Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
No need to mess with Distribution file, if you are using a supported Mac.

One thing that would be interesting, is to add boardID and model to the PlatformSupport.plist on Preboot volume and on /System/Library/CoreServices so you could clear NVRAM when needed.

<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>

The intended result being to eliminate the need for the no compat boot args ?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
The intended result being to eliminate the need for the no compat boot args ?
Exactly.

Please not that we are circumventing the way Apple did things in the past, Catalina could changed things and everything needs to be tested/confirmed.

Starplayr

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2018
No need to mess with Distribution file, if you are using a supported Mac.

One thing that would be interesting, is to add boardID and model to the PlatformSupport.plist on Preboot volume and on /System/Library/CoreServices so you could clear NVRAM when needed.

<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
I did the OSInstall first to see if could get by without it but was unsuccessful so I just used the same patched installer also to see if I did it right (if I screwed up the installer it would have failed).

Trying to make a patched disk from mojave to get sound and WiFi but after downloading 10.15, i can’t get a good disk. Missing resources when it boots.

Mindgap

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2019
California
Thank you so much guys for already working on a workaround. I’m also a proud owner of a 5,1 and would not like to see it go in the near future.

Really appreciate your work!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Thank you so much guys for already working on a workaround. I’m also a proud owner of a 5,1 and would not like to see it go in the near future.

Really appreciate your work!

Rest assured, this will eventually get resolved if at all possible. cMP owners are some of the most determined people in the community. We’ll get there...

DanSilov

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
If HEVC and BT support is really what are needed, you can upgrade your BT module for one with BT4.2 and activate RX-580 HEVC support (emulating iMac Pro with @h9826790 tutorial) down the road.
I think it will be more about encoding than decoding (packing videostream to efficiently send to iPad), and from what I gathered after studying the corresponding thread, the emulation only works for decoding for now.

Reactions: tsialex

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Don't know if people here already know this workaround but one of the macadmins I follow on twitter found a way to make Catalina work in VMWare Fusion 11:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/611961

screen-shot-2019-06-06-at-03-48-09-png.841182

Last edited:

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Yes, I saw that, but it didn't work for me (I'm running the latest version of Fusion Pro in the latest official version of Mojave). If I drop the Catalina beta installer in the relevant "box" of a new, blank virtual machine, I can certainly select macOS 10.14, but I can never alter the "Virtual Machine Summary" default settings, since "Customize Settings" only gives me the choice of naming the new virtual machine, which accomplishes nothing and ultimately fails. I take it for granted I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Too bad Fusion is hypervisor 2 type.... Let,s see how will it run in KVM.... But I guess it is a good way to install the OS and use the image and CCC to a hard drive if CCC of course works with Catalina.
[doublepost=1559814777][/doublepost]
Yes, I saw that, but it didn't work for me (I'm running the latest version of Fusion Pro in the latest official version of Mojave). If I drop the Catalina beta installer in the relevant "box" of a new, blank virtual machine, I can certainly select macOS 10.14, but I can never alter the "Virtual Machine Summary" default settings, since "Customize Settings" only gives me the choice of naming the new virtual machine, which accomplishes nothing and ultimately fails. I take it for granted I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.
You can always look at the VMX file differences and change it manually

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
How, exactly? If I let Fusion go ahead with macOS 10.14 and the Catalina beta installer, no virtual machine gets created! I repeat: I can't seem to find anywhere to set Windows 10 x64 as the target operating system, other than going back and choosing Windows instead of macOS, but that will ultimately fail.

EDIT: I think the entire problem boils down to the fact that Fusion seems to be unable to create an install medium using the "Install macOS 10.15 Beta" application.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
How, exactly? If I let Fusion go ahead with macOS 10.14 and the Catalina beta installer, no virtual machine gets created! I repeat: I can't seem to find anywhere to set Windows 10 x64 as the target operating system, other than going back and choosing Windows instead of macOS, but that will ultimately fail.

EDIT: I think the entire problem boils down to the fact that Fusion seems to be unable to create an install medium using the "Install macOS 10.15 Beta" application.
To edit, after you create you go to:

SystemSettings/General/OS/Windows 10 X64
Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 07.18.37.png
Then
SystemSettings/Keyboard & Mouse/Windows Profile.
Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 07.18.48.png
Save
[doublepost=1559816782][/doublepost]
Too bad Fusion is hypervisor 2 type.... Let,s see how will it run in KVM.... But I guess it is a good way to install the OS and use the image and CCC to a hard drive if CCC of course works with Catalina.
[doublepost=1559814777][/doublepost]
Never used, but people tells that works macOS-Simple-KVM

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
To edit, after you create you go to:
Yes, I am familiar with those screens. The problem is that virtual machine is never created in the first place, so I can't go there. Recapping, I drag "Install macOS 10.15 Beta.app" to the Fusion virtual machine creator wizard, select macOS 10.14, select "Customize Settings", name the virtual machine "macOS Catalina" and press Save. Less than five seconds later, I am greeted with the announcement that the install medium can't be created. What now?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Yes, I am familiar with those screens. The problem is that virtual machine is never created in the first place, so I can't go there. Recapping, I drag "Install macOS 10.15 Beta.app" to the Fusion virtual machine creator wizard, select macOS 10.14, select "Customize Settings", name the virtual machine "macOS Catalina" and press Save. Less than five seconds later, I am greeted with the announcement that the install medium can't be created. What now?
Your Catalina installer isn't valid, no? Or is mounted and you have to unmount it. Anyway, the hack works and your problem is elsewhere.

Reactions: PeterHolbrook

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Your Catalina installer isn't valid, no? Or is mounted and you have to unmount it. Anyway, the hack works and your problem is elsewhere.
Yes, it is certainly valid, and, yes, your hunch is absolutely correct. For some reason I can't understand, the InstallESD.dmg inside the install application was open in Mojave. Fusion is currently creating the install medium. Many thanks!

nandor690

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
It's as fast as Mojave DP1. When Apple remove the debug options with Catalina GM, it will probably run as smooth as Mojave 10.14.5.

Please note that Apple could start using instructions not supported by MP5,1 Xeon and then it will be game over - I doubt, but Apple did this before.
Yep, I think that was when High Sierra game out, maybe Mojave. I upgraded the cpu in my 2007 iMac so I could run the latest macOS. It’s running the latest build of Mojave, and very well too.
Without doing research on it yet; I’m wondering if the same would be true for the 5,1. Would there be a cpu that does support latest instruction that also is the same socket for 5,1?

nandor690

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
Nope, of all Socket 1366 CPUs, i7/Xeon, MP5,1 only don't have support for two. Even those two unsupported Xeons (X5687/X5698) have the exactly the same instruction set.
Nope, of all Socket 1366 CPUs, i7/Xeon, MP5,1 only don't have support for two. Even those two unsupported Xeons (X5687/X5698) have the exactly the same instruction set.
Great info! Thanks man

eksu

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2017
Got 10.15.0b1 on my 4,1 -> 5,1 last night.

I was able to use a Mac Mini 2012 to install it onto an external firewire disk, and then I used the dd command to copy the APFS partition onto my internal NVMe SSD in my cMP.

In Catalina, the Apple Raid Utility is gone and there are no drivers for the Apple Raid Card (as expected), so the Mac does not see any SAS devices or my RAID array.

Reactions: nandor690

Speedstar

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
I have mac pro 3.1,5.1 with kepler QuadroK5000 and 680EVGAmacEd tell me how can I contribute in testing here ...
mojave is running here on hfs,apfs and in VM...

If there is any think I can do ?

and I have a question iPad in sideCar need to be iOS13? and what theories are left to get it for MacPro5.1...?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I have mac pro 3.1,5.1 with kepler QuadroK5000 and 680EVGAmacEd tell me how can I contribute in testing here ...
mojave is running here on hfs,apfs and in VM...

If there is any think I can do ?

and I have a question iPad in sideCar need to be iOS13? and what theories are left to get it for MacPro5.1...?
MP5,1 just work with no_compat_check, but MP3,1 needs a lot of things - you should focus on that.

iPad needs to be on iOS13 and the same iCloud account as your Mac. Apple didn’t made a supported iPad list for Sidecar yet, but I’m inclined to think that A9/A9X is the minimum requirement.

Sidecar probably won’t work as intended with MP5,1 until we can get RX 580 HEVC encoding working like on iMac Pro. Not much sense in testing it now.
[doublepost=1559864359][/doublepost]
Got 10.15.0b1 on my 4,1 -> 5,1 last night.

I was able to use a Mac Mini 2012 to install it onto an external firewire disk, and then I used the dd command to copy the APFS partition onto my internal NVMe SSD in my cMP.

In Catalina, the Apple Raid Utility is gone and there are no drivers for the Apple Raid Card (as expected), so the Mac does not see any SAS devices or my RAID array.
Related to that, AppleRAID arrays work fine, no problem with using my arrays when connected on the SATA southbridge ports.
[doublepost=1559864475][/doublepost]
So, it sounds like these instructions will probably work on the 5,1: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ation-guide-for-sierra.1978005/#post-23025239
Will just need to switch which machine is the supported one and which will be the target disk mode one. I guess we could add the steps for no compatibility check rather then updates the platfom support information as to not typo that file.
No, just that won’t work. With APFS containers we have a Preboot volume that have PlatformSupport.plist too.

Reactions: eksu

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
This probably won't interest anyone besides me, but I was curious to see if the block in the Distribution file that Apple did with Mojave DP1, where you couldn't install it with a MP5,1, is the same one in Catalina.

I checked both Distribution files and it's the same boardIds/nonSupportedModels:

Mojave DP1 18A293u:
MP51_nonSupportedModels_18A293u.png
Catalina DP1 19A471t:
MP51_nonSupportedModels_19A471t.png

BoardId of MP5,1 must be present on boardIds and not be on nonSupportedModels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.