Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Thanks, no regrets at all! I think it looks a ton better and the leather is even more protected now.

vynn, could you please tell me exactly what you used on your Sandy Vintage Noreve to get your end result? I love how it looks! I've spent the last hour trying to find the shoe wax that you mentioned, but I'm going around in circles.

Thank you! : )

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Design change?

A very tempting case. Looking at the web page today (July 3) it seems that the design has been changed. Note this photo:

Apple_iPad_3.jpg

I kind of like the original design that many have illustrated. This might be more stable, but adds a "bump" on the back. [unless I am way off on the model or something]

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
vynn, could you please tell me exactly what you used on your Sandy Vintage Noreve to get your end result? I love how it looks! I've spent the last hour trying to find the shoe wax that you mentioned, but I'm going around in circles.

Thank you! : )

Wish I could tell you where to find it but what I have came with a pair of shoes I bought at least 10 years ago. I'm sure there are a lot of similar shoe wax products made for nubuck leather.

Here's what it looks like:

hj1.jpg

hj2.jpg

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Wish I could tell you where to find it but what I have came with a pair of shoes I bought at least 10 years ago. I'm sure there are a lot of similar shoe wax products made for nubuck leather.

Here's what it looks like:

hj1.jpg

hj2.jpg

Thanks for responding, vynn. A kind person on Kindle Boards suggested Sno-Seal, so I'm going to give that a try. (It's made of beeswax. Your jar doesn't happen to list the ingredients, does it?)

I really love how your cover looks. I'd be happy if mine ended up looking half as good. Thanks for posting the pictures, because I never would've thought to attempt this otherwise. : )

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Thanks for responding, vynn. A kind person on Kindle Boards suggested Sno-Seal, so I'm going to give that a try. (It's made of beeswax. Your jar doesn't happen to list the ingredients, does it?)

I really love how your cover looks. I'd be happy if mine ended up looking half as good. Thanks for posting the pictures, because I never would've thought to attempt this otherwise. : )

Sorry, no ingredients listed at all. In a few different languages it repeats the instructions "Rub into boots and shoes using a sponge or chamois. Allow to dry for 8 hours". It also says Made in Spain.

I have quite a lot more than I'd ever use, if you want to PM your mailing address I'll send some to ya. I'm sure I can find a suitable container.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Sorry, no ingredients listed at all. In a few different languages it repeats the instructions "Rub into boots and shoes using a sponge or chamois. Allow to dry for 8 hours". It also says Made in Spain.

I have quite a lot more than I'd ever use, if you want to PM your mailing address I'll send some to ya. I'm sure I can find a suitable container.

Wow, really? If I didn't love the looks of your cover so much I wouldn't even consider it. I would really appreciate that. I don't know how to PM you though.
: (

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Wow, really? If I didn't love the looks of your cover so much I wouldn't even consider it. I would really appreciate that. I don't know how to PM you though.
: (

Go into your profile and turn Private Messaging on.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
I don't know how to do that. : ( I found something that said to allow emails from people -- is that what I was supposed to turn on? (I did.) I don't see anything about Private Messaging. I'm as close to computer-illiterate as a person can get. I'm sorry. Please don't give up on me. : (

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010

I found out why I couldn't send a PM:

Why can't I send a Private Message?
You may not be eligible to use this feature yet.

Before you can send a Private Message or email to another forum member, these conditions must apply:

You must have a post count of at least 5, as shown in your user profile.
You must have been a forum member at least one day.
The recipient must have enabled receipt of Private Messages or email in their User Options. The options are named Enable Private Messaging and Receive Email from Other Members.
The first two eligibility requirements are necessary to prevent spammers, advertisers, or "bots" from joining MacRumors merely to send spam by Private Message. They are a slight inconvenience for new members but are for the benefit of all members. The third requirement is a matter of personal privacy. If a forum member chooses not to enable receipt of Private Messages or email, the moderators will not send them a message on your behalf. However, members should enable receipt of Private Messages when posting in the Marketplace forum.

This will be my fifth post, so I should be able to send one now.

Edited to add: That did the trick. Sent you a PM. Thanks for your patience. : )

kensteve

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Ipad Case Noreve

This case is NO good it has 2 powerful Magnets to hold it in an upright postion. But what they do is wipe the ipads hard drive (ram). have had 2 new ipads before i worked it out. Have emailed the company but NO reply. So Not a good buy.

ps. Maybe that is why there now seems to be a different design on there web site 3rd July

They have not answered any of my Emails and they do not seem to have a telephone contact number

Please be warned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gbrm

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Btw, thanks for this topic on this forum, I got to learn more about the case and make an informed decision. However, I'd have to agree with your views on this firm. Sadly, I bought a couple of these cases, and struggling to communicate with them to get them sorted. Their response is a standard one or two sentences, off-topic to the question raised in the email, and and often comes across pretty rude. For a company that states customer satisfaction and attention to detail are its huge strengths, it is always found to be wanting, based on my personal experience.

Colophon

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Noreve have just sent me new cases, yes two!!!!!

You might remember my white case that was, shall we say, not that good. Pictures on earlier page. :confused:

Well I contacted Noreve and sent them photos of the case that I had received with all it's faults. They said they would replace the case ASAP. I said "well to be honest this design isn't doing what it should, i.e. letting me look at my iPad in the vertical position, can I have another case instead, the iPad Sleeve in Red. They replied "that would be fine but the red would be made to order and could take 15 working days to arrive". I said "sounds great".

To be honest I didn't think the case would arrive and if it did, same old thing.

Then today a parcel, well, 2 actually :eek:

There to my delight and shock two Noreve boxes, a White Traditional with the new stand and the Red Sleeve.:D

My hat goes off to Noreve, they have done what they said and more, got me two really nice cases for my iPad without any hassle and always with short but polite emails. No sending the old case back the pictures were enough to prompt them to act.

I'll get some images up later (if anyone would like to see) and yes the new stand does work very well. Also the quality of the white case is much better and the red sleeve looks totally sweet, very nice.

:D

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
You might remember my white case that was, shall we say, not that good. Pictures on earlier page. :confused:

Well I contacted Noreve and sent them photos of the case that I had received with all it's faults. They said they would replace the case ASAP. I said "well to be honest this design isn't doing what it should, i.e. letting me look at my iPad in the vertical position, can I have another case instead, the iPad Sleeve in Red. They replied "that would be fine but the red would be made to order and could take 15 working days to arrive". I said "sounds great".

To be honest I didn't think the case would arrive and if it did, same old thing.

Then today a parcel, well, 2 actually :eek:

There to my delight and shock two Noreve boxes, a White Traditional with the new stand and the Red Sleeve.:D

My hat goes off to Noreve, they have done what they said and more, got me two really nice cases for my iPad without any hassle and always with short but polite emails. No sending the old case back the pictures were enough to prompt them to act.

I'll get some images up later (if anyone would like to see) and yes the new stand does work very well. Also the quality of the white case is much better and the red sleeve looks totally sweet, very nice.

:D

Wow, great! How do you like the new stand design? Thanks!

Colophon

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Red Sleeve and Traditional in White

Here are the two cases that Noreve kindly sent out to me due to the faults with the one case that I recieved last month.

IMG_3471.JPG

Yes two boxes, I can't believe they sent me two replacments, you have to give it to them!!

IMG_3472.JPG

Nice red sleeve, real slim,

IMG_3473.JPG

Very nice quality leather, and a good colour, deep red.

IMG_3474.JPG

Larger than normal Noreve badge:eek:, looks good,

IMG_3475.JPG

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3477.JPG

With Ipad inside the overall thinckness is very slim, nice for taking the pad from place to place when you just want to use the device as Steve wanted it, naked!

IMG_3478.JPG

Leather is very nice quality, I have no problem with the inside of the case rubbing the back of the iPad, soft and smooth. Overall a very nice sleeve, just what you want from Noreve, feels like the quality I remebered. Stitching is even and well cornered, nice finish.

White case next because only give me 20 images

Colophon

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
White case review, nice

And onto the White case that I didn't expect to get :eek:

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

The feel of the leather is different, a higher grade I would imagine, less limp, lol.

IMG_3483.JPG

The new hindge, is a good design for what I want, much, much better than before.

IMG_3484.JPG

Dosn't add much thickness at all to the overall design.

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

The inside of the case is now much better quality, partly to do with the new stand no requring those magnets inside the back of the case. I know the iPad will hide this but still it feel more solid than before.

IMG_3486.JPG

All the joins are now finished properly, no glue showing like before, nice!

IMG_3488.JPG

On to the stand, most of you would like to know about this part as it is the purpose of the case. Well, it works very well, this thing isn't going anywhere.

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3500.JPG

Very strong fabric keeps things in order, feels totally solid when upright, perfect angle, very simple design, that's what it needed.

Little sunken studs hold the stand in place very firmly, this will not open unless you want it to.

IMG_3495.JPG

Feels a lot better in the type posstion, quite low but a good table angle and solid feel. Somthing has changed here to make this, I think it might be thicker leather.

IMG_3501.JPG

Not that thick either, feels nice size for a case. When holding like a book with the front around the back it sits nicley in the hand.

IMG_3503.JPG

Finaly no sliping out of the case, good firm hold.:D

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for the pics and new review, Colophon! Just might have to cave and go with either the Platinum or another Sandy Vintage to match my Kindle!

Quick questions for you: in typing position, is there anything actually holding the Noreve in that position (clasp, magnets, magic? LOL) In other words, if I pick it up while in typing position, does it hold that pose, or does the front cover flop back down? And is there any flexibility in that position that would allow you to move the leather hinge to fit beneath the iPad, thus raising the angle?

Also, any idea on the actual weight? My Noreve for the Kindle is comparatively light, but not so light I can't feel it if I've been holding it for a while.

Colophon

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
No clasp for front cover in Keyboard mode

Thanks for the pics and new review, Colophon! Just might have to cave and go with either the Platinum or another Sandy Vintage to match my Kindle!

Quick questions for you: in typing position, is there anything actually holding the Noreve in that position (clasp, magnets, magic? LOL) In other words, if I pick it up while in typing position, does it hold that pose, or does the front cover flop back down? And is there any flexibility in that position that would allow you to move the leather hinge to fit beneath the iPad, thus raising the angle?

Also, any idea on the actual weight? My Noreve for the Kindle is comparatively light, but not so light I can't feel it if I've been holding it for a while.

Hi,

When in keyboard mode there is no clasp holding the cover to the backing, well not in a fixed fashion. If you hold the whole thing it can be picked up and moved without re-seting anything when placed back down. The angle you see is the angle you get really it can't be adjusted, comfortable position though.

Weight, well, it's got weight but not to much to make you think 'god this things heavy'. You wouldn't want to hold it in one hand for hours, saying that the iPad itself isn't the lightest thing.

The shipping weight of the 2 cases was 0.2kg and the red sleeve is very light.

Hope this helps a little.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
This case is NO good it has 2 powerful Magnets to hold it in an upright postion. But what they do is wipe the ipads hard drive (ram). have had 2 new ipads before i worked it out. Have emailed the company but NO reply. So Not a good buy.

ps. Maybe that is why there now seems to be a different design on there web site 3rd July

They have not answered any of my Emails and they do not seem to have a telephone contact number

Please be warned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not true, the one adverse effect the magnets could have is compass interference but other than that, you're spreading false information.

sueUK

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Vintage Passion Case - almost perfect, but not quite

I received my vintage passion traditional case last week, and I have not had any of the problems mentioned - my case holds the IPAD really firmly, the magnets cause no problem, my wifi and 3G signal are as strong in the case as they are out of it, and the landscape typing position is firm and just right. Before you all think its perfect, there's just one (major) thing I am disappointed with...the colour. On Noreve's website the vintage passion is a lovely deep burgundy red - mine is a sort of insipid pink!

I did email Noreve, and they told me that the colour would darken as I used it. Not good enough - if I'd wanted pink, I'd have ordered a pink one! I would love to do what vynn did with the sandy vintage case, but cannot find a suitable product in the UK - they all say not to use on nubuck or suede. I have tried a couple of nubuck conditioners, but they simply dry back to the same colour.

So, if anyone has some bright ideas on how to darken a grotty pink case, I would be most grateful :rolleyes:

kensteve

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Not true, the one adverse effect the magnets could have is compass interference but other than that, you're spreading false information.
My Ipad is a 64gb 3g
Maybe it only upsets certain models ???

The Magnets are so strong they upset the ram chips.

If this is not the case, Why have they changed the Design of the case. and the are no strong magnets anymore only the clasp one.
Noreve have Replaced the old one. with the new design.

Please DO NOT Comments about things being False.

When it has been proven that the MAGNETS DAMAGE THE IPAD

IF YOU HAVE AN IPAD AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT DAMAGED BY THIS CASE PLEASE LET ME HAVE YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL POST IT TO YOU SO YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR IPAD :)
Apple have replaced my ipad twice before we worked out the problem.

jeremy3721

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
My Ipad is a 64gb 3g

If this is not the case, Why have they changed the Design of the case. and the are no strong magnets anymore only the clasp one.

IF YOU HAVE AN IPAD AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT DAMAGED BY THIS CASE PLEASE LET ME HAVE YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL POST IT TO YOU SO YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR IPAD :)

Sorry, what did I miss? What kind of damage took place. Is it permanant damage?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
My Noreve iPad Tradition arrived today!

Just adding a few comments to this useful thread. My Noreve arrived today. I went Sandy Vintage leather, and am very happy with the results. Just a few extra comments since several of you have added very nice, extensive reviews:
1. Less bulky than I had expected! The leather is very nice and thin.
2. Cover folds flat behind when wanted. This is great, as I often fold back for reading.
3. Really like the leather covered rail system. Mine is perfectly snug without being excessive.
4. As other have mentioned, the stand in horizontal mode (e.g. sitting on a long flight watching movies) is really nice. The flip-out leather stand on the back (again, very thin but seems strong) works great. I doubt that I will use the typing elevation much, as I never use it on any other cases either.
5. "Sandy Vintage" If you like suede in general, you should like this. Photos don't do it justice. I have a black case or two, so wanted something different.

As others have mentioned, I would prefer not to have the card slots, etc. However, they too are of thinner leather than you might expect, so add very little to the thickness.

Also a note on customer service. My emails were replied to immediately, and the production and shipping went very fast. Very impressed, actually!

PS: Colophon--wow, looks great in white!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
My Ipad is a 64gb 3g

Do yourself a favor and stop using caps.. Like you said if anything does go wrong, Apple will replace your iPad. I myself don't think that magnet will damage anything..

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
My Ipad is a 64gb 3g

Cases with magnets have been used in iPhone cases for years and haven't been known to cause probems with RAM, 3G or wifi. I've been using the Noreve case for weeks with absolutely no problems. Where are these proven facts you're referring to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.