Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
WHAT?!?!?!?!? Are you guys kidding here? Part of the reason that the iPod sells so well over other mp3 players with competitive feature sets (Creative Nomad, etc.) is it's aesthetic! This whole "new buttons, no chrome" look is simply atrotious. I want an iPod badly, but I'm getting a 10 GB refurb if these rumors are true. :(

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The new buttons...

... maybe they are blister-type or touch-activated recessed, so they are sealed. With rubber caps for the connectors, we could make the iPod waterproof (not for diving, but to protect it from splashes). I think that would be a plus.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by wsteineker
WHAT?!?!?!?!? Are you guys kidding here? Part of the reason that the iPod sells so well over other mp3 players with competitive feature sets (Creative Nomad, etc.) is it's aesthetic! This whole "new buttons, no chrome" look is simply atrotious. I want an iPod badly, but I'm getting a 10 GB refurb if these rumors are true. :(
did you already see the new look? how do you know it's atrocious?

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Originally posted by Shadowfax
did you already see the new look? how do you know it's atrocious?

Ok, fair enough. I have only the mock-ups at Think Secret and Loop Rumors to go on. If they're true to form, though, I think it's a real shame that Apple would let such a major design step backward see the light of day.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
ok, I, too, was judging off of the buttons on the mockup from ThinkSecret. I supposed I did jump the gun, but just look at the beautiful scroll wheel and functionality of the ipod's interface as a whole. It's so simple that it's beautiful.

But, yes, I do leave it up to Apple to create something that will be as equally eye catching. Not a rendering at ThinkSecret.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Hemingray
Even when you let it charge through your comp's FW port? Mine sure as heck does. That's why I never charge it through my computer. I always use the external adapter.

Actually...you are right. In use it doesn't, but I forgot about charging it.

sawaguchishinji

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2003
Brazil
Originally posted by wsteineker

Apple probably is going to be price-competitive with these new iPods. They will keep the 10GB iPod (the best selling one) and introduce these two new iPods with higher capacity and affordable to gain a lot more marketshare.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by JSRockit
Actually...you are right. In use it doesn't, but I forgot about charging it.

Okay, whew, so it's not just me then! :D

Not to change subjects, but I wonder why that is....? Anybody wanna have a guess? I have absolutely no clue why the iPod would get hot when being charged through my comp's FW port, but not when being charged with the external adapter.

The only reason I can possibly think of is when it's plugged into the comp it doesn't allow the HD to spin down? Never tried unmounting the iPod but keeping it plugged into my comp, maybe I should try that sometime. :p

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Never tried unmounting the iPod but keeping it plugged into my comp, maybe I should try that sometime. :p [/B]

I do this each time...and it still gets hot. I wouldn't worry about it though...it is normal. If Apple does not use the chrome on the new iPods...I guess we know the reason they are going toward the base.

Akira

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2002
The Netherlands
what's so great about the current button layout

You know what's so great aboudt the current button layout? The iPod looks a bit like a speaker.
Anyway, I don't ever have problems with the button placement, so why change it?

About the chrome, when you're charging your iPod, you'll notice the back gets hot, the chrome functions as a heat conductor, the battery is connected to the back so that it conducts the heat from the battery to the back and out of the iPod.

But hey, if you complain about scratching your iPod's back, try scratching it some more, and you'll have a cool brushed metal back :p

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Unless Apple will be contracting the supposed new plastic back covers from a different injection plant than now makes the fronts, this rumor simply is not true.

Apple explored the white plastic back idea, even going so far as to create functional prototypes and obtaining firm costing from the plastic injection shop last Fall. After that, there was no further activity toward a plastic back.

Interestingly, the stamping plant that makes the current nickel-stainless back had dramatic reductions in production orders in January through February. But, that has now passed, and production has been ramped back to "early 2002 levels" again on the shiny pack covers, for "over a month.".

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
good im glad, not it wont scatch and girls cant take it from me so they can do their hair.

iJon

Nabber

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2003
Geez! What's the big deal about the looks? I'd rather have function over form. A 40gb HD rather than a 30GB and gold plated doodads, Light weight and a plastic backing rather than a heavy stainless steel plating and an added 8 oz, or anything that allows for a smaller size. Sound like you guys are trying to use these things to pick up chicks or someting! If it looks great, that's an added bonus for me but in no way will button position or the choice of materials keep me from buying the new version.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Nabber
Geez! What's the big deal about the looks? I'd rather have function over form. A 40gb HD rather than a 30GB and gold plated doodads, Light weight and a plastic backing rather than a heavy stainless steel plating and an added 8 oz, or anything that allows for a smaller size. Sound like you guys are trying to use these things to pick up chicks or someting! If it looks great, that's an added bonus for me but in no way will button position or the choice of materials keep me from buying the new version.
well, while we are trying to pick up chicks with our pimp ipods you can go get you creative archos jukebox, its 40gb.

iJon

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
I totally disagree with Nabber abot the look thing, I can't stand something all chunky and stuff, Apple Stands for style, creativity, and productivity. Either way I only need like 1 gigabyte! I have 16 songs. So I guess I can substitute the 40 gigs for more style, I'm just worried because I'm the one looking at the iPod, so I should enjoy it

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
yeah I know, but I could live with it, at times like this I think of stuff like that I am fortunate to be able to afford stuff like this.

But then either way I end up selling it later

damax452

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
metal back

I was under the impression that the back of the iPod was metal for cooling purposes. I don't think a plastic backing would work with this device. I like the chrome look of ipods, but i dont own one so i havent had to deal with scratches. What I would like to see is an aluminum backing. It doesnt have to be polished to a mirror finish to look cool either. Aluminum can be anodized in nearly any color. It can also be hard anodized to make it very tough and diffacult to scratch. As for the front of the new iPods, I don't like 'em. The old design was great, I hope these mock ups are inacurrate. We'll see. :rolleyes:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
personally i would like the whole ipod to white, no need to mix color, make it like the ibook.

iJon

Nabber

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2003
iPod's appearance

Originally posted by iJon
well, while we are trying to pick up chicks with our pimp ipods you can go get you creative archos jukebox, its 40gb.

iJon

iJon, your logic is flawed.

Just because I don't get wobbly knees from the looks of a $400 MP3 player doesn't mean I don't like other *FEATURES* of the iPod. Such things as user interface, quality DSP (see article I posted on page 1 about the audition), small size, low weight, Firewire transfers, integration with my DP QuickSilver... Shall I go on?

I think it's safe to say Apple will most likely release something that is at least appealing to a majority of it's market. Why everyone freaks out over some 8th grader's drawing of an imaginary product is beyond me. (Actually, I think the LoopRumors rendition looks awesome!)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: iPod's appearance

Originally posted by Nabber
iJon, your logic is flawed.

Just because I don't get wobbly knees from the looks of a $400 MP3 player doesn't mean I don't like other *FEATURES* of the iPod. Such things as user interface, quality DSP (see article I posted on page 1 about the audition), small size, low weight, Firewire transfers, integration with my DP QuickSilver... Shall I go on?

I think it's safe to say Apple will most likely release something that is at least appealing to a majority of it's market. Why everyone freaks out over some 8th grader's drawing of an imaginary product is beyond me. (Actually, I think the LoopRumors rendition looks awesome!)
lol, i was just making a fun comment, no hard feelings, i just sounded funny at the time.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.