Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icewind

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Scotland
So...

Are you guys who have the newer model of this case quite happy with it in the following departments:

1) Looks
2) Typing Position
3) Landscape Vertical Position
4) WiFi and 3G reception

I've read this entire thread (phew) and am really tempted to order one up.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Are you guys who have the newer model of this case quite happy with it in the following departments:

1) Looks
2) Typing Position
3) Landscape Vertical Position
4) WiFi and 3G reception

I've read this entire thread (phew) and am really tempted to order one up.

OK, here are my replies.
1. Looks: Impressive. Better in real life than in the photos, and the photos were not that bad. I also have the Apple case (utilitarian but not bad) and the Dodocase (nice retro appearance). This seems thinner than the Dodo. Could live without the inner cover card slots, but the leather is so thin the effect on bulk is minimal. I went with the Sandy Vintage Suede since I have a couple of black cases. Really nice!

The iPad is so elegant, I personally do not like cases that cover the bezel. The leather-coated aluminum rails of this case are secure, but really unobtrusive.

2. Typing position: IMHO this is not great, but I never use it anyway. Kind of a shallow angle for typing. Not bad if you just want an elevated angle for viewing, however.

3. Landscape: Just about perfect, and one of the main reasons I ordered the case. The stand on the back is very thin so as not to add much in thickness, but very sturdy! They countersank the snaps that hold it in place too, which was an elegant touch.

4. 3G: I can't pick up any effect anywhere on either Wifi or 3G.

PS: I had just super customer service during the order. No problems, but quick email replies, status reports, and very fast shipping.

Icewind

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Scotland
Thanks Jon,

I am definitley in the same boat as you. The iPad is gorgeous and I personally don't like anything covering the bezel. I think the new Noreve case is the nicest looking case I have seen to date. I'm hovering over the "Buy" button lol.

Also... did you notice that Noreve have added your review post to their website.. right under the photos of the case?

EDIT: Ah bugger it... I just took the plunge and ordered up a Tradition case (Black). That promotion code still works too.. Saved me £5 on the order (generationmp3).

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Thanks Jon,

I am definitley in the same boat as you. The iPad is gorgeous and I personally don't like anything covering the bezel. I think the new Noreve case is the nicest looking case I have seen to date. I'm hovering over the "Buy" button lol.

Also... did you notice that Noreve have added your review post to their website.. right under the photos of the case?

EDIT: Ah bugger it... I just took the plunge and ordered up a Tradition case (Black). That promotion code still works too.. Saved me £5 on the order (generationmp3).

Hope you like it (of course now I feel responsible, but others have had positive comments too;)). They were also nice enough to ask me for permission to quote.

One of the nicest surprises for me was how the cover folds very nicely all the way behind the case when you wish. Not all cases do this.

AM94

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
England
Has anyone had any issues with the stitching on the credit/business card pockets scratching the iPad screen? I don't like screen protectors and therefore, the downside of the Noreve case is the junk they've stitched to the interior cover - I just see this as another way to potentially damage the screen.

Views? Paranoid :D or justified?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Paranoid. :D

I've had a Noreve cover with the same useless annoying pockets on my Kindle for over a year. They've never scratched the glass screen, the plastic housing, or even the decorative skin I have on the device. This experience makes it hard for me to believe they'd scratch the screen of an iPad.

I hate the pockets. They're ugly, they add an ounce or so to the overall weight, and they're pretty useless for more than a single sheet of paper, because once filled, they'll cause your cover to bulge out a bit. But I can't say they're really a problem as far as scratching goes.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Has anyone had any issues with the stitching on the credit/business card pockets scratching the iPad screen? I don't like screen protectors and therefore, the downside of the Noreve case is the junk they've stitched to the interior cover - I just see this as another way to potentially damage the screen.

Views? Paranoid :D or justified?

Nah, can't imagine the fabric or stitching causing a problem. The fabric of the pockets is very smooth and surprisingly thin. I agree that they are superfluous, however. I would never put cards or paper in them anyway, as paper does typically have junk in it that can scratch glass.

FYI, I don't use a screen protector either, and have not had a problem so far. One other plus of the Noreve is that the stand is on the back so things it might pick up off the table will not contact the screen when the case is closed again.

jimrhit

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Hi Jeremy,

I'll buy your case. I can't PM on here. Please email me at jim walter @ gmail dot com ... remove spaced and replace the dot.

Thanks
Jim

7racer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
I have two to sell in vintage black. One, the original style, the second with the kickstand.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I like the case but I think it needs little improvements. The leather is a good quality though.
That's weird, just noticed they put my review link on their site as well while saying it's the first gen? I think I got the current gen.

AM94

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
England
I've ordered the latest version (with rear stand) in Sandy Vintage.

After finding my Vaja iPhone case didn't wear well (and I am a light use users, the iPhone being used as a second phone), I couldn't bring myself to pay over 3x the amount for something I know will not look great in 12-months. At the price point of the Noreve, I'm, not fussed if I don't get on with it; at $300 for the Vaja, I'd find it much harder to overlook.

Wazzerb

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
UK
Very tempted to purchase one of these cases. My only problem is deciding upon what type of leather and colour to go with! :confused: The Sandy Vintage looks great but I'm not sure if I want to have to wax it after I buy the case to get a deeper looking tan colour.

Decisions decisions.

Wazzerb

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
UK
Finally ordered one of these cases! After much deliberation I went for Black leather rather than the Classic Vintage. Will post pictures and my thoughts on the case when it arrives.

Also, I saved £5 by using the voucher code in this thread. Almost covered shipping costs. :)

AM94

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
England
Very tempted to purchase one of these cases. My only problem is deciding upon what type of leather and colour to go with! :confused: The Sandy Vintage looks great but I'm not sure if I want to have to wax it after I buy the case to get a deeper looking tan colour.

Decisions decisions.

I'm going to let the Sandy Vintage age naturally. I have a case for my Blackberry that is a similar leather; after 3-months it aged and darkened, ending up looking very nice.

If after awhile it needs wax, I'll give that a go but I expect it will age naturally with use.

AM94

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
England
My Noreve case has arrived and it seems to have one flaw, when the pad is in the case, there isn't enough clearance to get the power cable plugged in. I can pull the case down and it will fit but this isn't ideal. Does anyone else have this issue? It seems the lip of the case is just a little to high.

SteveWTW

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
My Noreve case has arrived and it seems to have one flaw, when the pad is in the case, there isn't enough clearance to get the power cable plugged in. I can pull the case down and it will fit but this isn't ideal. Does anyone else have this issue? It seems the lip of the case is just a little to high.

I have the same problem as well. The mini Apple 30 pin connector work fine as they are thinner but it's frustrating that the did not consider this when designing the case.

AM94

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
England
Steve, it is a shame to hear your case is the same.

As someone who was looking forward to reviewing the Noreve case, I'm going to have to put that on hold. I have some other issues with the Apple iPad Tradition leather case [9102], which I have written to Noreve about.

My hope is that they will address these concerns, which will then allow me to give the case a fair review.

AM94

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
England
Noreve have responded and are changing my case.

I have explained the issues and hope the replacement is free from them. I will update this thread once I've received it.

One thing to note is that while their site quotes delivery times of 7-days, etc, the reality was that my case was delayed and took approximately 4-weeks. I don't mind waiting (and they were good enough to communicate that it was delayed) but if there is a delay, you'd like to think it would be the right quality when it arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.