Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fener

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2003
They are coming

The wait for build-to-order PowerBooks and iBooks at The Apple Store increased yesterday from 'Same Day' delivery to 5-7 days.

Bilvox

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Boston
slow delivery.. perhaps all inventory low?

I ordered last week from the apple store the m-audio mobile usb pre-amp... and they have a big delay so now instead of the 3-5 days origonally stated it says perhaps it will ship by the 21st.
so... a little more wait and see pudding.
but it will all be worth it im sure.
;-)

cheers,
-Bilvox

http://www.bilvox.com/blog/index.html

skinEman23

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2004
I would have to agree with everyone that this is becoming ridiculous. The fact that Apple's low-end computers outdo their high-end laptops is not quite as disturbing as the fact that the powerbooks have been collecting dust for seven months with no price break. I can tell you without a doubt that no matter what everyone has against dell and other PC manufacturers, you will never see their PC lines go for seven months with no upgrades or price drops. Never.

imaginereno

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2001
Reno, NV
skinEman23 said:
I would have to agree with everyone that this is becoming ridiculous. The fact that Apple's low-end computers outdo their high-end laptops is not quite as disturbing as the fact that the powerbooks have been collecting dust for seven months with no price break. I can tell you without a doubt that no matter what everyone has against dell and other PC manufacturers, you will never see their PC lines go for seven months with no upgrades or price drops. Never.

Yes, but Apple doesn't have the direct competition that Dell has in the PC/Intel world.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
a17inchFuture said:
1.25 Ghz processors in the emac's?????

Congratulations, powerbook owners, your computers are now as advanced as the cheapest line apple makes, and only twice to three times as expensive!!!!!!

This is literally a spit in the face of powerbook owners, and is an insult to anyone considering buying a powerbook.

Steve, you complete a**hole . . . You and everyone at apple deserve to go belly up for this.

This attitude is exactly what has Apple in trouble. You don't hold back other lines because your higher end models are not ready for update. Kudos to Apple for giving their entry level model some oomph and getting it out so that schools can buy them with their upcoming budget money.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
DreaminDirector said:
It's spitting in the faces of the pro line. How can you give the eMac a 8x superdrive before the PowerMacs. Hell, how can you give it to the eMac BEFORE even the iMac?!?! I don't get it. I makes my brain hurt this early in the morning! I have yet to comprehend how this is possible! Anyone have answers?

Yes, Jobs took his head out of his ass and made a smart marketing move.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
rdowns said:
Yes, Jobs took his head out of his ass and made a smart marketing move.

I think we are being a bit hard on Apple. I think until WWDC we won't be able to really know what their success is this year. Could be they need this time to bring out new revs that will seriously impress. If not, then I too will be ranting at their failures...

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Tomaz said:
Come one, the way he said it might have been a bit harsh, but I bet that's what most of us thought!

Having the almost same specs in an eMAC and a PB is ridiculous!!! The eMAC is even better than the iMAC now, and has a quicker Superdrive than the Powermacs. ALl all that for 1-2000$ less. Good for eMAC buyers, but everyone else must feel like an idiot!

Which only goes to show that the PB and iMac lines are prime for an update. Apple has had their 'consumer' lines sporting more powerful configurations than the PBs before, but it usually doesn't last long. Perhaps I could understand this attitude if Apple were to release a new PB without speed bumps and only a few hardware improvements.

rolleyes.jpg

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
skinEman23 said:

There are simple economics involved in this. Apple can't just cut prices when, in a month or so, they'd have to boost the prices back up. The consequences are far worse for Apple to do this than to keep the prices constant across the product cycle.

skinEman23

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2004
Snowy_River said:
There are simple economics involved in this. Apple can't just cut prices when, in a month or so, they'd have to boost the prices back up. The consequences are far worse for Apple to do this than to keep the prices constant across the product cycle.

Perhaps a short price cut before revisions would be a bad idea now. It may have been a better idea three months ago. Regardless, Apple's marketing campaign, or lack thereof, is not exactly enticing at the current time. While other Macs have double memory promotions, Powerbooks are left empty-handed. If apple was afraid of price cuts they could at least give us a promo or bundle. Maybe a silver ipod mini with a 12" powerbook if they can ever make enough minis? A rebate perhaps? Just some examples of things apple could do to sell more powerbooks. Maybe they are selling enough right now, but those of us with higher IQs than cement know better than to buy a seven month old laptop at its initial price.

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
sad sad sad..

As overpriced the PB is at the moment, it's still 6th on the top sellers list, and the highest ranked computer overall. If people still buy it like this, there's no need for an immediate update, or a price drop...

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
Tomaz said:
As overpriced the PB is at the moment, it's still 6th on the top sellers list, and the highest ranked computer overall. If people still buy it like this, there's no need for an immediate update, or a price drop...

yeah, and I hope Apple doesn't think like this. The update has to be just around the corner. If the eMac has an 8x superdrive and the apple stores are no longer carrying the 2x media, new superdrives in new machines are coming. And the dilemma will always be, when?

sigh.... I need to hold out.

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
DreaminDirector said:
yeah, and I hope Apple doesn't think like this. The update has to be just around the corner. If the eMac has an 8x superdrive and the apple stores are no longer carrying the 2x media, new superdrives in new machines are coming. And the dilemma will always be, when?

sigh.... I need to hold out.

but with the proper firmware update you can use 4x media in a 2x drive...so that doesn't really matter

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
YES!!!!!!!!

marmotte said:
at least this is what "Croquer dans la pomme" claims. They will be announced at NAB.

See http://croquer.free.fr/

MM
:cool:

and the same website is reporting new PMG5 to be announced at the WWDC.
they report that indeed the PMG5 was delayed for release since January, due to 3 reasons :
- temperature probe problem, fixed at the end of January
- ATI graphic card delivery delayed by 3 weeks
- problem in PPC970fx process, well it seems that IBM was using a type of "glue" during assembling process (part of the new SSDOI process), but the quality of this glue seemed to be not so good, and the processor was quickly destroyed...this has been fixed by IBM, and but Apple will have to change all the processor already installed on the daugther cards of the coming PBG5...:-(
this could also explain the delay of the Xserve shipping date...Apple using the first batch of PPC970fx produced by IBM after changing the process directly into the Xserve, and first for the single processor Xserve G5...

fener

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2003
They are almost here:

ALL of the Apple portable computers shipping times are INCREASED TO 1-3 Business Days today, with some of them having 3-7 Business Days shipping times.

Well,

1-3 Business Day ship time corresponds to Monday shipment as of today.

There is a major Apple event on April 18, Sunday, the day before the shipment.

The corresponding 3rd day is the first business day after the Event.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
fener said:
ALL of the Apple portable computers shipping times are INCREASED TO 1-3 Business Days today, with some of them having 3-7 Business Days shipping times.

Well,

1-3 Business Day ship time corresponds to Monday shipment as of today.

There is a major Apple event on April 18, Sunday, the day before the shipment.

The corresponding 3rd day is the first business day after the Event.

Got to be. My laptop was just ordered...

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
skinEman23 said:
Perhaps a short price cut before revisions would be a bad idea now. It may have been a better idea three months ago. Regardless, Apple's marketing campaign, or lack thereof, is not exactly enticing at the current time. While other Macs have double memory promotions, Powerbooks are left empty-handed. If apple was afraid of price cuts they could at least give us a promo or bundle. Maybe a silver ipod mini with a 12" powerbook if they can ever make enough minis? A rebate perhaps? Just some examples of things apple could do to sell more powerbooks. Maybe they are selling enough right now, but those of us with higher IQs than cement know better than to buy a seven month old laptop at its initial price.

Price drops, in general, are a bad marketing move in Apple's position. Apple has typically gotten past this buy including PBs in promotions, as you've observed. However at the moment (to quote another post)

Tomaz said:

However, I don't agree with the update assessment. Apple always wants to update their hardware as soon as they can. Think about the milage that they got out of the G3 being so much faster than the PCs at the time. They'd like to get back there. However, given that the PBs are still selling well, this means that they can choose their venue as to when to sell. If they feel that it will make a bigger splash as something like the NAB than at a special press event, it makes sense for them to hold out for the NAB.

billwest9999

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2004
Snowy_River said:
Price drops, in general, are a bad marketing move in Apple's position. Apple has typically gotten past this buy including PBs in promotions, as you've observed. However at the moment (to quote another post)

However, given that the PBs are still selling well, this means that they can choose their venue as to when to sell. If they feel that it will make a bigger splash as something like the NAB than at a special press event, it makes sense for them to hold out for the NAB.

Correct, the PBs are still selling well. Spread the word to everyone and tell them to NOT buy the PBs. This will force Jobs to release the damn thing. Either that or he can lose his job.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
billwest9999 said:
Correct, the PBs are still selling well. Spread the word to everyone and tell them to NOT buy the PBs. This will force Jobs to release the damn thing. Either that or he can lose his job.

Oh, give me a break!

If the PBs were to start not selling as well, Apple would start offering more promotions to help them out. They'll still release the new PBs as soon as they can (plus or minus a week or two, for best PR). In any event, even if PBs weren't released for another month, they'd still essentially be on schedule. Just because you want a product cycle to go faster doesn't mean that it will.

And, finally, even if the new PBs weren't released until July or August, that wouldn't mean that Jobs would be fired.

Sheesh.
rolleyes.jpg

Didn't someone mention at some point that it seems that most of the over-reacting complaints come from newbies?

skinEman23

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2004
billwest9999 said:

I am going to hope you were being sarcastic.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Snowy_River said:
Oh, give me a break!

If the PBs were to start not selling as well, Apple would start offering more promotions to help them out. They'll still release the new PBs as soon as they can (plus or minus a week or two, for best PR). In any event, even if PBs weren't released for another month, they'd still essentially be on schedule. Just because you want a product cycle to go faster doesn't mean that it will.

And, finally, even if the new PBs weren't released until July or August, that wouldn't mean that Jobs would be fired.

Sheesh.
rolleyes.jpg

Didn't someone mention at some point that it seems that most of the over-reacting complaints come from newbies?

i never noticed that, but its true! i was like that too when i was a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.