Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john123

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 20, 2001
From our friends at MOSR:

Could Apple finally be (almost) ready to release a slot-loading DVD/CD-RW PBG4? - 6:00 PM 9/20 - Rumor

While our Apple contacts cautioned that the company is in a state of flux right now and nothing is for certain when it comes to any product release beyond Mac OS X 10.1, the company apparently may have received a supply of slot-loading DVD/CD-RW drives that fit its ultrathin Powerbook G4 Titanium enclosure.
Several reports similar to this one have been received in the past five days:
Holy Smokes!!!!
My friend bought a Titanium/500 a couple of months ago and was just having a hell of a time with it! Finally, after talking to Apple for a couple of days and going through all the fix-it stuff, Apple told him to send it to their service center. OK.... When they sent it back, they not only gave him a brand new Titanium/500 but said "... we added a few extras..." The extra was a slot loading DVD/CD-RW! We have burned a couple of CDs and it works GREAT!!
Very interesting; the number of reports we've received causes us to tend to believe that Apple has indeed received such a supply, and may even be phasing out its stock of existing DVD drives - the suspected cause of so many readers receiving or hearing about others receiving "improved" PBG4s with these drives.
A cost-effective supply of combo DVD/CD-RW drives that will fit the PBG4 is a key element in Apple's struggle to line up the elements of a specification sheet worthy of a revision to the sleek, sexy, and successful model we have today. Motorola sources say that 533, 550, 600, and perhaps even 667MHz PowerPC 7410 processors may be available in time for Apple to release an updated PBG4 by year's end. That is believed to be coming a lot sooner than later, with up to 600MHz 7410's right away as soon as Apple can get the new 'Books ramped up in production, and the 667MHz model perhaps being a slightly delayed follow-on high-end model.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I don't know...

Somehow this posting sounds like one of those ******** "and I got my check for $4000 after forwarding it to 100 people" emails that go around every now and then. But maybe I'm wrong?

ebound

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2001
EGV, IL
Shouldn't you give credit to macosrumors.com, from whom you so beautifully PLAGARIZED. Don't rip off other rumor sites cause they got it first. Or at least give some credit to the site you took it from.

john123

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 20, 2001
No worries...I just hope that the MOSR report is at least close to true. I don't want to wait until SF 2002 to get my new laptop, and frankly, I don't even really care about the combo drive (if you get a combo, your burn speeds will be a lot slower than what they'd be if you bought an external). What I really want is a new graphics card and a speed bump.

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
AMEN!

That is just what I am saying! What is going to happen now that the Paris is off? Is Seybould still on? If so, then perhaps we will get our Ti2! And like he said.. it needs 600Mhz and 733Mhz (maybe a bit to liberal, but I am not ruling it out.. ) and Nvidia GeForce2Go 32MB! AND it had better have the better firewire i/o like the iBook as well as it would be nice to have better airport reception.

Combo Drive would be cool, but just as he said, it would be max 8x burn and would probably be a slower DVD speed too.. but at least it would be able to burn at all.. maybe it would be something that could be removed to get just the DVD with a BYO option. That would make sense.

iBook would still be insufficient with the screen size at 12.1. That is all I'll say about it.

john123

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 20, 2001
blah

Apple flatly denied the rumor about replacing Ti drives with combo drives (you can read this on Apple's Discussion board for PB's)....so it looks like MOSR screwed up yet again.

Blah.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
John123, wasnt it you many posts ago that said how important COMBO drives in laptops were? Infact I think it is that comment which started off my retorts and ended up in a verbal war which indluded many users

john123

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 20, 2001
yep

Originally posted by Kela
John123, wasnt it you many posts ago that said how important COMBO drives in laptops were? Infact I think it is that comment which started off my retorts and ended up in a verbal war which indluded many users

Yep, that's exactly what I said.

I think it still *is* important.

Just not to me.

I have hated lugging around my QPS 8/4/32 drive when I travel with my Pismo...but now that there are 24/10/40 drives out there, and an internal will suck goats, I'm slightly less interested in an internal.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Yeah, I read the argument too, guys -- it was unpleasant and probably doesn't need to be rehashed in an entirely different "new powerbook" thread.

Instead let's focus on what we're all hoping for, the announcement at Seybold of a 2GHz G5 Powerbook with twelve-hour battery life, 1GB RAM, a 100GB HD and a Superdrive, with a screen capable of full HD1080i resolution, enclosed in an as yet unidentified metal recovered from a crashed alien spaceship.

john123

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by Gelfin

Instead let's focus on what we're all hoping for, the announcement at Seybold of a 2GHz G5 Powerbook with twelve-hour battery life, 1GB RAM, a 100GB HD and a Superdrive, with a screen capable of full HD1080i resolution, enclosed in an as yet unidentified metal recovered from a crashed alien spaceship.

All for $999....

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
you rock

No, go ahead John, bash him! Certainly he must be an utter idiot to think that they would be able to find that much metal at just one alien spaceship crash! Man, who would ever think that unless Apple intends only to sell 500 of them!

And you got to know it would cost more like 1299, right?

sorry.. i had to...

AJW

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2001
Apple

Sounds like the forum moderator was just quoting a general Apple policy. Some "illegal" drive swapping may have been going on anyhow...

Besides, even if the denial is true, it only means that Apple is not giving out Combo's, not that there won't be a new TiBook at Seybold or MWSF.

john123

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Apple

Originally posted by AJW
Sounds like the forum moderator was just quoting a general Apple policy. Some "illegal" drive swapping may have been going on anyhow...

Besides, even if the denial is true, it only means that Apple is not giving out Combo's, not that there won't be a new TiBook at Seybold or MWSF.

If I have to wait til MWSF, I think I will explode.

GadgetLover

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2001
now how much would you pay?

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by john123

All for $999....

... and including (on the 10.1 install CD) MS Office v. X and an LCD that is touch sensative (Wacom tablet).

[Edited by GadgetLover on 09-25-2001 at 02:46 AM]

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: now how much would you pay?

Originally posted by GadgetLover
quote:

Originally posted by john123

All for $999....

... and including (on the 10.1 install CD) MS Office v. X and an LCD that is touch sensative (Wacom tablet).

[Edited by GadgetLover on 09-25-2001 at 02:46 AM]

I would give my first born child.....

:)

john123

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 20, 2001
Re: So is it coming or not?

Originally posted by idkew
I was waiting for Seybold for the new TiG4... Is it not going to come out now? Has everyone just been bsing?
I never realistically thought it would be Seybold in the first place. It's just the wrong venue for starters, and it would have distracted from the hype of 10.1.

If it will come out this year, it will be some time in the next month and a half (i.e., before Thanksgiving). Many have speculated an Apple event in late October. That would be just fine with me....

Of course, with the economy as it is, Apple may just sit on its hands until January. That would not make me a happy camper.

AJW

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2001
This weekend...

I've heard rumors at various sites of a "real" 10.1 ship date and possibly some new iMac/TiBook hardware this eekend or early next week in a yet-unannounced press event. Sounds like it might be Paris... without having Paris... for the press only. Hmmm... :) :) :)

[Edited by AJW on 09-27-2001 at 06:23 PM]

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
just a theory...

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple was having trouble clearing out the last remnants of the original TiBook.

What with the slippery economy and the national disaster and all, it's probably only us fanatical types who are chomping at the bit to buy a new TiBook, and we're all waiting for a new one, which Apple might not release until people buy up the existing inventory, which nobody is doing and so forth.

I hate Catch-22s. If I'm guessing right, it could be a longish wait, even if Apple has a big warehouse full of our alien space metal Powerbooks boxed and ready to ship right now. :-(

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
what sickens me is that what if Apple releases a new Ti G4 (i.e a revision) without an upgrade to the inbuilt graphics accelerator? I mean, just the usual 100 mHZ sped boost (if lucky) and ram upgrade would be dumb. The Tis need a better inbuilt gpu or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.