Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I have had my iPhone X for nearly a month now and I am just not enjoying it, I feel like if i use it too much I’m going to damage it and it cost me so much money it’s like if I damage it I’ve waisted £1,149 , I’m afraid of scratching it especially the stainless steel, do you guys think I should just enjoy it and does it really matter if it gets any dents or scuffs?

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
I have had my iPhone X for nearly a month now and I am just not enjoying it, I feel like if i use it too much I’m going to damage it and it cost me so much money it’s like if I damage it I’ve waisted £1,149 , I’m afraid of scratching it especially the stainless steel, do you guys think I should just enjoy it and does it really matter if it gets any dents or scuffs?

As I've noted previously elsewhere, I dropped $3,500 on a Les Paul guitar. I've played it only once afterward I noticed a scratch on the plate. Devastated. I keep it in the guitar case. Very rarely I will put on surgical gloves and remove the guitar from the case and play in a very dark room, picking the strings very softly, and never ever playing for an extended amount of time. The guitar still looks brand new. Compared with the Edge's Les Paul:

john-lennon-j-160e-gibson-acoustic-guitar-auction-38.jpg

Not only dings and scratches from his belt buckle but the beautiful alpine white is now a creamy yellow. Disgusting.

I also own a Rolex Submariner. Dropped $7,500 for that beaut. I keep it in the original box which sits on my desk. I cannot understand how people wear their Rolex watches with scratches. I've considered using nail polish to coat the stainless steel watch or using some sort of clear tape. Maybe even glue. I must need protection on these prized material effects. Until then, they will sit in their respective boxes untouched.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
You "wasted" the money when you bought the phone. Now either sell it to recuperate some of that money or put a case on the phone and enjoy what you paid for.

I'm not saying it's a bad purchase but it seems that that kind of money was too much for you to spend on a phone.

Buying a guitar you can't play, a watch you can't wear or a phone you're afraid to use makes no sense at all.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As I've noted previously elsewhere, I dropped $3,500 on a Les Paul guitar. I've played it only once afterward I noticed a scratch on the plate. Devastated. I keep it in the guitar case. Very rarely I will put on surgical gloves and remove the guitar from the case and play in a very dark room, picking the strings very softly, and never ever playing for an extended amount of time. The guitar still looks brand new. Compared with the Edge's Les Paul:
Not only dings and scratches from his belt buckle but the beautiful alpine white is now a creamy yellow. Disgusting.

I also own a Rolex Submariner. Dropped $7,500 for that beaut. I keep it in the original box which sits on my desk. I cannot understand how people wear their Rolex watches with scratches. I've considered using nail polish to coat the stainless steel watch or using some sort of clear tape. Maybe even glue. I must need protection on these prized material effects. Until then, they will sit in their respective boxes untouched.
Think of all the music you’re not making and that Edge did. Think of all the time you’re not keeping on that beautiful watch that was meant to be worn on the wrist. That’s more disgusting than the dings on Edge’s guitar which show some history. Every scratch is a memory.

(There’s no /s tag on your post so I can’t tell if you are joking or not. I’m taking a guess that you’re serious, but it could also be read as sarcasm...hard to tell).

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
OP, at the end of the day, you just have to realize this is a $370 phone. The experience is what you pay the premium for, and right now, it is (my opinion) the best you can find in the market.

If you don’t use the phone, you’re missing out on the experience you paid a premium for

Reactions: bevsb2 and 5105973

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Buy Applecare, pop a case and screen protector on it and enjoy it like it was meant to be enjoyed.

I belong to a watch forum as well and have seen people buy the authentic watch, and a high end 1:1 replica at half the price. They put the authentic in a safe and wear the replica.

These items are meant to be used. It kills me when I get the first ding on a luxury item, but someone said it perfect, it adds to my history of that product. It’s bound to happen, surface marks do not affect performance, and you are robbing yourself of the experience you were hoping for because your too nervous to use it. I hope for you that you change your mindset, this is a great phone.

sahmraw

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
Chesterfield, UK

john-lennon-j-160e-gibson-acoustic-guitar-auction-38.jpg

Wow 11 grand just sitting there doing nothing!! You can't take it with you. Enjoy the stuff you buy.

Reactions: gpoop

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
i bought, almost 30 years ago, a Tag Heuer watch because of the beauty and the quality. Today that watch has years of wear on it. The crown has lost the ribs on the underside just riding on my wrist. The dial inside has lost most of the glow on the luminous markers. It has scratches and has been through any number of batteries. One thing I don't regret is the day to day enjoyment of wearing a watch I love and appreciate.
I treat my cell phones, currently the SE, the same way. Use what you have and enjoy the money you spent on it.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
IMHO if you are so worried about "damaging" you iPhone no matter what model then maybe you need one of those flip phones instead. I try to keep my iPhones looking as new as possible. Having said that, I have Apple Care, case and a glass screen protector. I'm not dropping a "ton" of money on a new iPhone to leave it in the box and not use it. I can totally understand the Rolex, and the Guitar thing. Those are truly collectors items. iPhones are meant to be used.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Maybe it’s just me, but I thought this was meant to be a sarcastic post, but maybe not...

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

Carry it in a man purse, in an Otterbox. That should be good to go. Don't use it while walking, and ensure that when ever you use it, there is some padding on the floor to absorb the impact if the phone ever falls off from your hands. Never use it on the road or pavement while walking. You also need to take care about atmospheric dust, which is known to cause micro scratches on the surface of the iPhone.

Using the iPhone also causes battery depletion and charging the battery will increase the number of cycles. A battery only has so much cycles it is good for, so you also need to take care about how much you use your phone. It is best to charge it to 100% and then use it just absolutely when needed so that your standby time is maximised and you may be able to go for around 4 days without charging it again. Putting the phone is airplane mode when it is not in your hands is going to help immensely. Almost all of us need to charge our phones daily because we use it a lot, and are at high risk of battery failure, as a consequence.

Use the buttons and volume controls only when absolutely required, it is good practice to find your comfortable volume once and leave it at that. Each press of the button reduces the life of the button. With Face ID, you should be able to minimise your button actuations to a large extent, so you are covered there.

I think this is about it. If you are still concerned about damaging the phone, then returning it and replacing it with a cheaper SE is going to take a lot of pressure off you and you will be able to enjoy a great phone for years to come without worrying so much. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.