Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Just received my Nexus & tablet and it is awesome. The purpose of my thread is not to talk about Android vs IOS, but to talk about the form factor of a 7" to 8" tablet. After using it for awhile I can definitely see the usefulness of such a device. It is easily put into a woman's purse and easily transported outside the home. Using it while laying on the couch is very nice. Easily held comfortably for an extended period of time in 1 hand. Yes I can hold my Ipad2 in 1 hand, but it is not as comfortable to use that way for an extended period of time.
We have a house full of Apple devices, and even though I no longer use an iPhone, I will be anxiously awaiting for Apple to come out with a smaller version of the iPad.
Anyone else have a Nexus 7 tablet, or any other smaller tablet, and who is awaiting for a smaller iPad product?

Again....no comments about IOS VS Android please.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm totally jazzed about smaller tablets.

I do not think one size fits all. I'm looking forward to augmenting my iPad 2 with a smaller tablet this fall.

It'll be that ideal device that disappears more in the living room and is extremely portable for a tablet.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I was gonna jump on ordering 2 nexus 7 then again google tried to charge me for tax which I didnt like.

So now I'm waiting for a smaller ipad, and a nexus 7 to be available locally, then I will be happy to pay tax and bo shipping lol.

I know kinda stupid principal that I have. When ordering online I'm fine with paying shipping, but no tax unless the company actually have a store in my state which google doesnt.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Just received my Nexus & tablet and it is awesome. The purpose of my thread is not to talk about Android vs IOS, but to talk about the form factor of a 7" to 8" tablet. After using it for awhile I can definitely see the usefulness of such a device. It is easily put into a woman's purse and easily transported outside the home. Using it while laying on the couch is very nice. Easily held comfortably for an extended period of time in 1 hand. Yes I can hold my Ipad2 in 1 hand, but it is not as comfortable to use that way for an extended period of time.
We have a house full of Apple devices, and even though I no longer use an iPhone, I will be anxiously awaiting for Apple to come out with a smaller version of the iPad.
Anyone else have a Nexus 7 tablet, or any other smaller tablet, and who is awaiting for a smaller iPad product?

Again....no comments about IOS VS Android please.
I got my Nexus 7 at Sam's club over the weekend. The device is awesome. The device is really well built also. Our family is primarily Apple only (1 Airport Extreme, 2 airport Express, 2 Apple TV, MacBook Air, and 2 iPhones), but I've been tired of waiting around to see if they were going to do anything smaller than the current iPad.

Apple is very picky with what they want their products to be. But a lot of time there are compromises for the consumer. AppleTV is a good example....we cut cable and use an antenna. AppleTV doesn't have a Hulu Plus app so had to buy a separate Roku box just for that and Amazon Prime.

Don't like the iPhone screen? too bad only 1 model size made. Suck it up and like it. Same goes with the iPad. I simply have gotten tired of waiting around to see what they are going to do. I'll enjoy the Nexus 7 and hopefully it will get apple moving to create an iPad 7.

They need to start making multiple sizes instead of 1 size phone and 1 size tablet. That's like them only having 1 size laptop...just crazy.

Anyways, the Nexus 7 quality is on par with Apple products IMO. I would buy 2 iPad 7's if they were out, but they aren't so i have to resort to another company for the time being.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
I was gonna jump on ordering 2 nexus 7 then again google tried to charge me for tax which I didnt like.

So now I'm waiting for a smaller ipad, and a nexus 7 to be available locally, then I will be happy to pay tax and bo shipping lol.

I know kinda stupid principal that I have. When ordering online I'm fine with paying shipping, but no tax unless the company actually have a store in my state which google doesnt.

I wondered about the tax issue when I ordered it, because i don.t believe I pay tax when I buy an app from the Google play store, btu I may be wrong.

The size of the 7 inch device is totally awesome. I love my iPad 2, but I see a definite market for the 7-8 inch tablets.

----------

I got my Nexus 7 at Sam's club over the weekend. The device is awesome. The device is really well built also. Our family is primarily Apple only (1 Airport Extreme, 2 airport Express, 2 Apple TV, MacBook Air, and 2 iPhones), but I've been tired of waiting around to see if they were going to do anything smaller than the current iPad.

Apple is very picky with what they want their products to be. But a lot of time there are compromises for the consumer. AppleTV is a good example....we cut cable and use an antenna. AppleTV doesn't have a Hulu Plus app so had to buy a separate Roku box just for that and Amazon Prime.

Don't like the iPhone screen? too bad only 1 model size made. Suck it up and like it. Same goes with the iPad. I simply have gotten tired of waiting around to see what they are going to do. I'll enjoy the Nexus 7 and hopefully it will get apple moving to create an iPad 7.

They need to start making multiple sizes instead of 1 size phone and 1 size tablet. That's like them only having 1 size laptop...just crazy.

Anyways, the Nexus 7 quality is on par with Apple products IMO.

My thoughts at this point. I just got the device, so I can't attest to how it holds up over time, but for now it seems very sweet.

If iPad is available in a smaller size, I wonder if they will go 7", or whether they will have their own size just to be different. My tablet held sideways is definitely widescreen when watching videos and I believe Apple doesn't prefer that format.
Time will tell.

The one thing I like about the Nexus is the back, which I assume is plastic but has a rubbery feel. It will not slip out of your hands like my iPad would if I used it without a case. Not the biggest fan of plastic but this actually feels like rubber and has a premium feel to it.
I know Apple prefers aluminum, and it certainly does link nice, but I hope they eventually make the iPad rear covers out of something more grip-able.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
If iPad is available in a smaller size, I wonder if they will go 7", or whether they will have their own size just to be different. My tablet held sideways is definitely widescreen when watching videos and I believe Apple doesn't prefer that format.
Time will tell.

The one thing I like about the Nexus is the back, which I assume is plastic but has a rubbery feel. It will not slip out of your hands like my iPad would if I used it without a case. Not the biggest fan of plastic but this actually feels like rubber and has a premium feel to it.
I know Apple prefers aluminum, and it certainly does link nice, but I hope they eventually make the iPad rear covers out of something more grip-able.

7.85 with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Not to be different the resolution of the OS demands it.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010

Maybe they'll make a 7" device and call it the Apple eReader. Then you can complain that they only make one size phone, one size tablet, and one size eReader. Then when they release the Apple Slab at 15" you can complain that they only have one size eSlab.

Or you can just recognize that Apple already makes multiple iOS touchscreen devices and then say "gee I wish they made yet another".

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Maybe they'll make a 7" device and call it the Apple eReader. Then you can complain that they only make one size phone, one size tablet, and one size eReader. Then when they release the Apple Slab at 15" you can complain that they only have one size eSlab.

Or you can just recognize that Apple already makes multiple iOS touchscreen devices and then say "gee I wish they made yet another".
Based on your theory there should only be 1 model laptop, only comes with a 15inch screen because that is the best size for everyone!

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007

Or iReader perhaps? Actually, I think the time would be alright for them to reuse the iBook brand. Enough time's passed I think. They did it with the iSight, why not?

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Based on your theory there should only be 1 model laptop, only comes with a 15inch screen because that is the best size for everyone!

Did you actually get that from what I wrote? holy loly it's the exact opposite of what I typed, you are unbelievable.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Did you actually get that from what I wrote? holy loly it's the exact opposite of what I typed, you are unbelievable.
why do you need to tell me and everyone else about the 7inch ipad what their opinions should be?

Looking at your history it looks like you are pretty angry that peeps are even discussing the possibility of a 7inch tablet.

why is that?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I don't like the 7" form factor. It's the oddball. Sure it's cheap which is one of the biggest factors. The lure of the Nexus 7 is not the 7" display. It's the price. If the iPad costs $200, no one would even think about a 7".

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
why do you need to tell me and everyone else about the 7inch ipad what their opinions should be?

Want to quote where I did this?

Looking at your history it looks like you are pretty angry that peeps are even discussing the possibility of a 7inch tablet.

why is that?

Angry?

The last I remember posting on this is that people should present their opinions as such, instead of as facts - like "I would like a 7" iPad" not "Apple has an obligation to make the things I want, this is a fact, by the way my evidence is terrible".

I know people would like a 7" iPad, that's their right, and I've never posted that they should not have that wish, IIRC. Show me where I did something else, considering you're so upset you already went through my post history (lol).

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Does having a smaller screen make reading PDF or big books a hassle? Do you have to constantly scroll left to right? How would you compare the comfort level for reading between a 10" and a 7"?
Also, is there a hack to run flash on it yet?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Want to quote where I did this?

Angry?

The last I remember posting on this is that people should present their opinions as such, instead of as facts - like "I would like a 7" iPad" not "Apple has an obligation to make the things I want, this is a fact, by the way my evidence is terrible".

I know people would like a 7" iPad, that's their right, and I've never posted that they should not have that wish, IIRC. Show me where I did something else, considering you're so upset you already went through my post history (lol).
why does something need to be presented to you in a certain way? It took all of 2 clicks to see that majority of your recent posts are about the 7inch tablet.

We get it, you hate the idea of a 7inch tablet. You also hate that people say they want a 7inch tablet.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Does having a smaller screen make reading PDF or big books a hassle? Do you have to constantly scroll left to right? How would you compare the comfort level for reading between a 10" and a 7"?

Reading books on a seven inch screen is very nice considering it's still bigger then average book pages.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

Does the .apk not run? I haven't read up on this subject. Is the Adobe Flash .apk file hardcoded to NOT run on anything above 4.0.x?

On a side note, Google's focus with the Nexus 7 is to steal some of the limelight from the iPad with its cheaper price while simultaneously trying to put out the Kindle Fire (pun intended). Before the Nexus 7, there were more or less two successful tablet stories; namely the iPad and the Kindle Fire. Neither was running "Android" (Kindle Fire is technically Android but it's a very deep gutting of it) and Google needed a product to hold off the two. The pressure and stakes become increasingly higher and Microsoft's Surface only made things more intense. I bet Google will come out with a better product than the Nexus 7 next year. In my eyes, it's an intermediary product, something to make sure they are completely left butt naked.

Last edited:

briceman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I don't like the 7" form factor. It's the oddball. Sure it's cheap which is one of the biggest factors. The lure of the Nexus 7 is not the 7" display. It's the price. If the iPad costs $200, no one would even think about a 7".

Not true. My wife does not like the size of the iPad and prefers a smaller screen.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
why does something need to be presented to you in a certain way? It took all of 2 clicks to see that majority of your recent posts are about the 7inch tablet.

Oh, I thought we would read people's posts and arguments and discuss them based on what they actually type, but now I can just ignore how people say things and infer whatever I want. This explains your approach. For example:

We get it, you hate the idea of a 7inch tablet. You also hate that people say they want a 7inch tablet.

This, of course, is not shown in anything I've posted. It must be 'make everything up day' on Mac Rumors (who am I kidding, that's every day here).

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Not true. My wife does not like the size of the iPad and prefers a smaller screen.

You missed my point. If the iPad were $200, would anyone including your wife think about a smaller screen? Ask her, I'm not hating on Android. I'm a developer and I write code for both platforms. The real issue is the iPad's $500 price tag versus something that is less than half the cost that can do similar things and do them just as well for the most part.

Btw, Carouser and rmhop81, please quit your bickering. Agree to disagree?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Oh, I thought we would read people's posts and arguments and discuss them based on what they actually type, but now I can just ignore how people say things and infer whatever I want. This explains your approach. For example:

This, of course, is not shown in anything I've posted. It must be 'make everything up day' on Mac Rumors (who am I kidding, that's every day here).
i'm done wasting time replying to you. All you do is argue in all your posts to try to show people up. Why do I need to present something to you in a specific way? Enjoy trolling- i won't be responding anymore

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Really want to play with one of these, especially some I'm a Android fanboy (I'm sure I will one day), but I'm loving my iPad 2 with AT&T wayyyy too much. It's not too big like those 10.1 inch tablets and not too small like the 7" Kindle Fire. Although I am on WiFi most of the time, it's really nice knowing that I have mobile data when I need it not needing to worry about tethering from my Galaxy S3.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk II

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Btw, Carouser and rmhop81, please quit your bickering. Agree to disagree?

I thought I was making germane points; to be accused of trolling is really disappointing (I even asked for evidence of all these terrible things I've been doing, and get more abuse!).

On topic: I've used a few eReaders and found the size and weight great for reading, so there you go. That said, eReaders are very cheap (relatively) so I wonder if the Nexus 7 will offer enough advantages to move away from an iPad + eReader combo.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I thought I was making germane points; to be accused of trolling is really disappointing (I even asked for evidence of all these terrible things I've been doing, and get more abuse!).

On topic: I've used a few eReaders and found the size and weight great for reading, so there you go. That said, eReaders are very cheap (relatively) so I wonder if the Nexus 7 will offer enough advantages to move away from an iPad + eReader combo.

I didn't take sides. The bickering is annoying no matter who is wrong or right.

And as for your comment, I don't think so. People still cling onto the eReader (presumably with an E-Ink display) because of it's clarity under sunlight. That's one of the biggest reasons people still buy Kindles and Nooks (E-Ink ones) over LCD tablets. The Nexus 7 doesn't offer that. People like the iPad because it's the right size for many (not all). The Nexus 7 is really too small. It sells like hot cakes because 1) it's CHEAP at $199 2) it's running Jelly Bean/Android so it's a capable tablet 3) it's CHEAP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.