Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enzo Morocioli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Hey everyone! Any sense on when No Man's Sky will release for Mac OS Ventura? I just upgraded and wanted to try gaming on my M2 Air.

Reactions: Mattewes

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Hey everyone! Any sense on when No Man's Sky will release for Mac OS Ventura? I just upgraded and wanted to try gaming on my M2 Air.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/v6a34c
After that, the ball is entirely in Hello Games' court. Knowing how they typically operate, if I was a betting man, I would not put any money on the macOS/iPadOS version of NMS being released any sooner than April 2023.

They typically don't do much between late Nov. and early Jan. I'm guessing most of them take the holidays off as a reward for busting their butts during the other parts of the year. This is typical across our industry (software, not just games).

Also they would want to do the launch at a time when they can focus a lot of support resources to it, for at least a month or two. So I doubt we would see it drop in November—if there was any problem with the release, someone at HG's holiday vacation could get messed up.

Given also they will want a decent amount of time (conservative estimate: a quarter) to perfect the release using the final release of Ventura, which won't be available until next week or the week after, I think April is the very soonest we are likely to see this version, but it could be delayed further if any technical hurdles or OS bugs are found that would require Apple to make changes in their OS.

Risingsun

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011

This is the most recent mention of it, but no clear date.

• Love
Reactions: Enzo Morocioli

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I've been tracking this on my blog, but several have said on the Discord that they heard it would be delayed. I cannot find evidence of this in searching online. Has anyone heard anything from Hello Games or Apple to that effect?

That said, at this point, I do not expect it to release this year as initially indicated by Apple and HG for Mac.

bp

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I've been tracking this on my blog, but several have said on the Discord that they heard it would be delayed. I cannot find evidence of this in searching online. Has anyone heard anything from Hello Games or Apple to that effect?

That said, at this point, I do not expect it to release this year as initially indicated by Apple and HG for Mac.

bp

Grid Legends is delayed until 2023 so I guess NMS is too.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
No, does it matter?
Well if the game is done, but they are waiting on better timing that would be less worrisome than if the game still isn't done (which would imply they ran into issues they couldn't fix before the end of the year).

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Well if the game is done, but they are waiting on better timing that would be less worrisome than if the game still isn't done (which would imply they ran into issues they couldn't fix before the end of the year).

Don't think they're waiting for better timing since the holiday season is better for sales. I wouldn't worry much. They just need more time and it's better to release it later than too early. The most important thing is that it's coming but I understand your curiosity.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Grid Legends is delayed until 2023 so I guess NMS is too.
Someone on twitter mentioned that to me (oddly aggressively) recently. Why would you guess that because this Grid Legends is delayed, Hello Games' No Man's Sky would, likewise, be delayed?

They have nothing to do with one another.

bp

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Someone on twitter mentioned that to me (oddly aggressively) recently. Why would you guess that because this Grid Legends is delayed, Hello Games' No Man's Sky would, likewise, be delayed?

They have nothing to do with one another.

bp

Because there haven't been any updates on the Mac port since the announcement other than it's coming. Those two games have nothing to do with each other but I based my assumption on the pattern we've seen. First no release date and a long wait, then only a news about Grid Legends being delayed. At least Feral gave us an update but Hello Games is very quiet and with only 5 days left of 2022 it's safe to say that NMS is delayed too.

Enzo Morocioli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I sent several messages to the creators of NMS and they have not replied. And their website makes no mention of MacOS. I think it's vaporware. But... I still hope it'll materialize. Maybe by 2024? By then, maybe Star Citizen will come to Mac.......

Risingsun

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
I sent several messages to the creators of NMS and they have not replied. And their website makes no mention of MacOS. I think it's vaporware. But... I still hope it'll materialize. Maybe by 2024? By then, maybe Star Citizen will come to Mac.......
It’s not vaporware. Apple was literally doing demos of no man sky for the press last month when they were showing off the new M2 Mac mini’s and MacBook pros.

I don’t think they would be showing off no man sky to showcase the gaming capabilities of these Macs to the press if this was just a pipe dream.

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
It’s not vaporware. Apple was literally doing demos of no man sky for the press last month when they were showing off the new M2 Mac mini’s and MacBook pros.

I don’t think they would be showing off no man sky to showcase the gaming capabilities of these Macs to the press if this was just a pipe dream.
Macworld 1999, Steve introduced Bungie's "Halo" as a Mac exclusive a couple of months Later Mr. Softy bought Bungie Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.....Go straight to Redmond do not collect $200.00 no Mac version until much much later....

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
On Reddit back in October, I predicted April 2023 as the soonest possible macOS/iPadOS release date for NMS due to a variety of factors:

- macOS Ventura would not be released until sometime around November
- at WWDC they said NMS would require Ventura
- Hello Games takes a holiday break from Dec. thru mid-Jan.
- Hello Games never adds a new supported platform to the game in February
- PSVR 2 release date was late Feb.
- Apple tends to do their mid-cycle major SDK update in late-Feb./early Mar. (which would require build machines/CI-pipeline to be on Ventura)
- supporting a high-GPU-intensity game on a platform without fans (no air cooling!!!) is really challenging especially if it's using brand new platform APIs (latest Metal) that could have bugs
- iPadOS version will require developing a wholly new touch interface for the game
- the games industry has very few experienced Mac developers and NONE with experience developing Mac software for Apple Silicon specifically

So yeah, April seemed like the earliest realistic release date to me, as a professional iOS developer with 15 years experience who has played over 6,000 hours of No Man's Sky on all its platforms.

Also, April and Apple both start with "Ap".

Also note that by "earliest" I mean that I would be very unsurprised if it slips past that. Just be patient though, I'm sure they are going as fast as they can. They're good dudes & gals & theys.

droplink

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2014
Macworld 1999, Steve introduced Bungie's "Halo" as a Mac exclusive a couple of months Later Mr. Softy bought Bungie Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.....Go straight to Redmond do not collect $200.00 no Mac version until much much later....
You are bringing up repressed memories that were supposed to stay repressed!

Apple never understood games. Ever, never and forever is what mac gaming is.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
On Reddit back in October, I predicted April 2023 as the soonest possible macOS/iPadOS release date for NMS due to a variety of factors:

- macOS Ventura would not be released until sometime around November
- at WWDC they said NMS would require Ventura
- Hello Games takes a holiday break from Dec. thru mid-Jan.
- Hello Games never adds a new supported platform to the game in February
- PSVR 2 release date was late Feb.
- Apple tends to do their mid-cycle major SDK update in late-Feb./early Mar. (which would require build machines/CI-pipeline to be on Ventura)
- supporting a high-GPU-intensity game on a platform without fans (no air cooling!!!) is really challenging especially if it's using brand new platform APIs (latest Metal) that could have bugs
- iPadOS version will require developing a wholly new touch interface for the game
- the games industry has very few experienced Mac developers and NONE with experience developing Mac software for Apple Silicon specifically

So yeah, April seemed like the earliest realistic release date to me, as a professional iOS developer with 15 years experience who has played over 6,000 hours of No Man's Sky on all its platforms.

Also, April and Apple both start with "Ap".

Also note that by "earliest" I mean that I would be very unsurprised if it slips past that. Just be patient though, I'm sure they are going as fast as they can. They're good dudes & gals & theys.
Maybe the macOS version is done and they are still working on the iOS version so they can launch at the same time?

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
You are bringing up repressed memories that were supposed to stay repressed!

Apple never understood games. Ever, never and forever is what mac gaming is.
Abject apologies Droplink the good news 🎉 Tho it is still playable on the Mac as well as Oni, Marathon and Myth!! For some good Ole fashioned Bungie Goodness

image.png

image.png
Untitled 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman

Enzo Morocioli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
If anyone has updates on the port of No Man's Sky for Mac OS, please drop them here. Any Hello Games reps on this site? There should at least be a brief statement on the progress being made, or the reason behind the delay. Especially because in update 1.5, NEXT, it introduces a full multiplayer experience according to the notes. Could you imagine how fun that would be if Mac users could get a multiplayer space exploration game? Just something to play when we need downtime and casual entertainment?

Reactions: Risingsun

Risingsun

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
If anyone has updates on the port of No Man's Sky for Mac OS, please drop them here. Any Hello Games reps on this site? There should at least be a brief statement on the progress being made, or the reason behind the delay. Especially because in update 1.5, NEXT, it introduces a full multiplayer experience according to the notes. Could you imagine how fun that would be if Mac users could get a multiplayer space exploration game? Just something to play when we need downtime and casual entertainment?
you can try contacting them directly:

don't forget to ask about the iPad version too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.