Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I happened to stop by a local Apple retail store over the weekend to see if they have the new Mac Pro on display yet. The employee said they don't and they've been told that their location will NOT have one for display. Only select locations will have the Mac Pro on display. This store was located in a "High End" shopping mall so that was quite a surprise.

I live in a major metropolitan area with several Apple retail stores. The employee was able to tell me which location will have it on display.

You heard it here first.

Also of note, the now obsolete Trash Can had been expunged from the store, but that same employee didn't even know it was gone... Funny.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I happened to stop by a local Apple retail store over the weekend to see if they have the new Mac Pro on display yet. The employee said they don't and they've been told that their location will NOT have one for display. Only select locations will have the Mac Pro on display. This store was located in a "High End" shopping mall so that was quite a surprise.

Just because people are wealthy doesn't mean they need this tool. It primarily a tool be used in professional work. Do doctors shop for medical devices at this high end shopping mall? Probably not. Is it the end of the world for medical device supplier that they aren't there? Nope. This tool of Apple's is in the same boat.

The presentation at WWDC of the $999 stand went over like a brick. It would be even worse for the non very high use computer tool professional masses roaming through a mall.

Highly likely that almost no mall store gets the rack variant of the Mac Pro for display either.

Apple should put these only where there has been higher than average business buys of previous Mac Pros. Low sales sites should be dropped (huge waste of money and space).

Also of note, the now obsolete Trash Can had been expunged from the store, but that same employee didn't even know it was gone... Funny.

It has been tossed a long while back from many of the smaller Apple Stores. So there were lots of stores where there wasn't a current Mac Pro a couple of months ago also. It just going to grow to a larger group .

And honestly, the Holiday buying season is bad timing even if wanted to throw table space at the Mac Pro.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
As far as online Apple resellers, MacConnection was the only place where I could find the 2019 MacPro.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
I will be curious where they end up cropping up. On Monday the old Mac Pro was replaced by an iMac at Apple Upper East Side. I assume the flagship Midtown location will have one. Dunno about any others in NYC.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Just because people are wealthy doesn't mean they need this tool. It primarily a tool be used in professional work. Do doctors shop for medical devices at this high end shopping mall? Probably not. Is it the end of the world for medical device supplier that they aren't there? Nope. This tool of Apple's is in the same boat.

The presentation at WWDC of the $999 stand went over like a brick. It would be even worse for the non very high use computer tool professional masses roaming through a mall.

Highly likely that almost no mall store gets the rack variant of the Mac Pro for display either.

Apple should put these only where there has been higher than average business buys of previous Mac Pros. Low sales sites should be dropped (huge waste of money and space).

It has been tossed a long while back from many of the smaller Apple Stores. So there were lots of stores where there wasn't a current Mac Pro a couple of months ago also. It just going to grow to a larger group .

And honestly, the Holiday buying season is bad timing even if wanted to throw table space at the Mac Pro.

A friend checked Bellevue WA and was told "Not gonna be here". Also confirmed U-Village Seattle will get it.
Bellevue WA is both wealthy AND has high professional density. I would even bet one could buy an MRI machine within walking distance of the Apple store ?
[automerge]1576626602[/automerge]
The Apple Store near the University of Washington in Seattle didn't have one on display, but the person I spoke with said she had been told they would have one "soon". However, she may have seen the brick of cheese I had in my hand and decided to steer me away from their demo unit.
Funny: Come check out the new Mac Pro in person - only in cities where drug addicts crap on sidewalks!!!

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Surely if Apple felt there was value in providing a few YouTube bloggers a pre-release unit they could outfit all of their stores for the same reason.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Surely if Apple felt there was value in providing a few YouTube bloggers a pre-release unit they could outfit all of their stores for the same reason.

Do these Apple anointed you-tubas produce content exemplifying the 7,1 capabilities?
Me thinks I've probably seen better film on teeth... But it's probably about view count as in WTF do I know???

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Only Sydney flagship store to have one on display here in Oz. Quite incredible really.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
What capabilities? Anything done on a 7,1 could be done on a 6,1 or 5,1 - but perhaps not as quickly.

Is there any new creative software that only runs on a 7,1?
Until a week ago they were done on a 5,1 or 6,1. One could make the argument anyone still using a Mac doesn't require the capability 2019 Mac Pro as they've been getting by without it. Anyone who needed the capabilities of then2019 Mac Pro left the platform because they had no choice.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I live in the DC area and confirmed last week that delaware is the closest store to carry one. Its insane since there are 10 stores here and yet the georgetown, carnegie library and tysons wont get it.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I called the Portland Pioneer Place store and they told me they don't have a Mac Pro or Pro Display XDR on display, but they're hopeful they will soon. They didn't know when though.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
What capabilities? Anything done on a 7,1 could be done on a 6,1 or 5,1 - but perhaps not as quickly.

Is there any new creative software that only runs on a 7,1?

Good Point. However Catalina is not supported on the 5,1.
[automerge]1576637426[/automerge]
I called the Portland Pioneer Place store and they told me they don't have a Mac Pro or Pro Display XDR on display, but they're hopeful they will soon. They didn't know when though.

Portland passes the "Drug addicts crapping on sidewalks" criteria, so you should be able to check it out there soon.

Somian

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I'd really like to see the pro display and new Mac Pro in action. Does anyone know if either of the stores in Cupertino has it on display? I was in the one in Westfield Valley Fair today and they don't have it.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
An employee told me Friday at flagship stores. Take that for what you will, I dunno how much individual employees actually know.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I live in a major metropolitan area with several Apple retail stores. The employee was able to tell me which location will have it on display.

You heard it here first.

I wouldn't necessarily believe an employee working at a store if a store will eventually or not get a sales Mac Pro.

I live in the DC area and confirmed last week that delaware is the closest store to carry one. Its insane since there are 10 stores here and yet the georgetown, carnegie library and tysons wont get it.

The Mac Pro stock is very constrained right now and the stores may end up getting them when stock has caught up to demand.

Like any other Apple product, I would wait awhile before ordering unless people absolutely need it now. Early adopters of new Apple designs usually encounter problems (i.e. Apple seems to use the early adopters as beta testers :) ).

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Until a week ago they were done on a 5,1 or 6,1. One could make the argument anyone still using a Mac doesn't require the capability 2019 Mac Pro as they've been getting by without it. Anyone who needed the capabilities of then2019 Mac Pro left the platform because they had no choice.

I think most content creators were/are using the iMac Pro.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Will have to check out the Christiana Mall store in DE as its about 20 minutes from me. Would like to see it in person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.