Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would be a useful online form(s) for our online MRioKart Racing League to take?

• This thread is good enough

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • Web page

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • Wiki

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Bulletin Board (Forums)

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Chat Room

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Mailing list

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Yeah, I'm unable to register my DS with Nintendo's site for the stat tracking, and earlier today I couldn't find any players on worldwide, but that seems to be working great now.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Logos

I was playing around with photoshop and made some logos. Since the MacRumors logo on the site is un-copy-able I traced it in Illustator and used it in the logo. Here's a big and small version. I sort of like the text lowercase, but I can change it if needed, just some rough work for now.

I can't wait to play Mario Kart DS online...come on Nintendo...put up more servers! :D

Attachments

• mario-kart-ds-logo-big.gif
    mario-kart-ds-logo-big.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 712
  • mario-kart-ds-logo-small.gif
    mario-kart-ds-logo-small.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 839

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
It's not working for you? Works fine here, if you give it a minute or two to find some players (granted, it should find them much faster) and set up the game.

Agilus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Massachusetts
TheGimp said:
Can anyone tell me whether I can use my DS tunneling through Powerbook ethernet connection via the airport card? Or do I have to own a standalone router such as Airport Base Station? I hope I can because it would be a shame to have to spend over $100 just to play Mario Kart, when xlink kai let's me play my PSP online with my current setup.

Sorry if this is off topic, but I already searched the wifi thread and didn't see any answers to this question.

Thanks

and if any of you manage to pull yourselves away from the game itself in order to share your online impressions, either in this or in another thread, I'd be happy to read them.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get MK to work with my Mac mini's internet sharing. The DS could see the wireless network, but it was complaining about not being able to connect because it was either too far away or couldn't get an IP from DHCP. Instead of messing with it all night, I took the easier route and just switched my router to use WEP.

As for my impressions of the games I played online with Praxis last night, I'd have to say that the experience was great. The only thing that I missed was being able to talk to him between games, because I would have enjoyed going over some of the highlights. It was definitely exciting, and playing against a worthy competitor (as opposed to the computer) is always fun. I think it's really cool to see different people's strategies and strengths (for instance, Praxis was very good at nailing me with green shells and bananas, especially when he was ahead), and I'm excited because, even at this early stage in the game, I'm beginning to see the higher-level strategic thinking that will go into each race as we all get better.

As for the gameplay differences induced by certain missing items and a lack of item dragging, I'd have to say that it didn't bother me. It just felt like a different mode, sort of like a Double Dash mode. Playing this way just requires different strategy, and the same timed item dropping skill required in MK: DD.

As an aside, I think I love the overhead map. I can't use it that effectively yet, but it's a great aid, and a suitable replacement for a rear-view mirror (although toggling to one would have been a nice addition).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I dont get this! you americans had NWC from last week right? and Mario Kart came out on Monday. we get Tony Hawks in just 2 days and the UK wifi page is redirecting to the big Nintendo site! gah!

Its a shame I won't be playing Mario Kart yet. I've been looking forward to this. anyone getting Tony Hawks? if all goes well i'll have this on Saturday.

I want my DS friend code :(

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
I think I'm going to buy this game today. I'm hoping the graphics are at least somewhat better than they appeared in IGN movies which made MK's 3D look like Space Harrier quality, but if it's fluid and fun that'll be the deal keeper.

I'll bet I can get MK to work with my airport card in sharing mode. If all MK is doing is going on the internet and not using an adhoc mode to tunnel, as does the PSP through xlink, then there should be no problem.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
TheGimp said:
I think I'm going to buy this game today. I'm hoping the graphics are at least somewhat better than they appeared in IGN movies which made MK's 3D look like Space Harrier quality, but if it's fluid and fun that'll be the deal keeper.

I'll bet I can get MK to work with my airport card in sharing mode. If all MK is doing is going on the internet and not using an adhoc mode to tunnel, as does the PSP through xlink, then there should be no problem.
The 3D is really great and it's smooth. I can't get my DS to work via AirPort sharing. Maybe you'll have better luck. My Airport won't give my DS an IP.

Agilus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Massachusetts
My powerbook worked fine with my Mac mini sharing. I don't know why my DS had trouble. My best guess right now is that my Mac mini has a wireless G card, and the DS uses B, as I have seen people on various sites saying the DS only works with B. This doesn't explain to me why the DS could -see- the Mac mini network, but I'm not an expert on how wireless technology works. :)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Last night I finally got the Wi-Fi connection to work. My username is "Mac" and my little emblem is the Mac OS smile (which came out very nice). I'll be home in a few hours, it'll be fun to play online with some MR buddies. :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Agilus said:
My powerbook worked fine with my Mac mini sharing. I don't know why my DS had trouble. My best guess right now is that my Mac mini has a wireless G card, and the DS uses B, as I have seen people on various sites saying the DS only works with B. This doesn't explain to me why the DS could -see- the Mac mini network, but I'm not an expert on how wireless technology works. :)
I don't think it's an issue with the hardware. I just don't know how to tweak the DHCP settings in Internet Sharing so that the Airport gives your DS an IP address that it can use. My DS had no trouble seeing the network I made for it. DHCP just wouldn't give it an IP address.

mechamac

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2003
For anyone on a problematic Netgear router (like mine, a WGR614, no v# after the name) you have to give the DS a static IP address. Here's the setting I got on another forum:

DS IP: 192.168.0.5 set static and in the DMZ

And in the DS:
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0
IP: 192.168.0.5 (This has to match the IP you gave it in the router)
DNS1: 4.2.2.2
DNS2: 4.2.2.3

This worked for me, I hope it helps other folks. Online is a real blast, though I wish I could tell my fellow players "good game" at the end of a race. This is great!

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
I'll be online tonight around 6:00 PM EST. I won't stay very long because Square-Enix was cruel enough to release Dragon Quest VIII at the same time as Mario Kart. I'll have to share my time between those 2 games… 3 games if I count Wild Arms: Alter code F that also was released today. So many games, so little time.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
srobert said:
I'll be online tonight around 6:00 PM EST. I won't stay very long because Square-Enix was cruel enough to release Dragon Quest VIII at the same time as Mario Kart. I'll have to share my time between those 2 games… 3 games if I count Wild Arms: Alter code F that also was released today. So many games, so little time.
Awesome I'll see yah there then. You can IM me on iChat around game time to make sure everyone's setup to go. :D

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Good game LimeiBook86 (Mac). We're about the same level. Makes for very fun races. Let's play again very soon. ichat was very useful between races. Highly recommended!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
God so many toys I dont where to start. Can aspiring Mac switchers like myself join in on the fun; although I gotta wait another full week though before I can join.

2 DS' coming on next paycheque, and MarioKart DS along with NintendoDogs.

I still cannot think of dark yet cool name for myself.

PS, there is some control the the friend code, you can shut down your own somehow I read at will from the site so nobody can find you nor add you to their list. I'm almost positive its there. Several members there on NintendoNSider forums like myself many months ago had a very good input on cautioning just local WiFi gameplay for the younger crowd - to keep them safe from those sickos!! Look me up on that site, I'm Panthro.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
IIRC, you can't play with someone unless you both add each other to your respective lists. You can't see if the other person is online unless you both are on each other's lists, and you can't see who has added you, and you can't chat period, so really there is nothing a sicko can do.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I got mine earlier today, taking advantage that I'm this week in Delaware (no sales tax) + a $5 off coupon at Circuit City.

Too bad the hotel I'm staying in has Wireless connection, but its one of those connection where you first have to login on a web page before you can access anything on the net... so the MK: DS connection is not working for me :(

I'll post my Friend code here in 1 1/2 weeks, when I'm back home and (hopefully) able to connect.:D

Agilus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Massachusetts
It's good to see more players are joining! I had no friends to play against last night when I got on at 10:30. Instead, I played a couple rounds of regional games, and then played a battle mode against 7 bots on Block Fort. Holy cow. Even though the bots were easy to beat on the default difficulty setting, it was still really fun. The level was my favorite in the N64 version of MK, and it still is. The red shells behave differently, but it's still awesome. I'll have to see how the other battle mode levels measure up.

Man, I need to find some real life MK DS players to play against.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Help me get online

Please help me connect the DS to my PowerMac. It has an Airport card, I have selected Internet Sharing and Personal Web Sharing but the DS does not find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.