Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
In a few years when the oceans have risen a couple of feet, there’s no more oil, the sun is fading, and there are food riots in the streets, your $1000 phone won’t even work, and if you can even buy one that does, it will cost 10x that.

Enjoy everything you have NOW.

Reactions: Average Pro

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have had my iPhone X for nearly a month now and I am just not enjoying it, I feel like if i use it too much I’m going to damage it and it cost me so much money it’s like if I damage it I’ve waisted £1,149 , I’m afraid of scratching it especially the stainless steel, do you guys think I should just enjoy it and does it really matter if it gets any dents or scuffs?

Sounds like your whole life is centered around your iPhone.

Get a hobby, fine a girl friend, do anything but stop living on your phone.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
As I've noted previously elsewhere, I dropped $3,500 on a Les Paul guitar. I've played it only once afterward I noticed a scratch on the plate. Devastated. I keep it in the guitar case. Very rarely I will put on surgical gloves and remove the guitar from the case and play in a very dark room, picking the strings very softly, and never ever playing for an extended amount of time. The guitar still looks brand new. Compared with the Edge's Les Paul:

john-lennon-j-160e-gibson-acoustic-guitar-auction-38.jpg

Not only dings and scratches from his belt buckle but the beautiful alpine white is now a creamy yellow. Disgusting.

I also own a Rolex Submariner. Dropped $7,500 for that beaut. I keep it in the original box which sits on my desk. I cannot understand how people wear their Rolex watches with scratches. I've considered using nail polish to coat the stainless steel watch or using some sort of clear tape. Maybe even glue. I must need protection on these prized material effects. Until then, they will sit in their respective boxes untouched.

While it’s your right to protect your prized collections, phones are meant to be USED. I’m sorry, but I don’t think your advice is good at all, here. The OP should relax and use his phone normally. Otherwise, what’s the point of buying it? It’s a premium mobile computer and a communications device (“an iPod, a Phone, an Internet Communicator” as the man once said) - not a museum piece.

Take your Les Paul for example. If you bought it as a collector’s item - taking such great care of it is fine and commendable. But you’re not exactly using it to full extent as a musician, are you? The other guitar you showed - it’s been PLAYED, man. It was used - perhaps with same love as you love taking care of yours. So, if you’re a collector - your methods are great. If you bought it for playing - not so much. Same with phones, although I don’t think the OP bought it as a collector.

Phones are meant to be used. Get a case - sure. Be careful - sure. But don’t bend your life around it, it’s meant for work and fun and that includes a scratch or two.

That’s how I see it, at least.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I can Understand when somebody purchases a really expensive iPhone, they want to give it the best protection and to avoid any type of accidental damage. But to consistently worry about it on a regular basis has to be fatiguing. I just use my iPhone every day as a tool and it's replaceable piece of tech for me on an annual basis. There's no way I have time to worry about every little hairline scratch or imperfection. Enjoy it what for it's worth.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Think of all the music you’re not making and that Edge did. Think of all the time you’re not keeping on that beautiful watch that was meant to be worn on the wrist. That’s more disgusting than the dings on Edge’s guitar which show some history. Every scratch is a memory.

(There’s no /s tag on your post so I can’t tell if you are joking or not. I’m taking a guess that you’re serious, but it could also be read as sarcasm...hard to tell).

Great response, couldn’t agree more.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Yep, two choices - return it and get a beater phone or just accept that it won't look perfect after a year. I have been in similar situations and have chosen both at some point with other objects of desire. The in between solution of having false hope it will stay pristine will only make you age faster. I've been there too.

Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Drop it on purpose - once you’ve done this you can then just enjoy it as intended.

I like brand new cars, I expect them to be perfect on collection but dings happen, once I got a stone chip on the way home in my brand new £40,000 car. Enjoy it.

KONVICTED

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Put a good protective case and screen protector on it. Although cases don't grauntee you it won't get scratches but it gives protection from accidental damages.

Reactions: 44267547

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I have had my iPhone X for nearly a month now and I am just not enjoying it, I feel like if i use it too much I’m going to damage it and it cost me so much money it’s like if I damage it I’ve waisted £1,149 , I’m afraid of scratching it especially the stainless steel, do you guys think I should just enjoy it and does it really matter if it gets any dents or scuffs?

As I've noted previously elsewhere, I dropped $3,500 on a Les Paul guitar. I've played it only once afterward I noticed a scratch on the plate. Devastated. I keep it in the guitar case. Very rarely I will put on surgical gloves and remove the guitar from the case and play in a very dark room, picking the strings very softly, and never ever playing for an extended amount of time. The guitar still looks brand new. Compared with the Edge's Les Paul:

john-lennon-j-160e-gibson-acoustic-guitar-auction-38.jpg

Not only dings and scratches from his belt buckle but the beautiful alpine white is now a creamy yellow. Disgusting.

I also own a Rolex Submariner. Dropped $7,500 for that beaut. I keep it in the original box which sits on my desk. I cannot understand how people wear their Rolex watches with scratches. I've considered using nail polish to coat the stainless steel watch or using some sort of clear tape. Maybe even glue. I must need protection on these prized material effects. Until then, they will sit in their respective boxes untouched.

Unless you bought these devices for ornamental or collector's reasons, you should be using them for their purpose. Yes they may look pretty and cost a lot of money, but ultimately, you won't be doing your purchase any justice by letting it sit there or being overly protective over it and thus ruining your enjoyment of it.

Appreciate your devices by using them for the purposes for which they have been designed and not stressing over damaging it. It also adds character and a story to your products. Life is too short, so enjoy using them.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys, I have ordered an otterbox case and tempered glass screen protector, once I receive them I’m just gonna enjoy the phone
Smash it against the wall a few times after you install glass protector and Otterbox. It will eliminate any fear that is lingering for good!

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
It's stainless steel so you can buff out the scratches. There's a whole discussion on this on Macrumors. But, really, if you're that concerned about it, you should just return it and get something cheaper. No sense in being so anxious about something that you can barely afford when there are plenty of great options (including iPhones) for much cheaper.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
If a £1149 phone intimidates you from using it, you overextended yourself by purchasing a phone you couldn’t afford. If it’s too late to return, sell it for £100 loss and get an 8+, or a more affordable phone that doesn’t me you feel like you’re walking on eggshells.

Very well said

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Thanks for the replies guys, I have ordered an otterbox case and tempered glass screen protector, once I receive them I’m just gonna enjoy the phone

I hope I don’t anger you, but I have to say that these Otterbox cases are the most ugly things you can put on your iPhone. It completely defeats the idea of caring how your iPhone looks because of a few scratches since you’re butchering its look with that monstrosity.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonybarnaby

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

This might come off a ruse so I apologize before hand. but ...

It seems to me that, maybe you are living beyond your means? If $1200 is such a great expense that you treasure your purchase too much to enjoy it... maybe you couldn't afford it. I know, you obviously paid the price and it is in your possession but it sounds like you have buyers remorse of someone who shouldn't have been spending that money.

Whats done is done... you won't be able to get your money back, and you will incur a loss if you sell it. Live and learn. Next time don't invest that kind of money in a disposable electronic device.

sbuntin

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Portland OR
the question is moot, as you’re well past the return date. If it bothered you that much, you should have asked that question in the first 14 days and returned it if necessary. Your choice is to either use it, or sell it at a loss.

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
The guy is having you all on. “Take my guitar out with surgical gloves and play it in a dark room” lmfao! Yeah, he’s basically laughing at all those people who treat their phones like new born babies.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Perhaps some counseling? its just a phone - lol... enjoy it!@!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's stainless steel so you can buff out the scratches. There's a whole discussion on this on Macrumors. But, really, if you're that concerned about it, you should just return it and get something cheaper. No sense in being so anxious about something that you can barely afford when there are plenty of great options (including iPhones) for much cheaper.

Sometimes I think others forget that the iPhone is just a piece of tech and not a relic. It's a tool that is used daily and should be used as such. As much use as an iPhone does See every day, we need to look past the little things with scratches.

Reactions: KONVICTED

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
So if you ever buy a brand new car worth more than an iPhone, you wouldn't want to drive it because you worry of dents and scratches? What do you want? A museum? Phones don't have much sentimental value to me because I can always buy another one to replace it.

Imagine your worst enemy was hanging on a cliff and you had a mint condition iPhone in the other hand. Wouldn't you rather drop the iPhone and save a person's life no matter how much you hate them? All we are is dust in the wind. Imagine what material things are? Landfill waste.

Reactions: miss.manson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.