Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starplayr

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2018
View attachment 840579

Note:

Before anyone asks again, Catalina is not supported (actively blocked) on a MP5,1:

View attachment 840834
tsialex:
What file has the unsupportedMacs text and does your unsupported Mac need to be removed from the block?
[doublepost=1559752012][/doublepost]
Absolutely, Apple did this with Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 and Mountain Lion DP, IIRC.
UserPlugin Telemetry uses newer instructions that Core 2 Duo and Mac Pro 3,1 can't use. So far removing that works. There is something else in Catalina that I am having issues with on the MP3,1. I've got it to safe boot last night but lost Mouse. going to give it another go this evening.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Ahh, this reminds me of using LeopardAssist to install Leopard on my old souped up 1.4 Ghz PowerMac G4 AGP.
It's great to see the Mac hardware enthusiasts always find a way to extend the longevity of their machines.

Reactions: tsialex

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
tsialex:
What file has the unsupportedMacs text
InstallESD.dmg/OSInstall.mpkg/Distribution
and does your unsupported Mac need to be removed from the block?
If you install from a supported Mac to a MP5,1, you don't even need to mess with the distribution file.

Last edited:

Lycestra

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Cheesy Midwest
A lot of chatter considering it's only in it's first dev-only beta.

Thoughts on BCM94322MC (built-in wifi) support? What does copying the extension from Mojave get? API/ABI incompatibilities? Or simply signing that Apple would have to bless? Something else?

Still holding on to the hope 5,1 support will be in the final. I got the impression Mojave only got support because of holdouts (by opening up 3rd-party video cards, when the 2012 5,1 were otherwise ok..?) and that MDS bugs made them more headache than the holdouts. At the same time, with the above, 2010's might still be axed even allowing holdouts, from a purely momentum perspective. i.e. extend support for a planned single vintage generation one year longer. last year, 2012's were planned ok, but decided to include 2010's with effort. maybe this year 2012 is planned for the chopping block, but might get a last minute reprieve. that'd maybe lead to some easier community hackery to include 2010 and upgraded 4,1 if we're lucky.

on that point, do any 2012's have a BCM94322MC?

Thanks for all the hard work all

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
A lot of chatter considering it's only in it's first dev-only beta.

Thoughts on BCM94322MC (built-in wifi) support? What does copying the extension from Mojave get? API/ABI incompatibilities? Or simply signing that Apple would have to bless? Something else?

Still holding on to the hope 5,1 support will be in the final. I got the impression Mojave only got support because of holdouts (by opening up 3rd-party video cards, when the 2012 5,1 were otherwise ok..?) and that MDS bugs made them more headache than the holdouts. At the same time, with the above, 2010's might still be axed even allowing holdouts, from a purely momentum perspective. i.e. extend support for a planned single vintage generation one year longer. last year, 2012's were planned ok, but decided to include 2010's with effort. maybe this year 2012 is planned for the chopping block, but might get a last minute reprieve. that'd maybe lead to some easier community hackery to include 2010 and upgraded 4,1 if we're lucky.

on that point, do any 2012's have a BCM94322MC?

Thanks for all the hard work all

There is no driver for BCM94322MC on 10.15 DP1 and it's the standard AirPortExtreme for mid-2010/mid-2012.

Starplayr

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2018

If you install from a supported Mac to a MP5,1, you don't even need to mess with the distribution file.
Thanks, I will give it a go on my MP 3,1 tonight. I got it to save boot from a target disk in safe mode but want to try an install from itself.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Found this post #26, checked the file and then made the table, Macs that do not work with Catalina Sidecar:

iMacMacBookMacBook AirMacBook ProMac miniMac Pro
iMac13,1, iMac13,2, iMac13,3MacBook8,1MacBookAir5,1, MacBookAir5,2MacBookPro9,1, MacBookPro9,2Macmini6,1, Macmini6,2MacPro5,1
iMac14,1, iMac14,2, iMac14,3, iMac14,4.MacBookAir6,1, MacBookAir6,2MacBookPro10,1, MacBookPro10,2Macmini7,1MacPro6,1
iMac15,1.MacBookAir7,1, MacBookAir7,2MacBookPro11,1, MacBookPro11,2, MacBookPro11,3, MacBookPro11,4, MacBookPro11,5..
iMac16,1, iMac16,2..MacBookPro12,1..

Seems the cutout is more related to Quicksync HEVC encoding from Skylake processors. If you check the table, 2016 MacBook that have Quicksync encoding support have Sidecar, while the 2015 model that is blocked have a Broadwell processor with just decoding support.

This is the interesting info:

CatalinaSidecar.png

Why MacPro5,1 is there on the blocked list if Catalina don't support it. ;)

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
@tsialex : did the extact distribution Patch: Installer wrote all the files but the product was not bootable. Was not found in boot picker and not in startup disk control panel.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
@tsialex : did the extact distribution Patch: Installer wrote all the files but the product was not bootable. Was not found in boot picker and not in startup disk control panel.
Install with a supported Mac for now, something on the installer is causing problems. AFAIK, no one found the exact problem yet.

Alaska_guy

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2018
tsiAlex, I would be very interested in a installer where you remove/edit the lines of code to include the 5,1. This would assume I had a supported metal card in my machine already and edited the boot args so I could just do a seamless install on my 5,1. I do not own or know anyone with a newer Mac to do the installation as you describe in your first post, but would love to try out Catalina.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
tsiAlex, I would be very interested in a installer where you remove/edit the lines of code to include the 5,1. This would assume I had a supported metal card in my machine already and edited the boot args so I could just do a seamless install on my 5,1. I do not own or know anyone with a newer Mac to do the installation as you describe in your first post, but would love to try out Catalina.
Until the installer is patched, you only have two options:
  1. Install Catalina with a supported Mac
  2. Install Catalina manually (manually as you do everything, containers, partitions, folders, unpack files etc)
My goal is not Catalina initial DPs, but down the road.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

He literally just said in the post above yours, that no one has figured out how to do that yet...

Jegriva

macrumors member
May 17, 2019
Novara, Italy
I imagine that at least 'some' ( more probably " a lot" ) of Apple's Catalina developers team own 4,1 & 5,1s and love them dearly.
I'm also supposing that they have already installed 10.15 on them. :rolleyes:
The love is not in doubt, the security of Bloomfield chips is...

mazzeri

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2014
Found this post #26, checked the file and then made the table, Macs that do not work with Catalina Sidecar:

iMacMacBookMacBook AirMacBook ProMac miniMac Pro
iMac13,1, iMac 13,2, iMac13,3MacBook8,1MacBookAir5,1, MacBookAir5,2MacBookPro9,1, MacBook Pro9,2Macmini6,1, Macmini6,2MacPro5,1
iMac14,1, iMac 14,2, iMac14,3, iMac 14,4.MacBookAir6,1, MacBookAir6,2MacBookPro10,1, MacBook Pro10,2Macmini7,1MacPro6,1
iMac15,1.MacBookAir7,1, MacBookAir7,2MacBookPro11,1, MacBookPro11,2, MacBookPro11,3, MacBookPro11,4..
iMac16,1, iMac 16,2..MacBookPro12,1..

At quick glance, Thunderbolt 3 required.

Edit/ So I wonder if adding just a USB-C card would bring a MP5,1 up to spec? Probably not on PCIe2?

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
At quick glance, Thunderbolt 3 required.
No. Seems the cutout is more related to Quicksync HEVC (Skylake) and BT4.2 support, with both needed at the same time. It's not related to TB3, if you check the table, 2016 MacBook is supported and don't have TB3, but have BT4.2 while the 2015 model that is blocked have a Broadwell processor and only supports BT4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:

mazzeri

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2014
No. Seems more related to Quicksync HEVC support and BT4.2. 2016 MacBook is supported and don't have TB3, but have BT4.2 while the practically identical 2015 model have only BT4.0.

Okay, thanks. So Sidecar is confirmed D.O.A. on the MP5,1. Bummer.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Okay, thanks. So Sidecar is confirmed D.O.A. on the MP5,1. Bummer.
If HEVC and BT support is really what are needed, you can upgrade your BT module for one with BT4.2 and activate RX-580 HEVC support (emulating iMac Pro with @h9826790 tutorial) down the road.

Probably with something similar as Continuity Activation today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mazzeri and eksu

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
That's weird about the Sidecar support. I haven't seen anything on Apple's site that says only certain Macs support it. The preference pane won't open on my MBP 9,1.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
That's weird about the Sidecar support. I haven't seen anything on Apple's site that says only certain Macs support it. The preference pane won't open on my MBP 9,1.
Apple did not posted about it yet, not even on ADC, but it's clear what's blocked from the framework.

Starplayr

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2018

I have Catalina running on a Mac Pro 3,1.

Installed to a small hardware SSD RAID from my 2016 Mac Pro.

Removed Telemetry.

Rebooted with cmd x and x.

I did hack the installer disk to ignore CPU type and removed my model number from black list. Not sure if that helped any.

Came up with mouse and transparency. I have a flashed galaxy GTX 680 card 2GB brand new.

Did not install any patches yet.

No WiFi yet. Will look for my Broadcom one from mojave.

Screen is gorgeous on my 4k display.

Magic Trackpad is not working. Says connected. Ahbb it connects via the settings!
[doublepost=1559792310][/doublepost]

Removed Telemetry.

I did hack the installer disk to ignore CPU type and removed my model number from black list. Not sure if that helped any.

Came up with mouse and transparency. I have a flashed galaxy GTX 680 card 2GB brand new.

Magic Trackpad is not working. Says connected. Ahbb it connects via the settings!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 569
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 562
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 564
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 537

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016

Removed Telemetry.

No need to mess with Distribution file, if you are using a supported Mac.

One thing that would be interesting, is to add boardID and model to the PlatformSupport.plist on Preboot volume and on /System/Library/CoreServices so you could clear NVRAM when needed.

<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>

Reactions: octoviaa
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.