Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Unless the US government does something radical US IT companies will never be fully trusted again. I've already moved away from US based cloud companies as I simply don't trust that my data will remain secure. It's a very sad situation. Whatever next.

Where did you move your data? If I may ask.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
Thanks, Apple.

I don't get why it's their fault. They specifically say
The NSA in 2008 claimed a 100 percent success rate in installing the software on phones it had physical access to

if they have physical access to the phone, they can quickly jailbreak it and install anything they want. They set up the installation to keep all the apple logos (rather than replace them as the jailbreak often does) and to not install the likes of Cydia or anything other than their own code, so the user doesn't notice their phone has been jailbroken.

so really, you should be thanking the jailbreakers who were so quick to shout loudly about how they'd found the exploits in the iPhones

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
MOD NOTE: I closed the other thread and linked it to this one. We try to avoid merges these days for technical reasons.

B

Yes by all means, make it easier for the NSA to track the progress of the thread:p.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Unless the US government does something radical US IT companies will never be fully trusted again. I've already moved away from US based cloud companies as I simply don't trust that my data will remain secure. It's a very sad situation. Whatever next.

It took you a while :) GMX.com will not give access to nobody.

----------

I don't get why it's their fault. They specifically say

if they have physical access to the phone, they can quickly jailbreak it and install anything they want. They set up the installation to keep all the apple logos (rather than replace them as the jailbreak often does) and to not install the likes of Cydia or anything other than their own code, so the user doesn't notice their phone has been jailbroken.

so really, you should be thanking the jailbreakers who were so quick to shout loudly about how they'd found the exploits in the iPhones

This couldn't have been done without Apple knowing about it and even allowing it. Maybe they were forced into it maybe not but they were/are part of the scheme.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Might explain those large data xfers occurring overnight? I seem to remember a few complaining about unexplained data use particularly overnight.

Probably ships from Apple with the NSA software already there.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Where did you move your data? If I may ask.

Moving your data from a US cloud service to another is just a waste of time.
I think there is every likelyhood that Cloud services are going to have a difficult patch. There is also big risk associated with having your confidential business data taken by a competitor.

Personally I never use Cloud services.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
And how did they manage to re-seal and repackage the devices so the consumer wouldn't know? And how is it that no one from Fed Ex or UPS leaked that this was going on?

Shrink wrapping packages is easy. There's nothing on the actual shrink wrap itself that Apple does or puts label on. I shrink wrap stuff all the time. However, in a larger production environment, it looks more professionally done.

This could explain how Apple released a lot of iPhones with scuff marks on them. It wasn't Apple's production but the repackaging and handling process that caused it.

Even if you do a restore, does it really clear out everything. How is one to know this isn't embedded in iOS itself? Could explain why iPhones were reporting data usage even though the phone sat idle for 48 hours in one test. Everyone looked at AT&T regarding this issue, but was it really the NSA ?

Makes you think about all the past issues now.

----------

Moving your data from a US cloud service to another is just a waste of time.
I think there is every likelyhood that Cloud services are going to have a difficult patch. There is also big risk associated with having your confidential business data taken by a competitor.

For businesses, I would never trust a cloud service hosted by someone else. For personal use - that contains no personal identifiable information about you then I have no problem (ie music, movies, word docs, etc)

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Does all this just seem a little *too* cloak-and-dagger to be legitimate? DROPOUTJEEP, CHIMNEYPOOL, FREEFLOW, STRAITBIZARRE, TURBULENCE, SIGINT -- all in capital letters of course. These sound more like randomly-generated compound passwords than spy codenames. I'm thinking this whole thing is an end-of-year hoax on the media who will of course immediately fall for it without question. If this was your joke, hats off to you sir -- well done!

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
It took you a while :) GMX.com will not give access to nobody.

You don't know that for sure, in addition they got hacked last year and 3000 accounts were compromised.

This couldn't have been done without Apple knowing about it and even allowing it. Maybe they were forced into it maybe not but they were/are part of the scheme.

Not defending Apple here, but that is pure speculation.

----------

You may not use Dropbox or whatever, but your data is stored somewhere. Your emails are on mailservers, your mobile phone usage data is at your mobile phone provider, and your credit card details are on servers at your bank.

Cloud services are only of minor interest, as they mostly contain just limited usable data (no-one is interested in your birthday pictures, application letters and a bit of correspondence). Most important data is managed by companies outside of your control.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Ugh, seriously; enough with the political stories. Is it too much to ask for ONE blog that doesn't do this nonsense?!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Shrink wrapping packages is easy. There's nothing on the actual shrink wrap itself that Apple does or puts label on. I shrink wrap stuff all the time. However, in a larger production environment, it looks more professionally done.
I've never received an Apple product shrinkwrapped, only taped. Tape is impossible to remove from cardboard without me seeing that it has been done. So, they would have to have entire re-packaging systems, with new "Apple" boxes, to do this.

I've hardly ever received any product shrinkwrapped. That is mainly used on a pallet of items, so they don't fall off the pallet, not on an individual item which is all that is sent to my house. And products I have received with this also have other packaging that would have to be opened/replaced. Shrinkwrap is not in question.
Makes you think about all the past issues now.
And I gotta say, it's still easier to think that Apple's software and design is imperfect than they have been working with governments to check my messages.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This. It is probably the best easy to understand explanation of how the monetary system truly works.
There's a glaring elephant in their room, though. As there usually is with conspiracy theorists. If no money has value (as they are wishing), what are they claiming does have value? They blandly throw around the term "assets", as if we all know what they mean.

Here's a theory on their theory....it was written by someone who has something that once had lots of value (precious metals, crude oil?), but has less now since paper money has become widely used, and they want value back in their "asset", so they wrote a little video condemning the paper money.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Ugh, seriously; enough with the political stories. Is it too much to ask for ONE blog that doesn't do this nonsense?!

First they came for the communists and I didn't stand up because I wasn't a communist.

This stuff is about the US government violating the constitution. It's kind of a big deal.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
This is just plain wrong, if true. Imagine if they could deploy a variant of this in OTA updates.

I'm appalled that people still support the NSA given the lack of congressional or judicial oversight, and clear breaches in privacy and security. Any more leaks about their operations and we're going to be smack dab in an Orwellian "Ministry of Thought."

While I understand the original intent and mission of the agency, the lack of true oversight is disconcerting to say the least. The FISA court is a puppet court that doesn't respect the rights of US citizens, and isn't really under congressional oversight either. Every juncture into someone's private data should require a warrant from an unbiased federal judge PER PERSON. The 4th amendment is there for a reason, contrary to recent rulings, and allowance of bulk monitoring of individuals via sweeping rulings is simply wrong.

While the argument could certainly be made that those who do nothing wrong have nothing to fear, the real concern lies in the misuse of collected data. We all have skeletons and dirt in the closet. If the NSA is collecting and parsing ALL our personal data (it comes close at this point), what's to say someone wouldn't misuse it for personal gain? Those 40k+ employees are human after all, and that's not even considering potential political ramifications. Let's say either independently or under executive order the NSA were to dig up dirt on an opponent, and that material was used against them? What about bribing and blackmailing key judicial figures like judges and justices to push personal or political agendas?

To be clear, I'm not saying this happens now, only that this type of collection opens up the possibility for tremendous misuse in the future. Furthermore, intentionally weakening products and standards will only erode consumer confidence, and weaken security against criminal elements. I expect credit card fraud will get far worse and criminal elements begin to figure out some of these back doors.

100% right. With enough evidence and lawyer magic, many ppl can be found guilty of a crime they had nothing to do with. So the argument that if you have nothing to hide, then you will be ok is delusional. The data the government collects on each individual can be packaged and presented to convincingly link many ppl to all sorts of crimes.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
There's a glaring elephant in their room, though. As there usually is with conspiracy theorists. If no money has value (as they are wishing), what are they claiming does have value? They blandly throw around the term "assets", as if we all know what they mean.

Here's a theory on their theory....it was written by someone who has something that once had lots of value (precious metals, crude oil?), but has less now since paper money has become widely used, and they want value back in their "asset", so they wrote a little video condemning the paper money.

Um, okay...this is a straightforward explanation of how the monetary system actually works in practice. Do you have a better explanation? Historically, all currencies used to be exchangeable for a static mass/weight in gold. Money markets didn't exist in the form they do now. Now if you want to trade your paper currency in for gold, you have to deposit it in a trading account (i.e. convert it to its electronic value equivalent) and make a transaction on the variable commodity market.

This may feel all natural to you and I, since we've never known anything else, but the truth of the matter is, money has value today only because we say it does through our use of it to exchange goods and services.

It is a fact that the phenomenon of interest bearing debt means that there is always more debt than money in the world. If you have paid off all of your debt, that simply means that somebody somewhere else has more debt than before, because the banks are using the money in your account as a basis to create more money to supply loans to somebody else, who is paying interest on top of the newly created money.

Why do you think the great depression was so devastating? Massive stock market failure caused panic and a mad rush for real paper currency caused banks to fail because they didn't actually have it, etc.

If we lose confidence in the currency, its value drops like a stone. If everyone tried to go to their bank and withdraw all of their savings in real paper currency simultaneously, the world's monetary based economy would literally implode overnight.

This coming from an accounting and finance professional. It's what I do for a living.

PS my first job was in Minneapolis at Larson Allen LLP right downtown :)

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Dated? After less than 250 years? The Roman Empire lasted over 2000 years. Will the American Empire last that long?

What exactly is it about "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures..." that you think is "dated"?

It was actually incredibly well-written to apply just as precisely today as it did then.

yes, dated. it can be easily argued that digital data and tracking your every move and phone call is not covered by that. Back in the days of the roman empire things changed a lot slower, and they didn't have game changing tech developed like computers. I think we need a new constitution for every generation since things are changing so quickly. I don't trust anything done back in the days before electricity and no computers to apply to my digital life today.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Um, okay...this is a straightforward explanation of how the monetary system actually works in practice. Do you have a better explanation? Historically, all currencies used to be exchangeable for a static mass/weight in gold. Money markets didn't exist in the form they do now. Now if you want to trade your paper currency in for gold, you have to deposit it in a trading account (i.e. convert it to its electronic value equivalent) and make a transaction on the variable commodity market.

This may feel all natural to you and I, since we've never known anything else, but the truth of the matter is, money has value today only because we say it does through our use of it to exchange goods and services.

It is a fact that the phenomenon of interest bearing debt means that there is always more debt than money in the world. If you have paid off all of your debt, that simply means that somebody somewhere else has more debt than before, because the banks are using the money in your account as a basis to create more money to supply loans to somebody else, who is paying interest on top of the newly created money.

Why do you think the great depression was so devastating? Massive stock market failure caused panic and a mad rush for real paper currency caused banks to fail because they didn't actually have it, etc.

If we lose confidence in the currency, its value drops like a stone. If everyone tried to go to their bank and withdraw all of their savings in real paper currency simultaneously, the world's monetary based economy would literally implode overnight.

This coming from an accounting and finance professional. It's what I do for a living.

PS my first job was in Minneapolis at Larson Allen LLP right downtown :)

'literally'?

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
'literally'?

Ha ha ha - In a way, yes. If this happened the confidence in money that only existed in a digital form would be non-existent, and become so worthless that the money supply in the world would quite literally shrink and collapse in on itself at such a rate that an implosion would be a good description.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.