Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zozomester

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2017
Hungary
Edited:
I understand (If you install Catalina with a supported Mac then move the drive to your MP5,1) now. Sorry!
Can't install Mac Pro smoothly?

Last edited:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
There are two types of socket 1366 i7s, older ones are the same as W35xx with ECC and TXT disabled (Nehalem), newer ones are W36xx Xeons with ECC and TXT support disabled (Westmere).

So, it's exactly the same instruction set and it's a downgrade for most part since RAM speed are limited to just 1066MHz.

The 990x runs ram happily at 1333. ECC ram also works, just without ecc.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Edited:
I understand (If you install Catalina with a supported Mac then move the drive to your MP5,1) now. Sorry!
Can't install Mac Pro smoothly?
screen-shot-2019-06-03-at-16-49-20-png.840345

[doublepost=1559672696][/doublepost]
The 990x runs ram happily at 1333. ECC ram also works, just without ecc.
I checked ARK to answer that question since I don't have any 1366 i7, Intel says 1066MHz only for i7-990x:

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 15.21.01.png

Reactions: handheldgames

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Assume the hardwired CAT5 is still working fine after that initial crash?
Yes. I just had one crash, the first time I opened it.

This crash could be related to my NVRAM settings messing with kext signatures, audio problem was. I'll install Catalina from scratch and test with my MP4,1>5,1 to check if it happens again.

colin warburton

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2011
Yorba linda, Ca
i hope dosdude1 can patch it. our towers still have some good life left in them. once i saw that apple announced catalina, and didnt see the 2010 5'1 on it, currently typing on it as we speak (yes i have one as well), im like, im sure dosdude1 will take care of it. just because our intel chips are outdated and that intel refuses to update the microcodes, and because of the md5 attacks they have, doesn't mean apple has to ommit us from running the new os. These towers have more than enough power to run catalina, they just want us to upgrade our towers to the trashcans, or to the new (cheese grader).

Reactions: FlorisVN

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I've been thinking about making a script to remove MacPro5,1 from OSInstall.mpkg/Distribution and add the boardID of MP5,1 since it's just that what are needed, for a MP5,1 that has a METAL supported GPU, to run Catalina.

The future Mojave Catalina Patcher is overly complex with all patches needed for the other unsupported Macs to work, it will take some weeks to work anyway, while MP5,1 is just a distribution file that need two edits. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I've been thinking about making a script to remove MacPro5,1 from OSInstall.mpkg/Distribution and add the boardID of MP5,1 since it's just that what are needed, for a MP5,1 that has a METAL supported GPU, to run Catalina.

The future Mojave Patcher is overly complex with all patches needed for the other unsupported Macs to work, it will take some weeks to work anyway, while MP5,1 is just a distribution file that need two edits. Any thoughts?
As long as there aren't any other restrictions I think it would be OK. We probably need to compare the performance of Catalina vs Mojave on cMP before we jump ships.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
As long as there aren't any other restrictions I think it would be OK. We probably need to compare the
performance of Catalina vs Mojave on cMP before we jump ships.

Based on what I'm seeing with Catalina DP1, besides BCM94322MC missing and some features that require very recent Macs, Sidecar is one example, Catalina runs great with a MP5,1 with a METAL supported AMD GPU. Some slowdowns here and there with all the debug/logging, but thats normal/expected with DPs.

Let's see what is gonna happen with the next DP, anyway it's not an OS to use as a main one.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

That would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to put my cMP into retirement when updates for Mojave stop (security updates). It might postpone me spending $6K~ish.

Reactions: octoviaa

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
That would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to put my cMP into retirement when updates for Mojave stop (security updates). It might postpone me spending $6K~ish.
Oh no, I am not giving up yet the cheese grater. I only left my G5 when all the CPU power was engaged in compiling for a long time (in Debian as the most recent version to run on it)

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
We still have at least two years of Mojave security updates, so it's not something to worry now.

I think that Apple probable decided to removed support for MP5,1 recently, after the Intel MDS debacle. If Cupertino devs don't do go crazy with AVX support everywhere, Catalina will be easy to run on MP5,1.

mazzeri

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2014
Based on what I'm seeing with Catalina DP1, besides BCM94322MC missing and some features that require very recent Macs, Sidecar is one example, Catalina runs great with a MP5,1 with a METAL supported AMD GPU. Some slowdowns here and there with all the debug/logging, but thats normal/expected with DPs.

Sidecar won't run on a MP5,1?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Sidecar won't run on a MP5,1?
Apple did not published it yet, but developers on Apple Developer Forum checked and the minimum requirement is MacBook 2017.

Edit: read here #59

Last edited by a moderator:

chiyomossmann

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
Los Angeles

The future Mojave Catalina Patcher is overly complex with all patches needed for the other unsupported Macs to work, it will take some weeks to work anyway, while MP5,1 is just a distribution file that need two edits. Any thoughts?

It would be great if you create the script, I have a spare 5,1 that I could install right away and help as much as I can. I've ran 3,1s with dosdude patches for a few years...

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tsialex

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Oi Alex, sou natural de Novo Hamburgo RS.

It would be great if you create the script, I have a spare 5,1 that I could install right away and help as much as I can. I've ran 3,1s with dosdude patches for a few years...

Thanks!
It's a little more complicated than what I thought initially, seems the installer does another checks (related to METAL?). If you are installing from scratch manually, just OSInstall.mpkg/Distribution is needed to patch.

chiyomossmann

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
Los Angeles
It's a little more complicated than what I thought initially, seems the installer does another checks (related to METAL?). If you are installing from scratch manually, just OSInstall.mpkg/Distribution is needed to patch.

You mean, the script wouldn't work using the installer while running MacOS but it would with the USB install method? I do have Nvidia GPU with Mac ROM for boot screen.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
You mean, the script wouldn't work using the installer while running MacOS but it would with the USB install method? I do have Nvidia GPU with Mac ROM for boot screen.
Installing from scratch is not what you are thinking, it's manually unpacking and putting everything on the correct place - it's not for most people.

BTW, I started to evaluate the feasibility of doing this today and I don't yet have the full picture of what the Installer checks.

For now, use a supported Mac using what is described on the first post.

chiyomossmann

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
Los Angeles
Installing from scratch is not what you are thinking, it's manually unpacking and putting everything on the correct place - it's not for most people.

BTW, I started to evaluate the feasibility of doing this today and I don't yet have the full picture of what the Installer checks.

For now, use a supported Mac using what is described on the first post.

Understood, I will try to do the current method soon.

Thanks again!

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
View attachment 840579
<snip>
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"
<snip>
Note:

Before anyone asks again, Catalina is not supported (actively blocked) on a MP5,1:
Thanks for the -no_compat_check hint!

Just for fun I tried the install from OSInstall.mpkg, which actually proceeded without errors.
(I changed the Distribution file and repackaged it)
I booted on a 5.1 flashed 4.1 with Mojave, and installed it on to another empty hard drive I had.
Problem though is, I obviously don't understand the installation procedure (especially post install) not enough.
I rebooted, and the "new" Catalina disk then gives error messages on not being able to mount some stuff, and then eventually shuts down.
When booting up in verbose mode, (lots of garbage)
It can mount the drive, but then fails to mount the "vm" /private/var/vm
I then see a "Darwin Bootstrapper Version 7.0.0..." doing its magic.
It eventually claims the disk is clean, and APFS is fine, but then fails with not being able to mount something, and shuts down.
Anyways, it might be related to be installing from the OSInstall.mpkg, and not relevant. But I found it interesting that I got over the compatibility check with the installer ...

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2018
@tsialex do you think this is a definitive « we will not support mp5.1 anytime anymore » or could they just prevent installation because they feel the beta is not ready enough for those, but could still turn the switch « on » latter on?

crystalidea

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Belgium
@tsialex do you think this is a definitive « we will not support mp5.1 anytime anymore » or could they just prevent installation because they feel the beta is not ready enough for those, but could still turn the switch « on » latter on?

cMP is officially unsupported and never will be. Nobody knows if they will disable current workaround, I personally think they will turn the switch off and MacPro5,1 will be finally retired, but let's see
[doublepost=1559744261][/doublepost]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Catalina#System_requirements

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011

Zero chance. They have clearly outlined the models that will be supported on their Catalina page

Untitled.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.