Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Went to Best Buy and exchanged my N7 for another hoping the wireless charging would work on the new unit. Got to work, opened it up, placed it on the LG pad and it instantly starting charging. Awesome. Also picked up a Chromecast just for sh-ts and giggles. Got the N7 on it's pad, and it's updating to 4.3 Jellybean. :D Btw, I have heard that the wireless charger doesn't charge that fast but it seems just as quick as being plugged in. Again, I haven't had the tablet too long to really know, but its juicing it up at a fine rate.

AND DAMN, the new iPad mini is $399 for the 16gb?! Makes me even happier that I picked up my new N7 for $229. It's a steal for the power, performance, screen, portability, instant updates/support and sheer smooth buttery experience. The new mini is now $170 more than the N7. Choice is clear to me. Even last years mini which will lower in price still has a screen that's just not up to par and a chip that's a few years old.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
It seems the iPad Mini 2 doesnt have stereo speakers. It has two holes on the bottom but only one of them is the speaker.

Another big point for the Nexus 7 with its stereo speakers.

Please Google just fix the multitouch issue...

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The problem is, all you mentioned is numbers. Number don't equate to a great user experience. With a retina Mini, you get a product you know will be supported, get the latest updates, run the OS smoothly, and have the best apps available. Not to mention major Apple apps (iLife and iWork) are now completely free. Regardless of numbers, the overall user experience just won't compete. iPad Mini will easily outsell the G Pad.

Tell that to current iPad Mini and iPad 3 owners with latest iOS 7 installed. Many have lag and the overall system slows down. And remember you dont always get the latest features: AirDrop is not available on iPad 2 and 3.

With Google you do get all the new features, and I havent seen major slowdowns with new updates on any Nexus device.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It seems the iPad Mini 2 doesnt have stereo speakers. It has two holes on the bottom but only one of them is the speaker.

Another big point for the Nexus 7 with its stereo speakers.

Please Google just fix the multitouch issue...

You didn't exchange your device? I exchanged mine and haven't had the multi-touch issue occur ever since.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
You didn't exchange your device? I exchanged mine and haven't had the multi-touch issue occur ever since.

Yeah, I did. New one is better but I have the same problem with some games (mainly Asphalt 8). Didn't have it on the first day with the out of the box firmware, but after updating to the latest version the problem appeared.

Seems like a software issue. I'll wait until 4.4 and see if it gets fixed by then. If not maybe I'll change to another tablet.

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2005
VA
Cause of today's iPad event? Highly unlikely. It would be unprecedented.
no, just because that a big google event is taking place. If they announce a nexus 5 and a new nexus 10, you think they would tweak some of the insides on the 7?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at getting a nexus 7.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, I did. New one is better but I have the same problem with some games (mainly Asphalt 8). Didn't have it on the first day with the out of the box firmware, but after updating to the latest version the problem appeared.

Seems like a software issue. I'll wait until 4.4 and see if it gets fixed by then. If not maybe I'll change to another tablet.

If it's a software issue, I'd think it'd be more system-wide, no? Any other game where you notice this issue? Maybe it's with Asphalt 8?

Is there any free game that you notice this issue popping up? I'll test with my N7.

----------

no, just because that a big google event is taking place. If they announce a nexus 5 and a new nexus 10, you think they would tweak some of the insides on the 7?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at getting a nexus 7.

Ah, I see. I still think that's highly unlikely. They wouldn't refresh it so soon after release. That, too, would be unprecedented if they did.

You can wait, obviously, but I think you're safe to pull the trigger on the Nexus 7 now if you wanted to.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Question: when you get a notification on the Nexus 7 and you clear it or interact with it, does it also clear it on the Nexus 4? I assume if this works it will also work with other Android phones as well depending on the software version.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Thinking of selling my 2012 N7 for the new one. Is it worth it? Is there a big jump from the old nexus?

From everything I have read, it seems like a massive difference.

Question: when you get a notification on the Nexus 7 and you clear it or interact with it, does it also clear it on the Nexus 4? I assume if this works it will also work with other Android phones as well depending on the software version.

I would also like to know that.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

I don't have a nexus 4 but it should. It clears out between my HTC one and nexus 7 regardless of where I read it first. I have to assume it's the same with the nexus 4/5.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
If it's a software issue, I'd think it'd be more system-wide, no? Any other game where you notice this issue? Maybe it's with Asphalt 8?

Is there any free game that you notice this issue popping up? I'll test with my N7.

You can see different aspects of the issue in different apps. On maps the rotation gesture works 6 out of 10 times, for example.

On games like Asphalt 8 I select touch the sides of the screen to move the car to the left or right, and during the race sometimes the car loses control and crashes to the wall after I touch to move to one side. It's a slight touch, but the game thinks I'm still touching the screen and the car continues to the right or left until it crashes to a wall.

On Dead Trigger I saw problems too when moving around the camera while also walking around (when the tablet is sitting on a soft surface like the couch. On XDA they call it the grounding problem).

Sometimes also the screen freezes for a free seconds when using the Swype keyboard.

All this started to happen when updated to the latest version.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

For the most part no.

One example I can think of where it does clear out is email. If I get a new email on a push account and on my Nexus 4 delete the email, the notification on my Nexus 7 will go away (but only sometimes as it is pretty inconsistent). However, if on my Nexus 4 I just swipe away the notification, it will still be seen on my Nexus 7.

Calendar is supposed to have this synced notifications. But I just tried it for an alert for an event and it didn't work.

So ultimately, synced notifications are nonexistent on Android.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
For the most part no.

One example I can think of where it does clear out is email. If I get a new email on a push account and on my Nexus 4 delete the email, the notification on my Nexus 7 will go away (but only sometimes as it is pretty inconsistent). However, if on my Nexus 4 I just swipe away the notification, it will still be seen on my Nexus 7.

Calendar is supposed to have this synced notifications. But I just tried it for an alert for an event and it didn't work.

At one of the Google keynotes, they mentioned that this was eventually going to be a feature. I thought it would have been active by now but maybe they intend to activate it when KitKat is released.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
For the most part no.

That's cause swiping away the notification only discards the notification from the phone (you're not really doing anything to the actual email itself), whereas deleting the actual email is something that happens on Google's end, and so other devices synced to your email will recognize it's been deleted (or read).

In other words, swiping notifications away is a device-specific thing. There's no server that lets other devices know you swiped the notification away, so to speak.

----------

Hmm one person says it works and one says it doesn't. Who's gonna be the tiebreaker lol

I guess both our answers are correct.

If you "clear it" meaning you swipe away the notification, I believe that will not get rid of the notification on your tablet (or vice versa).

But if you "interact with it" -- meaning you actually read the email or delete the email, etc. -- then it should then "clear" the notification away on the tablet side (and vice versa). I've seen this happen between my HTC One and Nexus 7. Again, can't speak about the Nexus 4, but I would imagine it's the same.

And easy way to think of this is... if you swipe away a notification of an email on your phone, does anything happen to the real email at Gmail.com. If the answer is no, then it won't affect any other device synced to your gmail. If, however, you delete/read the email, what happens at Gmail.com? The email is also marked as deleted/read. Then, any device synced to your gmail will reflect that after a moment or two (usually within seconds, I've witnessed).

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
That's cause swiping away the notification only discards the notification from the phone (you're not really doing anything to the actual email itself), whereas deleting the actual email is something that happens on Google's end, and so other devices synced to your email will recognize it's been deleted (or read).

In other words, swiping notifications away is a device-specific thing. There's no server that lets other devices know you swiped the notification away, so to speak.

----------

If you "clear it" meaning you swipe away the notification, I believe that will not get rid of the notification on your tablet (or vice versa).

But if you "interact with it" -- meaning you actually read the email or delete the email, etc. -- then it should then "clear" the notification away on the tablet side (and vice versa). I've seen this happen between my HTC One and Nexus 7. Again, can't speak about the Nexus 4, but I would imagine it's the same.

And easy way to think of this is... if you swipe away a notification of an email, does anything happen to the real email at Gmail.com. If the answer is no, then it won't affect any other device synced to your gmail.

Ah, okay that makes sense. Thanks to you both.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

----------

And easy way to think of this is... if you swipe away a notification of an email on your phone, does anything happen to the real email at Gmail.com. If the answer is no, then it won't affect any other device synced to your gmail. If, however, you delete/read the email, what happens at Gmail.com? The email is also marked as deleted/read. Then, any device synced to your gmail will reflect that after a moment or two (usually within seconds, I've witnessed).

Yes. Clearing a notification won't sync across devices. The only way for it to sync is to interact with the notification. But even then it doesn't always work.

For example, late last night I got an email. Deleted the email on my Nexus 4 and didn't touch my Nexus 7. This morning when I woke up, my Nexus 7 still had that email in the notification pull down area.

So I guess a good way to put it is simply clearing notifications won't do anything. And interacting with the notifications will, but not consistently.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yes. Clearing a notification won't sync across devices. The only way for it to sync is to interact with the notification. But even then it doesn't always work.

For example, late last night I got an email. Deleted the email on my Nexus 4 and didn't touch my Nexus 7. This morning when I woke up, my Nexus 7 still had that email in the notification pull down area.

So I guess a good way to put it is simply clearing notifications won't do anything. And interacting with the notifications will, but not consistently.

Hm. Bizarre. This is with a Gmail account? I have multiple Gmail accounts synced to both my One and N7 and have not experienced this. I get multiple emails across the different accounts throughout the day, which I interact with on my One, and then when I get home to play/use my Nexus 7, I don't ever see those notifications still there.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
First look at Google's new Nexus 10?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Press-render-of-Google-Nexus-10-2013-leaks_id48654

Asus made:

2560 x 1600 resolution IGZO screen allowing for 13 hours of battery life, according to Asus. The slab is expected to be powered by a Tegra 4 chipset and should offer 2GB of RAM and 32GB of native storage.

10ten.png

My gut says rendering is fake.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
First look at Google's new Nexus 10?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Press-render-of-Google-Nexus-10-2013-leaks_id48654

Asus made:

2560 x 1600 resolution IGZO screen allowing for 13 hours of battery life, according to Asus. The slab is expected to be powered by a Tegra 4 chipset and should offer 2GB of RAM and 32GB of native storage.

My gut says rendering is fake.

That looks SO much better than the current one. So ya, might be fake ;)

----------

Definitely looks like a bad Photoshop job at the top with that sharp vertical line in the top left corner. It definitely isn't a reflection since you can see other reflections going at a different angle.

Plus, why would it have the Nexus 5 background on it? If this was a real leak from Google, it would likely have some sort of a 10 background.

Attachments

• 2013-10-23 23_14_26-10ten.png @ 334% (Layer 1, RGB_8) _.jpg
    2013-10-23 23_14_26-10ten.png @ 334% (Layer 1, RGB_8) _.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
That looks SO much better than the current one. So ya, might be fake ;)

----------

Definitely looks like a bad Photoshop job at the top with that sharp vertical line in the top left corner. It definitely isn't a reflection since you can see other reflections going at a different angle.

Plus, why would it have the Nexus 5 background on it? If this was a real leak from Google, it would likely have some sort of a 10 background.

Agreed. Specs might be believable but the rendering, not so much. .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.