Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Okay, at least you have the RAM. Thought maybe it's because of 8 GB. Report it at least.
I did, but I think the cloud save overwrote where I was on the Steam Deck, but I can't see to get the Deck version to stay running (it too crashes).

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Dang, it just isn't the Mac version. The Steam Deck version is crashing as well.
NMS has always been hit or miss with any update. And no it isn't only the Mac version, it's the game in general. Eventually they'll fix it to break something else with another update later on. It's been like that for years.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Supposedly runs better on the Switch.

"Tested it on base M1 mac. It can run with 60fps but it is very laggy. Tried it with different screen resolutions and presets. It is playable but not the best experience. I have to test it more.

Edit: Also it crashes when you quit the game. I have to force quit it in order to quit the game properly. If you want to buy it and have a macbook air m1 I think it would be best to wait and see some performance improvements update."

"Tested it on 30fps locked and fx set to performance. Resolution also set to 1440x900 presets set to medium. It still lags a bit. It is playable but not the best experience."

"Yeah, very similar experience to this, M1 Air 16gb, lots of stutters and the game crashes on close. Surprisingly smooth once you get into space, but lag on the planets makes the game pretty unplayable. Hopefully they sort it in a couple of updates"

"I think my switch is running this much better. I also have the 16gb version. We don't know if the performance will be improved later or this is the best it can do."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mac_fan75

OhSEx

Suspended
May 27, 2023
Some first impressions from those trying it

"...The game runs really well and looks great..."

"...feels super smooth. Base M1 Pro..."

"...Runs well on m1 base MacBook Air..."

"...I have never seen this game start up so fast on my windows machine..."

"...Truly astounding..."

Time will tell. Its important to get a variety of opinion and not let dishonest people mislead others.

Reactions: Mac_fan75 and Homy

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Supposedly runs better on the Switch.

"Tested it on base M1 mac. It can run with 60fps but it is very laggy. Tried it with different screen resolutions and presets. It is playable but not the best experience. I have to test it more.

Edit: Also it crashes when you quit the game. I have to force quit it in order to quit the game properly. If you want to buy it and have a macbook air m1 I think it would be best to wait and see some performance improvements update."

"Tested it on 30fps locked and fx set to performance. Resolution also set to 1440x900 presets set to medium. It still lags a bit. It is playable but not the best experience."

"Yeah, very similar experience to this, M1 Air 16gb, lots of stutters and the game crashes on close. Surprisingly smooth once you get into space, but lag on the planets makes the game pretty unplayable. Hopefully they sort it in a couple of updates"

"I think my switch is running this much better. I also have the 16gb version. We don't know if the performance will be improved later or this is the best it can do."

Where did you get your quote from?

Reactions: kpluck

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Where did you get your quote from?
It's from this Reddit. Two of them are from the same user. The other two seem to be deleted so maybe they changed their mind. Sure, nobody is denying that some users may have problems on fanless base Macs but to only summarize it as if it runs better on Switch is as usual stretching it. Ofcourse it's not interesting to include people with the same base M1 having a pleasant experience. Look at the other screenshots from the same thread.

Skärmavbild 2023-06-02 kl. 22.11.11.png

Skärmavbild 2023-06-02 kl. 22.16.11.png

Skärmavbild 2023-06-02 kl. 22.23.46.png

Skärmavbild 2023-06-02 kl. 22.23.57.png

Skärmavbild 2023-06-02 kl. 22.20.17.png

Skärmavbild 2023-06-02 kl. 22.17.02.png

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Ironically on the Deck it may be an input issue. I am going to wait because I don't want to start over on the Mac version.
Okay there was an update yesterday on my Steam Deck that fixed the issue. I am getting cross saves working now. Oddly enough with this save game I am now in the mid 60's for FPS (I set the quality back to default of high but left sync off). I can't fathom how folks are using upscaling and setting the display resolution to 1080p, that must look like someone smeared vaseline on the screen.

Reactions: Homy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.