Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
If you are looking at devices as old as 6s/SE 1/7, then why not the last gen iPod touch? A10 chip, which is also what the 7 had.

I would hunt for 8, SE 2, or Xr. Yes I’m sure a 7 would be fine for a 10 year old now, but it already can’t run the latest iOS, and I assume you want it to last them a few years. I know it’s easy for me to spend your money, but wouldn’t it be better to spend a bit more now and get a couple extra years of use on the back end?
Also in regards to the upload touch, for some reason people think they are a rare item or something, they want as much as an iPhone 8 costs for a 7th gen iPod touch lol

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
$350 renewed for the XR

My amazon renewed pricing breakdown for Canada:
Iphone 7 $175
iPhone 8 $225
Iphone Se 2020 $250
Jeez, rough pricing compared to the US. I’d go with the SE 2020, as we know A13 will have years more support. I wouldn’t do a 7, as it already can’t run iOS 16, and who knows how long 15 will get security patches.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I would just want to make sure that the iOS can be updated enough to be in sync with your iPhone. I would shoot for a 2020 or 2022 SE.

Reactions: 1BadManVan

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
So my kids have iPads that they love, but once in awhile they wish they could have something a bit more portable. My one daughter has been anting an iPod touch for quite awhile, but they are so outdated and discounted now, I figure I would just get an older iPhone and she can use it like that. I wouldn't be adding data to them as they are 10 and dont need a full fledge cell phone yet.

Im thinking something like a 6s or 7 should work? It would be mostly for video streaming and taking pictures. They have iPad airs for their games and such.

My one daughter was showing me this mini 2.5" android phone but it looks like a total pos lol
Anything would work, as long as it’s functional.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Anything would work, as long as it’s functional.
oh I know, im picky with tech, horrible about staying on a budget for it. I think im leaning towards the Se since its got the A13 chip and I know will be good for a few years until they are ready to use them fully as a phone

Reactions: QCassidy352

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Just for clarification - OP is from Canada and the prices he mentions are probably in CAD. Stop comparing them to USD prices without doing the conversion.

blkjedi954

Suspended
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
it was another one I was looking at but in Canada, even used, people want $250 for them.
Go with the 7 cause the 6S’s chipset were manufactured by TSMC AND Samsung. Needless to say the TSMC variant performs better and has better battery life. But it’s a toss up as to which one you would get. There was an app that revealed which version you had. And to that point, the 6S was already known for not-so-great battery life. So the 7 is a no brainer!!

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
So my kids have iPads that they love, but once in awhile they wish they could have something a bit more portable. My one daughter has been wanting an iPod touch for quite awhile, but they are so outdated and discounted now, I figure I would just get an older iPhone and she can use it like that. I wouldn't be adding data to them as they are 10 and dont need a full fledge cell phone yet.

Im thinking something like a 6s or 7 should work? It would be mostly for video streaming and taking pictures. They have iPad airs for their games and such.

My one daughter was showing me this mini 2.5" android phone but it looks like a total pos lol
I gave my son my old RED iPhone XR. He's 10 as well. He rarely uses it though. Still just mainly uses his iPad.

Gamestop.ca is an option: https://www.gamestop.ca/SearchResult/QuickSearch?q=iphone

"40% off mobile" Black Friday sale going on there right now. 64GB Refurbished Red XR for $240 (yes, it's in CAD for those wondering. It's Gamestop.ca, not Gamestop.com)

Last edited:

Mactech20

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2021
So my kids have iPads that they love, but once in awhile they wish they could have something a bit more portable. My one daughter has been wanting an iPod touch for quite awhile, but they are so outdated and discounted now, I figure I would just get an older iPhone and she can use it like that. I wouldn't be adding data to them as they are 10 and dont need a full fledge cell phone yet.

If you are going with anything iphone 7 and older just get a last gen iPod touch. iPhone 7 and iPod touch 7th gen both have A10 CPU's. anything older than an iPhone 7 would be worse than the touch.

Go with an iPod touch 7 or an iPhone 8.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
The 7, 8, or any of the SE clones would be fine.

My spouse has a 7. Works fine even though it doesn’t get software updates. 8 and the SE2 or SE3 still get software updates.

I would avoid the 6s. It is feeling a little clunky now and software support is getting dated.

Edit: I see you have ruled out the 6s already. Other thing of note is the SE2 really has horrible battery life. I have used the 7, 8 and the SE3 and all three are fine. It is just the SE2 that seems to drain battery like nobody’s business.

Last edited:

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
One thing I would say, regardless which phone you end up with, be sure you get enough storage. They were using my wife’s phone at home, and they loaded it up with photos they took, videos, games, etc. until the damned thing could barely function enough to take a phone call. Even if you have to get an older device, be sure you have enough space, so at least the second from the bottom. They sometimes use an old XS Max of mine, with no cell service, and I was glad I opted for the 256 those many years ago.

Reactions: SpotOnT

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
One thing I would say, regardless which phone you end up with, be sure you get enough storage. They were using my wife’s phone at home, and they loaded it up with photos they took, videos, games, etc. until the damned thing could barely function enough to take a phone call. Even if you have to get an older device, be sure you have enough space, so at least the second from the bottom. They sometimes use an old XS Max of mine, with no cell service, and I was glad I opted for the 256 those many years ago.
I have the apple one premium plan with lots of cloud storage, I would just make sure their photo settings were set up to store them on iCloud.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
The 7, 8, or any of the SE clones would be fine.

My spouse has a 7. Works fine even though it doesn’t get software updates. 8 and the SE2 or SE3 still get software updates.

I would avoid the 6s. It is feeling a little clunky now and software support is getting dated.

Edit: I see you have ruled out the 6s already. Other thing of note is the SE2 really has horrible battery life. I have used the 7, 8 and the SE3 and all three are fine. It is just the SE2 that seems to drain battery like nobody’s business.
Yea I’ve heard the battery life sucks. Not super worried since they aren’t being used as an actual phone.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
If you are going with anything iphone 7 and older just get a last gen iPod touch. iPhone 7 and iPod touch 7th gen both have A10 CPU's. anything older than an iPhone 7 would be worse than the touch.

Go with an iPod touch 7 or an iPhone 8.
Strangely the iPod touch 7th Gen is actually more money then just getting an iPhone 7 lol. Atleast out where I live.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I gave my son my old RED iPhone XR. He's 10 as well. He rarely uses it though. Still just mainly uses his iPad.

Gamestop.ca is an option: https://www.gamestop.ca/SearchResult/QuickSearch?q=iphone

"40% off mobile" Black Friday sale going on there right now. 64GB Refurbished Red XR for $240 (yes, it's in CAD for those wondering. It's Gamestop.ca, not Gamestop.com)
Oh cool, didn’t even think to look there. Thank you

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Would get them an iPhone 8 or XR so they don't get slower in the future due to newer standards.

Also consider the iPhone SE 2 and 3. If you get them new phone numbers with Verizon, they can both get the 12 or SE 3 (12 is better) for free.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I’m typing this on my SE 2020. If they’re not on social media or games, and the battery is fairly new, I could easily get a day without charging.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I don’t know if 3G is still supported in Canada, but if it isn’t, then it is a Wi-Fi only phone. Plus the iPhone 5s is quite old.
The 5S runs iOS 12 so Disney+, Prime, Netflix and YouTube is all supported and should work perfectly. A couple of 5S’s would be perfect as a dirt cheap throwaway kids device so they can enjoy media content for a year or so.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
The 5S runs iOS 12 so Disney+, Prime, Netflix and YouTube is all supported and should work perfectly. A couple of 5S’s would be perfect as a dirt cheap throwaway kids device so they can enjoy media content for a year or so.
True, but at that point, you might as well get the first gen SE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.