Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by the_mole1314
Don't know what your smoking, but our Apple Store still has quite a few G4s on display.

The Apple Store at the Chestnut Hill Mall also still has some Power Macs on display.

I will definitely put this date on my calendar. Sounds like a great day to officially open to Christmas season. Look forward to see what the specials they will offer.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by jcook793
Personally I'd like to see the long-rumored revision on the Cinema Displays. But that's just me.

I, too, am waiting for this. I am holding on purchasing two 20" Cinemas for this reason - there are rumors that something new on this front will come this month (november).

blakespot

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
Re: Nov 28th Apple Store Event?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Apple is rumored to make a significant announcement over the next week and host a Music related in-store event at their Apple Stores after Thanksgiving (Nov 28th).

No further details yet available.

These might be unrelated things. Who knows. I'd hope for displays, but that doesn't sound like a "significant annouoncement" to me. Wasn't the last Music Event about iTunes? I'd really like it to be an iPod price adjustment (since some compitors are undercutting iPod's price, though during the marketing address they said they weren't looking to change the price points of iPods). Apple makes alot of money on iPods ($175 ono ea. 40 GB sold, according to soem print articles.) Maybe they could drop the price of each by $25 just in time for xmas? Esp. for the computer uneducated gift-buyers (like my folks) who I think are getting me a new iPod, if a salesman says "this is the same thing as the iPod, but its this much cheaper" they wouldn't know that it wouldn't work with iTunes. They wouldn't even know to ask the question.

Then again, my parents burried their fisrt MAC (money access card, wiht the little rainbow on it) in a locked drawer in their desk becaue they were afraid they's lose all their savings with it.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Buy Nothing Day?......heck, it doesn't take activism to keep me away from the malls on the most crowded day of the year, Apple news or no. *shudder*

Think I'll try doing my shopping on Sunday mornings, this year. While at least some portion of people are at church. I absolutely despise malls during the holiday shopping season.

(why not order online, you say? because I'm a dyed-in-the-wool procrastinator, that's why!)

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by rikers_mailbox

A 10GB is a great entry level 'Pod and any music fanatic will tell you it's easy to fill it up. . . you'd *have* to buy another one sooner or later. Especially with an iTMS addiction :D

You know, I wonder how true this is. I have the original 5 GB iPod, and it easily holds my 761 songs. The 10 GB holds what roughly? 2000 or a little more? That truely seems like plenty. More than 2000 songs and there are some you would never hear. Heck, there are songs I haven't heard on my iPod for months while its on random, and I use it everyday, and I have under a thousand! While some people do have tons and tons of songs, 40,000 or whatever that I'm sure the legally bought *cough cough*, I don't think 10 GB is something "easy to fill" up and that most people will *have* to buy a new one sooner or later.

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
I tend to agree. I have about 2.5 G of songs. And I'm not buying new ones at a rapid rate either. I'd of bought a 5Gigger if it was avail. in the new form factor. I guess maybe apple can't get a good price on a small 5Gig HD? I can't think of any laptops that still ship with 5 (or even 10) Gig HD's anymore.

daijones

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Something "Great"?

Could this be linked to Jobs' comment at the analyst's meeting in early November about upcoming products?
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=46254
Particularly, the bit where he says:
So, right now we've got an 80%+ share in our music store and we're #1 in units and of course revenue in the iPod. We're investing a lot in that. Got some great stuff coming out over the next... uh... timeframes.
Replace "...uh...timeframes" with "three weeks", which seems to work, and it brings us to the coming week.

Could be good. I want it to be a portable personal video recorder myself, like an Archos AV340 but with Apple elegance and integration.

(EDIT: probably just a coincidence, but the official release of the supercomputer top 500 next week would be a good time to announce a G5 XServe for clustering applications)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Originally posted by Stella
Canadian iTunes...

... think I may be hoping too much.

I mean, Apple actively supporting international markets?!! :)

No - they don't ! At least not Europe. But why should Apple ? It seems they make enough profit and just focus on the US market.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
You know, I wonder how true this is. I have the original 5 GB iPod, and it easily holds my 761 songs. The 10 GB holds what roughly? 2000 or a little more? That truely seems like plenty. More than 2000 songs and there are some you would never hear. Heck, there are songs I haven't heard on my iPod for months while its on random, and I use it everyday, and I have under a thousand! While some people do have tons and tons of songs, 40,000 or whatever that I'm sure the legally bought *cough cough*, I don't think 10 GB is something "easy to fill" up and that most people will *have* to buy a new one sooner or later.

I think that the iPods with bigger drives can be used as external backup drives. That would be the main reason for me to get a larger drive.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
why not a video ipod

we need a music ipod which has a video screen and can be used for dj advanced service.

also great function, WORK WITH TIVO.

have the video ipod be able to save and playback tivo shows and movies.

perhaps even rip dvd to it.

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Re: Something "Great"?

Originally posted by daijones
(EDIT: probably just a coincidence, but the official release of the supercomputer top 500 next week would be a good time to announce a G5 XServe for clustering applications)

they won't have an in store event and announce anything about the XServe... the Apple Stores are for consumers.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Re: why not a video ipod

Originally posted by mdntcallr
we need a music ipod which has a video screen and can be used for dj advanced service.

not a video iPod, but maybe something that can connect to tivo. if that happens, it wont really be music though.

AppleManEric

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2003
Re: why not a video ipod

Originally posted by mdntcallr

or, what would be cool I think, would have the iPod's have color screen's and everything, and then you could listen to a song while watching it's music video. ITMS could sell songs with videos also. and if a song didn't have a video it could have the visualizer playing. But of course all this would take up a lot of drive space, and also the visualizer would take a lot of procossing power, so the battery would be drained *like that*. unless better more efficient batteries were released, like ultracompact hydrogen fuel cells. but hey, that will probably no happen for many years. A tivo iPod would be awesome. Personally though, I would be satisfied if they released a couple more games. When i am in the car, I listen to my pod and play games. but with 4, gets old real quick.

Fahd

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw

I have a 20 GB ipod and its currently filled up to 13.8 GB. While I agree with your comment on legality of most users with lots of songs, mine are all from my CDs and most of my tapes. While the quality of the songs on the ipod which are from the tapes is not great, its actually quite decent.

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
Originally posted by rikers_mailbox
Maybe a move in the storage size and pricing? I must say that I was a bit confused by their last product revision. . . I thought the line up would have been:

10GB - $199
20GB - $299
30GB - $399
40GB - $499

Who could pass up an iPod for $199?! A 10GB is a great entry level 'Pod and any music fanatic will tell you it's easy to fill it up. . . you'd *have* to buy another one sooner or later. Especially with an iTMS addiction :D
I would love to se low prices, but look at this:
Some wanker commented on CNET that apple makes up to 175 per unit. so, even if 500 for the 40gig - less 175 profit = 325 for that unit. You cant really drop the price by $100 without eroding the profit. After all, (unprofitable) iTMS exists to drive (profitable) iPod sales.

Also, the $199 10gigs (with slim profit margins) would canabilize the sales of the pricier ones (with their hefty profits margins).
That said, if they drop to $199, I'll buy one to replace the one I gave to my sister in law last summer.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
No - they don't ! At least not Europe. But why should Apple ? It seems they make enough profit and just focus on the US market.

It's not Apple that isn't trying in Europe. It's the numerous individual countries and their independent licensing that is making it so difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.