Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So how does NMS strike you? Not directed at anyone in particular… :)

I tried it but got bored with the gather, build routine, and the 1 space station I visited did not impress me either, but in its defense even the AAA space games (at least on the outside) I’ve played don’t have extensive or any habitation layouts inside their big fancy space stations.

I’m dying to find a good X4-like game. I quit X4 in disgust, because it required too much research on my part to basically do anything significant and it felt empty on any kind of a social level. 🤔

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So how does NMS strike you? Not directed at anyone in particular… :)

I tried it but got bored with the gather, build routine, and the 1 space station I visited did not impress me either, but in its defense even the AAA space games I’ve played don’t have extensive or any habitation layouts inside their big fancy space stations, at least on the outside.

I’m dying to find a good X4-like game. I quit X4 in disgust, because it required too much research on my part to basically do anything significant and it felt empty on any kind of a social level. 🤔
NMS is nothing like X4, lol.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not sure I understand. You hated X4 but you're dying to find a game like it??
Exactly! :)
Abbreviated version: X4 has an outstanding premise, but a horrid execution. In X4 seemingly almost everything I tried to do, required extensive research online or watching YouTube videos to figure out. The UI is also messy, but I would not have quit just because of that. And no hand holding from this developer. Go do this, you figure out how, you’ll love it! :oops:

Reactions: Homy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I tried it but got bored with the gather
I had played No Mans Sky early on, and the resource management kind of bored me after a while. All I was doing was mining. I know the game has made a lot of major changes since I last played, so maybe I'll take another look, hopefully I'll not have to spend the first 40 hours of game play just blasting ore deposits.

Reactions: Huntn

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I had played No Mans Sky early on, and the resource management kind of bored me after a while. All I was doing was mining. I know the game has made a lot of major changes since I last played, so maybe I'll take another look, hopefully I'll not have to spend the first 40 hours of game play just blasting ore deposits.
There are two or three game modes now. I think creator mode allows you to fly around and do whatever you want with no real penalties. Otherwise the normal mode has the same survival type requirements that the "original" version had. There is other stuff that has been added, but I think a lot of that content isn't available in the very beginning.

Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That exactly…

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There are two or three game modes now. I think creator mode allows you to fly around and do whatever you want with no real penalties. Otherwise the normal mode has the same survival type requirements that the "original" version had. There is other stuff that has been added, but I think a lot of that content isn't available in the very beginning.
My gripe about NMS was the grind, that and fly up to the space station before heading to another planet to repeat. I wonder in the other modes what you can do? I had a similar complaint about Elite Dangerous in 2017ish, there was not enough there to keep me engaged, I found the trading there to be super boring.

This was where X3 was excellent, AI Captains that you could set up on a trade route and they would function on their own, same with miners. For a game that features trading, this Imo is a gold standard of sorts. Interesting enough I just reinstalled ED to see what changes have been made in the last 6 years. :)

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
If you find some good trading routes, you basically never have to mine again; you'll be wealthy enough to just buy whatever you need.

...of course, now you have to spend several hours grinding through the "buy cheap, sell expensive" trading experience. This may or may not be better than spending countless hours blasting ore deposits. 😅

In any case, I still haven't seen ANY news about an updated release date. :(

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you find some good trading routes, you basically never have to mine again; you'll be wealthy enough to just buy whatever you need.

...of course, now you have to spend several hours grinding through the "buy cheap, sell expensive" trading experience. This may or may not be better than spending countless hours blasting ore deposits. 😅

In any case, I still haven't seen ANY news about an updated release date. :(
This is why I keep harping about how good X3 and its AI Captains was, although it had a verticle learning curve, there was some good tutorials on line to mitigate the steepness. In X3, as the player, you had trading software built into the game, actually it was a module you bought for your ships. It was not that hard to scan the sectors and see the buy low and sell high opportunities. You just told the Captain here is your route, go fly it and make me money. And then you would periodically check the route for trading viability. :D

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Something that might ... possibly ... be an update / clue, here...

This morning, a new branch appeared (for the first time ever) on SteamDB for No Man's Sky, named "bejryy". It is being discussed in the Discord that a Caesar cypher decodes this string to "Orwell."

We still await the macOS release of NMS that was featured at WWDC 2022. (Apple also mentioned a coming iOS version at the event.)

The Mac was released in 1984, along with the famed, Orwellian "1984" commercial.

Apple is expected to reveal its mixed-reality AR/VR goggles at WWDC 2023 on June 5.

Apple is putting a great deal of weight behind the AR/VR goggles as a big, new product line.

No Man's Sky on PC and PS5 is considered to be one of the best VR-capable titles out there.

Could the delay of the macOS version of NMS be due to Apple and Hello Games aligning it to be a huge, day 1 outing for Apple VR?

Could be a big leap, there, but it's being discussed in #nms-spoilers on the 'cord.

bp

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Something that might ... possibly ... be an update / clue, here...

This morning, a new branch appeared (for the first time ever) on SteamDB for No Man's Sky, named "bejryy". It is being discussed in the Discord that a Caesar cypher decodes this string to "Orwell."

We still await the macOS release of NMS that was featured at WWDC 2022. (Apple also mentioned a coming iOS version at the event.)

The Mac was released in 1984, along with the famed, Orwellian "1984" commercial.

Apple is expected to reveal its mixed-reality AR/VR goggles at WWDC 2023 on June 5.

Apple is putting a great deal of weight behind the AR/VR goggles as a big, new product line.

No Man's Sky on PC and PS5 is considered to be one of the best VR-capable titles out there.

Could the delay of the macOS version of NMS be due to Apple and Hello Games aligning it to be a huge, day 1 outing for Apple VR?

Could be a big leap, there, but it's being discussed in #nms-spoilers on the 'cord.

bp

You know it would be nice if the Mac update for NMS is a reference to the 1984 ad. It's been ages since a Mac update for a game had a special trailer that referenced something Apple

Like when Half Life 2 recreated the ad

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
And now Sean Murray has tweeted the apple emoji

So here's hoping I'll soon be able to play NMS without having to fire up the noisy PC I have under my desk :)
Yep -- came in to share the heads up. The Mac version is certainly imminent. Let's remember that Apple's WWDC keynote is Friday the 5th. It could be that they are going to use NMS as a example platform for their expected AR/VR headset. The game has full-game and superb VR support on PC and Playstation.

bp

• Love
Reactions: Enzo Morocioli

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yep -- came in to share the heads up. The Mac version is certainly imminent. Let's remember that Apple's WWDC keynote is Friday the 5th. It could be that they are going to use NMS as a example platform for their expected AR/VR headset. The game has full-game and superb VR support on PC and Playstation.

bp
What is the likelihood that the VR version is standalone?

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
What is the likelihood that the VR version is standalone?
Likely. The latest on the AR/VR headset is that it is standalone (can also be used as a Mac display) and will feature TWO M2 SoCs... So it could be incredibly powerful.

(I am putting a blog post together on my NMS blog and will share when it's up.)

bp

Reactions: diamond.g

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Likely. The latest on the AR/VR headset is that it is standalone (can also be used as a Mac display) and will feature TWO M2 SoCs... So it could be incredibly powerful.

(I am putting a blog post together on my NMS blog and will share when it's up.)

bp
I spent some time expressing my thoughts on this in a blog post, if anyone is interested.

tigglepig

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
UK
If you take a look at https://steamdb.info/app/275850/config/ we can now see an 'Unnamed launch option' for the Mac:

1685623889475.png

And in the 'Cloud Saves' area we have:
1685624096808.png

So I'm hoping we'll be able to see our Windows cloud saves on the Mac.

And, just for reference, you can use the Goatfunus NMS Save Editor on the Mac, just download the latest version and take a look at the .bat file to see the java launch options and then manually run it on your Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: diamond.g

tigglepig

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
UK
And now it's live and downloading to my M1 Mac. 9.34GB download :)

Edit to say, now downloaded, runs perfectly fine and my cloud saves from the PC are available.

Last edited:
Reactions: kpluck

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process: No Man's Sky [48187]
Path: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/No Man's Sky.app/Contents/MacOS/No Man's Sky
Identifier: uk.co.hellogames.nms
Version: Version 4.25. No Man's Sky - © 2016 Hello Games Ltd. Developed by Hello Games Ltd. All rights reserved. (1)
Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2023-06-01 15:47:46.9594 -0400
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1 (22E772610a)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 87319E52-95F4-BF9E-A3F3-67978253B94D

Sleep/Wake UUID: 92BB18FE-EC22-42A3-997C-BAC68C4B74C1

Time Awake Since Boot: 520000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 3206 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 MainThrd Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
And it crashed... Was getting decent frame rates though. High settings native resolution was seeing in the upper 60's. They enable MetalFX Temporal (Quality) by default. No save syncing from what I can see thus far.

• Wow

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
And it crashed... Was getting decent frame rates though. High settings native resolution was seeing in the upper 60's. They enable MetalFX Temporal (Quality) by default. No save syncing from what I can see thus far.

Bummer. What are the specs of your Mac?

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
You must be holding doing something wrong, games on Macs are supposed to be bug free. 🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.