Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
New speed test champ. So iPhone X lost to 5T and Note8 which both have 6 GB RAM? Apple needs to bump the RAM up to 4 minimum next year. It should be across all iPhones including SE2 and 4.7" iPhones.

Reactions: ultravegeta1981

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
New speed test champ. So iPhone X lost to 5T and Note8 which both have 6 GB RAM? Apple needs to bump the RAM up to 4 minimum next year. It should be across all iPhones including SE2 and 4.7" iPhones.

Haha it but but but synthetic benchmarks show the iPhone X is as powerful as a laptop..... hahahaha

It’s a perfect example of how fake synthetic benchmarks really are, and now people use those same benchmark programs to test computers! o_O:rolleyes:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

No, because fanboys wouldn't be able to gloat about Apple being the most profitable company. You can only have high future proof specs or high profit margin but not both. And, with DRAM shortage and prices at an all time that's projected to last into 2018 Apple will unlikely make any moves in this regard.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Haha it but but but synthetic benchmarks show the iPhone X is as powerful as a laptop..... hahahaha

It’s a perfect example of how fake synthetic benchmarks really are, and now people use those same benchmark programs to test computers! o_O:rolleyes:
Good job people don’t buy phones based off non real world usage

I’m sure in some testing the x is faster in some tests but not like it matters. Just something to say to fit somebody’s agenda

That said this phone is a great price with great specs and would be a great backup phone to try android out for many people on the fence

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Remember when iOS was still good and well optimized?

iPhone 6s (iOS9, 2 GB RAM)
vs
OnePlus 3 (MM, 6 GB RAM)

Now an iPhone X with 3 GB RAM loses to Note8 and 5T with 6.

Optimization
iOS11 = worse
Nougat = better

Please give us more RAM, Apple. At least 4 across all sizes. This is why the SE2 will be a "bad" purchase if it gets only iPhone 7 specs and be stuck with only 2 GB RAM. Better off with an Xperia XZ1 Compact which has 4. I believe 4 GB RAM should be bare minimum in this 64-bit era.

Reactions: ultravegeta1981

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

iPhone X is actually much faster, it's only when he cycles back do you see the benefit of holding more information in RAM whereas the iPhone has to launch more apps from cold.

I would say for most real-world use cases the iPhone X is much the faster phone. In almost all cases you'll find people are switching in and out between 2-3 apps (iPhone X handles this fine), not a dozen or more apps. So yes there is a benefit in multi-tasking to having more RAM in extreme use cases, but all that RAM is well known to cause issues with battery life.

I think Apple strikes the right balance personally.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
iPhone X is actually much faster, it's only when he cycles back do you see the benefit of holding more information in RAM whereas the iPhone has to launch more apps from cold.

I would say for most real-world use cases the iPhone X is much the faster phone. In almost all cases you'll find people are switching in and out between 2-3 apps, not a dozen or more. So yes there is a benefit in multi-tasking to having more RAM in extreme use cases, but all that RAM is well known to cause issues with battery life.

What are those well known battery life issues from more RAM? I get about a day and a half with my OP3 at the moment. While 6 GB is perhaps excessive for a phone at the moment, 4 GB is not. As phones get more features those will consume a bit more RAM every time until the current flagship is no longer sufficient. iPhone 6 with 1 GB RAM had those very same issues of browser tabs and apps reloading.

Apple doesn't strike a balance. They nickle and dime their specs until they have to put in more RAM.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

I would say for most real-world use cases the iPhone X is much the faster phone. In almost all cases you'll find people are switching in and out between 2-3 apps (iPhone X handles this fine), not a dozen or more apps. So yes there is a benefit in multi-tasking to having more RAM in extreme use cases, but all that RAM is well known to cause issues with battery life.

Actually, you are wrong. IP X isn't faster. At all. OP5 (I had that one) will hold way more apps in memory. And I do mean waaay more. So no reopening apps. Almost none at all. Even games stay in memory.

As far as battery life goes, OP5 has better battery then my IP X that I'm using at the moment. And 'the right balance' just means Apple is saving their money in hardware department. So I really don't agree with your post ;)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
What are those well known battery life issues from more RAM? I get about a day and a half with my OP3 at the moment. While 6 GB is perhaps excessive for a phone at the moment, 4 GB is not. As phones get more features those will consume a bit more RAM every time until the current flagship is no longer sufficient. iPhone 6 with 1 GB RAM had those very same issues of browser tabs and apps reloading.

Apple doesn't strike a balance. They nickle and dime their specs until they have to put in more RAM.
^THIS. So true about Apple.

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Maxx Lee has a good camera comparison video between the 5t and the Pixel. The 5t won quite a few low light shots against the Pixel. Might be a good watch. I'm thinking of grabbing a 5t. Is there a big difference between the 6 or 8gb versions of it?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
@fjd726

Unless you need the extra storage, nope, no difference at all. 8GB is a complete overkill :)

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
The 5T cam is great
a32bfb4c7f79dca369338b1fa17cca6a.jpg

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Not really a fan. I mean, I like that they stuck with a black front. Something about the white back, red alert slider and black volume buttons just doesn't sit right with me fully. I think just a matching white volume rocker, ala the panda Pixel would have been better.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
More phones (& cases for that matter) should have sandstone backs.

No fingerprints & better grip, yet still stylish.

This new OnePlus 5T apparently has a fine sandstone surface, which means it shouldn't be overly grippy in your pocket, yet good enough to hold in the hand...happy medium.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

These speed tests are the epitome of synthetic benchmarks. They don't mimic real world usage.

Reactions: Cryates

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
bought the 8Gb RAM and 128Gb storage 5T. For reference, I got the iPhone X as well.

This 5T is really blazing fast (even during and shortly after the whole set up proces), nearly zero lag, no bloatware, superb battery and an okay camera.
The 5T is as fast and smooth as my iPhone X, heck maybe even faster and smoother.
This 5T can easily go with the high end flagship devices out there (except maybe for the camera, I am not really into photography with a smartphone, so I am fine with the camera on the 5T)

Really surprised with this beast. Had a few Android devices the last 3 years. This 5T is by far the best Android device I have ever owned.

edit: worth mentioning, face unlock is incredible and instantly (okay, maybe 0,1 second animation) and good viewing angle, much better then with FaceID on my iPhone X

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.