Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
bought the 8Gb RAM and 128Gb storage 5T. For reference, I got the iPhone X as well.

This 5T is really blazing fast (even during and shortly after the whole set up proces), nearly zero lag, no bloatware, superb battery and an okay camera.
The 5T is as fast and smooth as my iPhone X, heck maybe even faster and smoother.
This 5T can easily go with the high end flagship devices out there (except maybe for the camera, I am not really into photography with a smartphone, so I am fine with the camera on the 5T)

Really surprised with this beast. Had a few Android devices the last 3 years. This 5T is by far the best Android device I have ever owned.

edit: worth mentioning, face unlock is incredible and instantly (okay, maybe 0,1 second animation) and good viewing angle, much better then with FaceID on my iPhone X
The 5T is becoming a clear choice to recommended for non-IOS people who aren't looking to spend top dollar.

Re: 5T Face unlock. Reviews say although it's faster, it's less secure than Face ID.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Re: 5T Face unlock. Reviews say although it's faster, it's less secure than Face ID.

maybe true indeed.

I tried unlocking my 5T with a few a few clear photos with my head on. It would never unlock my phone.
I saw a couple of YouTube reviewers mentioning who tried the same, also didnt work.

Dont wanna defend OnePlus in this matter (I never defend a particular brand, with any product), but I think Face Unlock on the 5T is secure enough

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Have actually thought about picking one of these up lately to replace my nexus 6 which has turned into a stutter-fest since the last update. Doubt i'd be able to snag a sandstone white one however.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Used my 5T for over a full weekend now (not even missed my iPhone X, to be honest)

Uncredible what OnePlus did with this phone. For reference, my 5T is as fast and smooth as my iPhone X. In some cases the 5T is even much more fluid and faster.

face unlock with this 5T is just wow, wow, wow! Lightyears ahead the iPhone X.
Face unlock on the 5T is just plain ''magic'' (and instantly), simple as that.

Tried to unlock my 5T with different kind of photos with me on. Never unlocked the phone.
So I could say its quite secure.

My 5T is about €650 cheaper then my iPhone X, still cant believe that the 5T is on par (and some cases even better) then my iPhone X

And ofcourse, the iPhone X wins with the camera, not even a competition with the 5T, other then that... 5T is my best Android device ever used.

This is a keeper for sure!
Tomorrow ( = release date) I will be ordering the white sandstone (limited?) 5T and already have a buyer for my black 5T.
So I can easily use the phone without any case or bumper. A case is really needed with the black 5T, is slippery as butter.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Used my 5T for over a full weekend now (not even missed my iPhone X, to be honest)

Uncredible what OnePlus did with this phone. For reference, my 5T is as fast and smooth as my iPhone X. In some cases the 5T is even much more fluid and faster.

face unlock with this 5T is just wow, wow, wow! Lightyears ahead the iPhone X.
Face unlock on the 5T is just plain ''magic'' (and instantly), simple as that.

Tried to unlock my 5T with different kind of photos with me on. Never unlocked the phone.
So I could say its quite secure.

My 5T is about €650 cheaper then my iPhone X, still cant believe that the 5T is on par (and some cases even better) then my iPhone X

And ofcourse, the iPhone X wins with the camera, not even a competition with the 5T, other then that... 5T is my best Android device ever used.

This is a keeper for sure!
Tomorrow ( = release date) I will be ordering the white sandstone (limited?) 5T and already have a buyer for my black 5T.
So I can easily use the phone with any case. A case is really needed with the black 5T, is slippery as butter.

Do post some pics of the white one - it looks so cool!!

I haven't tried a OnePlus phone since the One Plus X... I'm not tempted by the 5T as I need a great camera, and it seems that's the only thing lacking in this device, but everytihng else looks completely top notch!

Reactions: 5105973

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Do post some pics of the white one - it looks so cool!!

I haven't tried a OnePlus phone since the One Plus X... I'm not tempted by the 5T as I need a great camera, and it seems that's the only thing lacking in this device, but everytihng else looks completely top notch!

will post some pics once received!

yeah, if you really need a great camera on a smartphone, you might wanna skip the 5T ;)
But again, other than that, my 5T is nearly on my par with my iPhone X.
''just'' € 650 cheaper

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
will post some pics once received!

yeah, if you really need a great camera on a smartphone, you might wanna skip the 5T ;)
But again, other than that, my 5T is nearly on my par with my iPhone X.
''just'' € 650 cheaper

What is lacking in the camera? I don't need "great" but I need quick and mostly reliable.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
What is lacking in the camera? I don't need "great" but I need quick and mostly reliable.

oh, if you need quick and mostly reliable, then the 5T is fine. Its just the lack of quality photos with low light.
But again, I hardly take any photos with my smartphones, so I might not be a person who has a clear view on smartphone cameras.

My iPhone X is ofcourse better with the camera, not surprised there with a more then €650 price difference between the 2 handsets ;)

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
oh, if you need quick and mostly reliable, then the 5T is fine. Its just the lack of quality photos with low light.
But again, I hardly take any photos with my smartphones, so I might not be a person who has a clear view on smartphone cameras.

My iPhone X is ofcourse better with the camera, not surprised there with a more then €650 price difference between the 2 handsets ;)

I have three kids under the age of 5. So I mostly need something that can snap a quick picture. It’s usually in good enough light. And I’ll be coming from an iPhone 6s Plus, which is terrible in low light. So it can’t be much worse. Just not sure if the extra $700 is worth it for the iX.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I have three kids under the age of 5. So I mostly need something that can snap a quick picture. It’s usually in good enough light. And I’ll be coming from an iPhone 6s Plus, which is terrible in low light. So it can’t be much worse. Just not sure if the extra $700 is worth it for the iX.

$700 is a lot of money if you just want a reliable snappy camera, and not need a perfect camera.

Hopefully you will choose the one who suits you the best! :)

Reactions: Wildo6882

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

Heck with the money you saved you could a decent digital SLR with lenses if photos are that important. All depends on your needs.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
$700 is a lot of money if you just want a reliable snappy camera, and not need a perfect camera.

Hopefully you will choose the one who suits you the best! :)

Oh yeah, it is. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to go back to Android, or what. There are things I love about both Android and iOS.

My wife has an S8, so she can get the REALLY good pics for us, too.

Reactions: jamezr and Geert76

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Sandstone white receive date would have been the 12th with the express shipping...

Got to the site, created a new account, started to get my order on for the thing made it all the way to confirm for my order and then backed out.

I couldn't do it :eek: :(

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Sandstone white receive date would have been the 12th with the express shipping...

Got to the site, created a new account, started to get my order on for the thing made it all the way to confirm for my order and then backed out.

I couldn't do it :eek: :(

What stopped you?!

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
...and it's gone :eek:

What stopped me was the other 4 devices I have, although one has been retired (6p) and the other needs to follow suit (Nexus 6) I do want fresh devices to tinker with, I don't *need* them per say :)

Thought about it for a minute but then remembered I don't trust OP and had a terrible experience with them previously.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Could you please share this terrible experience and why you don't trust OnePlus?

I purchased the OP 5 upon release. Loved the phone but at the time it had a few issues. Mine was antenna issues (LTE or WiFi, don’t recall at the moment). So I start the RMA process. First, they tried to push me to exchange. They finally relent on the return but want me to first take pics or every angle of the phone and email them before they’ll issue the RMA. Then they want same of the accessories,warning me if any accessory was opened it wasn’t eligible for return (that’s right -you can’t return opened accessories).

I found the whole thing janky and off putting. They did eventually send me an RMA and I got a refund at least.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I purchased the OP 5 upon release. Loved the phone but at the time it had a few issues. Mine was antenna issues (LTE or WiFi, don’t recall at the moment). So I start the RMA process. First, they tried to push me to exchange. They finally relent on the return but want me to first take pics or every angle of the phone and email them before they’ll issue the RMA. Then they want same of the accessories,warning me if any accessory was opened it wasn’t eligible for return (that’s right -you can’t return opened accessories).

I found the whole thing janky and off putting. They did eventually send me an RMA and I got a refund at least.

that's some really bad customer service there, indeed!
Hopefully I won't experience that same level of suport when needed

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
that's some really bad customer service there, indeed!
Hopefully I won't experience that same level of suport when needed

It was surprising. They seem to be very receptive to customer feedback, and more importantly seem to act on it. No idea why they'd create so many hoops to jump through.

Reactions: c0ppo and Geert76

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The Sandstone one is really nice looking. I look forward to reading comments on it here.

Since I don't know much about OnePlus yet, if I were to be tempted by a Chinese low cost phone at this point, it would have to run pure Android on the Android One program.

@deany recommended the Xiaomi MI A1 and though it has very few reviews on Amazon they're good among the T Mobile users and it should run on AT&T. $274. Wow.

I may pick one up at some point just to see what I can get for a truly palatable price point.

I already had the privilege of seeing the champagne and caviar side of things with the iPhone X for a month. That was fun. It wasn't for me a viable choice in the long term, but I am glad I got to find out.

Reactions: deany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.