Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
Just sell it on eBay after 3 years and get the next thing.

I think resale of these machines will not be that high in 3 years. There's a lot of people out there that will buy an older machine, for whatever reason, and upgrade it and be fine with it. I for one just bought my wife an old white MacBook off Craigslist ($300), spent an extra $100 on 4GB RAM and an aftermarket battery. Now she has a machine that is more than capable of handling her needs and I'm not going to be hacked if she spills coffee all over it or loses it. In a couple of years when she's ready for a new one, I'll put a new battery in hers and give it to the kids. Wouldn't be able to do that with the new MBPR.

Also, remember a lot of times Apple specs say one thing about the max capacity of the RAM and then a year after the machine is released, memory manufactures come out with new sticks that surpasses Apple specs. Again, I just dropped 16GB in my MBP (early 2011) for <$100, even though Apple says it'll only handle 8GB, never mind Apple's outrageous prices on upgrades.

It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually make some of this user serviceable in future models. My 2007 MBP was not supposed to be user serviceable other than the RAM. On the current MBP the owners manual tells you how to swap out RAM and the HD, so they changed there.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
foshizzle my nizzle

Yes take note from BG gangster!

Moral of the story from Big G. If you want long life out of your $2000 + laptop you're a nerd.

Good advice from wikiwiki big Ggggggg gangster. Straight from the trailer sharing wisdom with us nerds, because it's only gangster if you don't want to upgrade your laptop and live in a trailer park.

Thanks Big G!;)

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
asymetrical fans upgrade would be a great kickstarter project! :)

Agreed!!
Maybe theres a way to take the motor and fan blade disk thing, or just the fan blade disk thing and sticking them into the fan casing from the non- retina MBP?

Quie23

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Still don't care.

I still don't care about the upgradeability, and most people don't. I'm kind of sick of this topic I bought the MacBook Pro without retina display because I don't need a better screen, I don't care for thinner and lighter, and I still use the optical drive. Plus with everything I got I was able to get a more powerful computer for 200 dollars less. I didn't get it because it's upgradable or more repairable, but with that being said I don't hate the people who choose the Retina Display. There's a Mac for everyone I chose the regular one because it suits me other people rather have the Retina, and that's cool too. Bottom line stop complaining about this no one cares people are gonna buy what they want to buy, and don't be a hater for that. The general consumer which is who they are targeting does not care so just stop it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Battery will start to be useless in 3 years, the then current Mac OS version will not run at all on the machine in 4 years and resale value will be gone in 5 years... Just sell it on eBay after 3 years and get the next thing. Costs about the same, but you'll have a more current machine that can run modern things smoothly and with full battery life.
Apple is destroying the resale value of late on the iPads and notebooks. You are also up against the refurb store. That is unless you can find a sucker 3 years down the road.

I am quoted about $400 for my Late 2007 Macbook with 4 GB of aftermarket RAM and a 320 GB drive. I think that is a joke. Once again, unless there is a sucker to buy it.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
PC tower users love to bang on about upgradeability but in actual fact what they are doing is buying a whole new computer every few years anyways.

This is how PC upgrading goes:

- Want a new processor with new architecture
- Ok so now I need a new motherboard
- Now I need faster Ram in more quantity to get the most out of my processor
- Ah damn my power supply isn't powerful enough, upgrade that too
- Hmm my Graphics card seems to be the bottleneck, I'll get a new one

The only thing a pc tower builder tends to keep is a decent case if they buy one. PC laptops have an even briefer lifespan thanks to the brisk pace of development in hardware and competition. Mac hardware develops at a much slower pace due to the absence of another vendor in the market.
Mac Pro users are still on the same motherboard and Xeon CPU family as they were in 2010. Mac tower owners may change the broom head quite often but the handle stays the same for a considerable length of time.
My Mac desktops have a frontline use of about 4 years then take an auxiliary role on my network for another 4 years. Damnit we have a G4 iMac file serving music in one location, it is 10 years old with only a RAM and Airport card added.
Good Macs take an age to die, I have a Bondi Blue iMac with a 600mhz G3 upgraded CPU, 512mb RAM and 80GB HDD still running in its original chassis but the CRT is beginning to get fuzzy and it won't run anything newer than 10.3 Panther. Still surfs and emails like a bastard though!

Last edited:

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
But not being one of those 99% I do change mine at least every year. I formed a company policy 10-15 years ago that all hard drives must be removed from mainline service each 12 months. At that time the old drive becomes the top backup drive with the old main backup drive moving down the chain & so on until all of my drives are used up.

This policy has meant that we have had zero hard drive hard crashes. SSD drives are said to have a limited life span. It needs replacement even more than a hard drive does in a high write to usage.

I've changed out optical drives for a faster drive or to make room for a 2nd hard drive or a SSD. That is not really wasted space. What we need are more options for the space that the optical drive uses. A second SATA connector would be great. Thus a second HDD plus a 3rd SSD.

Memory is usually only done once. But memory can go bad. Also from time to time more memory can be added to MacBook Pros than Apple will sell. Like I have 16 GB of ram in my last 2 17" MacBook Pros. Something that Apple would not even offer us even at their normally higher prices. The same goes for the 2 year old Mac Pros.

Company requirements means that the 15" Retina MacBook Pro is not even allowed in the group of choices. This doesn't even have anything to do with the pentalope screwdriver needed to open the case.

Hard drive makers must love you. HDs are rated to last three years...

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

IIRC thats based on a standard home-user using it for a couple of hours a day, not using them 24/7 or for regular heavy loads. 2 years is more realistic.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Apple is destroying the resale value of late on the iPads and notebooks. You are also up against the refurb store. That is unless you can find a sucker 3 years down the road.

I am quoted about $400 for my Late 2007 Macbook with 4 GB of aftermarket RAM and a 320 GB drive. I think that is a joke. Once again, unless there is a sucker to buy it.

Apple computers always hold their value, look at ebay...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I have a few hard drives already reaching 4 years old. The current home record holder is the iMac G4 from 2002.

I formed a company policy 10-15 years ago that all hard drives must be removed from mainline service each 12 months.
Crazy.

Apple computers always hold their value, look at ebay...
Suckers. I read LowEndMac and a few stores were offering my Late 2007 Macbook for....$600 the last time I checked. It is almost 5 years old now! Who buys these things at these prices?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Good luck running your laptop for 8 years. Upgrading the HDD and RAM will not make up for the fact that your fans will probably need to be replaced, your battery will be DONE and your processor will not be able to handle basic commands required.

I'm using a 6 year old MBP right now. My boss is using a 6 year old one too. We are both getting RMPBs. These computers last a very long time. One of the reason they cost so much.

----------

I have a few hard drives already reaching 4 years old. The current home record holder is the iMac G4 from 2002.

Crazy.

Suckers. I read LowEndMac and a few stores were offering my Late 2007 Macbook for....$600 the last time I checked. It is almost 5 years old now! Who buys these things at these prices?

HDs will last a long time, they are just rated for 3 years.

----------

IIRC thats based on a standard home-user using it for a couple of hours a day, not using them 24/7 or for regular heavy loads. 2 years is more realistic.

Who uses their laptop/desktop 24/7. We aren't talking servers here...

steveh

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2002
It's not that consumers don't prefer upgradable hardware, it's that Apple isn't giving them a choice and they still want the Mac. They're buying in spite of the fact that it's not upgradable , not because of it.

That must explain why the MacBook Pros outsell MacBook Airs by such a wide margin over the past few years.

Wait...

Customers do have a choice, and they're choosing light/thin/SSD over heavier/thicker/user-upgradeable.

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008

He didn't say he trashed the old drives, they just got relegated to less important machines/roles.

People that think this is crazy have never had a hard drive go out on them right before a deadline for paying work. Much easier to swap out a drive on scheduled maintenance than to have it crash when your back is already up against the wall. Maybe every 12 months is a bit early, but I understand doing it on a regular basis.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I'll just buy the specs I want up front even if its costs a bit more and don't yet require it.

Buying the specs in not the point. When I bought my late 2008 MBP 4GB RAM and a 500GB 5400RPM HDD was the top end. Now I'm running 8GB RAM and a Scorpio Black 750GB 72KRPM drive. The computer is a much faster one than I could have purchased initially.

Also I prefer WD drives rather than the Seagate ones that had so much trouble when their 72K RPM models became available on Macs. Even now, a 750GB 72KRPM drive is a $150.00 option on MBPs that come with a 500GB drive standard. Scorpio Black 750GB 72KRPM drives are all of $104.99 at New Egg! Even on the Top of the line MBP were the fast drive is $50.00 more than the 750GB 54KRPM standard one you get the New Egg on and keep the old one for an external. That's worth $60.00.

Finally since my oldie MBP has the snap out battery/HDD cover I also have a W7 drive for those rare moments and a W8 drive for when I'm in the mood for something humorous. It takes almost no time to swap them.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Well, although the savings is not giant when looking at upgradable ram (but still appreciable), you can save a LOT of money by putting in your own SSD (as opposed to buying one through Apple). That's where upgradability makes a big difference for me. And I realize that most people won't upgrade their machines. But that doesn't mean Apple should stop catering to those people. Most people don't use Logic for FCP or Aperture either. But they are still important markets to support. And here's the thing: it doesn't take much effort from Apple to make machines upgradable (for basics like ram and HD), because these components are already upgradable! I can accept why they are not upgradable in the rMBP, but I'm glad they still provide some choice by having the upgradable MBP and the non-midifiable rMBP.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Not if the maximum amount of RAM the chipset/CPU can handle is already offered. It wouldn't make sense. As an example, I have an AMD 990X chipset supporting 16GB RAM. If it would be sothered to my MB instead of in a slot, there would not be any difference. Even putting in more RAM with more capacity would result in only having 16GB addressable through chipset and CPU.

Yes, but then you always have to get the max amount of RAM or risk getting too little and being stuck. Also, what if I don't want to pay the ripoff price Apple charges to have extra RAM installed? I could do it myself! Or what if I get too much RAM and want to sell it? Or what if I drop the computer by accident, and it gets smashed somehow, and I want to salvage the parts?

It's simply all about Apple making money. I'm not too upset, though, since I am not a laptop-buyer anyway. The only laptop I have was free, and it cost me $43 to get a new hard drive to replace the broken one.

----------

Non upgradable RMBP = guaranteed increase in Apple Care sales.

Exactly. Maybe they were sick of people upgrading the RAM after buying to avoid heightened costs. I'd rather just have insurance on my whole PC and not the RAM since RAM never really breaks anyway.

----------

That must explain why the MacBook Pros outsell MacBook Airs by such a wide margin over the past few years.

Wait...

Customers do have a choice, and they're choosing light/thin/SSD over heavier/thicker/user-upgradeable.

Soldering the RAM on does not make it thinner or lighter.

----------

Moral of the story from Big G. If you want long life out of your $2000 + laptop you're a nerd.

Good advice from wikiwiki big Ggggggg gangster. Straight from the trailer sharing wisdom with us nerds, because it's only gangster if you don't want to upgrade your laptop and live in a trailer park.

Thanks Big G!;)

I am confused. Does this mean that all my base are belong to you?

elschus

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Personally, I would like Apple to sell me a machine with zero RAM and zero storage at a lower price. They're getting better, but the BTO prices are too high. Often you need to buy a processor upgrade (which I don't want) to get more storage.

LowEnd Mac is a good source to estimate private party prices... just drop the online retailers by $100-200.

For whatever reason, people buy old Macs. This has always been the case. My dad sold our pair of Mac Pluses out of our living room in ~1996. I don't remember the value, but it was enough to make it worth the time... for an 8 year old computer. Since then, I've always sold my old Macs, and I always think 'who would want a ___ (a five flavors iMac that locks up sometimes, a Snow iMac G3, a G4 powerbook, etc.)?' but someone always does. I benefit, but I don't fully understand it.

I do get a sinking feeling that Apple is trying to shorten the obsolescence cycles. I hope that doesn't stifle the used market (that's a lot of landfill Macs), but I don't think it will. People still buy.

Aug 26, 2008
For me, it's not so much the size and weight savings-- I was set on a 17" MBP before Apple axed it. It's the Retina display, standard SSD, low(er) glare display, and reasonably good value that sold me.

And yes, for what you're getting, it _is_ good value. Try spec'ing out a regular 15" MBP on Apple's site to match the specs of the rMBP and look at the price difference.

You don't compare Apple products to other Apple products to determine "good value".

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Shouldn't the high-end pro-model of the MacBook Pro have upgradeable RAM? The cheaper one has it. Is this like a cheap hotel vs expensive hotel where the expensive one expects you to spend money while the cheap one has free wifi and stuff?

No. The cheaper one has non-upgradeable RAM, and the more expensive one is upgradeable. Have a good look at the price of MBPR and MBP. And when you compare them, compare them with identical RAM and identical SSD, and you will see that the MBP is actually several hundred dollars more expensive. The reason why you _think_ it is cheaper is because you can buy it with very little RAM and with a cheap spinning hard drive.

Beats me. These people should check out the price for a refurbished MBA first.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
No. The cheaper one has non-upgradeable RAM, and the more expensive one is upgradeable. Have a good look at the price of MBPR and MBP. And when you compare them, compare them with identical RAM and identical SSD, and you will see that the MBP is actually several hundred dollars more expensive. The reason why you _think_ it is cheaper is because you can buy it with very little RAM and with a cheap spinning hard drive.

The MBPR may be a better deal if you consider the specs, but it is still more expensive than those low-end MBPs that also have upgradeable RAM. The MBPR is the high-end model regardless of how good of a deal it is.

Also, if what you say is true, there is no point in buying a high-end MBP non-retina unless you just really badly want an ethernet port, right? They need to upgrade the MBP non-retinas or lower the price.

And I think the lack of wired ethernet on the MBPR is ridiculous. What about all those users who want fast networking and/or don't have good wifi in their house? Wifi is much slower in my room than wired ethernet is due to the wired mesh in the walls.

Bigskygangsta

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Southeast Trailer Park

Thanks Big G!;)

I've been bass fishing all day long and I'm typing this with worm guts still all over my hands. I'm sunburned and still about half drunk, but I had to go ahead and reply now....

Get a job nerd and just upgrade every two years like my cousin does up in the city!!!! FYI... my old lady is pissed too. She called me out on the John boat just to tell me what you wrote.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009

Buy a 15" MBP for £1500, base spec, swap in 16 GB of RAM for £75 and a 256 GB SSD for £160 makes a topped up MBP for £1735, buy the same spec RetinaMBP (with an external Superdrive and ethernet adapter to make it even) and you have £2049, so the Retina screen costs you £314 extra. Provided you know how to use a tiny philips screw driver and follow Youtube instructions.
But hey, only us geeks would think of opening a laptop up to change the internals. :D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMSA16GX3M2A1333C9-Memory-1333MHz-So-Dimm/dp/B006ON5KZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340231288&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT256M4SSD2-256GB-M4-SSD/dp/B004W2JL2A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340230784&sr=8-2

If you were REALLY geeky you could sell the 8 GB RAM on eBay for £30 and the 750Gb HDD for £30 and clip your MBP down to £1675, price difference now £374 in the upgradable version's favour, that is 22% cheaper. :eek:

Doing the same trick with the top end CPU versions we have an upgradeable MBP for £2039 + £75 RAM and £334 for a 512 MB SSD = £2448 - £60 selling crap = £2388

[URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT512M4SSD2-512GB-M4-SSD/dp/B004W2JL3Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340235146&sr=8-3"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT512M4SSD2-512GB-M4-SSD/dp/B004W2JL3Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340235146&sr=8-3
[/URL]
RetinaMBP top spec with Superdrive and Ethernet = £2789 (the screwdriver friendly version saves about 17%)

So £401 cheaper on that upgradeable one too. Apple's Retina screen premium cost is about £400 and having to send the whole thing to them if the RAM or SSD fails. But hey, the Retina looks like Victoria Beckham could carry it around for a few more hours if she didn't have a flunky to do it for her. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.