Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Escher

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2001
Dakar, Senegal
No Chrome = less scratches and less fingerprints = good!

I've resisted buying an iPod up to now, but I think I will jump on the bandwagon with this revision.

Escher

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i was planning on getting an engraving, but i would prefer to go without the metal. it scratches so bad.

can't wait to get one. i wonder when they will be available in japan... quickly, i hope.

oh, and escher, i agree with your signature. we need a sub-notebook. half the size of the 12"... i'd snap one up in a second!

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
i would say that they should do the back the same material and color as the front, with the iMac's chrome apple on the back at a fairly large size.

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
I don't know about lucite (or plastic) or whatever on the back, but the thought of some scratch-resistant (not proof) aluminum would be very nice, I think. . .

Gren

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
I hope this is true. The chrome on the current iPod looks great when you take it out of the box. But, if you are going to actually use the iPod it soon looks battered and you love it less ? This is the one design feature that Jonathan Ive was wron to include. Otherwise the iPod is damn near a perfect design. Ive should win the British "designer of the year" award.

With all that said, why are they changing the (almost perfect) design and moving the buttons?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This is a HUGE STEP BACKWARDS. Why would Apple make a non-chrome-back iPod if every other MP3 player already has a non-chrome-back??? The awad-winning design of the iPod is what makes it worth the money. If Apple is this stupid, NOBODY will buy one. I am thinking of switching to Windows before Apple goes bankrupt. Chrome is SO much easier to use! Why, Apple?!?!

[/end parody] :eek:

On the other hand... the new button placement (if true) has 2 advantages that I can see:

1. Easier to use with one hand. No Awkward reaching down towards the bottom of the iPod with your thumb. The main functions are now right under the screen, and with any luck they put the skip forward and skip back buttons next to each other.

2. No more hitting the volume wheel when you just want to skip or pause.

Gren

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
Gotcha. Somtimes Apple are guilty of vanity design. Chrome is a good mirror I suppose :)

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Do you guys really think the new iPod will br ugly...palease...ok, in all seriousness...Just wait the 2 weeks and you'll see that it is very nice. Apple won't f up when it comes to a current winning design.

Gren

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
Good industrial design is often not what the product looks like. rather, it's in the way the product is designed to be used - Form and function. The iPod is fantastic because it makes a pretty complicated device beguilingly easy to use. I owned a Rio before the iPod, you just have to use both to realize what a triumph Apple's player really is. The disposition of the controls around the jog dial (a inspired solution to navigating the software) is visually economical and reflects this thinking.

The chrome is my only issue. If just isn't 'fit for purpose'.

Apple do break their own rules this sometimes. I've got a battleship surround on my Safari browser. it's not that pinstripes is any better, just that in design terms one should be used to the exclusion of the other.

rant over.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by GPTurismo
Wasn't the metal used as a heat conductor for the HDD and Battery?

Not sure...but my iPod doesn't get hot at all...so i don't see a problem with getting rid of it.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
no chrome?

No chrome would be nice, but what "thinksecrets" rendering with the four buttons (if it's true)? I'd rather have chrome that scratches than four ugly buttons. Eh, I dunno....

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
What is wrong with the buttons on the supposedly new iPod? More functional then the current iPod.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by JSRockit
What is wrong with the buttons on the supposedly new iPod? More functional then the current iPod.

I have to agree with you. While I do love the design of the current iPod, I think the 4-button design is more functional. It seems like whenever I scroll the volume up, I accidently hit the skip forward button. Putting the buttons away from the scroll wheel is a great idea.

I'm anxious to see what Apple does to the iPod! Does anyone think they'll be calling the revision "iPod 2" (That is, if they change the case design)?

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I don't mind if Apple gets rid of the chrome, but please don't make it white plastic! More for your own good than mine (I'm happy with my 5 GB Pod).

I've had two iPods (my original was just a whole lot defective), and on both the plastic has taken more damage than the chrome. The plastic scrapes and smashes with minor drops. Sure the metal gets smudges, but the all-black carrying case does a great job of hiding that.

From what I've seen, Apple could be taking a step backwards. The Think Secret rendering only gives you an idea of the form, not the overall look. The new iPods could have an innovative new design to them. We'll have to wait and see.

As for the buttons moving, I think it detracts from the iPod's cool look. I could see the possible benefits of such a change with the touch sensitve scrollwheel models, but it really does look better the way it is now.

Then again, we don't know what this will really look like, so it's hard to say anything definate about the design... yet.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by JSRockit
Not sure...but my iPod doesn't get hot at all...so i don't see a problem with getting rid of it.

Even when you let it charge through your comp's FW port? Mine sure as heck does. That's why I never charge it through my computer. I always use the external adapter.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
What the hell? Is the ipod gonna get a color display? I hope not, that wil just be energy consuming and will not give any real advantage.
i m not sure if it will get one,m but a friend of mine told me so....

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
It would be a good idea if Apple didn't have the chrome on the back, because it seems like (from the iPods that I have seen), that fingerprints can easily be seen on the chrome. What about a white back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.