Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
The 5S runs iOS 12 so Disney+, Prime, Netflix and YouTube is all supported and should work perfectly. A couple of 5S’s would be perfect as a dirt cheap throwaway kids device so they can enjoy media content for a year or so.
I want to be able to set them up on screen time like I do with their iPads which isn't supported on that old of a phone

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
True, but at that point, you might as well get the first gen SE
I suggested the SE originally as it’ll last at least 3-4 more years as a media iPod Touch style device and is extremely cheap. The 5S is still a viable device but it’ll likely be unsupported by steaming apps within 2 years.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I want to be able to set them up on screen time like I do with their iPads which isn't supported on that old of a phone
I personally wouldn’t go below a 6S/SE and likely wouldn’t go higher either as, by 3-4 years time, when they have a proper cell phone, they’ll likely not be using their old media device which might be pretty beat-up by that point.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I currently can get either the XR or 2020 Se for about the same price. Which would be the better buy? Xr has the better battery life, camera and bigger screen. Se has the A13 spec

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I currently can get either the XR or 2020 Se for about the same price. Which would be the better buy? Xr has the better battery life, camera and bigger screen. Se has the A13 spec
Personally I really prefer the form factor of the SE and feel like the Xr might be too big for a kid to use comfortably. So for me, SE. But if you think they’d like the size, Xr is probably a better choice.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
So my kids have iPads that they love, but once in awhile they wish they could have something a bit more portable. My one daughter has been wanting an iPod touch for quite awhile, but they are so outdated and discounted now, I figure I would just get an older iPhone and she can use it like that. I wouldn't be adding data to them as they are 10 and dont need a full fledge cell phone yet.

Im thinking something like a 6s or 7 should work? It would be mostly for video streaming and taking pictures. They have iPad airs for their games and such.

My one daughter was showing me this mini 2.5" android phone but it looks like a total pos lol
No, you're looking at an iPhone 11 or iPhone SE 2 at the oldest. There is no point is spending money on something that is already cut off from software updates.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
So... new plan lol. Both my wife and older kid both have contracts that are up. Black Friday sales have it that I can get them both into a cheaper plan. Nether need a new phone som instead I'll use they're contact renewal and get the two girls iPhone 12's for $5 a month

Both get new phones without a contract for them, just new contracts for the wife and older kid. win win!

Reactions: profcutter

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
oh I know, im picky with tech, horrible about staying on a budget for it. I think im leaning towards the Se since its got the A13 chip and I know will be good for a few years until they are ready to use them fully as a phone
If your kids are clumsy as our 13 year old don’t over estimate the duration of a mobile.

He’s know on his 3rd phone in a year. First he broke a used XR after a week. Than a 6s a few months later. Now he’s on a $100 android. All with cases on

Reactions: Andeddu

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
So... new plan lol. Both my wife and older kid both have contracts that are up. Black Friday sales have it that I can get them both into a cheaper plan. Nether need a new phone som instead I'll use they're contact renewal and get the two girls iPhone 12's for $5 a month

Both get new phones without a contract for them, just new contracts for the wife and older kid. win win!
Yeah. That’s kind of the thing I was suggesting at the beginning. I’m glad it’s working out. Maybe spring for the AppleCare plus? It’s less of an issue if the devices never leave the house, but if they’re out and about, it’s something to consider.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Yeah. That’s kind of the thing I was suggesting at the beginning. I’m glad it’s working out. Maybe spring for the AppleCare plus? It’s less of an issue if the devices never leave the house, but if they’re out and about, it’s something to consider.
yea, I got what you were saying, but I didn't want to spend money to get them monthly phone plans. I forgot about the fact my wife and older kid had contracts that were up s definitely a big win win for us here. Going to head down there tomorrow to secure this deal

Last edited:
Reactions: profcutter

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
If your kids are clumsy as our 13 year old don’t over estimate the duration of a mobile.

He’s know on his 3rd phone in a year. First he broke a used XR after a week. Than a 6s a few months later. Now he’s on a $100 android. All with cases on
A Spigan tempered glass screen protector and an Otterbox case would make a good investment as it makes the phone practically invulnerable and kid proof. Obviously he’ll take more care of his phones soon otherwise his next destination after a crappy $100 Android will likely be a $50 Alcatel.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
A Spigan tempered glass screen protector and an Otterbox case would make a good investment as it makes the phone practically invulnerable and kid proof. Obviously he’ll take more care of his phones soon otherwise his next destination after a crappy $100 Android will likely be a $50 Alcatel.
Yea our 14 year old isn't too nice to his phone but somehow it's never broke lol. 4 screen protectors so far but no damage to the screen and a fairly heavy duty case. Hes been warned if it breaks, hes not getting another one lol

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
So just an update to this, I end up springing for the iPhone 13 in pink for both girls. $10 a month for the 13 vs $5 for the 12. But I figure the bigger battery, better cameras, double the storage and a few other improvements made it worth the extra cost. Plus with the A15, will help them last longer once they graduate into a full phone for them to use

Worked out in the end for cost as both I got both my wife and older son into cheaper plans with more data during the Black Friday sales. So a win win overall

Now time to go case shopping lol

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Oh boy. Now i’m wondering what the headline was all about. Good for Apple though

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
When I originally made the thread, I didn’t realize I had two contracts up for renewal and could get them new iPhones for a few bucks lol
Yes, it’s worth getting those phones if you are able to obtain them for cheap.

They will likely be great phones and will be perfectly functional until the girls are school seniors or have finished with school… make sure you’ve purchased very protective cases as these phones are going to be dropped a lot, especially once you’ve activated the cell signal and they are out and about. The OLED screens are expensive to replace and the glass backs are delicate which is why I would never suggest these phones for such young kids. An Otterbox Defender or similar would do the job and keep the phone in tact long-term. I know it’s quite costly but anything less and I guarantee you’ll end up with a headache. Also a Spigen EZ application tempered glass screen protector would provide suitable protection. I have one on my 12 Mini and it certainly passes the accident test.

Last edited:

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Yes, it’s worth getting those phones if you are able to obtain them for cheap.

They will likely be great phones and will be perfectly functional until the girls are school seniors or have finished with school… make sure you’ve purchased very protective cases as these phones are going to be dropped a lot, especially once you’ve activated the cell signal and they are out and about. The OLED screens are expensive to replace and the glass backs are delicate which is why I would never suggest these phones for such young kids. An Otterbox Defender or similar would do the job and keep the phone in tact long-term. I know it’s quite costly but anything less and I guarantee you’ll end up with a headache. Also a Spigen EZ application tempered glass screen protector would provide suitable protection. I have one on my 12 Mini and it certainly passes the accident test.
Yup, they will definitely be going into some rugged cases, the Spigen screen protectors are the exact ones I use and have definitely saved our older sons phone multiple times lol. I’m also not one to run out right away and fix their electronics if they break them. I’ve made it very clear that if they don’t take care of their stuff and it breaks, then I guess it stays broken for awhile.

My hope is that these phones will last them a long time, that will be up to them if they take care of them.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
A quick update to this, My carrier had a last minute deal that allowed you to get these phones now free when part of a contract. So I called them up to ask for the same deal since it was only a week ago I got them. No issues there, applied for the price change and now instead of $10 a month each, it's $0. Can't complain there for brand new iPhone 13's!

Otterbox cases and screen protectors have already arrived for them as well!

Reactions: MmkLucario

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
A quick update to this, My carrier had a last minute deal that allowed you to get these phones now free when part of a contract. So I called them up to ask for the same deal since it was only a week ago I got them. No issues there, applied for the price change and now instead of $10 a month each, it's $0. Can't complain there for brand new iPhone 13's!

Perfect, you’ve done everything right and with the protective cases those phones will last the kids until they are out of high school, haha.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022

Wow. So just to make sure I’m getting this correct, you bought the phones on a plan that you payed $10 a month each, and now, since they now offer the same phones free if you have an existing plan with them, right?

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Wow. So just to make sure I’m getting this correct, you bought the phones on a plan that you payed $10 a month each, and now, since they now offer the same phones free if you have an existing plan with them, right?
Yea my wife and my older son both had contracts that were up for renewal. Neither of them needed a new phone so we used their new contracts to get the deal on the iPhone 13 for each contract.

That was a week ago, then yesterday I noticed this improved deal where the iPhone 13 was now $0 a month. I asked them if I could still take advantage of this deal since I just got them and I haven’t even taken them out of the box yet. They said it was no problem and just had to fill out a price match form on their site.

Can’t ask for more a better deal than that! Lol

Reactions: MmkLucario
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.