Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FCDP

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Ok, so I received mine today, and I've taken a few shots with the case.

The case itself is quite nice, and the latch actually folds around from front to back. This will make sense a bit more later:

noreve001.jpg

noreve002.jpg

All ports and buttons are easily accessible:

noreve003.jpg

noreve004.jpg

Here's where it gets a bit odd. To use it standing up, you have to flip the latch backwards, like seen in the second shot below. It works, but the stability is quite poor. It took several attempts to even it get it standing without falling over towards the back. Anyone else get this working properly?

noreve005.jpg

noreve006.jpg

When laying down, it does give an incline to type on, but the fold between the iPads angled surface, and the vertical surface holding it up is nowhere near as firm as displayed on their site:

noreve007.jpg

I also tested the case with the Camera Connection Kit. The SD connector works, however the USB one does not:

noreve008.jpg

noreve009.jpg

I hope this helps out those who were curious about this case. If you need more info, or a shot of something specific, just ask! :)

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Thanks for posting pictures so quickly! The workmanship looks excellent, what are you impressions of the construction quality and materials used?

The stability of the viewing stand is a disappointment, do you get any sense that the folds in the leather are a bit stiff, preventing it from resting completely flat? If so, maybe that would improve as the case is broken in a little.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
I hope this helps out those who were curious about this case. If you need more info, or a shot of something specific, just ask! :)

Could you post pictures of the magnetic clasp, both connecting sides of the latch and case.

G.O.B

macrumors member
May 15, 2010
Thanks for posting the pictures FCDP, saves me taking any. As I posted earlier, I had the same difficulty as you in getting it to work upright in a landscape orientation. Like you, I had to fold the magnetic closure back and round and position it so that the left hand side of the case rests against the piece of leather on the back which holds the magnetic closure (if you know what I mean).

It's a little clumsy, but it works well enough if I'm just watching movies or whatever.

Overall, though, I'm very happy with the case. It looks and feels great, I'm more happy with the incline position than you, and it just about functions as a landscape upright stand. Plus the left hand side of the open case (with room for notes, cards etc.) will prove useful.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Thanks for posting the pictures FCDP, saves me taking any. As I posted earlier, I had the same difficulty as you in getting it to work upright in a landscape orientation. Like you, I had to fold the magnetic closure back and round and position it so that the left hand side of the case rests against the piece of leather on the back which holds the magnetic closure (if you know what I mean).

It's a little clumsy, but it works well enough if I'm just watching movies or whatever.

Overall, though, I'm very happy with the case. It looks and feels great, I'm more happy with the incline position than you, and it just about functions as a landscape upright stand. Plus the left hand side of the open case (with room for notes, cards etc.) will prove useful.

Would this case work in the standing mode if I used it in a presentation where I had to tap the pad to advance to the next slide? In other words, would it fall over? That would be embarrassing. :rolleyes:

Ral67

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
thanks very much for the pics

can you compare it to the Apple case in terms of functionality, stability and weight / bulk ?

FCDP

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for posting pictures so quickly! The workmanship looks excellent, what are you impressions of the construction quality and materials used?

The stability of the viewing stand is a disappointment, do you get any sense that the folds in the leather are a bit stiff, preventing it from resting completely flat? If so, maybe that would improve as the case is broken in a little.

I'd say the quality is pretty solid, and I'm quite happy with the case. The vertical viewing issues appear to be from a design flaw, or at least it doesn't function as well as it should. As for the laid down position, as I posted in the images before, it doesn't appear to sit at as good of an incline as the images on the Noreve website.

Could you post pictures of the magnetic clasp, both connecting sides of the latch and case.

I'm hoping this was what you were asking for?

noreve011.jpg

Like you, I had to fold the magnetic closure back and round and position it so that the left hand side of the case rests against the piece of leather on the back which holds the magnetic closure (if you know what I mean).

Yeah, that appears to be the only way to get it standing upright. The issue I see here, is that it's less about the magnetic latch being closed, and more about the clip resting on the flaps edge, just barley holding it up. I'd imagine this would wear out quickly:

noreve010.jpg

Would this case work in the standing mode if I used it in a presentation where I had to tap the pad to advance to the next slide? In other words, would it fall over? That would be embarrassing. :rolleyes:

It does hold up, but I could see it falling back if too much pressure was used on the screen. Again, I'm not sure if it's a design flaw, or if we're doing something wrong, but there doesn't appear to be any other way to get it standing upright.

thanks very much for the pics

can you compare it to the Apple case in terms of functionality, stability and weight / bulk ?

I don't have the official Apple case, but I did take this bottom profile image of the case with the latch closed:

noreve012.jpg

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
When laying down, it does give an incline to type on, but the fold between the iPads angled surface, and the vertical surface holding it up is nowhere near as firm as displayed on their site:

noreve007.jpg

ya, compared to this image taken from the Noreve website it sags noticable near the spine which reduces the angle:

noreve_typing.jpg

I think they should have made the spine area at least an inch thicker to increase the typing angle, that might also make it more sturdy when used as an upright stand.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I can't decide whether to pull the trigger yet on this case. This is THE case I've been waiting for. The price is a negative but I'm willing to pay if the functionality is all there. But for $80 you'd think the thing would stand up correctly. :rolleyes:

Problem is I don't see any other cases coming out like this one. Maybe the Owl case.....

jeremy3721

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I really like the case. I just wish they would have made the cover thinner. The cover itself looks like it ads the majority Of e extra bulk. Personally I just want a piece of pastic covered tightly with leather as my cover. Low profile and solid.

I love there is no ugly bezel covering flaps holding in the iPad though. I'll probably buy it jut for that reason.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
I can't decide whether to pull the trigger yet on this case. This is THE case I've been waiting for. The price is a negative but I'm willing to pay if the functionality is all there. But for $80 you'd think the thing would stand up correctly. :rolleyes:

Problem is I don't see any other cases coming out like this one. Maybe the Owl case.....

Yoobao has a case that's very similar:

http://yoobao.en.alibaba.com/produc...k_Leather_Case_Folio_Book_For_Apple_iPad.html

I haven't seen any reviews on it though, it's mostly this other Yoobao case people are talking about:

http://yoobao.en.alibaba.com/produc...w_Leather_Case_Folio_Book_For_Apple_iPad.html

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I love there is no ugly bezel covering flaps holding in the iPad though. I'll probably buy it jut for that reason.

I agree. I haven't seen another case like this that doesn't cover the whole front perimeter of the iPad.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Whoa! Me Like! I don't like the other version though because the front is covered. I'll have to find some reviews.......

I didn't like that it's a synthetic leather but people seem to be pretty happy with the quality of the material on the other Yoobao case. Also, they don't show it being used as an upright stand so it may not work at all for movie viewing, picture frame, etc.

iPad77

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
I agree. I haven't seen another case like this that doesn't cover the whole front perimeter of the iPad.

me too! except for the vaja leather agenda, which im leaning more towards now being disappointed by the noreve's standing problem, the price is ridiculous tho, also i'd have to wait even longer:(

iPad77

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
4 questions

Here's where it gets a bit odd. To use it standing up, you have to flip the latch backwards, like seen in the second shot below. It works, but the stability is quite poor. It took several attempts to even it get it standing without falling over towards the back. Anyone else get this working properly?

noreve005.jpg

noreve006.jpg

I also tested the case with the Camera Connection Kit. The SD connector works, however the USB one does not:

noreve008.jpg

noreve009.jpg

1.How hard/soft is the leather on the latch? Did you have to sorta force is into the form for the first a few times or it just bended easily?

2."It took several attempts to even it get it standing without falling over towards the back." Did that get better over time (as the leather "remembers" the form")? Or its been a hassle every time so far?

3.The usb connector doesn't work cuz its thicker n the case gets in the way on the back side?

4.Have you tried any compass app with the case on? Did the magnet interfere with it?

Thankyou for the review, finally see the actual product, very very help for my decision making, thanks!

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I didn't like that it's a synthetic leather but people seem to be pretty happy with the quality of the material on the other Yoobao case. Also, they don't show it being used as an upright stand so it may not work at all for movie viewing, picture frame, etc.

Oh, crap. I need it to stand....

FCDP

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
1.How hard/soft is the leather on the latch? Did you have to sorta force is into the form for the first a few times or it just bended easily?

The leather latch is actually quite soft, and easy to bend. It's clear it has to be soft in order to wrap around to the back when the case is closed.

2."It took several attempts to even it get it standing without falling over towards the back." Did that get better over time (as the leather "remembers" the form")? Or its been a hassle every time so far?

I think this may be the result of it being a new case. It's become easier to setup upright over time, but I'm unsure of how reliable it is. The latch that has been curled back is essentially resting on its origin on the edge of the front flap. It's shown best in this image:

noreve010.jpg

You can see the end of the leather latch is resting on the small lip of the front flap. That small lip that the latch is resting on is the only thing holding the iPad upright.

3.The usb connector doesn't work cuz its thicker n the case gets in the way on the back side?

Yes, the USB Camera Connector is thicker, and is blocked by the case from being inserted fully. The SD card reader does fit, though it's a tight fit.

4.Have you tried any compass app with the case on? Did the magnet interfere with it?

I can't help you there, I have a WiFi model. Sorry!

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
If one of you guys that has received this case could post a video that would be really appreciated. :)

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Here's a similar product that also be used as a stand (but not a typing stand). It's even full grain leather. Have to wonder how easily it might slide and collapse on a smooth surface though.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_36/products_id/1366

The owl wallet lite looks pretty good: http://www.happyowlstudio.com/the-wallet-lite.html

Here's the response I got when I asked about it being able to stand:

It is nice and sturdy when standing up for video and slideshow viewing. On The Wallet and The Clutch models, there is a strap that connects the two sides providing extra stability, but it does a great job on the Wallet Lite too because of the way the case is designed and the material it is made of. Thanks for your interest!

Think Happy,

SpinDrift

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007

But then they tell you to use a rock or sunglasses as a prop when typing?!:eek: Will the cover your sunglasses for damages in their warranty?! I can't see that advice lasting long!

[Edit] - After looking again at their 'rock or something' rational, I see the funny side of where it originates. However, it's still an appalling idea and the sunglasses recommendation is bound end in tears.

iPad77

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
Thank you a lot for answering those four questions!

Just thought about something else, do you think the pockets on the cover side are roomy n deep enough for passports n boarding cards?

I'm pretty sure I'll be using my iPad in airports. This may just compensate for the poor stand mode for me.

jeremy3721

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
EDIT:

I think my original thread was a little too dramatic. Noreve replied to my email and has promised to make things right. I also put a non slip bad behind the iPad and it it's tight as a glove now with no slipping. Now that I know the rails are made of metal I can probably put some pressure on them and tighten things up. I assumed they were plastic and didn't think that would be possible.

Anyway, I'm going to delete the youtube video because it sounds like my issue is a isolated incident and I don't want to deter anyone from buying a great case based on my 1 experience, especially after receiving good customer service.

Super DISAPPOINTED and here's why:

---Removed

I love the design of the case and the quality of materials but it slips out a good inch or two when the case is held upside down. The top of the iPad is already exposed a little because of the design but having it slide out via gravity is a deal breaker. Maybe mine is defective? A case is no good to me if I risk losing my iPad if I bend down to pick something up or accidentally hold it upside down. It's a case, not a pouch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.