Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vh1981

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Ram 1gb...

http://cdn.sonnydickson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/iPh6-motherboard2.jpg
http://www.skhynix.com/products/mob...nfo.ramKind=33&info.eol=NOT&posMap=MobileDDR3

The RAM part numbers on the A8 start with H9CKNNN... which is Hynix LPDDR3. So no LPDDR4. The A7 die they show begin with the same numbers. The next digit after the N determines the capacity with 8 being 1 GB (ie. H9CKNNN8) and B being 2 GB (H9CKNNNB). Sadly the image isn't high enough to make it out.

it looks like H9CKNNN8... so sad iPhone 6's RAM is 1GB.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

kdarling

macrumors P6
Why this coming year and not last year or the year before? NFC has been in Samsung phones since the S3 (released in 2012) and Visa and Samsung have teamed up in 2013 to accelerate the boosting of NFC.

That's a good question.

It's coming because Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX and others are forcing the issue.

Most of them have a deadline in the US of EMV adoption by October 2015. After that, merchants become liable for fraudulent card purchases.

The rest of the civilized world has already moved to EMV. In those countries, credit card fraud has dropped up to 90%... which has caused criminals to move their fraud operations to the US instead.

Again, though, I don't think this will result in any huge move to constant mobile payments. Not for a while. But people will want the option.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
http://cdn.sonnydickson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/iPh6-motherboard2.jpg
http://www.skhynix.com/products/mob...nfo.ramKind=33&info.eol=NOT&posMap=MobileDDR3

The RAM part numbers on the A8 start with H9CKNNN... which is Hynix LPDDR3. So no LPDDR4. The A7 die they show begin with the same numbers. The next digit after the N determines the capacity with 8 being 1 GB (ie. H9CKNNN8) and B being 2 GB (H9CKNNNB). Sadly the image isn't high enough to make it out.

Appears to be an 8 to me on both. Somewhat disappointing.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Not likely, for two reasons:

1) NFC payments are here and will be accelerating, with or without Apple. Not supporting them would be like leaving out Bluetooth.

Yeah I'm not buying this anymore. People keep saying this but is there any proof this is happening?

I know that the option is available in far more places than the US but I doubt it's being used, but again would love to be proved wrong. You must be basing the sentence "nfc payments are here and will be accelerating" on something. What is it?

I know I'll at least try it when apple does it because the US will see more retailers adopt it, but I still don't think I'll use it always.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Screw payment system, I want my front door lock to be NFC and my car so i can open my house with my phone and my fingerprint.

I ideally want to leave my keys and wallet at home. phone and headphones. thats all you need.

lose the phone and your out of luck...

Mashurrab

macrumors regular
May 30, 2014
Nice idea

Screw payment system, I want my front door lock to be NFC and my car so i can open my house with my phone and my fingerprint.

I ideally want to leave my keys and wallet at home. phone and headphones. thats all you need.

Untill it runs out of battery and you can not start your car, take a taxi or even open your home :rolleyes:

----------

That's okay. I'll thank Apple for speeding up USB adoption and the addition of webcams to a laptop's bezel but NFC adoption was actually going well even before Apple.

There is a big difference between availability on other brands and adaption. NFC is available on other phones that is true, but adaption is almost zero except in Korea and Japan

alirz

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Montreal,Canada
Exactly! Lol! Just because every major Android phone had NFC doesn't mean it was going well.

Atleast in Canada here, I've been using debit and credit cards that are NFC based atleast for the last 2 years... I use them almost daily either at grocery stores or at the gas pumps...Yes NFC on phones still hasnt taken off here but thats because of stupid a** carrier restrictions.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
There is a big difference between availability on other brands and adaption. NFC is available on other phones that is true, but adaption is almost zero except in Korea and Japan

Hey thanks, I'm pretty sure you're right, but do you have a source for this?

I highly doubt nfc payments are exploding all over the world and not the US.

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
Untill it runs out of battery and you can not start your car, take a taxi or even open your home :rolleyes:

----------

I've been coloring this post with examples of how prevalent NFC is in the US. I'm not going to retype all that. NFC Bluetooth pairing in speakers and other home audio devices, credit card kiosks, etc. Go back and read.

Exactly! Lol! Just because every major Android phone had NFC doesn't mean it was going well.

I'm going to pull my hair out of my head. NFC is not just on smartphones, it's in credit cards too, speakers, clothing, there are NFC tags. Some are there to work with smartphones, but not all.

And so my yard stick for measuring "going well" wasn't its inclusion in Android phones.

Besides someone had to step up first. Android has had it meaning it's been ready as NFC has started becoming more and more embedded. Windows Phone has had it too, since the first version of the new Windows Phone. NFC, like other tech standards, faced a chicken vs egg (which comes first) problem, that Android and Windows Phone helped solve by including in every phone. But Visa and Mastercard have been there too.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

The masses who are actually spending money do. Don't bring up the pathetic Android market share argument while they are still the secondary platform of development and revenue. That market share is just a number but that's a different argument that I won't get into here.

We'll just see how where NFC is by this time next year as compared to how niche it has been up until now. If I recall Flash also died out due to non support from Apple despite the mighty support of Android marketshare.

Last edited:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Look on the back of all of your cards. If one has an icon that looks like the first image (like the WiFi signal indicator on your iPhone, turned sideways), it supports NFC.

My bank's VISA credit card has the icon, but not my debit card. Some, but not all American Express cards have it (they call it Express Pay).

No, I don't have that icon on my card.

----------

Don't buy cheap junk. That'll solve it.

My headset isn't cheap. All of Apple's $70 Bluetooth accessories have the same problems. Even if the battery is fine, the mouse or keyboard will sometimes randomly drop as well. There's a reason why nearly all the wireless mice just come with a little USB wireless receiver instead of using Bluetooth.

Mashurrab

macrumors regular
May 30, 2014
Hey thanks, I'm pretty sure you're right, but do you have a source for this?

I highly doubt nfc payments are exploding all over the world and not the US.

There are few facts about NFC that many people do not know. The technology is intended for micro payments, like paying for vending machines and bus stations. The type of payments that banks can cover fraudulent actions and so they do not have to invest money in security and this is a fact about NFC that it does not have any security protection apart from the fact that you really need to come very close from the card or to actually touch it. You can find many videos on the Internet for people who come close to NFC enabled card holders and read their information as a proof for that. NFC readers are available in so many places , even in USA, but people simply do not know about them. Apple have requested a patent for a touch ID enabled NFC integration where they will address the security part. Your card information will be saved in the secure enclave of the CPU which is not accessible by any system except the touch Id sensor and for payment you have to authenticate on the sensor to authorize the payment. As usual from apple an elegant and simple solution which will explode the use of NFC. Other companies have the NFC chip for years on the phones as a feature on the list of many unused features list but never provided a secure solution that is simple for users to use.
This is why I like apple. They do not go into feature wars like other companies and provide half baked features that is not used after 5 minutes from buying the phone. They work hard to make completed features secure and simple for the normal user.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
There are few facts about NFC that many people do not know. The technology is intended for micro payments, like paying for vending machines and bus stations. The type of payments that banks can cover fraudulent actions and so they do not have to invest money in security and this is a fact about NFC that it does not have any security protection apart from the fact that you really need to come very close from the card or to actually touch it. You can find many videos on the Internet for people who come close to NFC enabled card holders and read their information as a proof for that. NFC readers are available in so many places , even in USA, but people simply do not know about them. Apple have requested a patent for a touch ID enabled NFC integration where they will address the security part. Your card information will be saved in the secure enclave of the CPU which is not accessible by any system except the touch Id sensor and for payment you have to authenticate on the sensor to authorize the payment. As usual from apple an elegant and simple solution which will explode the use of NFC. Other companies have the NFC chip for years on the phones as a feature on the list of many unused features list but never provided a secure solution that is simple for users to use.
This is why I like apple. They do not go into feature wars like other companies and provide half baked features that is not used after 5 minutes from buying the phone. They work hard to make completed features secure and simple for the normal user.

I know this too. My question is to the people who come in here telling americans they dont know anything about other countries and how nfc payments are everywhere in europe.

I'm not buying it.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014

Its so sad that people really think like this.

You'd be the first person to scream outrage when suddenly your iPhone refuse to unlock your door...and you have no real keys.

----------

well yeah. Unlike all geeks needing a new spec to wank over, Apple isn't likely to see NFC as the end all and be all

I'm still shocked to learn that they are using it at all. NFC is notoriously poor technology that is easy to hack. Not as easy as RFID, but almost.

I'm sure it has something to do with a secure enclave in the A8. The way they protect Touch ID data has possibly turned out to be secure enough to store payment data as well.

Still.....I don't know how Apple could possibly get passed the easy hacking of NFC frequency....$200 worth of parts at Radio Shack can assemble a device to hack NFC and steal data from anyone nearby actively using it.

happywaiman

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Please search for an antenna really near the chip.
NFC is low energy->antenna is close to the chip to reduce the noise (Samsung place the chip next to the battery plug, where the battery contains the antenna. )

If you can't find it, I will still say Apple is working with BlueTooth LE payment system. They actually get an example that if your iPhone is very close (~5cm) to another iOS device, a long data transfer safely and very fast.
Otherwise, why they need an off market chip? PV65 from Galaxy Nexus gets everything for NFC payment, but Apple need a custom made one?

----------

Its so sad that people really think like this.

You'd be the first person to scream outrage when suddenly your iPhone refuse to unlock your door...and you have no real keys.

----------

I'm still shocked to learn that they are using it at all. NFC is notoriously poor technology that is easy to hack. Not as easy as RFID, but almost.

I'm sure it has something to do with a secure enclave in the A8. The way they protect Touch ID data has possibly turned out to be secure enough to store payment data as well.

Still.....I don't know how Apple could possibly get passed the easy hacking of NFC frequency....$200 worth of parts at Radio Shack can assemble a device to hack NFC and steal data from anyone nearby actively using it.

I think the NXP chip is for saving the secure information. (PN65 has a secure saving feature, connect to SIM card, and connect to CPU. Dropping the NFC circuit and expose the connection interface to Bluetooth LE would be a reason for NXP develop a new chip. )
Payment system should not stop when your CPU is down from low power, so it will make sense if they offload the secure enclave for payment system from CPU to another chip.

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
I have never seen anyone use NFC and know of very few places in the UK that even bother to implement it.

Seriously? Loads of places take NFC in the UK now. Lots of major chains of food places, some chains of pubs, London buses, Underground (Next month), etc.

The problem really for phones was until recently there wasn't any apps on Android even that could let people use it in the UK. However EE and Vodafone have apps now.

I fully expect Apple to have Visa or Mastercard on board so they will work anywhere that takes NFC pretty much out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.