Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strangerthanlight

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2021
Is there anyway to avoid plugging/unplugging the cables when switching from Mac to Bootcamp?
  • On mac I used W5700X and a thunderbolt cable to XDR display
  • On bootcamp W5700X is disabled and I can connect the Nvidia RTX A6000 to XDR display with the Belkin VR cable (displayport to USB C and 2x USBs)
I wonder if I can connect both cables to something (like a Y shaped splitter but instead of splitting it combines/passthru the signals?) then just one cable to XDR display?

Reactions: twentyonekoalas

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Is there anyway to avoid plugging/unplugging the cables when switching from Mac to Bootcamp?
  • On mac I used W5700X and a thunderbolt cable to XDR display
  • On bootcamp W5700X is disabled and I can connect the Nvidia RTX A6000 to XDR display with the Belkin VR cable (displayport to USB C and 2x USBs)
I wonder if I can connect both cables to something (like a Y shaped splitter but instead of splitting it combines/passthru the signals?) then just one cable to XDR display?
Have the exact same issue. There isn't a KVM switch or a y splitter that exists for thunderbolt 3. I just purchased a Belkin Pro Thunderbolt dock so that maybe I can switch via the dock instead of unplugging from my XDR display and wearing out/damaging the port but sadly, the belkin VR cable doesn't work with the dock. So basically my only solution was this cable.

You can even see that I posted a review with picture of the XDR display. If you're not worried about damaging your port on the XDR you dont need this. Otherwise, there are no solutions whatsoever.

Reactions: strangerthanlight

strangerthanlight

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2021
Have the exact same issue. There isn't a KVM switch or a y splitter that exists for thunderbolt 3. I just purchased a Belkin Pro Thunderbolt dock so that maybe I can switch via the dock instead of unplugging from my XDR display and wearing out/damaging the port but sadly, the belkin VR cable doesn't work with the dock. So basically my only solution was this cable.

You can even see that I posted a review with picture of the XDR display. If you're not worried about damaging your port on the XDR you dont need this. Otherwise, there are no solutions whatsoever.
didn't thought of this, very smart idea!

Hopefully one day there is a thunderbolt 3 KVM...

strangerthanlight

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2021
I think there is. Macsfancontrol is a great utility that has both MacOS and Windows versions. When my 3090's are working, I set the fans at 1800rpm for a nice combo of quiet and cool. That usually keeps them below 80 C.
Thank you - will try that! Also is there any adjustable Z-shaped bracket to support these heavy GPUs? (there are slots on the left side of Mac Pro but it seems all the PC GPU brackets can only be mounted on the right side of the Mac Pro and takes a slot below and not even sure they can be secured)

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
Thank you - will try that! Also is there any adjustable Z-shaped bracket to support these heavy GPUs? (there are slots on the left side of Mac Pro but it seems all the PC GPU brackets can only be mounted on the right side of the Mac Pro and takes a slot below and not even sure they can be secured)
You mean something like this? https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/accessories/argb-gpu-support-bracket/

The RGB is useless for a Mac Pro, but I'm sure you can find a cheaper clone out there.

Reactions: strangerthanlight

frankiee

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
It also affects the macOS side! If you have such a card installed, display sleep and regular sleep will just crash the machine. Installing the FakeNvidia kext from @joevt mitigates this somewhat, so at least the machine does not crash, but is unfortunately still unable to reach the "deep sleep" state, as the card keeps running nonetheless. @joevt: any idea to improve on this, so that the cards is able to properly shut down?

I also can confirm that FakeNvidia still works on Big Sur, so it probably works with macOS 12 as well. Of course this only prevents crashes as I said, the card is still (and probably will be forever) dysfunctional on macOS.

copypasteman

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
It also affects the macOS side! If you have such a card installed, display sleep and regular sleep will just crash the machine. Installing the FakeNvidia kext from @joevt mitigates this somewhat, so at least the machine does not crash, but is unfortunately still unable to reach the "deep sleep" state, as the card keeps running nonetheless. @joevt: any idea to improve on this, so that the cards is able to properly shut down?

I also can confirm that FakeNvidia still works on Big Sur, so it probably works with macOS 12 as well. Of course this only prevents crashes as I said, the card is still (and probably will be forever) dysfunctional on macOS.
Right. That’s what I was asking about. I actually don’t have FakeNvidia installed and I don’t crash on display sleep. Well if anyone is running this config and updates, let us know how it went!

frankiee

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Right. That’s what I was asking about. I actually don’t have FakeNvidia installed and I don’t crash on display sleep. Well if anyone is running this config and updates, let us know how it went!
So you have this behavior on macOS 11 or beta 12? Still wonder because on Big Sur, at least I also needed FakeNvidia to prevent those crashes (at least I want display sleep to work)

copypasteman

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
So you have this behavior on macOS 11 or beta 12? Still wonder because on Big Sur, at least I also needed FakeNvidia to prevent those crashes (at least I want display sleep to work)
I have this behavior on Big Sur. I have a 3090 installed, but I plug in the Vega to my display when booting into MacOS. The 3090 is never connected to anything while in MacOS

frankiee

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Yeah, maybe this is the difference, since my 3080 is connected to the same monitor (different port of course)

copypasteman

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
AH yes thats probably it. I bet unplugging it would fix it. I am using an XDR so I have to switch cables to use macOS anyways.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
May have been discussed earlier in the thread, but can an RTX card be spoken to by windows running on a VM, while it's ignored by macOS?

crypto7

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2006
Apologies for asking this if it's already been answered (I couldn't find it skimming through this thread's 16 pages) but...

What is the maximum length of a PCIe card which can fit in the MacPro7,1?

I've looked at support.apple.com and a bunch of different forums and I cannot for the life of me find the *internal dimensions* of the 2019 Mac Pro... :rolleyes:

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
I don't have my Mac Pro anymore, but about 305mm, IIRC. The sonnet 4x4 nvme card runs the entire length, but subtract a little for the slots/supports.

crypto7

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2006
I don't have my Mac Pro anymore, but about 305mm, IIRC. The sonnet 4x4 nvme card runs the entire length, but subtract a little for the slots/supports.
Thank you! It sounds like my upcoming Nvidia 3080 experiment will be limited to the cards 12" max in length...

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020

crypto7

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2006
I have not updated to the Monterey beta, but my new challenge is filling these 3 power aux ports from the MacPro7,1...??? I'm getting the feeling this card ain't gonna work in a 2019 :mad:

3080.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.