Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
DougTheImpaler said:
How did you get IE 5 running on 7.6.1? I thought for sure it was 8.1 and later only...

Well, you're mistaken...

ie5.jpg

Visit the site in my signature to find out more.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Logging in with Powerbook 520c

This Powerbook was running System 7.5 with Netscape Navigator 0.94 installed when I first attempted this. Most pages refused to load with this early browser including Macrumors and even Google. Next stage upgrade to 7.6.1 and the newest browser that I could find that is available for 68K Macs - I.E. 4.0.8. It installed ok but would not run due to a lack of system resources. Then I tried Netscape 3.0.1 which demanded too much RAM. Finally I installed I.E. 2.1 this seems to be running ok within 5 MB of RAM and it loads and renders pages reasonably well including this site. Respect to anyone who can log in and post a screen shot on this site with a lesser Mac than this running less than 12MB RAM :cool:

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Ok, this is embarrassing the screen shot doesn’t seem to have uploaded using my PB 520. So here it is posted with something a little more modern :eek:

Attachments

• screen 1.jpg
    screen 1.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 229

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Thats pretty awesome...

I liked IE 2 because it didnt give java errors, displays pages good enough to "read" them... and doesnt have popups either!

corbin_a2

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
I am posting from an orginal Bondi blue iMac G3 version A. It is running on the bare minimum 128MB ram for OS X. It is actually very usable if you stick to one open program like Safari.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 252

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
here is my Beige G3 AIO in OS 9.2.2

BeigeG3AIO.jpg

Desktop.jpg

i will post a pic booted in OS X 10.2.8 soon. the rest of the spec's are in my sig
i had to crop the pic to take out the other monitor cause i do run 2 monitors the built in one on the onboard rage pro with 6mb vram, and the pic above is the external monitor hooked to the ATI Radeon 7000 Mac Edition it does run nice

right now im useing Wamcom mozilla 1.3.1. this browser dows have FPS scroll problems it dont scroll as smoth as IE does tho but it is way faster on loading pages and downloading

i have OS 9.2.2 looking like OS X in a way by useing Kaleidoscope wich is nice and have power windows installed.

Pierre Films

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2004
Here are some screenshots I took of my Powerbook 2400c :cool:.
Running Mac OS 7.6.1

Click on the thumbnail to see the full size image. :)

Pierre Films

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Pierre Films said:
Here are some screenshots I took of my Powerbook 2400c :cool:.
Running Mac OS 7.6.1

Click on the thumbnail to see the full size image. :)

Pierre Films

very nice.... it looks so modern.... seems like that machine can multi-task well.

Pierre Films

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2004
macEfan said:
very nice.... it looks so modern.... seems like that machine can multi-task well.

For some things, yes. Its a great machine. Fast, ultra-portable, great 10.4" LCD. It has to be my favorite Powerbook. I think the Tiger wallpaper gives it a super-cool retro/modern look. System 7 feels like the OS X of classic. It almost never freezes, no extension errors, simple yet nice user interface, very fast and snappy on pre-G3 hardware, no mess. I much prefer the borderless windows of System 7 over Mac OS 8 or 9. Its sort of what OS X has become. Back to basics. I'd definately check out dpaanlka's great site and forum: System7Today which is what led me to install Mac OS 7.6.1 on my 2400c.

madmax_2069 said:
what program are you useing for that wire 3d car model

Amapi 2. Great 3D app. You can find tons of older graphics, 3D, and video editing software for System 7 on eBay. I think a lot of people are starting to clear out their old computer "junk"...which is good for me. :)

Pierre Films

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Pierre Films said:
For some things, yes. Its a great machine. Fast, ultra-portable, great 10.4" LCD. It has to be my favorite Powerbook. I think the Tiger wallpaper gives it a super-cool retro/modern look. System 7 feels like the OS X of classic. It almost never freezes, no extension errors, simple yet nice user interface, very fast and snappy on pre-G3 hardware, no mess. I much prefer the borderless windows of System 7 over Mac OS 8 or 9. Its sort of what OS X has become. Back to basics. I'd definately check out dpaanlka's great site and forum: System7Today which is what led me to install Mac OS 7.6.1 on my 2400c.

Amapi 2. Great 3D app. You can find tons of older graphics, 3D, and video editing software for System 7 on eBay. I think a lot of people are starting to clear out their old computer "junk"...which is good for me. :)

Pierre Films

i checked out that site, and it looks good. I also have some macs running system 7, including a centris 610,and an LC II.... used to have it on a performa 6400 also, but I upgraded that computer to OS 9.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
My original LC, running System 6, was not up to loading macrumors (essentially due to the incredibly primitive state of System 6 browsers), but after saving this thread as a HTML file on my PowerBook, I downloaded it to the LC via FTP, using Fetch 2.1.2, and then opened it in BBEdit Lite 3.5.1...although I could take a screen shot (using the Flash-It! Control Panel, of course), I could not post the result (same browser problem)...

so I mounted my 7100's hard drive on the LC's Desktop via AppleTalk and copied it there, and let my MacOS 8.6-powered 7100 do the upload and post using iCab, after making another screen shot (again using the venerable Flash-It! Control Panel for the screen shot).

Attachments

• 7100_andLC.JPG
    7100_andLC.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 197

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
ahunter3 said:
My original LC, running System 6, was not up to loading macrumors (essentially due to the incredibly primitive state of System 6 browsers), but after saving this thread as a HTML file on my PowerBook, I downloaded it to the LC via FTP, using Fetch 2.1.2, and then opened it in BBEdit Lite 3.5.1...although I could take a screen shot (using the Flash-It! Control Panel, of course), I could not post the result (same browser problem)...

so I mounted my 7100's hard drive on the LC's Desktop via AppleTalk and copied it there, and let my MacOS 8.6-powered 7100 do the upload and post using iCab, after making another screen shot (again using the venerable Flash-It! Control Panel for the screen shot).

wow thats nice . it almost looks like you used a vnc in that screen shot. but its the screenshot in a screenshot that makes it look like vnc. but any way nice screen shot.

BTW will Amapi 2 run on OS 9.2.2 or is there a better app to do this on OS 9.2.2

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
That would be so cool, to have a System 6 version of VNC!

(There actually was a System 6 version of Timbuktu, if I remember correctly, but it would not be forward-compatible with much of anything I could run on my other machines)

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
ahunter3 said:
That would be so cool, to have a System 6 version of VNC!

(There actually was a System 6 version of Timbuktu, if I remember correctly, but it would not be forward-compatible with much of anything I could run on my other machines)

i know there is a vnc client for 68K Mac's but i cant remember the url to it tho. i know cause i vnc'ed into his 68k before

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
I would not merely need a 68K-compatible VNC; I would need a System 6 version of VNC. I know I could deploy System 7.5.5 on this little LC but what's the fun of that?

Its purpose in life is to be my System 6 mac.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
Here's my middle-aged Mac, a wonderful machine that I still very much enjoy using: the WallStreet PowerBook. One screen shot shows it booted in MacOS 8.1, the other in 10.3.8 (I never got around to loading Tiger onto it).

This was my primary computer for 7 years, and the best Mac I've ever owned.

Attachments

• WallStreet_8.1.jpg
    WallStreet_8.1.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 223
  • WallStreet_10.3.8.jpg
    WallStreet_10.3.8.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 196

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I just finished putting this old system together for myself. It is a Beige G3 Mini Tower.

Current configuration:
Mac OS X v10.3.9,
G4/533 with 1 MB of L2 cache,
640 MB of RAM,
80 GB hard drive connected via an Ultra ATA66 card,
ATI Radeon 7000 with 32 MB of VRAM running a 20" display,
2 port USB card,
24x CD-ROM (bay 1),
6x DVD-ROM (bay 2).​

I plan on adding a 2x SCSI CDR (in bay 3 using the logic board's SCSI bus) and there is additional room for at least two more ATA drives (off the Ultra ATA66 card). I have the primary CD-ROM on one of the logic board's EIDE buses and the DVD-ROM on the other.

The best part of this system is that I haven't had to pay anything for it. I was given two different Beige G3 Mini Towers from clients and put all the best parts of both into one system. I then sold what I didn't need to pay for the processor upgrade (the only thing I've needed to buy so far). And I still have funds left over for the SCSI CDR and the bezel. Plus I had an extra ATI Rage 128 (originally from a Blue & White) which I ended up putting into my 8600.

I've been considering a second display (it has 6 MB of VRAM for it's original onboard ATI Rage graphics) or maybe replacing the USB card with a USB/Firewire card. But neither of those are things I need right away.

ahunter3 said:
Here's my middle-aged Mac, a wonderful machine that I still very much enjoy using: the WallStreet PowerBook. One screen shot shows it booted in MacOS 8.1, the other in 10.3.8 (I never got around to loading Tiger onto it).
Yeah, I still love my Wallstreet. Easily my favorite Mac.

I've only run two operating systems on it though... Rhapsody 5.6 (Mac OS X Server 1.2) and Mac OS X v10.2.x.

This is from a while ago... but my desktop hasn't actually changed much since then...

and at the bottom of this page are some screenshots of when it was running Rhapsody (from before the release of Mac OS X v10.2).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.