Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, but I meant journals, textbooks, pdf, etc. Reading for work, studying, etc.

Well speaking from experience my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus handles PDF's great in landscape mode. I had to take notes for a math credit course and in landscape everything loaded and I didn't have to zoom even when it came to small hand-written scanned notes.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Here's the only reason I wouldn't buy a smaller iPad. The screen resolution. If it hasn't got a retina display then i will not buy one. I understand the device will be cheaper so the screen may take a hit but after using retina displays for years the screen would be something I wouldn't want to use. I don't know, maybe they can somehow put a retina display in there at a low price point?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I have a Nexus 16GB ordered at J&R for $234 (they had a $15 off on 7/4). It's on backorder. I already have a Samsung Tab Plus 7" that I bought 3 weeks ago on an Amazon deal for $173. I'm still holding my breath for Samsung to release the ICS update. This is meant to replace one of the car DVD players so having 16GB + SD slot is a big plus, so I will probably end up canceling the Nexus order, which is too bad because that 7" 1280x720 screen is a great size and resolution.

I have a 32GB iPad 3 and had both prior versions, and I would have bought a 7" iPad the instant it comes out. I can use both sizes. Apple needs two sizes each on the iPhone and iPad - a bigger iPhone and a smaller iPad! But it's a bit too late as I already have the Tab Plus 7 and jumped ship to a Gnex phone from 4S, both of which I'm very pleased with.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
People like the iPad because it's the right size for many (not all). The Nexus 7 is really too small. It sells like hot cakes because 1) it's CHEAP at $199 2) it's running Jelly Bean/Android so it's a capable tablet 3) it's CHEAP.

I think there ARE a few people who do genuinely want a smaller tablet, and they would buy a 7" iPad even if it cost the same as the 9" one. But for most people, I agree they are looking for a cheaper price. If Apple lowered the price of the iPad 2 another $100 to sell it at $300, that would pretty much crush the 7" tablet market.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
People like the iPad because it's the right size for many (not all). The Nexus 7 is really too small. It sells like hot cakes because 1) it's CHEAP at $199 2) it's running Jelly Bean/Android so it's a capable tablet 3) it's CHEAP.
IMO, there's a lot of people out there that accept the iPad being "the right size" mainly because it's the only size we were offered. But once a 7" Tablet running the OS that WE prefer then the idea that "7in is too small" will be put in the same bucket as the "Text messaging is just for kids", "Nobody needs mobile LTE speeds" or "My iPhone will be less functional if it's bigger" nonsense because too many people form opinions without even trying it out.

I think what we are going to see IF a smaller iPad comes out is the same breakdown that we see with the bigger iPad. People will buy the version with the bare minimum specs because its the cheapest entry point, but a significant amount of people will also max out all specs and because many of us out here are more about getting a more portable iPad and price doesnt matter.

Personally, I have to carry what is essentially a purse in order to travel with my iPad3 so IF a smaller version comes out then I will gladly buy it and price wont get in the way of portability.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
i had an opportunity yesterday to check out the newly arrived one that one of my co-workers bought and i can attest that the quality of the device is extremely nice, not a step down from what apple would do if they were to make a smaller tablet.

if this thing really has 9-10 hrs of real-world battery life, it's a sweet tablet provided you don't need 3g and are OK with the smaller screen size.

tempting to buy one but having a second tablet isn't really going to help me and the wiser move would be to put the $200+ against a future ipad4 or ipad5 upgrade.

I got my Nexus 7 at Sam's club over the weekend. The device is awesome. The device is really well built also.

briceman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
You missed my point. If the iPad were $200, would anyone including your wife think about a smaller screen? Ask her, I'm not hating on Android. I'm a developer and I write code for both platforms. The real issue is the iPad's $500 price tag versus something that is less than half the cost that can do similar things and do them just as well for the most part.

Btw, Carouser and rmhop81, please quit your bickering. Agree to disagree?

Price point is not an issue to her. She wants a smaller tablet. She liked the Kindle Fire, but wanted the iOS ecosystem, so we are hoping a smaller iPad does come out, and for now she uses her iPhone.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
People just want a 7 inch tablet Because google has one. Before the nexus 7 announcement nobody was taking about 7 inch tablet like they are now. the 200$ price point seems to be the only reason people are initially are even buying it. Apple does not give people what they want Because once the hype goes away like it will for the nexus 7 people are going to be like why did I eve buy this. Just like With the kindle fire.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I was gonna jump on ordering 2 nexus 7 then again google tried to charge me for tax which I didnt like.

So now I'm waiting for a smaller ipad, and a nexus 7 to be available locally, then I will be happy to pay tax and bo shipping lol.

I know kinda stupid principal that I have. When ordering online I'm fine with paying shipping, but no tax unless the company actually have a store in my state which google doesnt.

You still owe the sales tax... the only question is whether Google collects it at the time of purchase or you pay it when you file your annual state tax return.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Does having a smaller screen make reading PDF or big books a hassle? Do you have to constantly scroll left to right? How would you compare the comfort level for reading between a 10" and a 7"?
Also, is there a hack to run flash on it yet?

1. Big book wouldn't really be a hassle
2. I doubt
3. There's photon browser for ipad. And you also won't get flash on a nexus 7.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
People just want a 7 inch tablet Because google has one. Before the nexus 7 announcement nobody was taking about 7 inch tablet like they are now. the 200$ price point seems to be the only reason people are initially are even buying it. Apple does not give people what they want Because once the hype goes away like it will for the nexus 7 people are going to be like why did I eve buy this. Just like With the kindle fire.
Wow. Too many things wrong there to even bother disputing.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I was gonna jump on ordering 2 nexus 7 then again google tried to charge me for tax which I didnt like.

So now I'm waiting for a smaller ipad, and a nexus 7 to be available locally, then I will be happy to pay tax and bo shipping lol.

I know kinda stupid principal that I have. When ordering online I'm fine with paying shipping, but no tax unless the company actually have a store in my state which google doesnt.

stupid principle? i thought it was the law :) most companies dont. When i order from musicians friend they never do here in texas. wahoo.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Wow. Too many things wrong there to even bother disputing.

Actually, he's spot on.

This will be a buyer's remorse thing. Once again, initial hype and then after a few months they'll be collecting dust on people's shelves and in warehouses.

iCal and come back. I guarantee it.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
stupid principle? i thought it was the law :) most companies dont. When i order from musicians friend they never do here in texas. wahoo.

Currently online companies only charge tax in states where they have some physical operation (warehouse, distribution center, etc.). So if Musician's Friend has no physical ties to Texas, it won't charge tax in Texas.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Currently online companies only charge tax in states where they have some physical operation (warehouse, distribution center, etc.). So if Musician's Friend has no physical ties to Texas, it won't charge tax in Texas.

...yep i already knew that ;) they cant legally tax you if they don't physically have their business there. that's why i told the post i was replying to its the law, and not just his principle so he shouldn't feel that its stupid.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
IMO, there's a lot of people out there that accept the iPad being "the right size" mainly because it's the only size we were offered. But once a 7" Tablet running the OS that WE prefer then the idea that "7in is too small" will be put in the same bucket as the "Text messaging is just for kids", "Nobody needs mobile LTE speeds" or "My iPhone will be less functional if it's bigger" nonsense because too many people form opinions without even trying it out.

I think what we are going to see IF a smaller iPad comes out is the same breakdown that we see with the bigger iPad. People will buy the version with the bare minimum specs because its the cheapest entry point, but a significant amount of people will also max out all specs and because many of us out here are more about getting a more portable iPad and price doesnt matter.

Personally, I have to carry what is essentially a purse in order to travel with my iPad3 so IF a smaller version comes out then I will gladly buy it and price wont get in the way of portability.

I've tried out many 7" tablets. Samsung's Galaxy Tab and RIM's PlayBook amongst others. The part I bolded is completely false. The iPad is not the first or only tablet in the market. The iPad is the first and only one to get it right. Your examples with LTE, text messaging and a bigger iPhone are logically wrong. That isn't to say they are wrong but to compare to that this is wrong. I do think the 7" size is too small. For an ereader, no. For a general tablet, yes.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
This "too large" or "too small" argument sound like Goldilocks to me. There is no such thing. Different people have different preferences. One size does NOT fit all. Accept it an move one.

I absolutely love the 7" factor, although I find it a little too small for my taste. I've been playing with the Nexus 24 hours, and am very impressed with how slick Jelly Bean is. My preferred form factor is the 8.9 GTab. I own that one, the 7" one, and the Nexus (and the iPad of course). I find the iPad a little too heavy for some of my uses. The 8.9 GTab is perfect for me. Lighter, slimmer than the iPad and big enough for my purposes.

That being said, I am keeping my Nexus because I really like that form factor as well, and I think Google got it right this time. If they come up with a Nexus 8 or 9, I'm all over that! :apple:

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
OP, I don't know what you mean to insinuate about the men of this forum saying it can fit nicely in a woman's purse. A lot of things can fit in a woman's purse, so what?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Well I know the law. I didnt like the fact that google charge me tax when they dont have any store here in texas.

It's not just a store but a business presence in the state that creates a state sales tax obligation. Google is not charging you the tax, your state is, Google has to pay every cent of that to Texas.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Well I know the law. I didnt like the fact that google charge me tax when they dont have any store here in texas.

You live in your state.

Which means that...

You still owe the state sales tax (assuming your state has state sales tax).

If the company that you are buying from does not have nexus (a physical location) in your state, the state doesn't have the ability to require that they charge you for the tax.

The particulars differ from state to state, but you are supposed to tell them how much stuff you purchased from out of state during the year and pay the appropriate state sales tax.

Amazon has already had to cut a deal w/ California.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
I've tried out many 7" tablets. Samsung's Galaxy Tab and RIM's PlayBook amongst others. The part I bolded is completely false. The iPad is not the first or only tablet in the market. The iPad is the first and only one to get it right. Your examples with LTE, text messaging and a bigger iPhone are logically wrong. That isn't to say they are wrong but to compare to that this is wrong. I do think the 7" size is too small. For an ereader, no. For a general tablet, yes.

This.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.