Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
No, it is not. I asked if you had any supporting data and this latest statement of yours is not data but rather opinion.

The Mac Pro is built-to-order. For supporting data, see apple.com and show me where it says they will stock very high value niche hardware in stores & a range of very high value BTO hardware options. Show me where it says they will build-while-you-wait. Show me the data that points to hardware engineers being available in-store to do all this work.

Right now, it isn't available and there's no plans to stock it in stores either.

Maybe if they release a consumer focused modular Mac (rumoured) then it probably would be stocked in select stores.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
The Mac Pro is built-to-order. For supporting data, see apple.com and show me where it says they will stock very high value niche hardware in stores & a range of very high value BTO hardware options. Show me where it says they will build-while-you-wait. Show me the data that points to hardware engineers being available in-store to do all this work.
Every Macintosh offering is available built-to-order from apple.com so I do not see any value in the above.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
They have one at the 5th ave NYC store! 12 core with 96gb ram and matte display. Also have a 16 inch pro connected to the glossy display. Here’s my son with it.

edit: they also have one at the 14th st store in the meat packing district. Why not go to two Apple stores in one day when you are killing time in NYC.

Attachments

• 7929AB12-1B57-4DD2-BBF9-B508E1BFC31E.jpeg
    7929AB12-1B57-4DD2-BBF9-B508E1BFC31E.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 160
  • F89482AB-F779-4606-B18C-0AF0EFA4F19F.jpeg
    F89482AB-F779-4606-B18C-0AF0EFA4F19F.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

bwinter88

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
In Los Angeles, an Apple rep confirmed to me it will NOT be at the Beverly Center location, but WILL be at Century City location, after New Years. No mention of the Grove location.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
They have one at the 5th ave NYC store! 12 core with 96gb ram and matte display. Also have a 16 inch pro connected to the glossy display. Here’s my son with it.

edit: they also have one at the 14th st store in the meat packing district. Why not go to two Apple stores in one day when you are killing time in NYC.

Damn, I was in NYC from Friday-Tuesday and stopped at the 5th Avenue store on Saturday the 21st and they didn't have the Mac Pro or Pro Display there yet. I asked and the person I spoke to said they would get them "soon" but that was *really* soon. Regardless, my Mac Pro arrived today and my nano Pro Display is set to be delivered tomorrow. I still would have loved to compare the regular and nano versions of the display in person.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
One clarification: You will not be able to purchase from the store. You can order online and have it delivered to store, but no configurations will be carried in store.

Reactions: OkiRun

IanK MacPro

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2018
Buckinghamshire, UK
They had one in the London Covent Garden store when I popped in on Boxing Day, along with 2 XDR displays. The machine looked great, was pleasantly surprised by how compact it was compared to the 5.1's I have

Attachments

• _DSC1796.jpg
    _DSC1796.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 100

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Can confirm they have one at the Christiana Mall in northern Delaware. Had a pair of XDR displays as well. Couldn’t get a close look at it cause there was a line formed inside the store which wrapped around the table it was displayed on. Looked great from afar, though. Wish I had the need for such a nice looking machine.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
5th Avenue Store. They had 6k footage on a loop which was incredible on Nano tech display. The glossy XDR display was to the right hooked up to a 16” MBP.

The Mac Pro was 12-core, 96gb ram and a Pro Vega II card.

Dangerous to see in person for my wallet. Best Apple product I’ve ever seen. Simply incredible in person.

CB1E39E7-3625-4C94-9F1D-F32EF00255AD.jpeg
C3B45E65-FFF8-4685-B24C-8F6E940A22C2.jpeg

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I love how the back of the new Pro XDR Display matches the Mac Pro! Not something I'll ever need or really be able to afford but it is fun to see the photos of the display models! After the holiday rush is all finished in my local area I'll go over to the Tysons Apple Store to see if they've got this setup on display.

Reactions: natallica

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
They had one in the London Covent Garden store when I popped in on Boxing Day, along with 2 XDR displays. The machine looked great, was pleasantly surprised by how compact it was compared to the 5.1's I have
I’ll be going there next week to check them out. Do you know if they had the glossy and matte version displays out?

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
5th Avenue Store. They had 6k footage on a loop which was incredible on Nano tech display. The glossy XDR display was to the right hooked up to a 16” MBP.

Dangerous to see in person for my wallet. Best Apple product I’ve ever seen. Simply incredible in person.

Do you think this means configurations other than the base model will be available at the stores?

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
One here in Toronto’s Eaton Centre as well. It’s really solidly built and the circular cut outs are quite sharp.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Do you think this means configurations other than the base model will be available at the stores?

They said they didn’t have stock at the time yet. The iMac Pro doesn’t have other configuration besides base I don’t think. Not sure if these ever will.

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia

When the Apple Store Sydney set theirs up just before Christmas -

12 core, 96GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega II, 4TB storage, and Afterburner

- they said they were keeping only this config in stock and had a number of preconfigured machines ready to go, at $22k AUD.

(As of yesterday, they had no stock of any configs. Not sure how many they'd started with, but at least some people jumped at a nice Christmas present. Also, the Pro Display XDR won't be restocked until March, but they did have a Stand left if I wanted it: $1,699.00 AUD.)

Looking at this photo, the current iMac looks like it can easily fit into that HDR Pro Display.

I was literally just measuring up my 27" iMac Pro, which is suspended on a VESA articulating arm, with a view to replacing it with a Pro Display XDR.

Yes, the iMac does fit inside, but the extra width of the 32" Pro Display is surprisingly small, as this tape measure across the middle of the photo shows:

IMG_2349.jpg

The smaller bezels of the Pro Display let it fit more screen into just a slightly larger monitor width.

(By the way, the best Mac that Apple has ever made is in that photo.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.