Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Thinking of selling my 2012 N7 for the new one. Is it worth it? Is there a big jump from the old nexus?

In terms of display and cpu/gpu it is a step up. I own both a 2012 and 2013 model, both 32gb versions. The single biggest reason to upgrade is the screen. If you are happy with the 2012 version, then I would say it is not worth it to upgrade.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
iPad Mini w/ Retina Display starting at $399 for 16GB.

My big question is, why are they still selling the iPad 2 for $399? Does it have updated internals? Isn't that a 2.5+ year old device (released March 2011)? What a ridiculous price point. And shouldn't it be the iPad 4 aka previous generation's model there? Or at the very least, shouldn't it be the iPad 3? What a rip.

And no Touch ID for any model, not even the top level iPad Air. I'm surprised by this. Reports of low Touch ID yields is the culprit, me thinks. They'll prob. save it for next year's updates.

If I was to go back to iOS, it would've been with an iPad Mini Retina, but I think I'll be keeping my Nexus 7. That premium is not worth it especially for what, I think, is an inferior OS. I would've liked to have my hands in both worlds, but oh well.

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
399$ for the new mini... and it's only 16GB Wi-Fi!

Probably will only have 1GB RAM.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

The mini probably will not sell like the first mini did now that the Ipad Air is super thin, light, and looks like a spec horse. At only a $100 difference people who were thinking about a retina mini will probably just get the Air.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Ridiculous premium. It's something that should've been in the first model at $329, but they saved it for the second model and they raised the price.

Then there's that iPad 2 for $399. Insane.

----------

The mini probably will not sell like the first mini did now that the Ipad Air is super thin, light, and looks like a spec horse. At only a $100 difference people who were thinking about a retina mini will probably just get the Air.

You think so? Maybe for some who are on the fence, but I think people who want the Mini will specifically be looking for a more portable device.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

You think so? Maybe for some who are on the fence, but I think people who want the Mini will specifically be looking for a more portable device.

Yeah, I agree with Couch. The new Mini is a far more capable device than last years model, and even though the new iPar Air is lighter with a thinner footprint, it's still not nearly as portable. For every person that thinks that Air is only $100 more with the same specs, there will be another who says the Mini is $100 cheaper than the Air, with the same specs (excluding display size, of course).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah, I agree with Couch. The new Mini is a far more capable device than last years model, and even though the new iPar Air is lighter with a thinner footprint, it's still not nearly as portable. For every person that thinks that Air is only $100 more with the same specs, there will be another who says the Mini is $100 cheaper than the Air, with the same specs (excluding display size, of course).

I didn't really catch the full specs (internally)...are they the exact same? If so, I retract my previous statement. That just makes the decision to get a nexus 7 a lot easier at almost half the price.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Unrelated but since we're discussing today's Apple event: I'm a bit peeved I jumped on last year's rMBP. I can't believe they made it even thinner and lighter and with a longer battery.. I thought MacBooks didn't get redesigned for years at a time.

Dang it. :mad:

God, I love what Apple does with their Macs.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Unrelated but since we're discussing today's Apple event: I'm a bit peeved I jumped on last year's rMBP. I can't believe they made it even thinner and lighter and with a longer battery.. I thought MacBooks didn't get redesigned for years at a time.

Dang it. :mad:

God, I love what Apple does with their Macs.

not only that, but $200 cheaper. Totally shocked they priced something better for the people. I would buy a 13" Retina Pro right off the shelf stock. Usually I have to BTO

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I can't believe Apple increased the price of the Mini to $399. That is a ridiculous price for a 7" tablet, even if the ecosystem is better.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I can't believe Apple increased the price of the Mini to $399. That is a ridiculous price for a 7" tablet, even if the ecosystem is better.

when you compare the old mini to the new mini it is a big difference. The problem was the first gen was priced poorly. Same way they are still selling the ipad 2 for $399...who the hell is buying that thing at that price.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Not really considering the fact its as powerful as the full fledged iPad only smaller. $100 difference between the two makes sense.

Also if price was a major factor - you can pick up a 16gb Nexus 7.

Though after having an android tablet now, I see the benefits to Apple's tablet experience for me, and that is worth the extra €.

Other's may not think so, but remember Apple is not holding a gun at your head - you have a choice.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
not only that, but $200 cheaper. Totally shocked they priced something better for the people. I would buy a 13" Retina Pro right off the shelf stock. Usually I have to BTO

Wait hollup. Now I'm reading conflicting reports that the Retina MBP did not get redesigned. Same body.

I could've sworn I read it got thinner and lighter...

I'm so confused. Verge says they're lighter and thinner: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/22/4866808/apple-refreshes-macbook-pro-lineup

But MacRumors says they're the same: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/2...ell-processors-and-faster-pcie-flash-storage/

"No cosmetic changes"

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
when you compare the old mini to the new mini it is a big difference. The problem was the first gen was priced poorly. Same way they are still selling the ipad 2 for $399...who the hell is buying that thing at that price.

Seemingly a lot of people otherwise they wouldn't keep it around.

----------

Wait hollup. Now I'm reading conflicting reports that the Retina MBP did not get redesigned. Same body.

They said it was slightly thinner than last years non haswell models during the presentation.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Its official now.ipad air is the best full sized tablet and ipad mini 2 is the best portable tablet. To hell with android on tablets :p

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

I'm so confused. Verge says they're lighter and thinner: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/22/4866808/apple-refreshes-macbook-pro-lineup

But MacRumors says they're the same: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/2...ell-processors-and-faster-pcie-flash-storage/

"No cosmetic changes"

Only the 13 inch saw a minor design change.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Not really considering the fact its as powerful as the full fledged iPad only smaller. $100 difference between the two makes sense.

Also if price was a major factor - you can pick up a 16gb Nexus 7.

Though after having an android tablet now, I see the benefits to Apple's tablet experience for me, and that is worth the extra €.

Other's may not think so, but remember Apple is not holding a gun at your head - you have a choice.

I have pointed this out many times here and other sites as they did in the presentation but there are still far too many apps in Android that are just scaled up phone versions.

That has always been my most hated thing about owning an Android tablet and why my Mini got the most use over the past five months.

I only bought a Nexus 7 thinking that it could be an iPad replacement. That may have worked if the app quality was there.

When I bought the Mini four months later, I instantly regretted buying the Nexus 7.

I'll stick with iPads till they quit making them.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have pointed this out many times here and other sites as they did in the presentation but there are still far too many apps in Android that are just scaled up phone versions.

That has always been my most hated thing about owning an Android tablet and why my Mini got the most use over the past five months.

I only bought a Nexus 7 thinking that it could be an iPad replacement. That may have worked if the app quality was there.

When I bought the Mini four months later, I instantly regretted buying the Nexus 7.

I'll stick with iPads till they quit making them.

Yep agreed, for me tablet experience will remain iOS for now - I love my Note 3 as a phone however, and it will take a lot to bring me back to the iphone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
OK, 2012 Retina MacBook Pro 13":

Height: 0.75 inch (1.9 cm)
Width: 12.35 inches (31.4 cm)
Depth: 8.62 inches (21.9 cm)
Weight: 3.57 pounds (1.62 kg)

2013 Retina MBP 13":

Height: 0.71 inch (1.8 cm)
Width: 12.35 inches (31.4 cm)
Depth: 8.62 inches (21.9 cm)
Weight: 3.46 pounds (1.57 kg)2

It only got slightly thinner and slightly lighter.

But still, that battery life. Dang, and like you said Matto, $200 dollars cheaper.

It's a shame Apple isn't doing the same thing for their iPhone/iPad lines as they are for their Mac lines. When it comes to Macs, I am that Apple fan that feels they need to upgrade each year. Alas, I will resist, but dang, wish I waited.

----------

Only the 13 inch saw a minor design change.

Gotcha. That was hella confusing there.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Its closer to a 8" tablet. And the Galaxy Note 8 is 380.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C9V5FGC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1382468570&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

399 for a retina Mini ain't too bad considering how most companies sell hardware to make a profit.

Wow, didn't really the Note 8 was that much. Regardless, you bring up a good point--comparing it to other 8" tablets is more appropriate and while there still is an Apple 'tax' in the price, $399 vs. the $379 for the Galaxy Note 8 (which is ridiculously overpriced, IMO) or the $349 LG G Pad 8.3 isn't quite as difficult to stomach.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

It should be pointed out the halved the RAM, though, in the 13" model (which is the one I got last year) from 8GB to 4GB.

Ah well. I'll stop derailing the thread. :)

----------

You know who the real victims are of all this iPad news?

Nokia. lol.

----------

It'll be interesting to see how Google counters the iPad Air with this year's new Nexus 10.

Something similarly bulky and big as the current Nexus 10 will simply not do.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Wow, didn't really the Note 8 was that much. Regardless, you bring up a good point--comparing it to other 8" tablets is more appropriate and while there still is an Apple 'tax' in the price, $399 vs. the $379 for the Galaxy Note 8 (which is ridiculously overpriced, IMO) or the $349 LG G Pad 8.3 isn't quite as difficult to stomach.

Retina iPad mini is a huge upgrade from the LG G Pad if you ask me. 350-400 seems like a fair price. We are just getting spoiled by two companies to want to sell their tablets at cost. Reality is, these things cost money.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Retina iPad mini is a huge upgrade from the LG G Pad if you ask me. 350-400 seems like a fair price. We are just getting spoiled by two companies to want to sell their tablets at cost. Reality is, these things cost money.

I don't think I'd call it a huge upgrade. The LG is running on a Snapdragon 600 and resolution is comparable, likely also has double the RAM. Where you will really see a price difference is with additional memory storage. Adding an additional 64GB to the LG via microSD will cost about $50 while upgrading to a 64GB Mini will cost an additional $200 (and still leave you with 16GB less than the LG). So a G Pad with 80GB of storage will cost $400 while an iPad Mini with 64GB of storage will set you back $600.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I don't think I'd call it a huge upgrade. The LG is running on a Snapdragon 600 and resolution is comparable, likely also has double the RAM. Where you will really see a price difference is with additional memory storage. Adding an additional 64GB to the LG via microSD will cost about $50 while upgrading to a 64GB Mini will cost an additional $200 (and still leave you with 16GB less than the LG). So a G Pad with 80GB of storage will cost $400 while an iPad Mini with 64GB of storage will set you back $600.

The problem is, all you mentioned is numbers. Number don't equate to a great user experience. With a retina Mini, you get a product you know will be supported, get the latest updates, run the OS smoothly, and have the best apps available. Not to mention major Apple apps (iLife and iWork) are now completely free. Regardless of numbers, the overall user experience just won't compete. iPad Mini will easily outsell the G Pad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.