Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nabber

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2003
Re: Re: iPod's appearance

Originally posted by iJon
lol, i was just making a fun comment, no hard feelings, i just sounded funny at the time.

iJon

Fair enough iJon. Sorry to get so defensive. I got to thinking that I didn't articulate my comments well enough (which is common!) :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: iPod's appearance

Originally posted by Nabber
Fair enough iJon. Sorry to get so defensive. I got to thinking that I didn't articulate my comments well enough (which is common!) :)
no problem, you probably thought i was making fun of you or something, i just had to say it.

iJon

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
THe new iPod button layout doesn't look too hot. But, to say that you'd rather keep the old layout (on which the button layout makes for accidental selections) purely for aesthetics is a bit over the top, IMHO.

Though this isn't exactly aesthetically shagadelic, I'm currently thinking of a layout that has the touchwheel pretty much unchanged, and has two buttons at 9 o'clock, and two buttons at 3 o'clock. They wouldn't be round, but would form a semicircle on each side (sorta like Mickey Mouse ears... okay, bad analogy). If they have recessed centers, each button can be clearly differentiated by touch, and accidental bumpings would become less frequent, since I think that most people change volume by brushng the sides of their touchwheels, as opposed to to the top.

Just some late-night mental knee pushups.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i wonder what it would be like to have buttons on the side, control the scroll with your thumb and press other buttons with your fingers, probably wouldnt be to great thinking of it know. i like the mickey mouse idea but thinking of it in my head makes it look ugly. i get the best ideas of stuff browsing spymac and seeing the renders people do, they got some great ideas over there.

iJon

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
buttons and scrollwheel on the side, IMHO, would make it another smaller Zen or Sony player.

I'm not good with Photoshop, but i might be able to make a render one of these days. It does look sorta ugly, so I'm thinking of ways to modify my idea. a la diff button shapes/number of buttons.

Hey, maybe a 5-way hat at the center of the currrent wheel.
It doesn't need to stick out, just be grippy, resistive enough, and slightly clicky (just enough so you can feel it). Then, you wouldn't accidentally activate it when controlling volume. Have the icons for the fucntions where the current buttons are, but just have a white rubber disc at the center like a joystick.

Backlit Buttons

Just a thought for my first post: The idea of 4 buttons at the top of the iPod seemed kind of stupid at first, but the more I have thought about it, it does seem more functional. It is however, less pleasing to the eye, but I think I would get over it if the 4 buttons had fiber optic backlights like the new PowerBook keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.