Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
So my kids have iPads that they love, but once in awhile they wish they could have something a bit more portable. My one daughter has been wanting an iPod touch for quite awhile, but they are so outdated and discounted now, I figure I would just get an older iPhone and she can use it like that. I wouldn't be adding data to them as they are 10 and dont need a full fledge cell phone yet.

Im thinking something like a 6s or 7 should work? It would be mostly for video streaming and taking pictures. They have iPad airs for their games and such.

My one daughter was showing me this mini 2.5" android phone but it looks like a total pos lol

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
A 6S, SE1 or 7 would perfectly fit the bill. I was using an SE1 as my daily driver this year and it was perfect for media consumption. All streaming apps function perfectly on those phones, you won’t find any problems with Netflix, Disney+, Prime or YouTube, etc… and they are still quite snappy when on the most up-to-date supported firmware update which is iOS 15.7.1.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Well I agree then 6s or 7 would be fine.
yea, another one is the iPhone 8, seems to be quite a few used ones for around $150 or so. The A11 is still a decent chip as well.

Just want to make sure these are still usable before im dropping a few hundred on 2 of them for my girls lol.

Reactions: Devyn89

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I wish they were a couple years older lol. I have pretty nice plans through my work. Iphone 12 for $5 a month or a 13 for $10 a month but have to commit to a plan and im not ready to give 10 year olds cellphone plans lol

Brandon42

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
My kids are using an old 6 Plus. I’d say that is below what you’d want. Apps crash often or are not available and lack of the newest iOS is less than ideal.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
My kids are using an old 6 Plus. I’d say that is below what you’d want. Apps crash often or are not available and lack of the newest iOS is less than ideal.
yea I wouldn't go that old. I have an old 6s plus at home but the battery is toast and it's pretty laggy as well. Thats why im leaning towards atleast an 8 or se at this point. Like to keep it under $200, not sure how much they will want to use these compared to their iPads once the excitement wears off lol

Brandon42

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
yea I wouldn't go that old. I have an old 6s plus at home but the battery is toast and it's pretty laggy as well. Thats why im leaning towards atleast an 8 or se at this point. Like to keep it under $200, not sure how much they will want to use these compared to their iPads once the excitement wears off lol
If you are handy, finding a broken screen model of any older iPhone is a great deal. Replace the screen with a cheap non-OEM and replace the battery while you are inside. You could have a decent kid phone for well under $100

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
I would suggest a refurbished or second hand iPhone X or iPhone XR, those are the cheapest with the "all screen" design, are not as old, and can be found for around 200 dls.

Reactions: dustin_

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I would suggest a refurbished or second hand iPhone X or iPhone XR, those are the cheapest with the "all screen" design, are not as old, and can be found for around 200 dls.
Where I live, the cheapest ones I can find that aren't broken are $250-$300 for the x and about the same for the Xr. I got lots of time to keep searching, this would be for Christmas for them

I can find tons of androids for under $200 but I rather keep them under the apple family since I already have all their screen time restrictions set up nicely.

halfapie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
So my kids have iPads that they love, but once in awhile they wish they could have something a bit more portable. My one daughter has been anting an iPod touch for quite awhile, but they are so outdated and discounted now, I figure I would just get an older iPhone and she can use it like that. I wouldn't be adding data to them as they are 10 and dont need a full fledge cell phone yet.

Im thinking something like a 6s or 7 should work? It would be mostly for video streaming and taking pictures. They have iPad airs for their games and such.

My one daughter was showing me this mini 2.5" android phone but it looks like a total pos lol
the problem with some old models is that they are stuck on old iOS so they don't get security updates and they don't get the child protection features either. https://www.apple.com/child-safety/

The good thing is, 6s or newer can take iOS 15 which is when child safety was introduced.
but iOS 16 requires 8 and up. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213411

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
If you don't mind an Android for your kid, this might fit the bill. Costs $150 at many Canadian carriers.
Otherwise, I would recommend at least a iPhone 8 so she could be up to date and possibly get a cheap Public Mobile line when she's older.

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
I'd say the SE2 or XR, you'll still be able to have update support for many years, assuming you'll get them to keep it for a couple of yrs.

jimlat

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
Stay away from the 7…great device, but problematic with the cellular “searching no service” and the audio speaker greyed out issues…agree on the 8 as a minimum…

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
If you are looking at devices as old as 6s/SE 1/7, then why not the last gen iPod touch? A10 chip, which is also what the 7 had.

I would hunt for 8, SE 2, or Xr. Yes I’m sure a 7 would be fine for a 10 year old now, but it already can’t run the latest iOS, and I assume you want it to last them a few years. I know it’s easy for me to spend your money, but wouldn’t it be better to spend a bit more now and get a couple extra years of use on the back end?

Reactions: SpotOnT and LeoI07

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
If you are looking at devices as old as 6s/SE 1/7, then why not the last gen iPod touch? A10 chip, which is also what the 7 had.

I would hunt for 8, SE 2, or Xr. Yes I’m sure a 7 would be fine for a 10 year old now, but it already can’t run the latest iOS, and I assume you want it to last them a few years. I know it’s easy for me to spend your money, but wouldn’t it be better to spend a bit more now and get a couple extra years of use on the back end?
For me, if I get a couple years out of them I’ll be happy. Once they are ready to get an actual phone plan and use them as phones, I’ll just get them new phones.

As I said, I got great deals through my work to get phones and plans. iPhone 12 for $5 a month currently or a 13 for $10. I just don’t want to be tired into a plan since they don’t need phones in grade 4 lol.

Something new enough to run atleast iOS 15 for the family safety and a decent camera and they would be pretty happy.

The iPhone 8 is looking better as it’s around the $180-$200

Also amazing renewed is about $230 with 90 day warranty. Maybe they’ll do some Black Friday deals

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Why not just get the phones through your work plan, but lock down the cellular and keep them off? If you enable parental controls, you can keep the cellular off, and they won’t have access to it. Otherwise, you can just keep the iPads too. We refuse to give our little guys phones because they’re around your kids’ age, and they don’t need them. Our older one has a watch, so far that’s allowed us to stave off the phone thing, even though most of their friends have phones (Which we hear about all the time.)

Reactions: SpotOnT

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Why not just get the phones through your work plan, but lock down the cellular and keep them off? If you enable parental controls, you can keep the cellular off, and they won’t have access to it. Otherwise, you can just keep the iPads too. We refuse to give our little guys phones because they’re around your kids’ age, and they don’t need them. Our older one has a watch, so far that’s allowed us to stave off the phone thing, even though most of their friends have phones (Which we hear about all the time.)
because in Canada, even the cheapest smartphone plans here are like $60 each. So then im paying $120 a month for two phone plans they aren't using. But yea I hear you, always hear about friends with phones etc. Not giving into that but I dont mind if they want a bit more portable deice that can double as a nice camera too for them. Especially on our summer road trips, they struggle trying to hold the iPads up to the windows lol

Reactions: SpotOnT

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
For me, if I get a couple years out of them I’ll be happy. Once they are ready to get an actual phone plan and use them as phones, I’ll just get them new phones.

As I said, I got great deals through my work to get phones and plans. iPhone 12 for $5 a month currently or a 13 for $10. I just don’t want to be tired into a plan since they don’t need phones in grade 4 lol.

Something new enough to run atleast iOS 15 for the family safety and a decent camera and they would be pretty happy.

The iPhone 8 is looking better as it’s around the $180-$200

Also amazing renewed is about $230 with 90 day warranty. Maybe they’ll do some Black Friday deals
I checked Amazon, and they have “excellent” condition renewed Xr for like $225 US. Not sure if there’s a similar deal in Canada, but that’s pretty good and would last em a while. The 8 you found sounds like a good option, too.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I checked Amazon, and they have “excellent” condition renewed Xr for like $225 US. Not sure if there’s a similar deal in Canada, but that’s pretty good and would last em a while. The 8 you found sounds like a good option, too.
$350 renewed for the XR

My amazon renewed pricing breakdown for Canada:
Iphone 7 $175
iPhone 8 $225
Iphone Se 2020 $250

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.