Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emiliosic

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Wakefield MA
The Kwickset Kevo does just that; without the need for NFC.

Screw payment system, I want my front door lock to be NFC and my car so i can open my house with my phone and my fingerprint.

I ideally want to leave my keys and wallet at home. phone and headphones. thats all you need.

DerekAndonian

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
Screw payment system, I want my front door lock to be NFC and my car so i can open my house with my phone and my fingerprint.

I ideally want to leave my keys and wallet at home. phone and headphones. thats all you need.

That's all fine and dandy until your phone battery dies and you get stuck somewhere because you can't start your car... :eek:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I know this too. My question is to the people who come in here telling americans they dont know anything about other countries and how nfc payments are everywhere in europe.

I'm not buying it.

Seems most that say their country of origin uses it a lot and assume the whole world does too...lol.

I've been coloring this post with examples of how prevalent NFC is in the US.

I've seen it in quite a few places now. But I've yet to see anybody actually use it in the US.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Lose your wallet. Same thing. What's your point?

Tired of this lame excuse. The same darn thing would happen if you lost your wallet.

Quit. Using. This. Lame. Excuse.

I don't keep my keys in my wallet, that's my point. In fact if I lost my wallet I would lose all of $40 a drivers license which is easy to replace and a credit card which is also easy to replace. I would still get in my house though.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Here's an example of both car and house door in one:

In 2012, BMW partnered with a the Stockholm Clarion Hotel, for a pilot program where BMW owners could remotely reserve a room from their car.

When they got to the hotel, they simply went to their reserved room and used their BMW NFC key fob to open the NFC equipped room door.

BMW has foreseen a lot of uses for such a key fob.

BMW's NFC Key is your ticket to ride, and you should care - Engadget

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I've used NFC with my credit/debit card a few times but here in the UK you can only use it for purchases under £10 ($16) as far as I'm aware so for me it's a bit of a non-starter.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Seems most that say their country of origin uses it a lot and assume the whole world does too...lol.

Yeah the more I hear it the more I realize how flimsy it sounds. If you read macrumors its like the entire galaxy is using nfc payments, authorizing millions per day while the US lags horribly behind.

Not buying that crap...

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California

That might be the future. However, what do you do if it gets stolen, or shatters into a million pieces, or gets wet? If this thing was as cheap, as sturdy and as weather resistant as a physical key, that would be awesome.

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
It's coming because Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX and others are forcing the issue.

They have to be. The use of a constant identifier is laughable. Even computer game logins are protected better than bank accounts, because the pass code changes every 30 seconds. I want my credit card number to change every 30 seconds.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
Lose your wallet. Same thing. What's your point?

Tired of this lame excuse. The same darn thing would happen if you lost your wallet.

Quit. Using. This. Lame. Excuse.

Besides "losing" it...it could also just stop working. Technology is never perfect.

gwizz

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Working in London (shoreditch) I use NFC multiple times daily, to the point that I no longer need to carry cash. This plus I use NFC for travel, Oyster card.

In regards to security (max £15-£20 depending on who you bank with per transaction), occasional payments do need pin entry to confirm ownership. And if your card is stolen, like mine was, the bank will reimburse fraudulent transactions, mine totalled £35.

So I for one welcome NFC on the new iPhone, allow mandatory pin or fingerprint identification on transactions over £20 and let me bin my wallet and travel cards forever.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
I think it's prerty obvious the iWatch will have NFC. Now you won't have to pull out your phone from your pocket, just use your watch and psy, that's it. It just works.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Now it's even more interesting that Apple's own stores have mobile payment units with NFC.

They're probably getting ready to accept tap payments from owners of the iPhone 6.

So maybe the mystery cube contains both a demo home and a store. And an exercise room.

(Assuming it doesn't contain an animatronic Steve, that is.)

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Besides "losing" it...it could also just stop working. Technology is never perfect.

So could all your credit cards. Mine did once for some unknown reason. Maybe it was a magnet? Who knows. The point is that we're just trading in one for another. The "loss" reasoning really isn't anything.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Like I said a couple of times, I think Apple finally included NFC on the iPhone 6 models for the following reasons:

1. Japanese and South Korean cellphone carriers want this capability because NFC mobile payment systems are common in these two countries.

2. Apple's rumored mobile payments deal with China UnionPay may require NFC because China UnionPay payment terminals in China use NFC.

3. Apple's newest handheld devices used at their Apple Store retail stores for payment confirmation uses NFC.

4. Because the case design of the iPhone 6 models are totally new (and uses an antenna design cross-licensed from HTC), they can design in an NFC radio/antenna subsystem right from the start.

If Apple's NFC subsystem works with current NFC payment systems like Mobile Suica and Rakuten Edy in Japan and Olleh Touch in South Korea, this could be REALLY bad news for Android handset makers. It could effectively put an end to garakei phones in Japan and could really hurt Samsung and LG, too.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Maybe it's also about controlling stuff in your home automatically as you walk past

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Exactly! Lol! Just because every major Android phone had NFC doesn't mean it was going well.

You've never heard of it, so it mustn't exist, right?

More than 90% of the total global value of transactions from mobile NFC payments was generated in the Asia Pacific region, particularly in Japan and South Korea.
Japan has the largest number of NFC enabled POS (>1 Million) in the world. There are more than 70 million NFC-enabled devices in Japan, according to Wireless Watch, compared with around 3 million in the US.

Source: http://www.thepaypers.com/mobile-pa...tless-payments-in-japan-south-korea/754854-16

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Please oh please let it work with my Sony RX100m2 camera. While I can still use the iPhone without NFC, with it is so much easier. It's really the only thing I use NFC for.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Like I said a couple of times, I think Apple finally included NFC on the iPhone 6 models for the following reasons:

1. Japanese and South Korean cellphone carriers want this capability because NFC mobile payment systems are common in these two countries.

2. Apple's rumored mobile payments deal with China UnionPay may require NFC because China UnionPay payment terminals in China use NFC.

3. Apple's newest handheld devices used at their Apple Store retail stores for payment confirmation uses NFC.

4. Because the case design of the iPhone 6 models are totally new (and uses an antenna design cross-licensed from HTC), they can design in an NFC radio/antenna subsystem right from the start.

If Apple's NFC subsystem works with current NFC payment systems like Mobile Suica and Rakuten Edy in Japan and Olleh Touch in South Korea, this could be REALLY bad news for Android handset makers. It could effectively put an end to garakei phones in Japan and could really hurt Samsung and LG, too.

The big reason for NFC is the iWatch. You won't have to take out your phone from your pocket to make payments, just use your watch. Your iWatch with NFC will be your ultimate key and wallet. Mark my words.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014

And what do you do when your battery runs out of juice? Apple has been very careful not to give their customers a too big battery so that you can't go through a whole day without charging the thing.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
uh huh..

We'll see.

Lets use a bunch of technologies because we couldn't settle on one from the start, its fun to change our minds constantly.

Much better.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Android - you better thank Apple for this...NFC will finally take off!

NFC is already here and in use in some countries... i.e. Canada.

hmm didnt you guys say that last year? or was it the year before?

It's only the United States which is behind in payment technology, both NFC and EMV. Probably due to how deregulated/decentralized the US banking system is ... no one can agree on anything.

Yes NFC on phones still hasnt taken off here but thats because of stupid a** carrier restrictions.

Mobile wallet payment is available at the major banks now - you just need to swap for a new payment compatible SIM ($10): http://www.rogers.com/web/content/suretap?setLanguage=en

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.