Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Well...

Just made two videos with my SGS3 showing the problem if I decide to return it tomorrow. That way I can show it to the store guys.

Im uploading it to YouTube so you guys can see it. This is the "grounding" issue, when the tablet is flat on a surface, but I've also experienced different issues with the touchscreen when holding it with my hands, like when playing games.

Maybe I could go for the LG G Pad 8.3... Ugh... why this has to happen...

EDIT: Uploaded the video to YouTube. Search for "Nexus 7 problem" with filter last hour or last 24 hours.

Is your name Pablo? I think I found your video and yes it definitely looks like a problem and looks like it would get annoying. I tested my N7 again and same results, the touchscreen works fine on mine, regardless if its on a hard or soft surface. I tend to always have it in my hand but no issues here either way. I also have a screen protector on.

If I were you I would exchange it once more and if it's still an issue move onto something else. Thats if you're willing to do so and possibly go through more hassle. I'd hate to give this tablet up though I love mine.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Well...

Just made two videos with my SGS3 showing the problem if I decide to return it tomorrow. That way I can show it to the store guys.

Im uploading it to YouTube so you guys can see it. This is the "grounding" issue, when the tablet is flat on a surface, but I've also experienced different issues with the touchscreen when holding it with my hands, like when playing games.

Maybe I could go for the LG G Pad 8.3... Ugh... why this has to happen...

EDIT: Uploaded the video to YouTube. Search for "Nexus 7 problem" with filter last hour or last 24 hours.

Mine is from July.

In other news, iPad Air is getting glowing reviews. No surprises there. Quite a beautiful device. I assume the iPad Mini Retina Display will follow suit with just as favorable reviews.

Interestingly enough, Anandtech's review of the iPad Air point to iOS 7 being a weak point. I'd agree.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Well... returned mine today.

Will wait for 4.4 to see if it fixes anything. I may buy one again, install 4.4 and see how that goes. If the problem persists then I'll return it (again) and buy something else.

Can't stay much longer without a tablet...

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Well... returned mine today.

Will wait for 4.4 to see if it fixes anything. I may buy one again, install 4.4 and see how that goes. If the problem persists then I'll return it (again) and buy something else.

Can't stay much longer without a tablet...

The only difficult thing is: How will you know if 4.4 fixed your issue, since you won't have the actual tablet to update and then experiment with? Since your issue doesn't seem to be a common one, except for a topic on XDA forums. Although, I suppose you could check there and see if the update fixed it for others too.

Sorry you had to return it. I would do the same if I had touchscreen issues but fortunately for me my Nexus 7 is perfect. I honestly cant think of another tablet that is this capable and fast for the price tag. Entry level price, mid-high level performance. But of course with a screen that doesn't properly register touch in certain conditions, it's no good.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Kit Kat to bring full screen mode?

This is really worth sharing in this thread since I know a lot of people hate that the 7" Nexus 7 doesn't take advantage of the full 7" screen: https://twitter.com/amir/status/395757488668033024

6VDUzJA.png

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Kit Kat to bring full screen mode?

This is really worth sharing in this thread since I know a lot of people hate that the 7" Nexus 7 doesn't take advantage of the full 7" screen: https://twitter.com/amir/status/395757488668033024

Only problem is its down to devs to implement it and let's face it 90% of them don't follow Googles guidelines as it is - this just gives them an extra guideline to ignore alongside menu buttons and such...

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Only problem is its down to devs to implement it and let's face it 90% of them don't follow Googles guidelines as it is - this just gives them an extra guideline to ignore alongside menu buttons and such...

So true. If developers can't even be consistent about a back button, they surely won't be consistent about a full screen mode.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Yup. The feature is there. Up to them.

EDIT: If the rumor is true.

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
I really want one of these, but am totally put off by all the reports of problems with it... I don't really want to be exchanging devices over and over until I get a good one.

I'm wondering if there really is a "widespread" issue or the people who are having issues are very vocal.

Last edited:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I really want one of these, but am totally put off by all the reports of problems with it... I don't really want to be exchanging devices over and over until I get a good one.

I'm wondering if there really is a "widespread" issue or the people who are having issues are very vocal.

Don't be put off. I'm willing to bet the majority got a perfect working device and I'm certain small issues go unnoticed by average consumers. I say give it a shot and see if you like it. If its problematic you can simply return. It really is a great tablet. I can't put mine down. And its a gaming powerhouse.

Last edited:

C5Longhorn

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010

same here and I may be able to give you my opinion tomorrow. I'm looking at a Nexus 7 to hold me over until I make a decision on an Ipad Air.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Does anyone else wirelessly charge their Nexus 7?

I do and it seems to work great however once its fully charged the tablet seems like it still stays warm while it sits on the charger, which means it doesn't cut off charging when it's full? Any advice, or info? Thanks.

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I've done a battery test on my Nexus 7 using an AT&T sim and then just this week with a T-Mobile sim.

Battery life using the AT&T sim is bad, I mean seriously bad. In just a few hours of occasional use, the battery will drop down to 70% and over night after about 16 hrs, about 30-40%.

Using the T-Mobile sim, I am amazed. After 12 hrs with occasional use, the battery is at 86%.

The bad of course is that the coverage is not as good using the T-Mobile sim but I think the battery life is a good compromise. I want to be able to use it rather than have to worry about how long I can go between charges.

I had also noticed the same thing on my old 4S. Using a AT&T sim, I was lucky to get a full day in. Using the T-Mobile sim, I get 2-2.5 days with about 4 hrs usage.

I wish I could get great battery life on the Nexus 4. It's been up and down. Will get a Nexus 5 at tax time.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
What apps do you keep running in the backgraund ?
Btw tell me some good android games now I'm looking at modern combat 4, minecraft PE and Fieldrunners HD :confused: (can't decide which to get )

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
How much battery percentage does your guys' Nexus 7 (2013) drop overnight? I swear mine would only drop 1-2% overnight when I first got it, now its dropping 4%. Maybe I left WiFi on. Either way it's not a terrible drop, just wondering what you guys experience? I'm new to Android but does the battery life get worse the more apps you download?

Last edited:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Quick (stupid) question. I left my N7 on its LG wireless charger overnight and in the morning it was still pretty warm when I took it off. Did I do any damage to the battery? It was on the charger for about 12 hours. Why don't wireless chargers stop after they're full?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.