Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Last week were last minute claims that PowerBooks would see revisions on Tuesday. Tuesday came and went without any new releases... which seemed to effectively bury that rumor.

But, again, there are new notes that PowerBooks may see speed bumps this Tuesday... with suggestions of speeds toping out at 1.42GHz 17" PowerBooks with 1.33 GHz 15" PowerBooks. Same old tired rumor? or is there truth to it?

PowerBooks were last bumped in September after a prolonged wait. More frequent updates may help spur more consistent year around sales for Apple. In a surprise move, Apple recently did bump the mid-line PowerMac from 1.8GHz to Dual 1.8GHz.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I wouldn't necessarily put a whole lot more credence into this than over last week's powerbook on tuesday rumor.

but if you were about to buy a PowerBook, it might be reasonable to wait until Tuesday.

arn

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Screens fixed on 15" ?

instead of speed bumps, perhaps they have a solution to the screen problems reported on the new 15" Alu powerbooks, and in might be nothing more than that, on the other hand, both would be nice, perhaps even a G5?........

Well I can dream can I?

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
Fixing the 15" screen issue sounds more probable.

New Powerbooks next tuesday, eh? How come this sounds to me like the "New iPods next tuesday"-thing that kept going from January to the end of april ..? :rolleyes:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by k2k koos
Hey there? did you just move this article from the front page, to page 2, I was a little confused there, or is my Safari browser playing tricks on me?

accidently posted it to the front page initially... was always meant to be a Page 2 rumor.

arn

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
Why would Apple update the PB line this close to the holidays, and even more important, so close to Macworld? That is when I could see the line getting an update...

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Is there the possibility that Apple would increase the frequency of speed-bumps for all of the G4 computers in a effort to use up chips before everything goes to G5 sometime in the next couple of years.
I can't imagine that they still want new 800 MHz, 933 MHz and 1 GHz chips. So will they sell those until they are gone then make 1.25 GHz the slowest availible?
Has Apple ever "official" said when everything would be G5 (2005, 2006?).
Anyhow, my 450 MHz G3 iMac continues running strong (noticeably faster with Panther), and I continue to save money for what ever is the the top of the line Powerbook and the end of next.
Hopefully, by then they will be G5.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by hobbes3113
Why would Apple update the PB line this close to the holidays

So people buy them for the holidays. Not that I think it'll happen, I just think it would be a good idea, IF they could get them shipped in time for xmas, Chanukah, etc. Like that'll happen :rolleyes:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by hobbes3113
Why would Apple update the PB line this close to the holidays, and even more important, so close to Macworld? That is when I could see the line getting an update...

I don't think they would update them at MWSF unless it was a big update (i.e. G5s) which is probably not going to happen. A little speedbump is not something SJ would get all hyped about onstage at macworld.

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
Does anyone own the 12" PowerBook?

Hi,

Anyone own a 12" PowerBook running @ 1 GHz? What do you think about it?

I'm looking to replace my PB G3 (300 MHz) asap, but I want to wait to see what happens next month in SFO. If Apple bumps it to 1.25 G and drops the price about $200 or so, I think I could be pretty interested.

But I have no real first-hand experience with the machine -- other than the ones I've toyed with in Apple store.

Thanks.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by arn
I wouldn't necessarily put a whole lot more credence into this than over last week's powerbook on tuesday rumor.

but if you were about to buy a PowerBook, it might be reasonable to wait until Tuesday.

arn

Arn:

I'd like to submit a rumor for publication next weekend. I have it on good authority that new PowerBooks are to be released Tuesday 12/16. Please keep this anonymous.

Thank you:

Randy
:D :D

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I am still waiting on the 15" 1.25 PB which I ordered BTO a week after they were launched.

If they do update, this might the first case of a product ordered at launch that fails to get delivered before it's superseeded.

Am I pissed at Apple? - yes. Would an update satisfy this pissed-offness? Absolutely.

I will probably get a call from the reseller on Monday, saying its in, now that would really piss me off if the following day it were updated.

:mad:

fussball

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
I am just waiting for a 64mb video card in the 12" PB... once that happens I will buy a nice new book with my student developer's discount :)

anyone know if there are chances of a 64mb card in the 12's by february?

aub32

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2003
probable

We have 25 15" powerbooks on order, and 1 17" on order for a classroom cart that is ready to be shipped upon our word.

Its interesting because the apple rep keeps desperately trying to get us to accept the shipment. We are still trying to figure out where the computers are going to go, and in the meantime, we're all wondering why he's being so pushy. If there are upgrades coming, I would have to say that they're coming this week, and if they happen, he will probably give us a price cut OR we can opt for the upgraded models.

I'd put my money on this week for new PB's!

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Re: Screens fixed on 15" ?

Originally posted by k2k koos
instead of speed bumps, perhaps they have a solution to the screen problems reported on the new 15" Alu powerbooks

From what I heard the screen issues are already taken care of as well as latch issues. I was told if you have a screen issue call Applecare and they'll overnight you a shipment box and will replace your LCD.

Also if it's just a little speed bump releasing it before the holiday sounds more feazable as it's not a worthy enough update for MWSF. Most likely WWDC is when the next major revision will come in my mind.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just got my brand-new PowerBook 17" (i'm typing on it right now).

if it turns out to be true, is it possible to return it for the NEW, updated model????

because i got it on thursday, i believe there is a 10-day return policy, although i believe it would probably be impossible.

phampton81

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Can anyone tell me where the new powerbooks usually ship from, I just helped my sister order a 12" on Tuesday and it is shipping from Taiwan, is that normal? Even though it said 2-3 days shipping the Fed Ex estimates it will not arrive till this next Tuesday. Do they ever just ship the newer model without telling the customer? Thanks

zaphoyd

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2002
Wisconsin/Illinois
yes and yes

My powerbook (667 DVI) shipped from Taiwan. So yes, they definitely do ship powerbooks from there. Apple also has been known to bump unshipped orders of an old product to a similar new one.

davebl

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Arkansas
Re: Does anyone own the 12" PowerBook?

Originally posted by brhmac
Hi,

Anyone own a 12" PowerBook running @ 1 GHz? What do you think about it?

I'm looking to replace my PB G3 (300 MHz) asap, but I want to wait to see what happens next month in SFO. If Apple bumps it to 1.25 G and drops the price about $200 or so, I think I could be pretty interested.

But I have no real first-hand experience with the machine -- other than the ones I've toyed with in Apple store.

Thanks.

I am using a 12" 1ghz with only 256 mb ram. I bought it to eventually replace my 400mghz Sawtooth PowerPC.

In short: I love it. It's compact, powerful, and rather cool to look at. If the 12" screen won't do you at home, grab a monitor and hook it to the powerbook.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.