Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
What's so "worrying" about the maps? Why is iOS 6 so "boring"? How is the iPhone screen way behind HTC? Why isn't Apple "as good as it was"?

Seems like another person just spewing out the default Apple hate messages without actually explaining his or herself.

5 years on the iPhone i think earns me a little bit more than the credibility of the "spewing out the default Apple hate messages"

If you ever looked at the HTC screen you would know what im talking about. That screen is amazing... Super LCD is the future...

Google maps is so far ahead of apple and its a big step backward when you look at the comparisons videos of iOS 6.

Apple feels like Nokia right now when Nokia had their 6600 smartphone and the ones that followed.

Every new one that landed felt like the old one and every upgrade seemed to get less exciting than the last. This is how i feel about he iPhone today.

iOS is the most dull looking OS i have ever seen. Its never been that exciting but when i see the videos of Jelly bean and Cyanogenmod on the web it makes me sigh a little. Apple is doing what Apple does best and thats milk the hell out of something that was brilliant 3 years ago... but today just feels left behind.

i would say iOS has been reliable for about 10 months. The rest of the time its been one of the worst OS for a mobile phone i have ever used.

I have seen more calls be cut off than anything else in my life. The proximity sensor issue lasted for the whole life of the iPhone 4. i would regularly have to hard reset the OS. My phone would drop all its signal and then refuse to regain it unless i ended the call. i had 7 new iPhone 4's because of these problems.

In fact i would say the iPhone until the 4S was the worst mobile phone in the world for actually making a call on. When i spoke from my 3GS to another 3GS it was like talking on a long distance walky talky it was that bad.

None of the phones could hold a signal if my life depended on it. The batteries would be all about dead by the time 9 months had passed and you would be charging every day.

This amazing gorilla glass would get damaged and scratched no matter how careful you were so you would have to put some ugly protector on it just to be able to use it.

The plastic backs of the 3GS and 3G were so poor in quality that i had never seen one that didnt crack.

I never really did understand the whole itunes sync thing with the way it wanted to wipe your phone every time you synced or backed up. i could never understand why i had to sit there putting 100+ apps back into the order that i had them before.

Why the hell cant Apple just use drag and drop like everyone has been doing for like 25 years.

Explain to my why i cant delete a photo from the iPhone that i synced via itunes by accident? that crap got me into so much trouble when i used to have multiple naked girls photos on my PC that i used to be banging simultaneously. They couldnt be deleted until i went back to my PC.

Why cant i turn off Bluetooth, 3G and wifi with one button instead i have to go through a menu system every damn time.

Whos idea was it to make Tethering a way to rape the customer for money when it was on Nokias for like 5 years for free!

Since when did Apple invent the video call feature? It was the whole idea of 3G networks and phone from the start!! So why should Apple now enable people to charge for it! Who the hell wants to see the person your talking to anyway? unless she hot and naked then ill pass.

Why does Apple make the shortest charging leads in the world? i feel like im having to life 3 feet away from a wall socket because the battery is always dead and im usually trying to talk on the phone with the 3 inch cable attached to the plug.

I literally could go on and on about this stuff....

Its like living with a super model. Once you have tapped that ass enough times then the fun just wares off and wares off fast... then you have to live with it... and i just cant live with this any more...

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
5 years on the iPhone i think earns me a little bit more than the credibility of the "spewing out the default Apple hate messages"

Doesn't seem those 5 years helped you...

If you ever looked at the HTC screen you would know what im talking about. That screen is amazing... Super LCD is the future...

Apple wins in the clarity department. I'm not a display maniac so I could honestly care less about how black the blacks are, how red the reds are, etc. Just my opinion. Most average consumers could care less as well.

Google maps is so far ahead of apple and its a big step backward when you look at the comparisons videos of iOS 6.

Apple feels like Nokia right now when Nokia had their 6600 smartphone and the ones that followed.

The only thing iOS 6 maps are missing is public transit (which does if you ask Siri) and street view.

Every new one that landed felt like the old one and every upgrade seemed to get less exciting than the last. This is how i feel about he iPhone today.

I'm not really sure what your expecting. Do you want the phone to print money or something? The only think it's missing that Android has is the customization so I'm not sure why you're acting like iOS is missing so much. It's a solid OS and that's it.

iOS is the most dull looking OS i have ever seen. Its never been that exciting but when i see the videos of Jelly bean and Cyanogenmod on the web it makes me sigh a little. Apple is doing what Apple does best and thats milk the hell out of something that was brilliant 3 years ago... but today just feels left behind.

Explain how it's dull. Like I said, what do you want it to do? Apple is keeping things the same because changing the UI every update does nothing but confuse the mainstream consumer. People like iOS because it's simple, looks good, and works without a hitch. Most iOS users could care less about having their the battery be a circle mod or a different color, etc.

i would say iOS has been reliable for about 10 months. The rest of the time its been one of the worst OS for a mobile phone i have ever used.

I have seen more calls be cut off than anything else in my life. The proximity sensor issue lasted for the whole life of the iPhone 4. i would regularly have to hard reset the OS. My phone would drop all its signal and then refuse to regain it unless i ended the call. i had 7 new iPhone 4's because of these problems.

You're failing to explain yourself. I'm waiting for you to actually say HOW it's been the worst OS, what it doesn't do that you want it to do, etc. I find it hard to believe you've had 7 iPhone 4's and the problem was still not solved. If that was the case, more people would be experiencing it and complaining about it.

In fact i would say the iPhone until the 4S was the worst mobile phone in the world for actually making a call on. When i spoke from my 3GS to another 3GS it was like talking on a long distance walky talky it was that bad.

None of the phones could hold a signal if my life depended on it. The batteries would be all about dead by the time 9 months had passed and you would be charging every day.

Must be the area you're in and / or your signal reception, not the phone. I honestly you're exaggerating things here, but ok. If you'rey died in 9 months, head over to an Apple store and get a replacement if you're under warranty. (Can't go to a store for an Android phone...there really aren't any!)

This amazing gorilla glass would get damaged and scratched no matter how careful you were so you would have to put some ugly protector on it just to be able to use it.

The plastic backs of the 3GS and 3G were so poor in quality that i had never seen one that didnt crack.

It will scratch if you are careless. I could take a Galaxy S3 and scratch up the plastic or the screen if I wanted to. (I could also take the battery cover and snap it in half without any effort.)

I never really did understand the whole itunes sync thing with the way it wanted to wipe your phone every time you synced or backed up. i could never understand why i had to sit there putting 100+ apps back into the order that i had them before.

Why the hell cant Apple just use drag and drop like everyone has been doing for like 25 years.

Not sure what you're talking about and it's obvious you don't either. No iOS device will have it's contents removed by iTunes every time you sync UNLESS you are syncing it with a NEW computer.

You can drag and drop in iTunes too so I'm not sure what you mean.

Explain to my why i cant delete a photo from the iPhone that i synced via itunes by accident? that crap got me into so much trouble when i used to have multiple naked girls photos on my PC that i used to be banging simultaneously. They couldnt be deleted until i went back to my PC.

Lol. You synced it in iTunes so you have to remove it with iTunes. Just goes to show you shouldn't have that stuff on your phone. Also shows you don't really know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

Why cant i turn off Bluetooth, 3G and wifi with one button instead i have to go through a menu system every damn time.

...because it's really not that hard to click Settings and go to the toggle.

Whos idea was it to make Tethering a way to rape the customer for money when it was on Nokias for like 5 years for free!

Lol, it's not Apple's fault, it's the carriers. You have to pay on Android unless you use an illegal app to do it for free.

Since when did Apple invent the video call feature? It was the whole idea of 3G networks and phone from the start!! So why should Apple now enable people to charge for it! Who the hell wants to see the person your talking to anyway? unless she hot and naked then ill pass.

Apple never said they invented it. Apple isn't charging for it, the carriers are requiring Apple to charge for it (the carriers get the money, not Apple).

Why does Apple make the shortest charging leads in the world? i feel like im having to life 3 feet away from a wall socket because the battery is always dead and im usually trying to talk on the phone with the 3 inch cable attached to the plug.

At least they include one. Go buy a new one if it's such an issue.

I literally could go on and on about this stuff....

Its like living with a super model. Once you have tapped that ass enough times then the fun just wares off and wares off fast... then you have to live with it... and i just cant live with this any more...

:rolleyes:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
im thinking about trying out the nexus with jelly bean :)

The entire reason i have never considered an android is how "laggy" it felt on UI. but after playing with jb. Its smooth as ios.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
Doesn't seem those 5 years helped you...

Apple wins in the clarity department. I'm not a display maniac so I could honestly care less about how black the blacks are, how red the reds are, etc. Just my opinion. Most average consumers could care less as well.

The only thing iOS 6 maps are missing is public transit (which does if you ask Siri) and street view.

I'm not really sure what your expecting. Do you want the phone to print money or something? The only think it's missing that Android has is the customization so I'm not sure why you're acting like iOS is missing so much. It's a solid OS and that's it.

Explain how it's dull. Like I said, what do you want it to do? Apple is keeping things the same because changing the UI every update does nothing but confuse the mainstream consumer. People like iOS because it's simple, looks good, and works without a hitch. Most iOS users could care less about having their the battery be a circle mod or a different color, etc.

You're failing to explain yourself. I'm waiting for you to actually say HOW it's been the worst OS, what it doesn't do that you want it to do, etc. I find it hard to believe you've had 7 iPhone 4's and the problem was still not solved. If that was the case, more people would be experiencing it and complaining about it.

Must be the area you're in and / or your signal reception, not the phone. I honestly you're exaggerating things here, but ok. If you'rey died in 9 months, head over to an Apple store and get a replacement if you're under warranty. (Can't go to a store for an Android phone...there really aren't any!)

It will scratch if you are careless. I could take a Galaxy S3 and scratch up the plastic or the screen if I wanted to. (I could also take the battery cover and snap it in half without any effort.)

Not sure what you're talking about and it's obvious you don't either. No iOS device will have it's contents removed by iTunes every time you sync UNLESS you are syncing it with a NEW computer.

Lol. You synced it in iTunes so you have to remove it with iTunes. Just goes to show you shouldn't have that stuff on your phone. Also shows you don't really know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

...because it's really not that hard to click Settings and go to the toggle.

Lol, it's not Apple's fault, it's the carriers. You have to pay on Android unless you use an illegal app to do it for free.

Apple never said they invented it. Apple isn't charging for it, the carriers are requiring Apple to charge for it (the carriers get the money, not Apple).

At least they include one. Go buy a new one if it's such an issue.

I love how you try and make excuses for Apple. Fact is that i have probably had more iOS and Apple products that you will ever own. This makes me far more qualified to criticise apple.

5 generations of iPhone, 4 macbook Pro's and 3 iPads, 3 iPods gives me a pretty balanced view.

I have experienced many many many problems with my iPhones over the years, heck the iPhone 4 was the worst... Go google the proximity sensor problem that people were having 5-6 new phones per year with it.

To say it just "works" is highly misleading. My iPhone 4 had a serious problem also with not being able to answer calls it was just completely unresponsive.

I dont need you here telling me that i am wrong because to be honest i am way more experienced than most people with these products.

They can be seriously irritating in many ways and im tired of Apple selling the same phone every year with a slighly different wrapper on it.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I love how you try and make excuses for Apple. Fact is that i have probably had more iOS and Apple products that you will ever own. This makes me far more qualified to criticise apple.

5 generations of iPhone, 4 macbook Pro's and 3 iPads, 3 iPods gives me a pretty balanced view.

I have experienced many many many problems with my iPhones over the years, heck the iPhone 4 was the worst... Go google the proximity sensor problem that people were having 5-6 new phones per year with it.

To say it just "works" is highly misleading. My iPhone 4 had a serious problem also with not being able to answer calls it was just completely unresponsive.

I dont need you here telling me that i am wrong because to be honest i am way more experienced than most people with these products.

They can be seriously irritating in many ways and im tired of Apple selling the same phone every year with a slighly different wrapper on it.

Oh, I'm sorry. Who are you to tell me I don't know Apple's products enough to criticize them? I've never heard anything further from the truth. Just because you've had more products than me means absolutely nothing. You've yet to demonstrate your knowledge, as I've highlighted in my previous post. Samsung has is selling the same phone with a slightly different wrapper. They kept the same camera, rounded of the edges more, made the screen 0.3 inches larger and called is a new phone.

The fact that you failed to get a replacement iPhone 4 and automatically write the iPhone off as a piece of junk does not mean it's a bad phone. I'm not saying Apple is perfect because I'm aware of the issues devices have had, but the fact that Apple has been able to rectify them quickly and even offer customers free cases for a period of time and device replacements really shows something.

I've yet to see Google even comment on the issues with the Nexus 7 and it's display becoming loose or even detaching. How about the delay of Samsung's pebble blue S3 because of the battery cover paint defects?

As I said before, you've still yet to explain your comments about how iOS is dull, etc. I'm not defending Apple, I'm merely asking for explanations.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Oh, I'm sorry. Who are you to tell me I don't know Apple's products enough to criticize them? I've never heard anything further from the truth. Just because you've had more products than me means absolutely nothing. You've yet to demonstrate your knowledge, as I've highlighted in my previous post. Samsung has is selling the same phone with a slightly different wrapper. They kept the same camera, rounded of the edges more, made the screen 0.3 inches larger and called is a new phone.

So then what do you call the 4S?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
So then what do you call the 4S?

I wasn't implying that the 4S isn't the same phone with a slightly different wrapper, because I believe it is just that. I was just saying how the Galaxy S3 is like the iPhone, in that it receives minor spec bumps rather than a full redesign.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
^^ Dude do you have anything better to do than to troll every android post and justify every iphone fault? no device is perfect, not even the iphone. get over it.

I'm not trolling anyone nor am I justifying anything. I've never said or implied the fact that the iPhone is perfect so I've got nothing to get over. The iPhone merely works better for me than Android and that's all.

So it begs the question; do you have anything better to do than ask people if they have anything better to do?

EDIT: You must've read my last post wrong. I admitted that the 4S is the same phone with a slightly different wrapper. Not sure if you saw that or not.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Ah soon it's time for me to get something new. On a HTC Desire right now.

The way I see it with the bulk of android phones is that you sure do want to jump on a fairly new model as they have the latest and greatest features and in theory the longest running support.

Problem is, at least my impression is, that a seemingly fair share of high-end Android phones end up having issues after some time, often related to software updates bringing up problems that the initial software didn't show. You might also end up with a phone where the maker stops giving a crap. HTC always has a new more precious child to tend to, for example.

With Iphone you have a track record of 5 phones with no major issues. Stable software updates (or have I missed a catastrophe?). Sure, they send out that iOS-update two or three years down the road that suddenly makes your phone slow as a snail, but at least you know when to expect it ;)

Problem is the iphone costs a lot and is bundled with contracts that doesn't fit me.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Ah soon it's time for me to get something new. On a HTC Desire right now.

The way I see it with the bulk of android phones is that you sure do want to jump on a fairly new model as they have the latest and greatest features and in theory the longest running support.

Problem is, at least my impression is, that a seemingly fair share of high-end Android phones end up having issues after some time, often related to software updates bringing up problems that the initial software didn't show. You might also end up with a phone where the maker stops giving a crap. HTC always has a new more precious child to tend to, for example.

With Iphone you have a track record of 5 phones with no major issues. Stable software updates (or have I missed a catastrophe?). Sure, they send out that iOS-update two or three years down the road that suddenly makes your phone slow as a snail, but at least you know when to expect it ;)

Problem is the iphone costs a lot and is bundled with contracts that doesn't fit me.

If you want an iPhone, the prices will surely drop this fall.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I wasn't implying that the 4S isn't the same phone with a slightly different wrapper, because I believe it is just that. I was just saying how the Galaxy S3 is like the iPhone, in that it receives minor spec bumps rather than a full redesign.

I'd hardly call the GS3 a minor spec bump. Going from a low-res display to HD, is a pretty large jump. Doubling the RAM is a large difference. Two A-15 28nm cores as opposed to two A9 cores is a big difference. The material it's made with now is polycarbonate, which is a MUCH more high quality material than the plastic it was made of before (polycarbonate has hardness up there with kevlar). Double the ram, better processor, better materials, and a screen with around triple the resolution is hardly a minor spec bump. The GS3 would more of a minor spec bump coming from the Galaxy Nexus, but from the GS2, it's a significant increase.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

I personally can't stand Itunes. I never have to synchronize my phone to my computer and I think that is the way it should be.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009

The fact that you failed to get a replacement iPhone 4 and automatically write the iPhone off as a piece of junk does not mean it's a bad phone. I'm not saying Apple is perfect because I'm aware of the issues devices have had, but the fact that Apple has been able to rectify them quickly and even offer customers free cases for a period of time and device replacements really shows something.

I've yet to see Google even comment on the issues with the Nexus 7 and it's display becoming loose or even detaching. How about the delay of Samsung's pebble blue S3 because of the battery cover paint defects?

As I said before, you've still yet to explain your comments about how iOS is dull, etc. I'm not defending Apple, I'm merely asking for explanations.

The iPhone 4 was junk. it wasnt even good enough to be called a phone. It was a PDA that could sometimes make a phone call. IT WAS THAT BAD!

There are manufacturing problems which everyone has and there are just down right bugs and broken software than they never fix. Apple is the worst for never admitting its broken. 7 new phones!! 7!!!! eventually they stopped giving me refurbs and sent me a retail packaged iPhone 4 which i sold right away. I had a 4S to see if the issues were fixed and guess what... they were!! Funny how a new phone fixes the bugs but they didnt fix the 4...

Samsung is now outselling Apple 2 to 1 on Smartphones. I wonder why? Because people like me are getting sick and tired of the same crap year after year.

I have had my S3 for one day and yes i have crashed a few apps a few times but on the whole it seems more fun to use then my 4S. When Jelly bean comes it will be faster and smoother than currently which actually isnt bad at all right now.

Apple is going to get caught out now Android has caught up and surpassed in many ways. Apple arent doing anything worth while to the iPhone 5 in ios 6.

Im really not looking forward to a stretched out iphone 4 as the iphone 5.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
The iPhone 4 was junk. it wasnt even good enough to be called a phone. It was a PDA that could sometimes make a phone call. IT WAS THAT BAD!

I don't know, but myself and tons of others have absolutely no issues with phone calls. I've never had a dropped called with my 4S.

There are manufacturing problems which everyone has and there are just down right bugs and broken software than they never fix. Apple is the worst for never admitting its broken. 7 new phones!! 7!!!! eventually they stopped giving me refurbs and sent me a retail packaged iPhone 4 which i sold right away. I had a 4S to see if the issues were fixed and guess what... they were!! Funny how a new phone fixes the bugs but they didnt fix the 4...

Bugs and broken software? I've yet to find anything in iOS 4, 5, or even 6 beta 3 that was broken (maybe bugs in iOS 6 but nothing broken). Until you actually say what part of the software is buggy or broken, I don't have any reason to believe you.

Samsung is now outselling Apple 2 to 1 on Smartphones. I wonder why? Because people like me are getting sick and tired of the same crap year after year.

Apple has done nothing but add new features to the iPhone year after year, but if you're not happy with that, that's fine, it's your choice. The 4S is right up there with the S3 spec-wise.

I have had my S3 for one day and yes i have crashed a few apps a few times but on the whole it seems more fun to use then my 4S. When Jelly bean comes it will be faster and smoother than currently which actually isnt bad at all right now.

Lol, you're so contradicting. It's OK when Android apps crash, but when iOS software is buggy and broken, it's not OK and you rant about it.

Apple is going to get caught out now Android has caught up and surpassed in many ways. Apple arent doing anything worth while to the iPhone 5 in ios 6.

Explain, because as far as I'm concerned, iOS has the exact same features as Android, minus the customization.

Im really not looking forward to a stretched out iphone 4 as the iphone 5.

Suit yourself.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Apple has done nothing but add new features to the iPhone year after year, but if you're not happy with that, that's fine, it's your choice. The 4S is right up there with the S3 spec-wise.
Those features are incremental at best. And no the 4S is not "up there with the S3 spec-wise". A15 cores > A9 cores. 2gb RAM > 512mb of RAM. 4.8" 1280x720 display > 3.5" 960x640 display. NFC > No NFC. LTE > No LTE. I'd go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

Explain, because as far as I'm concerned, iOS has the exact same features as Android, minus the customization.
No there are several things iOS does not have that Android has. Also, for the record, saying "minus the customization" is a large exclusion considering that includes keyboards, changing default browsers, etc. As for some things iOS is lacking: Can't make any changes in the camera app, can't email more than one file type in an attachment in one email (you have to send separate emails per attachment), no flash, can't mount as storage on a computer, can't sense when you're waiting on a train and give you the schedule for the next arrival, can't notify you ahead of time if there is traffic on your way to your appointment and tell you to leave early, can't make purchases by tapping, can't transfer data by tapping, can't integrate whatever app you choose into the OS, can't share between apps installed on the phone, can't download whatever file you want from the web direct to the device, and many others things where it comes up short.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Customization is too obvious which is why I said to exclude that. I want to talk REAL features not unproductive things like changing launchers and theming stuff.

Can't make any changes in the camera app,

False. I can turn on and off gridlines, turn on and off flash, and turn on and off HDR. The software handles the rest for me.

can't email more than one file type in an attachment in one email (you have to send separate emails per attachment),

What do you mean? I can send as many pictures in an email as I want.

no flash,

Apparently not for Android either. Adobe is phasing out it out and will be stopping new downloads soon. As Android is updated, it may not even work properly. Plus, you gotta use the default browser for flash. Chrome is built into the Nexus 7 and doesn't have flash. Even then you'd have to get a third party app for flash, which is dumb if you use Chrome.

can't mount as storage on a computer,

Unnecessary because the iPhone doesn't have an SD card or USB storage like Android phones. Just send it to your Dropbox, Google Drive, or Box.net accounts if you need something.

can't sense when you're waiting on a train and give you the schedule for the next arrival,

True, but insignificant. Not a reason someone would buy an Android device over an iPhone. Plus, only 3 devices can currently do this out of the box. The rest have to be rooted for this feature.

can't notify you ahead of time if there is traffic on your way to your appointment and tell you to leave early,

Same as above.

can't make purchases by tapping,

Are you referring to NFC? If so, NFC isn't widespread enough for this to be useful. How many times have you actually done this? :rolleyes:

can't transfer data by tapping,

Yes I can. Bump for iPhone, iPad, and Android (works cross-platform as well).

can't integrate whatever app you choose into the OS,

For what purpose?

can't share between apps installed on the phone,

For what purpose? Give examples.

can't download whatever file you want from the web direct to the device

Yes I can. Goodreader for iPhone lets me download and manage files (unzip, unrar, etc) and can even share them between Dropbox, etc. It's min purpose is for reading PDFs but it does this too.

and many others things where it comes up short.

Keep going.

----------

Those features are incremental at best. And no the 4S is not "up there with the S3 spec-wise". A15 cores > A9 cores. 2gb RAM > 512mb of RAM. 4.8" 1280x720 display > 3.5" 960x640 display. NFC > No NFC. LTE > No LTE. I'd go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

Please tell me how you would notice a difference between the A15 and A9. You keep bringing this up but the difference that an average consumer would notice is minimal at best.

2GB of RAM. That's a legitimate argument because more apps and such can be open. That's fine.

Screen size is a legitimate argument, but the fact that it was upped .3 inches isn't noticeable. Maybe the ppi difference between the S2 and S3 is, but that's all. The 4S still has the highest ppi.

NFC isn't anything amazing. It can only transfer data between another NFC Android device which is a downfall and isn't widespread enough for things like payments. iPhone will get it this year so maybe we'll see an increase is usage and NFC enabled places after it's released.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Customization is too obvious which is why I said to exclude that. I want to talk REAL features not unproductive things like changing launchers and theming stuff.
You said the 4S has all the features Android has. When I gave you a list, you either gave some excuse for why it isn't needed or some half baked work around to gain a slight resemblance of the same functionality. That said, let's address your responses shall we?

False. I can turn on and off gridlines, turn on and off flash, and turn on and off HDR. The software handles the rest for me.
Not false. You cannot make any adjustments to your camera. The most you can do is set it to HDR mode. You can't turn down the megapixels if you don't want to take an 8mp picture. You can't adjust the ISO if you want to (and no the iPhone doesn't always select the best ISO setting). You have absolutely no flexibility at all in the camera app.

What do you mean? I can send as many pictures in an email as I want.
I said you can't send more than one file type in an attachment in one email. Send a pdf and a picture in the same email. You can't. You'd have to send two emails to do it. In my line of work, that is unacceptable.

Apparently not for Android either. Adobe is phasing out it out and will be stopping new downloads soon. As Android is updated, it may not even work properly. Plus, you gotta use the default browser for flash. Chrome is built into the Nexus 7 and doesn't have flash. Even then you'd have to get a third party app for flash, which is dumb if you use Chrome.
Flash still works and is still available for Jellybean. Keep holding out hope...maybe it won't work in Key Lime Pie lol.

Unnecessary because the iPhone doesn't have an SD card or USB storage like Android phones. Just send it to your Dropbox, Google Drive, or Box.net accounts if you need something.
So because you can't do it, it's unnecessary? That's some interesting logic you've got there. Sending something to cloud storage doesn't do you any good if the computer you are on doesn't have an internet connection. In my line of work, we have to get computers up and connected. Sometimes that requires loading drivers onto a computer. I can't do that if I can't mount my phone as storage. Your method simply would not work. This is a great example of what I meant at the top, when I said you provided some half baked attempts at workarounds to gain something you hope would resemble the same functionality. It's not the same. iOS doesn't have this feature, period point blank.

True, but insignificant. Not a reason someone would buy an Android device over an iPhone. Plus, only 3 devices can currently do this out of the box. The rest have to be rooted for this feature.
You call it insignificant, I call it quite nice to have. The rest having to be rooted makes no difference. The bottom line is the functionality is available on the Android platform, whereas it isn't on iOS. Remember, you said iOS has every feature Android has.....that obviously was incorrect, as illustrated on this post and the one before it.

Same as above.
See above statement.

Are you referring to NFC? If so, NFC isn't widespread enough for this to be useful. How many times have you actually done this? :rolleyes:
Living in a major city, I have used it many times. My doctor's office has Paypass, some gas stations have it at the pump, plenty of fast food restaurants, drugs stores, best buy, grocery store, and footlocker to name a few places I've used it. True enough it isn't mainstream, but I definitely use it. Also, this isn't about how widespread it is...again, you staid iOS has every feature Android does...again this obviously is not the case.

No, you can't. That isn't even close to being the same thing. Your solution really has nothing to do with tapping the phones. It's just a peer to peer app. Your solution requires you to upload the data to the bump server, and it be downloaded onto the recipient's device. That is hardly ideal. I could tap my phone against another Android phone and transfer a 1gb file in 3 min. Using your method (if bump even allows files that large), you'd have to wait a long time while that 1gb file uploads, then the recipient would have to wait for that 1gb file to download. Bear in mind you don't have LTE, so if you're on a cellular connection that's going to be one painfully slow process. Again, that's some half-baked attempt at replicating the same functionality to try to imitate an actual feature. Bottom line is iOS doesn't have that feature.

For what purpose?
For integrating whatever app I want in the OS. What if I don't like the Facebook app? Maybe when I click share, I don't want to use the facebook app but instead want to use Friendcaster. Integrating any app I want into the OS allows me the flexibility of using what I want. So instead of being limited to Twitter and Facebook, I can have linkedin, friendcaster, or any other app I want. So from anywhere in the OS I can post to those things because it's integrated into the OS.

For what purpose? Give examples.
It allows apps to interact with each other. For example, I was using the facebook app and someone posted a picture of a statue that had some misinformation in the caption. I tapped the picture, tapped share, and tapped Google Goggles, which instantly scanned the picture I was looking at and returned results for the picture. This gave me the information I was looking for. My Facebook app and my Google Goggles app were able to work together and communicate to get my information I needed.

Yes I can. Goodreader for iPhone lets me download and manage files (unzip, unrar, etc) and can even share them between Dropbox, etc. It's min purpose is for reading PDFs but it does this too.
Yet another half-baked work around to attempt to achieve something that is lacking in the OS. No that doesn't accomplish the same thing. I'm sorry but it simply isn't. Besides, the average person won't know to go get Goodreader, which is a pdf reader app, and use that as a workaround to download a file. As stated before, iOS is lacking the feature that's the bottom line. You said iOS has every feature when that obviously is not the case.

Keep going.

I think I've noted enough things to make my point, but here's a couple more for you: Send a file over bluetooth, Wifi Direct, Manage your data use, Allow any app I choose to use background data, and facial recognition (and I don't mean face unlock, I mean where your phone can learn people's faces, so if you take a picture of that person or have a picture of that person, your phone will know who they are).
----------

Please tell me how you would notice a difference between the A15 and A9. You keep bringing this up but the difference that an average consumer would notice is minimal at best.
The a15 is noticeably faster. On an iPhone you wouldn't notice the difference because you're only dealing with a grid of icons and no multitasking. On a system where several things can run concurrently and several things can be active on a home screen at once, the additional horsepower is ostensible.
2GB of RAM. That's a legitimate argument because more apps and such can be open. That's fine.
Right.

Screen size is a legitimate argument, but the fact that it was upped .3 inches isn't noticeable. Maybe the ppi difference between the S2 and S3 is, but that's all. The 4S still has the highest ppi.
It's actually quite noticeable. The 4S can have the highest ppi, however it's at the point that ppi makes no difference anyway. The thing you have to remember is over 300ppi the human eye can't discern individual pixels anyway, so anything over 300ppi is overkill. That said, the GS3 is 306ppi, over the 300ppi threshold, so the whole ppi argument goes out the window. 326ppi (iPhone) is no better than 306 (GS3), because after 300ppi the human eye can't discern a difference anyway.

NFC isn't anything amazing. It can only transfer data between another NFC Android device which is a downfall and isn't widespread enough for things like payments. iPhone will get it this year so maybe we'll see an increase is usage and NFC enabled places after it's released.
Yet, there are enough NFC enabled devices now where it can come in handy. Everyone in my household has an NFC enabled phone, and so do the majority of my relatives. At the 4th of July cookout, it was nice to be able to tap phones to exchange our new numbers and email addresses. That's much better than doing it manually. Regarding the purchasing part of NFC, see the above NFC related statement. Also, you're forgetting NFC also can be used for device automation. You can have an NFC sticker in your car cradle that turns on Pandora, turns up the volume, and puts the phone in "car mode", all by just sitting the phone in the cradle.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Wow batting... wow...

For what purpose? Did you really ask that seriously? That confirms to me that you just don't see past iOS...

Igentleman it's not worth it. Leave him alone. After reading "for what purpose" there's no need to keep trying...

And saying iOS had the same features as Android also proves you have zero idea what your talking about. I won't even bother answering you since then your will say "for what purpose?" or "no one needs that" or some other BS.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Not false. You cannot make any adjustments to your camera. The most you can do is set it to HDR mode. You can't turn down the megapixels if you don't want to take an 8mp picture. You can't adjust the ISO if you want to (and no the iPhone doesn't always select the best ISO setting). You have absolutely no flexibility at all in the camera app.

The iPhone is for the mainstream consumer and this is obvious. If you feel the need to change the ISO (most don't even know what this is) or for some reason change the MP the picture is, you need a DSLR or any camera that's not a phone. It's obvious the iPhone still takes amazing pictures without all that nonsense.

I said you can't send more than one file type in an attachment in one email. Send a pdf and a picture in the same email. You can't. You'd have to send two emails to do it. In my line of work, that is unacceptable.

Ok, that's fine. But it begs the question: How is the iPhone crushing Android in enterprise use if doing the above is tedious and / or unacceptable?

Flash still works and is still available for Jellybean. Keep holding out hope...maybe it won't work in Key Lime Pie lol.

It should still work with Android 4.2. :)

So because you can't do it, it's unnecessary? That's some interesting logic you've got there. Sending something to cloud storage doesn't do you any good if the computer you are on doesn't have an internet connection. In my line of work, we have to get computers up and connected. Sometimes that requires loading drivers onto a computer. I can't do that if I can't mount my phone as storage. Your method simply would not work. This is a great example of what I meant at the top, when I said you provided some half baked attempts at workarounds to gain something you hope would resemble the same functionality. It's not the same. iOS doesn't have this feature, period point blank.

How is it half baked? It's the same exact thing you just don't connect your phone to the computer? When would you be on a work computer without an internet connection?

You call it insignificant, I call it quite nice to have. The rest having to be rooted makes no difference. The bottom line is the functionality is available on the Android platform, whereas it isn't on iOS. Remember, you said iOS has every feature Android has.....that obviously was incorrect, as illustrated on this post and the one before it.

What if the area you're in, such as a subway, has bad signal and therefore can't get information about the incoming train?

Living in a major city, I have used it many times. My doctor's office has Paypass, some gas stations have it at the pump, plenty of fast food restaurants, drugs stores, best buy, grocery store, and footlocker to name a few places I've used it. True enough it isn't mainstream, but I definitely use it. Also, this isn't about how widespread it is...again, you staid iOS has every feature Android does...again this obviously is not the case.

It is the case because iOS 6 has Passbook and the new iPhone will surely have NFC. I guess it just depends where you live. Few places around me in Florida have the equipment to pay using NFC.

No, you can't. That isn't even close to being the same thing. Your solution really has nothing to do with tapping the phones. It's just a peer to peer app. Your solution requires you to upload the data to the bump server, and it be downloaded onto the recipient's device. That is hardly ideal. I could tap my phone against another Android phone and transfer a 1gb file in 3 min. Using your method (if bump even allows files that large), you'd have to wait a long time while that 1gb file uploads, then the recipient would have to wait for that 1gb file to download. Bear in mind you don't have LTE, so if you're on a cellular connection that's going to be one painfully slow process. Again, that's some half-baked attempt at replicating the same functionality to try to imitate an actual feature. Bottom line is iOS doesn't have that feature.

Doesn't matter how fast or slow it is, the functionality is still there. You "bump" the two phones together and the data is sent. How is that so different? Besides, have you even tried the app to see how slow or fast it really is? Doubt it.

For integrating whatever app I want in the OS. What if I don't like the Facebook app? Maybe when I click share, I don't want to use the facebook app but instead want to use Friendcaster. Integrating any app I want into the OS allows me the flexibility of using what I want. So instead of being limited to Twitter and Facebook, I can have linkedin, friendcaster, or any other app I want. So from anywhere in the OS I can post to those things because it's integrated into the OS.

It allows apps to interact with each other. For example, I was using the facebook app and someone posted a picture of a statue that had some misinformation in the caption. I tapped the picture, tapped share, and tapped Google Goggles, which instantly scanned the picture I was looking at and returned results for the picture. This gave me the information I was looking for. My Facebook app and my Google Goggles app were able to work together and communicate to get my information I needed.

Ok, I'll give you that one.

Yet another half-baked work around to attempt to achieve something that is lacking in the OS. No that doesn't accomplish the same thing. I'm sorry but it simply isn't. Besides, the average person won't know to go get Goodreader, which is a pdf reader app, and use that as a workaround to download a file. As stated before, iOS is lacking the feature that's the bottom line. You said iOS has every feature when that obviously is not the case.

Again, how is it half baked? It does the same thing. It let's you manage files and do actions such as unraring and unzipping. It's not a hidden feature; it's stated right in the description. Managing files isn't really built into Android either. You have to download an app (Like Astro or EZ File manager) to manage files on your SD card and such. Sure you can do it, but it's not built in.

I think I've noted enough things to make my point, but here's a couple more for you: Send a file over bluetooth, Wifi Direct, Manage your data use, Allow any app I choose to use background data, and facial recognition (and I don't mean face unlock, I mean where your phone can learn people's faces, so if you take a picture of that person or have a picture of that person, your phone will know who they are).

Send a file over bluetooth? Yep: itunes.apple.com/us/app/bluetooth-u/id526268815?mt=8

WiFi direct: Coming in the next iPhone, but unnecessary. Never met or seen anyone actually use that.

Manage data use? Yep: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-data-manager/id477865384?mt=8

Have an app use background data? That just uses up battery life and uses up your data.

Facial recognition? Explain how this would be useful / make something easier to do.

----------

Yet, there are enough NFC enabled devices now where it can come in handy. Everyone in my household has an NFC enabled phone, and so do the majority of my relatives. At the 4th of July cookout, it was nice to be able to tap phones to exchange our new numbers and email addresses. That's much better than doing it manually.

I can do this with Bump.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
Using this S3 and 4S side by side i can see some major things missing.

Widgets!
Live Wallpapers
Chrome as a browser (not the gimped ios version)
Gmail Sync
ROMS!
Better text input and user changeable keyboard apps
Google Navigation and all of the Maps apps that Android has.
Full customisation
4.8" v 3.5" screen
Quad core 1.4ghz v 800mhz dual core
1GB ram v 512mb
SD card 16GB for £6!!! v £100 for 16GB on iPhone
Spare battery option
50GB free drop box
Swipe unlock

This is just what i have found so far. Im sure there is more to android.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Widgets! - Battery wasters, I can go into the app and get the information I need just as quick as an Android user can go to the widget. App provides more info than widget.

Live Wallpapers - Waste battery, slow down the home screen and launching apps

Chrome as a browser (not the gimped ios version) - Gimped? The iOS version can run on more devices than the Android version. Isn't that sad? Either way, it has the exact same features so I'm not sure how it's gimped.

Gmail Sync - Uh, I can get Gmail on my iPhone. There's an app for it or I can use the built in Mail app.

ROMS! - Have to root for this which you risk bricking your phone. Not for the average consumer so this is not user friendly.

Better text input and user changeable keyboard apps - How does it have better text support? I've had 3 Android devices and thought my typing was faster and more accurate on the iPhone. The Android phones couldn't keep up with my typing (HTC Evo, Nexus S 4G, Epic 4G Touch).

Google Navigation and all of the Maps apps that Android has - iOS has turn-by-turn as well, in addition to TomTom, Garmin, Waze, etc. (iOS has pretty much the same Map apps so I'm not sure where you pulled this one from).

Full customisation - "Meh" to me because I can't be bothered to theme this and theme that, change this keyboard, change that icon, etc, although I do know there are people that this matters to. Changing my wallpaper is good enough for me. I like spending more time in my apps than worrying about the theme of my home screen, etc.

4.8" v 3.5" screen - 4.8 is way too big to me, but 4 inches is perfect so I'll be all over the new iPhone.

Quad core 1.4ghz v 800mhz dual core - You wouldn't notice a difference except for in graphics. iOS is already fast so even if the iPhone was quad-core, it wouldn't be huge. Apps might open a half second faster, but that's all.

1GB ram v 512mb - Again, iOS is already smooth and manages background apps and data fine so more RAM isn't a big deal, although it would be fine to have.

SD card 16GB for £6!!! v £100 for 16GB on iPhone - Can't comment on pricing, but when you choose a storage amount, it's usually more than enough for most people.

Spare battery option - Unnecessary on iPhone. Battery never has to be removed and put back in. If you need more power, get a Mophie. If you need a new battery, will will replace it for free within your warranty.

50GB free drop box - for two years. After two years, you don't get to keep it. Who needs 50GB anyway, especially when you have your SD card in your S3 or 64GB storage on your iPhone.

Swipe unlock - Uh, iPhone has this. What's so amazing about it?

My opinions above which correlate with why iOS works better for me.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
My opinions above which correlate with why iOS works better for me.

Originally Posted by pandamonia

Widgets! - Battery wasters, I can go into the app and get the information I need just as quick as an Android user can go to the widget. App provides more info than widget. Err no you cant! i can see 4 different apps on my widget page giving me info and updates including the weather on my homescreen[/I]

Live Wallpapers - Waste battery, slow down the home screen and launching apps i have used 30% battery all day so i guess thats wrong. Also seems fast as ever in the S3

Chrome as a browser (not the gimped ios version) - Gimped? The iOS version can run on more devices than the Android version. Isn't that sad? Either way, it has the exact same features so I'm not sure how it's gimped. YES it IS. it cant get access to the low level API that it needs like i can on Android.

Gmail Sync - Uh, I can get Gmail on my iPhone. There's an app for it or I can use the built in Mail app. im not talking about Just Gmail. My google account seems to sync up chrome with my mac and also othet stuff too

ROMS! - Have to root for this which you risk bricking your phone. Not for the average consumer so this is not user friendly. I rooted my S3 in 5 mins and its fine? never did it before either

Better text input and user changeable keyboard apps - How does it have better text support? I've had 3 Android devices and thought my typing was faster and more accurate on the iPhone. The Android phones couldn't keep up with my typing (HTC Evo, Nexus S 4G, Epic 4G Touch). iOS keyboard sux and predictive text is terrible if nearly non existant

Google Navigation and all of the Maps apps that Android has - iOS has turn-by-turn as well, in addition to TomTom, Garmin, Waze, etc. (iOS has pretty much the same Map apps so I'm not sure where you pulled this one from). iOS doesnt have navigation or Sat Nav unless you buy one on the app store

Full customisation - "Meh" to me because I can't be bothered to theme this and theme that, change this keyboard, change that icon, etc, although I do know there are people that this matters to. Changing my wallpaper is good enough for me. I like spending more time in my apps than worrying about the theme of my home screen, etc. Boring iOS needs some sort of customisation

4.8" v 3.5" screen - 4.8 is way too big to me, but 4 inches is perfect so I'll be all over the new iPhone. Stretched out 4" screen might not be that good

Quad core 1.4ghz v 800mhz dual core - You wouldn't notice a difference except for in graphics. iOS is already fast so even if the iPhone was quad-core, it wouldn't be huge. Apps might open a half second faster, but that's all.
"600mhz makes a big difference in power and so does 4 cores v 2

1GB ram v 512mb - Again, iOS is already smooth and manages background apps and data fine so more RAM isn't a big deal, although it would be fine to have. Ram is everything. thats why the new iPAd has more!

SD card 16GB for £6!!! v £100 for 16GB on iPhone - Can't comment on pricing, but when you choose a storage amount, it's usually more than enough for most people. Lol so paying £100 for 32gb is a good deal? my iPhone has 16gb used now so i now need 32gb.. so now im looking at £100 more for more space

Spare battery option - Unnecessary on iPhone. Battery never has to be removed and put back in. If you need more power, get a Mophie. If you need a new battery, will will replace it for free within your warranty. the battery loses its capacity about 14 months after and then your screwed. it gets worse too.

50GB free drop box - for two years. After two years, you don't get to keep it. Who needs 50GB anyway, especially when you have your SD card in your S3 or 64GB storage on your iPhone. its free for 2 years thats better than nothing

Swipe unlock - Uh, iPhone has this. What's so amazing about it? never seen the pattern unlock? ios pin input is a pain

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Err no you cant! i can see 4 different apps on my widget page giving me info and updates including the weather on my homescreen[/I

I can see the weather on my home screen as well. I can also pull down my notifiction center to see the widget. That's two ways. Or I can click the Weather app on my front screen. That takes like 0.0001 second more than checking a widget.

i have used 30% battery all day so i guess thats wrong. Also seems fast as ever in the S3

Depends on the device and the battery.

YES it IS. it cant get access to the low level API that it needs like i can on Android.

What's that supposed to mean? I'm not talking about API -wise because they're on two different platforms. Functionality-wise, they are identical.

im not talking about Just Gmail. My google account seems to sync up chrome with my mac and also othet stuff too

Ok and Chrome on my PC syncs with Chrome on my iPhone and iPad. What's your point?

I rooted my S3 in 5 mins and its fine? never did it before either

Depends on the type of person you are. Go ask Joe Schmoe in Walmart if he knows what rooting is and how you do it.

iOS keyboard sux and predictive text is terrible if nearly non existant

How does it suck? I type pretty fast and rarely every have issues. Who cares about predictive text? Why do I want the phone predicting what I'm gonna say? I could type the word out quicker than checking to see if it knows what I'm gonna say.

iOS doesnt have navigation or Sat Nav unless you buy one on the app store

Oh, ok. I guess Apple was just kidding when they announced turn-by-turn last month for iOS 6. :rolleyes:

Boring iOS needs some sort of customisation

No, because then it'd be copying Android and people would scream that Apple is a copy cat.

Stretched out 4" screen might not be that good

Why's that? The S3 is a taller S2. Until the 5 is released and we can see if it's only taller, everything is just a rumor. I don't see why a taller screen is such a bad thing.

"600mhz makes a big difference in power and so does 4 cores v 2

Prove that the S3 is faster than the 4S in everyday usage, not those benchmarks.

Ram is everything. thats why the new iPAd has more!

And as you can see, that 1GB does nothing but allow for more Safari tabs or more open apps. iOS on the new iPad is just as smooth and fast as it is on the iPad 2 and 4S.

Lol so paying £100 for 32gb is a good deal? my iPhone has 16gb used now so i now need 32gb.. so now im looking at £100 more for more space

Should've bought a bigger size then. You could've also tried selling your phone and buying the 32GB model if you needed more. I'm in the US so I don't know how much a euro is.

the battery loses its capacity about 14 months after and then your screwed. it gets worse too.

Apple will usually replace it once for free. If not you can always pay them to do it or go to a site like iResQ and they'll replace it for less than 50 bucks.

its free for 2 years thats better than nothing

I'm sure you've used it more than once lol

never seen the pattern unlock? ios pin input is a pain

Oh, and putting in a pattern isn't? Inputting a pin on Android is the same thing too, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.