Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would be a useful online form(s) for our online MRioKart Racing League to take?

• This thread is good enough

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • Web page

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • Wiki

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Bulletin Board (Forums)

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Chat Room

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Mailing list

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters

flamedraconis

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2005
Just wondering

Sorry I am new...but I was just wondering if someone could walk me through how to set up the wireless play. This is because I tried and it said I needed a WEP key and then I typed the key in and then another error came up that said it could still not access the point. I would really like to play some of you so any help would be great. Thank you

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
Add me to the list!

Friend Code:

I hate people who quit the game simply because they're losing....so far, it's happened twice!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
0s and 1s said:
Add me to the list!

Friend Code:

I hate people who quit the game simply because they're losing....so far, it's happened twice!

IIRC, Nintendo makes it so that if someone quits in the game it counts as a loss for them and win for you.

But I hate it too.

NerdBoy

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Why do you need to know?
GFLPraxis said:
IIRC, Nintendo makes it so that if someone quits in the game it counts as a loss for them and win for you.

That kinda stinks. Once, I accidentally turned off the power when I reached for the D-pad, and now my WFC record says I have 6 losses!!! SIX!!!:mad:

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Flowbee's your friend:

Name: Flowbee
Timezone: Pacific (U.S.)

PS - I really suck at this game... but it's so addictive!

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
Just wanted to let anyone who's interested know that I finally managed to play online using just the airport extreme card in my powerbook. I posted exactly what I did in the other Mariokart thread.

My friend code is 206218

handle:aphex

MarioFan83

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2005
I want in!!!

Really hope this league gets off the ground cuz playing people from all over is sweet but playing people you can post to later is all the more rewarding.

DS Username:Tinman
DS Friend Code:030124 362897

Hope to see some of you on the track.

Agilus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Massachusetts
I just added the people who posted thier friend codes (0s and 1s, TheGimp, Flowbee, and Tinman). I'll be searching for friend games probably throughout the next hour, so I hope to see you! I've had bad luck finding friends online over the past 2 days, but I figure it's just because we don't have a very big group yet. However, maybe we should start organizing "weekly racing hours" or something?

My suggestions for Weekly Racing Hours:

Monday 10-11 EST.
Wednesday 10-11 EST.
Thursday 10-11 EST.
Sunday 4-6 EST.

Sound like a good idea? Anyone else have some time suggestions? I'm just suggesting some times that I will try to check if I am interested in some action with friends.

NerdBoy

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Why do you need to know?
Agilus said:
I just added the people who posted thier friend codes (0s and 1s, TheGimp, Flowbee, and Tinman). I'll be searching for friend games probably throughout the next hour, so I hope to see you! I've had bad luck finding friends online over the past 2 days, but I figure it's just because we don't have a very big group yet. However, maybe we should start organizing "weekly racing hours" or something?

Monday 10-11 EST.
Wednesday 10-11 EST.
Thursday 10-11 EST.
Sunday 4-6 EST.

Sound like a good idea? Anyone else have some time suggestions? I'm just suggesting some times that I will try to check if I am interested in some action with friends.

Since i only have time to play on weekends (fri-sun) we should do about 3-5 PM on friday EST, and 10-11 AM on saturday and sunday EST.

also, i've entered the friend codes for everyone on the list, but only Agilus's works! What's wrong?

NerdBoy

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Why do you need to know?
wait, it says that "if you still see this screen after registering each other's codes and connecting to the WFC, please check your friend codes for accuracy." does that mean, for the friend codes to work, both people have to register the other person's code? :confused:

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
NerdBoy said:
wait, it says that "if you still see this screen after registering each other's codes and connecting to the WFC, please check your friend codes for accuracy." does that mean, for the friend codes to work, both people have to register the other person's code? :confused:

I believe that's how it works.

Agilus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Massachusetts
NerdBoy said:

That's right. However, but don't worry too much. There's a lot of people on my friends list that are unconfirmed, and I figure it's because I just haven't run into them online yet.

By the way, I'll try to be on at 10:00 EST. Hope to see you there!

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
Agilus said:

Monday 10-11 EST.
Wednesday 10-11 EST.
Thursday 10-11 EST.
Sunday 4-6 EST.

Thanks for adding me. I also added you, along with a dozen or so others who posted their friend codes in this and the other MK thread. I too have not had much success finding those "friends" online, but perhaps that is because many of those had not already registered my friend code by the time I conducted my last search for them (last night, EST). I'll look again tonight (sometime between 8PM and 11PM est)

cheers

Agilus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Massachusetts
I really need to set up an IRC server. Anyone know a good place to chat in the meantime?

[edit] (@ 9:25)
I'm going to take a break for 30 minutes to play Tales of Symphonia with my wife. I'll be back soon!

By the way, good games Aphex. I enjoyed playing. :)

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
Agilus said:
I really need to set up an IRC server. Anyone know a good place to chat in the meantime?

[edit] (@ 9:25)
I'm going to take a break for 30 minutes to play Tales of Symphonia with my wife. I'll be back soon!

By the way, good games Aphex. I enjoyed playing. :)

Thanks Severian, that was fun. It was also the first time I was able to connect to a friend from the list.

BTW- does anyone know whether it's possible for two friends, once connected, to be joined by any of the other friends in subsequent races? That way if only 2 friends manage to hook up, they're no obligated to play too many 2 player games. It seems to me that the only option after a series of 4 races, is to either "continue" or "quit", where doing the former simply starts a new grand prix without looking for other friends, and choosing the latter seems to just disconnect the two friends and make them each start from scratch if they want to hook up again with more people.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I just got my copy. :)

My friend code is: 300707 428150

My nickname is Michael. My time zone is Pacific.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
TOMORROW! me and my sister get our copies tomorrow. 3 days before the official UK launch. so i just need to know;

how do I set up a wifi account? how do i get my friend number? and how many friends can I add? :) i want all you guys on here. most likely my Mario Kart addicted mate Tom will be using my sisters cart to play online. so if it says 'Nicole' and shes in 1st place then its Tom ;)... OR! can you have multiple accounts?

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
raggedjimmi said:
TOMORROW! me and my sister get our copies tomorrow. 3 days before the official UK launch. so i just need to know;

how do I set up a wifi account? how do i get my friend number? and how many friends can I add? :) i want all you guys on here. most likely my Mario Kart addicted mate Tom will be using my sisters cart to play online. so if it says 'Nicole' and shes in 1st place then its Tom ;)... OR! can you have multiple accounts?

You don't need to register online on order to obtain a friend code and play online, but I believe registering online has some additional benefits, such as allowing you to link your DS and web accounts for the purpose of synching stats or something.

Anyway, you can add all your friends and view your own friend code before you actually connect to nintendo wifi with the DS.
Just select "Nintendo WFC" from main menu, then select "Friend Code". "Confirm Friend Code" tells you your own code and "Register Friend Code" is where you enter the friend codes and nicknames of others. Simple as that.

After you connect to Nintendo WIFI from a valid access point, you can toggle the lower parameter to "friends" and begin searching. You won't find anyone, however, until both you and the respective friend have entered each others codes. Thus for your first several online games you will most likely play strangers.

As far as I know, there is no real limit to the number of friends you can add. I say "no real" because it MIGHT in fact limit you to something like 999 or 9999 or whatever, but you can always remove friends at any time, just as easily as you added them.

As for actually getting online with the DS, it should be easy provided to have a supported router. As I mentioned elsewhere, I am able to play online with no lag or snags using just the airport extreme card in my powerbook. If you happen to own one of the airport base stations, then the process should be easier for you.

Good luck (I'm sure it won't take any) connecting.
I'm in the US, EST, so chances are we won't be playing at the same time, but in any case:
my MK handle: aphex
friend code: 206218

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
TheGimp said:
Good luck (I'm sure it won't take any) connecting.
I'm in the US, EST, so chances are we won't be playing at the same time, but in any case...

HAH! expect me to be playing at any time in the day. I find myself waking up at 4am sometimes just desperate to get a highscore on Nanostray or whatever.
im home from university, i wont be in tomorrow either. so thats it. it will be here to soon. about 14-15 hours off.
I have a popular wireless router so i should be sorted. its a BT Voyager 2100. if its worth anything, it took about 10 seconds to plug in and get my powerbook and windows laptop connected. hopefully the DS will be as easy!
all you lucky sods. all with your mario kart.

oh yea another question. how many karts are unlockable? From looking at the Mario site it looked like there was 2; regular and extra. please say I assumed wrong.

NerdBoy

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Why do you need to know?
what would be really great, is if we could have our own web site! that way we could have a special email address to email to sign up, and we could move this thread off the forum once it gets up to a zillion pages. It would be easier to schedule races, too. I'll see what I can do. Even a .Mac homepage would work!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.