Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
MOD NOTE: I closed the other thread and linked it to this one. We try to avoid merges these days for technical reasons.

B

Fair enough. Thanks. It just would be twice as hard to double track the threads, so that's why I brought it up.

Back on topic.

The bigger issue is this. If the NSA were able to do this back in the original iPhone and iPhone 3G days, not only would they have had to intercept the phone at some point (even at creation time), but that would also mean that every iPhone created was impacted at that time. This isn't just a US-only thing now. This could potentially be every iPhone worldwide, and depending on if one still has it available, forensics could be done on that phone to see exactly how and do the reverse of Apple, with regards to jailbreaks:

Have the jailbreak community patch whatever hole the NSA used and release that either as a separate package, or along with a jailbreak.

But either way, that still may exist. I have a jailbroken and unlocked 3G sitting around, so I wonder if I was affected. Anyone have an idea as to what to look for?

BL.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Unless the US government does something radical US IT companies will never be fully trusted again. I've already moved away from US based cloud companies as I simply don't trust that my data will remain secure. It's a very sad situation. Whatever next.

1) secure from whom? if you're worried that the US government is going to see your data, then I guess you'd have something to worry about, but I'm not sure why one would be worried about that in the professional world unless they were into wrongdoing. In the professional world I consider the chief goal of keeping data secure is to keep it secure from competitors who may want to get a leg up, and from hackers who would want to just want to see the world burn because its fun. There are a few others reasons of course including when dealing with PII data but those are the top threats IMO. The only time I'd be worried about a government spying on me is when the government is communist or like because they could be spying in order to pass competitive secrets to state-sanctioned corporations in order to give competitive advantages which goes back to the competitive reasons.

2) Do you really think a UK based company or any other country really is going to do anything less? US got caught this time... doesn't mean others don't do it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Fair enough. Thanks. It just would be twice as hard to double track the threads, so that's why I brought it up.

Back on topic.

The bigger issue is this. If the NSA were able to do this back in the original iPhone and iPhone 3G days, not only would they have had to intercept the phone at some point (even at creation time), but that would also mean that every iPhone created was impacted at that time. This isn't just a US-only thing now. This could potentially be every iPhone worldwide, and depending on if one still has it available, forensics could be done on that phone to see exactly how and do the reverse of Apple, with regards to jailbreaks:

Have the jailbreak community patch whatever hole the NSA used and release that either as a separate package, or along with a jailbreak.

But either way, that still may exist. I have a jailbroken and unlocked 3G sitting around, so I wonder if I was affected. Anyone have an idea as to what to look for?

BL.

but isnt the US/NSA "officially" saying they dont spy on the american citizens anyway but everyone else in the world ... even presidents they call friends and partners ...

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Lets face it. Everyone should know by now that ANY device that connects online isn't private. It is sad, we should have privacy, but that simply isn't the case.

I will admit, I didn't expect this, but it is not particularly surprising.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Of course tinfoil hat crowd will claim Apple was allowing it to be installed at Foxconn factories. Too many people in Alex Jones territory these days which is scary.

oh my.

physical access to factories is trivial for the NSA, with or without Apple assistance. the only scary part is that there are others who turn a blind eye to the totalitarian police state in these first decades of its emergence.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
but isnt the US/NSA "officially" saying they dont spy on the american citizens anyway but everyone else in the world ... even presidents they call friends and partners ...

Oh please, they can "officially" say all they want. Everyone knows they spy on everyone, probably even themselves.

Conspiracy theory: TRUST NO ONE, NOT EVEN YOURSELF!!!! YOU COULD BE SPYING ON YOURSELF!!! :eek:

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
1) ...
I'm not sure why one would be worried about that in the professional world unless they were into wrongdoing.

really? It's called the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. and everyone should be worried that the American police state run amok violates it with impunity.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
What's interesting is just how much data the NSA is collecting and what they're really doing with this.

Just think how much pron the US government is paying to store on those massive, hidden, underground server farms.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Ahahah! Now that makes sense, that explains all those fingerprints and spots on my Apple devices arriving from the factory. I though it was just dirty factory workers...

-Mike

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Oh please, they can "officially" say all they want. Everyone knows they spy on everyone, probably even themselves.

thats what those " " were for :p

really? It's called the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. and everyone should be worried that the American police state run amok violates it with impunity.

that whole 4th amendment obsession is so weird to me like isnt it dated by now. stuff that made a bit of sense back then shouldnt be the holy grail that can never be wrong now in 2013/14

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

I was talking practically, not morally. The poster to whom I was replying said he had pulled his business from U.S. companies over these revelations because he felt his data was no longer secure, and it was on that line I was making my points. I was trying to not enter the moral and constitutional issue debate at this time.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
However, what really bothers me very much is the interception of packages. That really is irksome. More reason to perform a full Restore [when I get them first time] on all my devices like I have always done.

A full restore wouldn't help you if they modified the hardware or firmware somehow.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
my turkish friend always flips out when i text him NSA NSA NSA TURKEY AL QAIDA PLANE on FB its so much fun and hilarious. he gets so scared

everyone on the planet should do that and their data becomes useless ;)

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Though I do say that the 2008 time frame is a bit shocking.. This means that this was implemented possibly earlier than the current POTUS term.
The current POTUS took office on January 20, 2009.

This NSA program was likely instigated by the previous administration.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The fun part is that they're great at collecting the data, storing it, and then doing absolutely nothing with it.

Silly you, you think that's a good thing.

No, it means that when they get hacked (and they can, have been, and will be) that all of the data they collected goes to someone who is almost certainly evil and will do bad things with it. They did all the heavy lifting for the criminals who couldn't. Meanwhile, you're no more secure in any way than you would have been had the NSA not stolen your data. In fact, you're almost certainly less secure.

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
1) secure from whom? if you're worried that the US government is going to see your data, then I guess you'd have something to worry about, but I'm not sure why one would be worried about that in the professional world unless they were into wrongdoing.

The argument that only people engaged in wrongdoing should worry about the government seeing your data is unfortunately becoming less and less the case. In just the last year, we have seen many examples of abuse:
1) The US government targeting people that lean some particular way politically... through the IRS and otherwise
2) Journalist that are critical of the government having many mysterious goings on with their online account (just read an article today about a government employee whistle blower having four or five years of his email account, which contained evidence of government abuse, accessed and destroyed).
3) The government obtaining dirt on people that are critical of it, or engaged in activitism they don't like (dirt as in not being illegal, but embarrassing).

It seems lately the government here has no qualms about crossing any lines.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
At least this is individual targeted survailence, personally I'm fine with that - it's what we have security services for. I expect GCHQ had/have a similar thing going on (or access to the NSA's software).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.