Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Just received my case today in sandy vintage. I'll post some pictures a little later but it's looking very good, I'm very happy with the fit and finish.

For anyone worried about stability as a stand, it's not an issue at all and I find it plenty sturdy for viewing and interacting with the screen. Once it's in the correct position, I can nudge the case toward the back or front to make it wobble and it won't fall over. I may post a video as well actually.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Sorry for the delay but I'm finally posting some details about this product with the "Sandy Vintage" style leather.

Please note: This product is suede so when I received the case it was originally a much lighter color and "fuzzier". If you haven't touched suede, what I mean by fuzzy is that you can actually draw patterns in the soft surface of the leather by simply running your finger across it in different directions. Unfortunately I don't have a picture but here's an image of the "Sandy Vintage" Noreve case made for the Kindle which is exactly how the leather originally looked:​

3638727837_73999bd3e5.jpg

I was initially disappointed that this case didn't look like the "Sandy Vintage" leather seen with other Noreve products, for example:

case2.jpg

I decided to treat the leather with a shoe wax product made for Havana Joe leather shoes which are from a nubuck leather, they call it a "greasy napa" finish. With that said, here's what the case looks like today:

noreve1.jpg

noreve2.jpg

noreve3.jpg

noreve4.jpg

noreve5.jpg

noreve6.jpg

noreve7.jpg

a0911091837

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
I bought from this UK EBAY seller and receive next day, much quicker than Noreve's webstore.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mac4u-co-uk

Chestnut is amazing! I will post some pictures for you guys!:D

Some photos as promise. This is chestnut colour, I bought this from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mac4u-co-uk This is UK base seller which is much faster and bit cheaper than noreve as well.

4728714362_bc8ac0573d_b.jpg

4728714984_2818d95cce_b.jpg

4728069107_6cb009a886_b.jpg

4728070181_d6a8f14e72_b.jpg

4728071127_f4aff1d956_b.jpg

4728719336_9c7f940bce_b.jpg

4728072517_24b261aecc_b.jpg

4728073237_877beb033f_b.jpg

Don't use the cheap screen protector... Otherwise it looks like this! I am waiting for the PowerSupport to come!

4728074543_6cef25d2f2_b.jpg

4728722496_d40ef06e2a_b.jpg

4728723460_4cdfac14ee_b.jpg

4728725230_b81847951b_b.jpg

7racer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
I got the Dark Vintage delivered today....not sure I really like it.

The leather is nice but the fit on the bottom right isn't great. You can see the same gap in the photos of the white one.

I also don't like the card holder etc. things. Wish they had an option to leave those out as it leave a bit of bulk.

But the biggest thing is that its kinda low in typing mode. I use the iPad in this way the most and the apple case works great. The noreve is just low and I can't seem to get it to an higher angle.

I also was able to get it in landscape mode but its less stable than the Apple case. I might give the Macnally a try...

Anyone other owners feel the same or have tips for getting a better typing position with it?

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
I have the same complains about the typing angle and the card slots, in fact those are probably only 2 real complaints about the case.

I noticed in the pictures of the Chestnut version (Ambition Selection) the leather appears to be slightly thicker, making the case sag less when in the typing position so the angle is a bit better.

jeremy3721

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I'd also like to remove the card slots on this inside cover. I've come close to taking them out with a razor blade a couple of times but couldn't bring myself to do it since I paid so much for the case.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'd also like to remove the card slots on this inside cover. I've come close to taking them out with a razor blade a couple of times but couldn't bring myself to do it since I paid so much for the case.

I've been threatening to do that for a year with their Kindle case. Same thing, can't bring myself to do it.

Has anyone tried tucking the hinge under the upper edge of the iPad while in typing position, since it's flexible? That's how I use the MacAlly, and it's both higher and far more stable in that position. I thought someone on another board had done it with the Noreve. I'll see if I can find a pic.

(Actually, it's in the Kindleboards link above for the dark vintage case.)

7racer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
I've been threatening to do that for a year with ...Has anyone tried tucking the hinge under the upper edge of the iPad while in typing position, since it's flexible? ...

I tried it. The hinge is a bit too small and it won't hold in that position, or at least, I can't get it to stay in that position.

tlrowley

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
I'm the one who posted the pictures of the dark vintage on Kindleboards. I did have to play with the hinge a little, but it now sits in the higher position for typing very easily. In this position it's at almost the exact height as the Apple case.

I love the was job with the Sandy Vintage. I may try that with my Dark Vintage. I'm a little disappointed that the color isn't closer to what I have in my Kindle case, but the wax might do the trick.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Have any of you guys seen the Noreve Tradition type B case? It is a No-reve case more like the Yoo-bao in design. It has no magnetic strap to close, and it has no card pockets. One bad thing is it covers the bezel, but it does offer better edge protection.

Since it doesn't have a magnetic strap so I am wondering how it fastens in position when angled?

Apple_iPad_TB_case_black.jpg

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
I love the wax job with the Sandy Vintage. I may try that with my Dark Vintage. I'm a little disappointed that the color isn't closer to what I have in my Kindle case, but the wax might do the trick.

If you do decide to apply wax you won't regret it, I think the sooner the better too since the suede may be more prone to attract other oils and dirt in it's unprotected state. It's a large enough case that certain areas/edges will be touched much more the others, causing uneven wear. The wax should provide a more even layer of protection and give the case a more consistent look.

Just make sure you use a good quality wax made for this type of leather. :)

7racer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
Have any of you guys seen the Noreve Tradition type B case? It is a No-reve case more like the Yoo-bao in design. It has no magnetic strap to close, and it has no card pockets. One bad thing is it covers the bezel, but it does offer better edge protection.

Since it doesn't have a magnetic strap so I am wondering how it fastens in position when angled?

Apple_iPad_TB_case_black.jpg

I would love that case if the part holding the iPad was the same "rails" found on this one.

I think I am going to email Noreve about returning this case, and give the power support one a go.

diand

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
3G Signal and case

First time I have posted in this forum but wanted to check something out that no one else seems to have mentioned. I have had this case for just less than a month now (red). Really like it in many ways: beautifully made and very stylish.

Two main concerns though. The first is using the case as a stand (already discussed) - it doesn't really work that well and I therefore use the case simply as that and have bought myself a different desk stand.

My biggest concern is the effect on the 3G signal. I live and work in a very strong 3G signal area. When out of the case I have all the bars showing with a full signal. When I put the iPad in the case, the signal drops almost immediately until I lose it completely. Likewise, when I then take it out of the case the signal returns. I have reached the point that when I want or need a 3G signal (having paid for it!), I have to remove the iPad from the case. I'm not sure whether this is due to the magnetic closure or the aluminium structure the iPad sits in, blocking or impairing the 3G signal? Anyone else experiencing this? If so, it is a lovely case to transport your iPad, but not one that is practical.

paulpaul

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
No 3G Reception??

I'm not sure if you can expect to use 3G with this particular case due its use of metal in the case construction. Noreve iphone cases apparently have the same problem. Check out this quote from a Noreve review:

"The magnet isn’t Tradition’s big problem: rather, the aforementioned “doozy” was Noreve’s decision to use a hard metal shell this for its rear casing. When we put the plastic-bodied iPhone 3G in Tradition, we saw reception take a one-bar and sometimes more significant hit, enough to take a marginal to good signal and make it unreliable. As literally the only flip case we’ve seen to date with metal inside, a material that Apple intentionally opted to avoid for signal strength reasons."

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/noreve-tradition-leather-case-for-iphone-3g/.

I hope others can post their experience with 3G using the Noreve case. I was planning on purchasing the Noreve because it is the only soft leather case using a rail system to hold the ipad (far superior to the typical bezel design), but the lack of 3G reception is a deal breaker. Does anyone really want to take the ipad out of the case just to use it? I hope I'm wrong about this...

thevibesman

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I'm not sure if you can expect to use 3G with this particular case due its use of metal in the case construction. Noreve iphone cases apparently have the same problem. Check out this quote from a Noreve review:

"The magnet isn’t Tradition’s big problem: rather, the aforementioned “doozy” was Noreve’s decision to use a hard metal shell this for its rear casing. When we put the plastic-bodied iPhone 3G in Tradition, we saw reception take a one-bar and sometimes more significant hit, enough to take a marginal to good signal and make it unreliable. As literally the only flip case we’ve seen to date with metal inside, a material that Apple intentionally opted to avoid for signal strength reasons."

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/noreve-tradition-leather-case-for-iphone-3g/.

I hope others can post their experience with 3G using the Noreve case. I was planning on purchasing the Noreve because it is the only soft leather case using a rail system to hold the ipad (far superior to the typical bezel design), but the lack of 3G reception is a deal breaker. Does anyone really want to take the ipad out of the case just to use it? I hope I'm wrong about this...

If you could post any experience with WiFi and this case as well that would be appreciated. I'm planning to get a WiFi only iPad next month and so far this looks like my top choice case--since some people are supposedly already experiencing some WiFi issues I thought it would be wise to check in on this.

diand

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
If you could post any experience with WiFi and this case as well that would be appreciated. I'm planning to get a WiFi only iPad next month and so far this looks like my top choice case--since some people are supposedly already experiencing some WiFi issues I thought it would be wise to check in on this.

I'm writing this on my iPad in a city centre where the 3G signal is so strong you could cut it with a knife! In the case I get nothing, as soon as I remove the iPad from the case, or indeed half remove it, I get a full signal. Really frustrating!

As for WiFi, well the iPad isn't that great with WiFi anyway is my experience, unless you are sat very close to the signal. However, that aside I've not experienced the same problems with WiFi as I do with 3G, with it picking up a signal equally strong in or out of the case. Hope that helps?

FrancisD

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
I haven't had any issues with signal for wifi or 3g. I live far out of the city and I get 2500kbps without the case, and 3000kbps with it (3g), obviously the samples will vary slightly, but it shows that they are in the same range.

paulpaul

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
3G Issues

Noreve should not have designed their cases with metal backing that covers the area receiving 3G signal (at the rear top of the ipad).

It's my understanding that the body of 3G capable ipads is identical to the Wi-Fi ipad except for a small cut-out in the back (where glass or plastic was substituted for aluminum). Apple did this specifically because the 3G signal does not easily penetrate aluminum.

Maybe Noreve changed its design because apparently some people are able to get a signal without removing their ipads from the case. Until Noreve clarifies this issue, though, people should consider this case for Wi-Fi ipads only.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
No issues at all for me on wifi (don't have a 3G model to comment on that). My wifi router is on the lower floor of my house and I get great signal anywhere in the upper floor, streams high quality Netflix, AirVideo and YouTube vids with only a few seconds of buffering.

Router is WNDR3700, using wireless G since the range on N is inherently poor.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
bulky as hell and tasteless, imho. And what I particularly dislike are the inside "pockets" for id cards, credit cards, contact cards etc., really tacky and retro (but not in an charming way). Had this been is thinner (suede) leather, and of course losing that inner flap garbage pockets, it could have been a contender, but as is I really think one ought to have very little taste to choose, and plenty of people do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.