Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Does anyone own the 12" PowerBook?

Originally posted by brhmac
Hi,

Anyone own a 12" PowerBook running @ 1 GHz? What do you think about it?

I'm looking to replace my PB G3 (300 MHz) asap, but I want to wait to see what happens next month in SFO. If Apple bumps it to 1.25 G and drops the price about $200 or so, I think I could be pretty interested.

But I have no real first-hand experience with the machine -- other than the ones I've toyed with in Apple store.

Thanks.

I have a 12" 867 PB G4. Not quite the model you're asking after, but it's a great machine. Sure, I'd love it to be a little faster, but, then again, I'd also love it if it were a G5...
;)

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
I don't know if I agree with the "powerbook updates on Tuesday" rumor... With it being this close to MWSF, I would think that Apple would want to let it wait until then. That way they get mor bang for their presentation buck in January. On the other hand, they may want to cathc some of the Christmas shopping revenue stream... updated iBooks maybe?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Using a 1GHz 12" here. I love it, especially now with Panther! It's nice now with only 256MB RAM so I can't wait to see what it's like when I have 768 in it!

From a selfish point of view it would be nice if there weren't updates next Tuesday ;) :p but then I've been in love with this machine for the whole 8 weeks that I have had it! Maybe they will update the graphics to 64MB as I said last week if anything happens but, having said that, I've had no issues with this and I'm depriving it of RAM! Great machine!

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
I only wish Apple had better video card options for their portable lineup. I think that issue is one of the larger stumbling blocks to better portable sales figures.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Yeah, I think the 12" PB is a brilliant machine but I can't help think that they ought to be putting 64MB graphics and 512MB RAM in the thing by default - especially for the amount it costs. Ok, so I've yet to see a nicer laptop but...

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
I think this could be true what if temporarally that had 6 models or how ever many so that would be all the existing modles and then some speed bumped one and add a 100-200 price drop on all then you would have a one modle at a price range for every costomer im sure many people would like a 1799 or 1899 15" then you would have so many choices wow! that would be cool. I think this also may encourage many to buy who want to wait for a g5 but cant

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Buy or Wait

I was all set to put an order for a BTO Al15"PB tonight but im wondering, 1. are the screen and latch issues truly fixed and 2. If by some reason they do update the powerbooks on Tuesday will i get an updaded machine or the one im about to order? and if they do update and the prices are different will i either pay the difference or for some reason if Apple drops the prices which im not expecting do they refund the difference?

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my PB G3 (300 MHz) asap, but I want to wait to see what happens next month in SFO. If Apple bumps it to 1.25 G and drops the price about $200 or so, I think I could be pretty interested.

But I have no real first-hand experience with the machine -- other than the ones I've toyed with in Apple store.

Thanks.

I do. I love it. Best PowerBook I have ever owned. I use it as my second computer (to my G5) but I use it almost as much. I do have 2 minor complaints, my screen seems to be NOT as bright as my previous PowerBook or G3 iBook and defintely not as bright as my boyfriend's G4 iBook. Also AirPort range still kinda sucks but it's way better than it was on my TiBook.

macboyX

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
BREAKING NEWS!!!

In an unprecedented strategy Apple will be updating its popular powerbook line every tuesday starting this week (Dec-8) until the end of the year. This strategy is expected to spur more sales of Apple's portable porfessional line throughout the Christmas shopping season. Apple officials reported that the updates will include video card upgrades, mild processor speed increases, and other "special" surprises.

This of course is a joke :) But it would be neat if this were possible.

chancellor

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2003
Edmonton
In the past, it seems that a couple weeks before announcing a new model, Apple products stop shipping. And after the announcement Apple offers people with outstanding orders the option of getting the newer model.

My 1.25 PB was shipped today (Saturday). As such, I doubt this rumor is true.

Though, if it is true and I don't get a price cut, I'll be pretty annoyed.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I was talking with Apple Rep at CompUSA and he said there is price cut coming up soon. He wasn't sure if it was for Christmas or because of new upgrade models.

Either way Apple holds to a pattern of doing things and I doubt a new upgrade is coming to the PB's model line next week. I do however expect maybe pricecuts to boost sales in Dec. and to clear older machines out as I believe they will be shown at MW or CES.

Apple went 1.42 about 3 months or so before introducing the G5 PM. I believe this to hold true with the PB's line as well. I would say after the bump in 3-4 months the G5 PB will debut.

This is my opinion based on Apples current patterns of introducing new products and software to the world.

I still think it's funny that people doubted my predictions and now it looks like atleast half of them will come true if not more. And right now I expect atleast 2 more to come true by the time of MW or CES shows.

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by Sunrunner
I don't know if I agree with the "powerbook updates on Tuesday" rumor... With it being this close to MWSF, I would think that Apple would want to let it wait until then. That way they get mor bang for their presentation buck in January.

Let's have a reality check.

An increase from 1.25 to 1.33 is a total increase of 83Mhz.

I can see Steve Jobs striding confidently across the podium...

'And one more thing ... powerbooks .... are 83Mhz faster...you heard it hear first, we are making them 1.6 per cent faster!!!'

Woman swoon, men faint.

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
No G4 PB update...

... actually, the new G5 Powerbooks are to be releaased on Tuesday.

Really.

My buddy in Taiwan told me.:)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I dont think it is so far fetched to bump the Powerbooks now except they missed half of the holiday shopping season already. That being said if they have extra chips sitting around why not put them in now. But i wonder what the battery life would be on the 17" with a 1.43ghz chip. If you look at it tho the imac and powerbooks are simular in chip speed and this bump would be enough to seperate the two by just enough. As for G5 Powerbooks by MWSF I highly doubt it. Lets say this revision will last 6 months that would put us to May 2004 to announce new Powerbook G5's

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by weev
I am still waiting on the 15" 1.25 PB which I ordered BTO a week after they were launched.

If they do update, this might the first case of a product ordered at launch that fails to get delivered before it's superseeded.

Am I pissed at Apple? - yes. Would an update satisfy this pissed-offness? Absolutely.

I will probably get a call from the reseller on Monday, saying its in, now that would really piss me off if the following day it were updated.

:mad:

I got mine no more than 10 days after ordering.

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Originally posted by fussball
I am just waiting for a 64mb video card in the 12" PB... once that happens I will buy a nice new book with my student developer's discount :)

anyone know if there are chances of a 64mb card in the 12's by february?

Thank you! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one waiting for video card upgrades in the powerbooks. People buying powerbooks (not ibooks) should expect nothing less than an nvidia 5600FX, nvidia 5700FX, or radeon 9600 with 64mb or more memory. Better yet, why not just offer Apple customers more BTO options for video cards? If I can get a radeon 9600 (128mb) rather than a geforce 5200FX (with a measly 32mb memory) for $200 extra, I'll do that. People that don't care about video cards can go with the default.

Just in case you don't know, a lot of the new "desktop replacement" pc laptops offer these kind of BTO options. Take a look at the HP zd7000 series or the Sony PCG-GRT series. Yeah, they are bigger than most powerbooks, but they pack as much power as a high-end desktop. If I don't see this kind of power in powerbooks soon, I'm going to have to stick with a pc as my laptop.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
My understanding is that the Powermac G4 1.42 was merely and overclocked G4 1.25 (74/5XX?) sooo if we do see a 1.42 PB it stands to reason it'll only be an overclocked G4 chip, albeit incredibly slight at best.

guillermo

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2003
Spain
There are two product lines of Macs:
- Professional: PowerMac, PowerBook, Xserver
- Consumer: iMac, iBook

- PowerMac has been upgraded with G5 processor, 64 bits, fast... a competitive product.
- Xserver needs an upgrade with G5 processor, surely with the new PowerPC 90nm.
- iBook has 1 Ghz G4 processor, too close to PowerBook.
- iMac recently updated.
- Intel Centrino notebooks are fast, with long battery life, 400 Mhz bus, integrated capabilities... a success of Intel.
- No more Motorola G4 upgrades, IBM has the word.

Conclusion?

Apple must become PowerBook a competitive product again, they can't presume in technical terms now. Yes, Xserve needs an upgraded also and Apple will do it, but it is not so important comercially as PowerBook.

When?

As soon as they can do it, sure. It is high priority.

Next?

PowerBook G5 1.6 Ghz with PowerTune... wow, G5 in a notebook, this is an impressive release ...Apple likes this kind of surprises because it gives money. In this business if you don't run you die. 800 Mhz->1 Ghz->1.25 Ghz...->1.6 Ghz, all this upgrades are 25% faster than predecessor. But the important thing is the word: G5, people remember this.

IBM is being to produce PowerPC 970 on 90 nm, less consumption, less hot, less size. And remember that PowerTune is like Centrino technology: slow frequency of processor when it's possible, so it optimize the consumption and the processor dissipates less heat. With 90 nm and PowerTune a PowerBook G5 is possible.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Inevitable

Originally posted by guillermo
Apple must become PowerBook a competitive product again, they can't presume in technical terms now. Yes, Xserve needs an upgraded also and Apple will do it, but it is not so important comercially as PowerBook.

When?

As soon as they can do it, sure. It is high priority.

Next?

I think that initially, the G5 laptop will be introduced as a seperate line to the PowerBook. If you want to run high-end applications on the fastest hardware such a line would suit you and so would a 20" screen.

jadren0

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
Repeating what a previous poster asked: if this update does happen, will those of use who just received (ie within 10 days) our PBs be able to swap them for the new ones?
Thanks.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Normally they wouldn't ship it to you just before the update - it would be delayed so you could get an updated machine. But if they did I guess you could return it under the returning policy and then buy the updated version. To save the hassle, Apple would probably just update yours for free. Not too sure about BTOs though.

On the other hand, I noticed that the iMac page (Apple UK at least) still notes in small print at the bottom that not all iMacs come with Panther. Ok, so they're covering their backs but I'd be pretty pissed if I ordered a new Mac now and it didn't come with it and I'd have to order it for £14 shipping! (Doesn't mention it would necessarily be included in the box either).

Icekey

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
I posted a similiar content to the first rumors, but here in Australia, one of the Apple Centre people explained to me that Apple changed the manufactorer for the 15" powerbooks cause of the white spots and other issues. So, if this holds true, then there is more likely chance that a new machine would come out, as it's easier I guess to start from scratch with a new manufactorer. My guess is, the new ones are already getting ready to be shipped, just waiting for announcements, and all the ones people are receiving at this moment are the remaining bits of the powerbook line.

I'll tell you guys something quite interesting. After having white spots on my screen, my powerbook was declared DOA. I refused a replacement at that point because I hated waiting for a replacement then most likely I was going to get white spots again. So after a month with living with the white spots, I said, stuff it, and asked for a refund. The technician was like, yeah that's fine. Just bring back everything in the box, we'll ship it back to Apple Australia, and they'll credit us, in which we'll be able to give you a refund. I said cool. Went in on Friday to collect my cheque, and the guy goes, now Apple Australia is coming back at us asking why I'm not wanting to receive a replacement blah blah blah. My predictions are that they want to get rid as many of the older models as possible before the announcement, thus trying to push it. Fortunately, I said I will only take a refund, so we'll see how it goes.

I love Apple. They make your life more exciting day by day as you start hearing rumors of a product release or an update :) What would we be all doing without rumors?

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002

Hi,

Thanks.

I recently bought a 12" PB running 1 GHz with 768 mb RAM. Incredible and wonderful machine. Not so much that you would care, but if you do, here's the saga that lead to my purchase:

I had a 12" 700 mhz iBook. Great computer. The 12" form factor was phenomenal. Took it with me everywhere.

Decided to start using FCP 4. Figured I wouldn't be using it THAT much on my PB because I'm a lawyer and we're not supposed to have that much fun, and I couldn't run it on my then G3 iBook. Agonized over the 15" vs. the 12". Decided to stick with the 12" form factor. Use it for FCP all the time and the screen is just fine. Sure, if I am doing heavy duty compositing it gets a little crowded, but I can manage. Wouldn't trade the 12" for anything.

Also, FWIW, I'm glad that I didn't wait for the G4 iBook, because that would have further increased my agony of making that decision. For FCP use, the PB is the only choice.

Does that answer your question?

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
I too have a 12" 1Ghz w/ 768mb of ram. As a switcher, coming from a 1Ghz Athlon adn a 2.8GHz P4, I love it. Would I have liked a 64mb ATI video card? Sure, but the 32mb Geforce suits me fine. Most laptops in this size range don't even have a video card - they use integrated graphics off of the MB.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
return policy??????

so, can you or can you not return a PowerBook (it has now been used), for a new one (particularily if the PowerBook drops in price???)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.