Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
Gurugrrrl said:
Yeah....I keep running to the computer and hitting refresh while getting ready for work.

Get yourself the mozilla browser! It has an auto-refresh addon! I let mine refresh automatically every 30sec... (kinda sad and sick, I know ;) )

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Tomaz said:
Ok, now I'm nervous!

Me too..

Hopefully... Updated PowerBooks. Apple better as hell not come up with some useless update, like an eMac one or something.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Huezo said:
Me too..

Hopefully... Updated PowerBooks. Apple better as hell not come up with some useless update, like an eMac one or something.

Useless to you maybe, but not to all of us out here. I'm glad to see the eMac updates coming today. I hope there are PowerBooks coming as well though too. :)

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
Can't believe this !!!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The only thing they should do to eMACs is to discontinue them! (Sorry to all eMAC users/fans, I was just really hoping for PB updates...)

Unregistered.

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2002
Apple has to save something to debut at the NAB. People pay big money to get in there to "see a show"; if Apple disappointed them, they wouldn't be Apple. In other words, even if they have PowerBooks ready to go NOW, I'm guessing they'll hold them and make a bigger splash with them.

But what do I know? I've been waiting for the G5 PowerBook since 1998.

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
Unregistered. said:
Apple has to save something to debut at the NAB. People pay big money to get in there to "see a show"; if Apple disappointed them, they wouldn't be Apple. In other words, even if they have PowerBooks ready to go NOW, I'm guessing they'll hold them and make a bigger splash with them.

I just don't think NAB is the right place to introduce now powerbooks :(

But on the other hand, I don't care where they introduce it, even if it's at the great opening of the first Taco Bell in Nairobi, just introduce it soon, please !

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
PB EOL ?

So since eMACs were EOL'd a month ago, and updated today, does this mean we have to wait for PBs to be EOL'd, before there is a chance of updates?
If it takes as long as with the eMACs, that would mean no updates till mid-May, even if they change their staus to End-Of-Live today! And I guess there will be no updates just 1.5 months before WWDC - soooooooo, no updates till end of June...
:eek:

Sad, sad, Steve will be ripped to pieces if he announces no G5 PB updates then.

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Dont be too sad, my powerbook, bought a week ago, is F'in awesome! OS X simply blows away anything else. Maybe its cause i am coming from a system 9 comp, but I love it, and the computer even more!!

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
1.25 Ghz processors in the emac's?????

Congratulations, powerbook owners, your computers are now as advanced as the cheapest line apple makes, and only twice to three times as expensive!!!!!!

This is literally a spit in the face of powerbook owners, and is an insult to anyone considering buying a powerbook.

Steve, you complete a**hole . . . You and everyone at apple deserve to go belly up for this.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
a17inchFuture said:

Congratulations, powerbook owners, your computers are now as advanced as the cheapest line apple makes, and only twice to three times as expensive!!!!!!

This is literally a spit in the face of powerbook owners, and is an insult to anyone considering buying a powerbook.

Steve, you complete a**hole . . . You and everyone at apple deserve to go belly up for this.

It's spitting in the faces of the pro line. How can you give the eMac a 8x superdrive before the PowerMacs. Hell, how can you give it to the eMac BEFORE even the iMac?!?! I don't get it. I makes my brain hurt this early in the morning! I have yet to comprehend how this is possible! Anyone have answers?

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
a17inchFuture said:

I didn't have the balls to write it, but I feel exactly the same !!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

cantwait

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
thinkpad or powerbook?

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a IBM Thinkpad T41p (for 2 grand) or a 15 inch powerbook? Any Thoughts?

Unregistered.

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2002
Great. Now a drooling kid in Grade 3 on an eMac has the same power BT, Nine Inch Nails, Francis Ford Coppola, etc. has to settle for in their laptops (even though they're willing to pay top dollar). The Pro line of laptops is pretty freakin' sad. It's no wonder both BT and NIN have bought PCs recently. I've got PC music magazines with both bands, and they're using PCs... You never hear about the defections from the Mac side, but they happen (although both bands just use both sides now, not just Macs anymore -- Macs can't do everything they want them to do anymore).

Of course, like I said before, my basic plan is to 'plan to be disappointed' by Apple announcements. That way if something great happens, I'll be pleasantly surprised.... Usually, nothing great happens. With the exception of the cool design of the iMac, I haven't been pleasantly surprised in a while. I'm usually UNDERWHELMED. Yay! Bigger harddrives in the iPod! Yay! More very overpriced very slow RAM as a mandatory minimum in the PowerBooks! Yay! G5 speed tests that later proved to be false! Yay! More beta software! Yay! My iPod mini is broken already! Yay! My iBook is on fire! Yay! I can hear my G5's fan from Tokyo! Yay! My cat choked on TiBook paint chips! Oh mighty Apple I worship you for forcing us to use obsolete hardware to run OS X!

Sorry, I'm slightly bitter, if you didn't notice.

My only hope (giving Apple WAY too much credit and 'benefit of the doubt') is that they're going to REALLY bump their pro line very soon and we'll all be BLOWN AWAY. Pretty soon, the iPod will have a bigger harddrive than the PowerBooks -- and a better processor. But like I said before, if people keep buying the current PB lineup, Apple will keep pumping out more of them, because they can make more money off selling ancient gear than 'innovating' up some new quality gear. I got flamed for saying this before, but it's true. If nobody demands better, they won't get better. And as long as we all worship Apple, they'll continue to treat us the same way the Ancient Gods treated their worshippers. Like sh*t. They'll release new stuff when the marketshare numbers FORCE them to release new stuff.

This forum makes me think I'm suicidal. Jeez, I gotta go to take my Prozac now and sing a happy song and dream of living in Smurf Village where Apple doesn't exist.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Tomaz said:
I just don't think NAB is the right place to introduce now powerbooks :(
Not necessarily true. Apple needs press, and there are only 2 large events in the near future: NAB and WWDC. WWDC is too far away for powerbooks...if they wait that long, they will lose a lot of people either to PC or other models. Powerbooks are the laptop of choice for video editing professionals. They won't get much attention if they announce them like the emacs...I guarantee that there are people at the Apple store today buying the old emac model for full price. It's not that far fetched.

Unregistered.

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2002
cantwait said:
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a IBM Thinkpad T41p (for 2 grand) or a 15 inch powerbook? Any Thoughts?
You can't go wrong with either. The ThinkPad is definitely more powerful and more sturdy. We've used them at work and they're great. I've lovingly used the A model (the big one) and it was THE most powerful laptop I've ever seen (more like a desktop in size though). My buddy has the X, I think, a little small one, which is really great but needs higher resolution.

They also run Linux really well if you want to try a real OS on it.

If you don't mind using the hodge-podge of jumbly crap that is WinXP, I'd go for that... or sit and wait like the rest of us to see if Apple brings their laptop lineup up to par with the PC world's 1998 lineup. If you're going to buy a PowerBook, wait for revisions.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
a17inchFuture said:

If you don't like what they offer, go to PCs.

Jeez, get a grip. PBs are only just at the end of their typical product cycle. They aren't late. Just because the eMac was updated doesn't mean that anything else has changed.

Usually, I'd expect this kind of information to be greeted with cheers. Apple has a decently equipped machine for less than $800! That's great!

Do you think that Apple isn't trying to get new PBs out ASAP? Do you think that their choice not to release yet is to personally piss you off? If not, then don't take it so personally, and don't make it so personal.

I choose to look at it this way, the longer there is before an update comes the more likely the update will be a G5 PB, rather than simply a speed bumped G4. So, I'm quite willing to wait for WWDC on the hope that that will mean G5 (sooner) rather than G4 now and G5 much later...

El Duderino

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
as of right now i simply cant accept an f***ing speed pumb for a PROFESIONAL line of computers....it ridiculus that the same processor found in a bottom of the line eMAC would be found in a high-end portable for more than double the price. i can not in my right mind fork over $2500 for an 8 month old laptop with the same speed as something i can get for 800 :eek:

GIVE ME A QUALITY G5 PB STEVE OR I AM GOING TO STICK WITH MY GUNS AND GET A PC...not that hes listening or thing

here i am right on the edge of jumping into the mac world and this happens, there better be a bad ass follow up

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
Snowy_River said:
If you don't like what they offer, go to PCs.....

Come one, the way he said it might have been a bit harsh, but I bet that's what most of us thought!

Having the almost same specs in an eMAC and a PB is ridiculous!!! The eMAC is even better than the iMAC now, and has a quicker Superdrive than the Powermacs. ALl all that for 1-2000$ less. Good for eMAC buyers, but everyone else must feel like an idiot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.