Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
What exactly is a flagship store? The main store in a population center of perhaps 500k or more people?

Flagship stores are generally the larger ones with special amenities. Doesn't have to do with population size, but usually they're in populated areas.

I can't find a list online, but it is a designation Apple uses. Examples are the Fifth Avenue Store in NYC, Union Square in San Francisco, U Village in Seattle, and Pioneer Place in Portland.

They've typically been the first to adopt the town square design, have kept the theater area for demos, etc.

They're typically not found in indoor malls.

Here's a USA Today article that talks about what usually designates a flagship:

Reactions: MisterAndrew

RyanXM

Contributor
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
It's my opinion Apple sent these three YouTubers pre-release units more for exposure and less because they needed one.

MKBHD shoots in RED RAW so he certainly uses the power of the Mac Pro. His iMac Pro keeps up with the footage, but the Mac Pro proved that it can get through the footage faster, even without using the AfterBurner Card.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
MKBHD shoots in RED RAW so he certainly uses the power of the Mac Pro. His iMac Pro keeps up with the footage, but the Mac Pro proved that it can get through the footage faster, even without using the AfterBurner Card.
There's no doubt the 2019 Mac Pro will make many people's tasks faster. The question is: Do they absolutely need it to get their work done.

Reactions: RyanXM

RyanXM

Contributor
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
There's no doubt the 2019 Mac Pro will make many people's tasks faster. The question is: Do they absolutely need it to get their work done.

For what MKBHD does, I would say yes. Time is money. And I would bet that he and others do work outside of just YouTube videos...

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Just because people are wealthy doesn't mean they need this tool. It primarily a tool be used in professional work. Do doctors shop for medical devices at this high end shopping mall? Probably not. Is it the end of the world for medical device supplier that they aren't there? Nope. This tool of Apple's is in the same boat.

The presentation at WWDC of the $999 stand went over like a brick. It would be even worse for the non very high use computer tool professional masses roaming through a mall.

Highly likely that almost no mall store gets the rack variant of the Mac Pro for display either.

Apple should put these only where there has been higher than average business buys of previous Mac Pros. Low sales sites should be dropped (huge waste of money and space).

It has been tossed a long while back from many of the smaller Apple Stores. So there were lots of stores where there wasn't a current Mac Pro a couple of months ago also. It just going to grow to a larger group .

And honestly, the Holiday buying season is bad timing even if wanted to throw table space at the Mac Pro.
I doubt most people would use the power of the top Mac mini.
Who knows though Apple might sell more of the Mac Pro if it were in the Apple store.

If people were to at least see it in person there might be more
impulse purchases and free advertising as well.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

That’s ultimately for them to decide.

You seem to be needlessly obsessing over the term “need”, and appear to be stuck in some sort of cognitive dissonance loop where you have convinced yourself that the Mac Pro is redundant because any potential customer would either have already migrated to windows or would get by just fine using a lower-end Mac product.

In a sense, it reminds me of all the posts by people claiming how the ipad will never replace a laptop because of a certain limitation. Which to me is disingenuous, because not everyone is affected equally by the same shortcoming.

Instead, it would be more meaningful to discuss the strengths of an ipad and highlight use cases where it excels in, so users can make an informed decision as to whether they should get an ipad to do whatever it is they want to do, or opt for something else. And the reality is that there are many people already using iPads for work (and play), for a variety of reasons.

Likewise, I feel that the word “need” here is a red herring and ultimately disingenuous.

Rather, what would be more meaningful is to showcase how much better workflows are improved by a Mac Pro over the next best alternative, and let consumers make an informed decision as to whether they would benefit from getting one or not.

For example, the writer of the article linked above has this to say about the Mac Pro.

A complex multi-layered 8K Export takes 3 hours and 29 minutes on the iMac Pro whereas it only takes 1 hour an 40 minutes on the Mac Pro.

This is a very real, quantifiable example. It shows, rather than simply tells, how the Mac Pro improves his workflow. Users can then decide for themselves whether the time savings is worth the extra financial outlay, and whether they absolutely “need” one.

And even if it’s just an irrational want, there’s nothing stopping them from enjoying the perks nonetheless.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate

the beautiful thing is I don’t have to care whether you think I need anything or not. I can easily afford it and I bought it. Your perspective of necessity never entered the equation. ?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I live in the DC area and confirmed last week that delaware is the closest store to carry one. Its insane since there are 10 stores here and yet the georgetown, carnegie library and tysons wont get it.

That's really surprising. I would've thought that the Tysons store would've gotten a display model since it is right in the heart of the Northern Virginia technology and business area..... A store in Delaware -- surely it's not the one at Christiana Mall? Is there a store in Wilmington? -- would have an advantage only in that if purchased on-site there would not include a state sales tax since Delaware doesn't have that. Christiana Mall is a huge shopping mall frequented by the hordes coming from the states immediately surrounding it (Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey) because of the freedom from state sales tax.......

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Would a store allow you to bring a workflow in, load it on their 7.1 and let you work for an hour on it?
Seems to me, that is what you would need to do to make it worth your while to go look at it. I suspect that just having the desktop up on a monitor and opening and closing apps is no different experience than doing it on an iMac Pro machine.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I believe there are some that Apple designates that way. 5th ave, SM promenade, etc... I may be wrong though.

I know Apple designates some of them that way, but I'm unsure how they make that distinction. Is there a list of flagship stores?
[automerge]1576730640[/automerge]
Flagship stores are generally the larger ones with special amenities. Doesn't have to do with population size, but usually they're in populated areas.

I can't find a list online, but it is a designation Apple uses. Examples are the Fifth Avenue Store in NYC, Union Square in San Francisco, U Village in Seattle, and Pioneer Place in Portland.

They've typically been the first to adopt the town square design, have kept the theater area for demos, etc.

They're typically not found in indoor malls.

Here's a USA Today article that talks about what usually designates a flagship:

Thanks. So the Pioneer Place store close to me meets the criteria of a flagship store. They should be getting a display model then.

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Only Sydney flagship store to have one on display here in Oz. Quite incredible really.

Is it there now?

The Sydney CBD Apple Store is closing for renovations on the 5th of January (presumably so they can equip it with a jungle wall), so I wonder where it will go after that. Bondi?

I'd like to see the Mac Pro and especially XDR displays (nano vs gloss) in person, but it means a train ride and with the smoke and heat around at the moment, I'm more likely to get my own Mac Pro before even seeing one.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Can’t tell you I’m in Melbourne. I assume they will get it with the first wave arriving Tuesday 24th. We’ve all received shipping notifications for that day.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
I've just visited our local store. They don't have it and will never have it. How stupid is that? They couldn't even tell where I can have a look at it! Buy it online or leave it was the answer.

WTF is Apple thinking?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I've just visited our local store. They don't have it and will never have it. How stupid is that? They couldn't even tell where I can have a look at it! Buy it online or leave it was the answer.

You are talking to floor folks? That store probably has a business customer rep. Or minimally has the contact info for the business rep for the area.

It isn't a stupid idea if they aren't going to sell hardly any of them. Apple is not trying to sell this to folks for "fun" or "conspicuous consumption". If have a real business then talk to the business rep. Those are the folks that are going to sell this.

A small subset of store may have sold an unusually large number of very high end Mac Pros in the past. Apple probably knows which stores those were. And those are the ones more likely to get fixed, 'largely do nothing all day", demo units.

What stupid is allocate $12K worth of equipment for random folks to surf the web for giggles on.

The MP 2013 was dropped from more than a few stores and it was in the $4K range. This version is significantly more expensive and will drop even more stores.

Part of the problem here is Apple has shrunk their value-add-reseller options they have. ( and that more folks think the Apple store is the only possible place to look. ) . The main sales flow of Apple stores is not what the product is aimed at. Trying to force this product on the stores isn't necessarily going to work well.

Reactions: OkiRun

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
You are talking to floor folks? That store probably has a business customer rep. Or minimally has the contact info for the business rep for the area.

It isn't a stupid idea if they aren't going to sell hardly any of them. Apple is not trying to sell this to folks for "fun" or "conspicuous consumption". If have a real business then talk to the business rep. Those are the folks that are going to sell this.

A small subset of store may have sold an unusually large number of very high end Mac Pros in the past. Apple probably knows which stores those were. And those are the ones more likely to get fixed, 'largely do nothing all day", demo units.

What stupid is allocate $12K worth of equipment for random folks to surf the web for giggles on.

The MP 2013 was dropped from more than a few stores and it was in the $4K range. This version is significantly more expensive and will drop even more stores.

Part of the problem here is Apple has shrunk their value-add-reseller options they have. ( and that more folks think the Apple store is the only possible place to look. ) . The main sales flow of Apple stores is not what the product is aimed at. Trying to force this product on the stores isn't necessarily going to work well.

Maybe they have a responsible, but why didn't the floor guy guide me to him? I just felt completely offset by Apple and also decided NOT to buy a current iMacPro today. Also it was not even possible to hook up a MBP to an extermal monitor as they don't even have one anymore (speaking of the LGs). They announced MacPro and a 6K monitor 6 months ago and they still don't have enough parts and don't want to show them to public. It's just complete nonsense.

The only thing that makes sense is my good old 5,1 still running under my desk and my MBP 15" 2013 which has never made any problems at all. I'll probably stay with them and stay happy :)

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Uh, whatever happened to the halo effect we heard so much about? Regardless Apple having a display model at each of their stores isn't going to break the bank.

Reactions: majus

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Uh, whatever happened to the halo effect we heard so much about? Regardless Apple having a display model at each of their stores isn't going to break the bank.

It’s a space issue. Both on the floor and in the stock room. No use in wasting space on a product that may never sell in store.

Flagships are a special case due to the increased space and the less direct focus on $ per square foot.

All the Apple Stores would commonly pull even the older cheaper Mac Pros from the floor for certain events. They just never sold in store, even at cheaper prices. Everyone has been ordering BTO online.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
It’s a space issue. Both on the floor and in the stock room. No use in wasting space on a product that may never sell in store.

Flagships are a special case due to the increased space and the less direct focus on $ per square foot.

All the Apple Stores would commonly pull even the older cheaper Mac Pros from the floor for certain events. They just never sold in store, even at cheaper prices. Everyone has been ordering BTO online.

They ordered them online because they had to as they are not in the stores.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
You'd think they would put this into every larger store for people to marvel at. Especially when it's new and comes with that hyped-up display.

Reactions: defjam

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Apple doesn’t want to put the scare into their consumer customers for no reason by displaying an Apple computer that could cost as much as some folks car.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
People are willing to pay > $1000 for a telefon and Apple shows up dozens of them in the store, why shouldn't Apple also show their expensive computers in their stores? It's a flagship product. Where is the idea of having a real shop and not showing up theri products? It's like Mercedes would only show A- and B-class cars in their store...

Reactions: defjam and OkiRun

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
People are willing to pay > $1000 for a telefon and Apple shows up dozens of them in the store, why shouldn't Apple also show their expensive computers in their stores? It's a flagship product. Where is the idea of having a real shop and not showing up theri products? It's like Mercedes would only show A- and B-class cars in their store...
Not every jewelry store has a 40 carrot diamond on hand even though they sell diamonds.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.