Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Like I wrote: I owned an S8+ and it lagged like crazy right out of the box. It was one of the main reasons why I sold it.
Mine and my husband’s S8+ were almost unusable within a year. S9+ and now S10+ smooth as silk. I really really hated sending my S9+ in for trade.

So the lag worry can probably be safely taken out of the equation when comparing these phones now.

I have to say my S10+ finger print scanner is accurate but just takes a long time measured by several seconds instead of the quick second of Apple’s Face ID or the lightning fast FPS on my Pixel 3XL.

So with smoothness of operating systems and their respective customizations being fairly comparable, I am looking at those other features like smoothness and accuracy of biometrics and speaker quality and camera quality/features, to name a few, as the differentiators.

Value for the money and therefore the price and opportunity for deals is increasingly becoming a factor thanks to the cost of raising kids going up as they grow.

I’m not quite ready to consider the OnePlus because I need some water resistance. My phones get splashed all the time now. But I have my eye on them. I like what I’m seeing so far.

But it is concerning that one would have cost me more this year than my S10+, due to being on a trade in path allowing me to get the S10+ and accessories for the $500 mark.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Large update in 9.5.9 for the 7 Pro from OP website! Auto brightness has been so annoying for me so far in low light environments, hopefully this update works.

Hi everyone,

We are starting to push the incremental roll-out of OxygenOS 9.5.9 for the OnePlus 7 Pro.

Changelog: Yuuge One!

• System
    • Improved touch sensitivity for greater performance
    • Smoother Visual effects
    • Optimized haptic feedback for the keyboard
    • Optimized the sensitivity of automatic brightness
    • Optimized auto-switch of display resolution
    • Optimized the speed and accuracy of GPS when the screen is turned off
    • Adjusted haptic feedback of third-party app notifications
    • Added Face Unlock assistive lighting (Settings - Security & lock screen - Face Unlock - Face Unlock assistive lighting)
    • Increased sound enhancement for OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2 (Settings - Sound & vibration - Dolby Atmos - Earphone Adjustment - Earphone Sound Enhancement)
    • Updated Android security patch to 2019.06
    • Support VoLTE/VoWiFi for 3 SE and Telenor SE (EEA Only)
    • General bug fixes and improvements
  • Camera
    • Improved the performance of camera mode while switching from front to back
    • Improved speed of auto-focus
    • Advanced photo-stitching in Panorama mode
    • Improved photo quality of 48MP JPG in Pro mode

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Used my old one this weekend that I gave to my relative and hot damn I want it back again lol.

I am still using the Pixel 3XL and its easily my favorite camera but man that screen continues to scream come back to me every time I see that thing. Its the best display on any smartphone out right now by a wide margin imo.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
I've ordered a OnePlus 7 Pro, having followed this thread for the last few weeks. I have a OnePlus 3T, where it has been sporting a smashed screen for the last year and a half! Will be good to trash it.

My biggest concern is the size. But when I showed a shop model to a friend at the weekend, their immediate reaction was that it looked massive. Then I put my OnePlus 3T up against it and all of a sudden you realise much of it is an optical illusion. It is just having 100% screen on the front that misleads.

Can't wait for it to arrive!

Last edited:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I've ordered a OnePlus 7 Pro, having followed this thread for the last few weeks. I have a OnePlus 3T, where it has been sporting a smashed screen for the last year and a half! Will be good to trash it.

My biggest concern is the size. But when I showed a shop model to a friend at the weekend, their immediate reaction was that it looked massive. Then I put my OnePlus 3T up against it and all of a sudden you realise much of it is an optical illusion. It is just having 100% screen on the front that misleads.

Can't wait for it to arrive!

You are going to absolutely love it. That screen is mesmerizing and cant be stated enough its grand presence in a smart phone world of notches and chins.

I may need to give it another shot to see how the camera updates have come along

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
You are going to absolutely love it. That screen is mesmerizing and cant be stated enough its grand presence in a smart phone world of notches and chins.

I may need to give it another shot to see how the camera updates have come along

I actually dream about this phone. I only had it about a week. I am pretty sure this makes me crazy, a loser, or both. It was wonderful and I still think I want it again.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I checked out the 7 Pro again and it was so buttery smooth. Oxygen OS also highlights how stale and outdated iOS 13 looks in comparison design-wise. I’m running the beta on my iPhone, and I can’t even use the dark mode because it looks awful, unlike the Oxygen OS dark mode. Some of it has to do with all of the damn lines in iOS, such as in Settings, Messages, Notes, and etc. Those lines look even more dated in dark mode; I literally get nauseous looking at them. Also, I can only have certain wallpapers on my iPhone because of the damn dock. Some wallpapers clash with the dock whether or not the phone is in dark mode. A dark mode dock looks awful against any bright-colored wallpaper; a light mode dock looks awful against any dark wallpaper. Additionally, dark mode in iOS is just a slightly refined version of Smart Invert. Just awful. And lazy. I think Steve would have hated it. Oxygen OS looks great in either light or dark mode. Damn it, Apple—you’re making me consider getting an Android.

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I checked out the 7 Pro again and it was so buttery smooth. Oxygen OS also highlights how stale and outdated iOS 13 looks in comparison design-wise. I’m running the beta on my iPhone, and I can’t even use the dark mode because it looks awful, unlike the Oxygen OS dark mode. Some of it has to do with all of the damn lines in iOS, such as in Settings, Messages, Notes, and etc. Those lines look even more dated in dark mode; I literally get nauseous looking at them. Also, I can only have certain wallpapers on my iPhone because of the damn dock. Some wallpapers clash with the dock whether or not the phone is in dark mode. A dark mode dock looks awful against any bright-colored wallpaper; a light mode dock looks awful against any dark wallpaper. Additionally, dark mode in iOS is just a slightly refined version of Smart Invert. Just awful. And lazy. I think Steve would have hated it. Oxygen OS looks great in either light or dark mode. Damn it, Apple—you’re making me consider getting an Android.

I’m gonna half to sort of disagree with you there...yeeeaaahh...

Dark Mode, in my opinion, looks great on iOS. Probably the best looking and most consistent of all of them.

With that said, I played with an OP7 and I definitely have phone envy of those using this phone and it sucks that US Cellular won’t activate it.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I’m gonna half to sort of disagree with you there...yeeeaaahh...

Dark Mode, in my opinion, looks great on iOS. Probably the best looking and most consistent of all of them.

With that said, I played with an OP7 and I definitely have phone envy of those using this phone and it sucks that US Cellular won’t activate it.
I think dark mode would look a bit better if Apple’s lead design philosophy wasn’t centered around lines and if there wasn’t a forced dock. It just looks jarring and unfinished to me. I had to revert back to light mode because I disliked it so much. I just think Apple’s current design philosophy doesn’t jive with dark mode.

The 7 Pro looks great (in dark mode), though. I’m so tempted to get it.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
The 7 Pro looks great (in dark mode), though. I’m so tempted to get it.

From a die hard, Apple fan boy that has Apple Watches, MacBooks, iPads, you name it...the OP7Pro is the best phone of 2019 so far.

I think I have commented about 37 times in this thread alone...DAT SCREEN! The 90hz, the crisp amazing brightness, the all screen no stupid punch/notch to deal with. It makes you smile every time you pick it up.

Oxygen OS is also a dream with how damn snappy every thing is and touch response and little tweaks of the OS make it such a pleasure to use.

Funny thing is I dont use my OP7 anymore and use a Pixel 3XL as I am a HUGE camera guy but I am tempted to go back to see how these camera updates have faired to improve.

Phone of the year for me and I have only owned the original OP from waaaaaaay back in the day and man they are impressing me with their progress.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
From a die hard, Apple fan boy that has Apple Watches, MacBooks, iPads, you name it...the OP7Pro is the best phone of 2019 so far.

I think I have commented about 37 times in this thread alone...DAT SCREEN! The 90hz, the crisp amazing brightness, the all screen no stupid punch/notch to deal with. It makes you smile every time you pick it up.

Oxygen OS is also a dream with how damn snappy every thing is and touch response and little tweaks of the OS make it such a pleasure to use.

Funny thing is I dont use my OP7 anymore and use a Pixel 3XL as I am a HUGE camera guy but I am tempted to go back to see how these camera updates have faired to improve.

Phone of the year for me and I have only owned the original OP from waaaaaaay back in the day and man they are impressing me with their progress.

If I go back (heavily leaning this way) I plan to install gcam for the main camera. It's pretty much the only one I use anyways.

If you root you can give gcam access to all the cameras. The difference (with the right XML file) is huge and makes the camera a non-issue.

But in good, natural light, the regular camera app will work just fine and takes great shots for the most part.

Reactions: Harthag

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
If I go back (heavily leaning this way) I plan to install gcam for the main camera. It's pretty much the only one I use anyways.

If you root you can have gcam on all the cameras. The difference (with the right XML file) is huge and makes the camera a non-issue.

But in good, natural light, the regular camera app will work just fine and takes great shots for the most part.

I have read mixed reviews on the gcam implementation and again, I am a tried and true iOS guy and dont tinker much as I am an Android newbie and scared to "break" things with rooting, cam mods, etc. :(

Reactions: co.ag.2005

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have read mixed reviews on the gcam implementation and again, I am a tried and true iOS guy and dont tinker much as I am an Android newbie and scared to "break" things with rooting, cam mods, etc. :(

To install Gcam is easy as a few clicks. Rooting is another story. There's tons of videos online showing how to install gcam, probably some specific to the OP7 pro. It's really easy!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
To install Gcam is easy as a few clicks. Rooting is another story. There's tons of videos online showing how to install gcam, probably some specific to the OP7 pro. It's really easy!

Dont tempt me to buy this phone again!!! Or steal it back from my cousin lol

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
The only thing stopping me is the new iPhones and Pixels that are coming out soon. Then I read about all the leaks and am confident the new phones still won't surpass the OP7Pro in terms of overall satisfaction with owning the phone. :D
I'm very happy with my combo of OP7 Pro and 3a. Screaming performance and smoothness on the 7 Pro and my Q beta + Pixel fix on the 3a. OP will be updated to Q shortly as well with Oxygen OS optimization. I can't wait. Depending on the price, it could be hard for me to justify buying the Pixel 4. Amazing what these "budget" phones can do.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
The only thing stopping me is the new iPhones and Pixels that are coming out soon. Then I read about all the leaks and am confident the new phones still won't surpass the OP7Pro in terms of overall satisfaction with owning the phone. :D

I am with you here but from all these tech YouTube videos of the proposed iPhone 11 I am not impressed at all. Basically just slapping another camera on it and iOS 13. No huge design changes, still same notch format, no new hardware.

The Pixel 4 I am definitely intrigued on but I can almost confidently say nothing will touch the OP7 screen.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
How to install Gcam app (for main camera only):

Allow apps to be downloaded from unknown sources in settings
Download Gcam APK file from XDA (or similar)
Download XML file from XDA (or similar)
Create folder in file manager main directory app called Gcam
Create folder in Gcam folder called Configs
Copy XML file to Configs folder (file will be in file manager --> downloads)
Open Gcam APK file to install Gcam app (file will be in file manager --> downloads)
Open Gcam app
Double tap on black area in between shutter button and gallery
Click restore

This may seem like a lot but once you have the files downloaded this takes less than two minutes, does not require root, and does not need to be hooked up to a computer.

Last edited:

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Have had mine for a while now- as soon as I saw the Almond variant was available, I jumped.

What can I say/write that hasn’t already been mentioned before?

I can say that the 90hz screen refresh rate is amazing- something you gotta see for yourself, though.

Already owned a Mi Mix 3, so the “truly belezless” thing wasn’t new to me. But, again, the screen is stellar.

What else?

Yeah, a phone is a phone is a phone nowadays.

I will say, however, that I’ve been impressed by the photo taking capabilities.

But I’m no photog.

Yaddayaddayadda.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
Ok, I got my phone. My first impressions before turning it on were: oh no, its too big, too heavy.

Two hours later: holy crap, this phone is amazing!!! Screen is fab. No notch for a clean experience. Look and feel is great. I like the slightly sloped edges on the screen. The fingerprint unlock is astonishingly quick. The OS is lovely.

When I look back at my OnePlus 3T, the difference is pretty big. It's like going from a Honda to a Ferrari. A very nice experience indeed.

Haptic feedback is a dream. I read about it but didn't know what it would feel like compared to my 3T, but it is very satisfying. I started using the default keyboard - is it Googles? Before, I was using Swiftkey on my 3T. Not sure if I should switch back to it or not. What do you guys prefer?

Anyway, having had the phone for about 15 hours now, my initial concerns are fading, and the brilliance of the design are starting to shine through. Ignoring everything else, they had me at the zero-notch anyway.

Last edited:

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Ok, I got my phone. My first impressions before turning it on were: oh no, its too big, too heavy.

Two hours later: holy crap, this phone is amazing!!! Screen is fab. No notch for a clean experience. Look and feel is great. I like the slightly sloped edges on the screen. The fingerprint unlock is astonishingly quick. The OS is lovely.

When I look back at my OnePlus 3T, the difference is pretty big. It's like going from a Honda to a Ferrari. A very nice experience indeed.

Haptic feedback is a dream. I read about it but didn't know what it would feel like compared to my 3T, but it is very satisfying. I started using the default keyboard - is it Googles? Before, I was using Swiftkey on my 3T. Not sure if I should switch back to it or not. What do you guys prefer?

Anyway, having had the phone for about 15 hours now, my initial concerns are fading, and the brilliance of the design are starting to shine through. Ignoring everything else, they had me at the zero-notch anyway.
These reviews got me questioning my s10 5g now and whether I should switch.

Never had 1+ before. Does it come with a lot of extras over stock android? For example smart unlock, i use that all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.