Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I haven't picked up a OPO 7 but.... From everything I have read here and everywhere else....this phone deserves very strong consideration for smartphone of the year so far :)

It is definitely mine. The overall experience is what I expect in todays world of how amazing the cell phone technology has rapidly grown.

For a device I am going to look at hundreds of times a day, this screen rewards me each time with its tactile response and insane brightness.

Big guns coming out at the end of the year may sway my vote but right now its in the top spot by a large margin.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Remember, there's still potential for another OnePlus handset come November, which has been their pattern. I hope to jump in then :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Remember, there's still potential for another OnePlus handset come November, which has been their pattern. I hope to jump in then :)

Rumors are a regular OnePlus 7t might be coming, but no upgraded 7 Pro version until next year. OnePlus says they went all out on the 7 Pro, and can't find a way to significantly upgrade it in six months. It's still rated one of the top Android phones of 2019, they don't see a reason to make a newer version so quick.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Rumors are a regular OnePlus 7t might be coming, but no upgraded 7 Pro version until next year. OnePlus says they went all out on the 7 Pro, and can't find a way to significantly upgrade it in six months. It's still rated one of the top Android phones of 2019, they don't see a reason to make a newer version so quick.
Gotcha—in that case I can just hope for a little bit of a Black Friday deal then...
If you get the chance, I'd love to see the source for that quote. :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Gotcha—in that case I can just hope for a little bit of a Black Friday deal then...
If you get the chance, I'd love to see the source for that quote. :)

I'd have to search for that. I read it like a month ago on XDA, someone said that OnePlus mentioned no sequel to the 7 Pro so quick, that they made a high end flagship for real this time, and that to make a 7t Pro version would water it down, and also would be hard to top it in just 6 months without being much more expensive.

But who know they might? But what could it really offer? SD855+, ok...maybe better camera and bigger battery? That'd be cool, but will they make a whole new phone just for those upgrades?

HaliZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
I would know a way -just release a version with a non-curved screen.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I agree 100%. That's the biggest thing holding me back, just not a fan of curved edge screens. If it was flat I would already have the 7 Pro
Not a fan of curved screens either. This phone is less egregious than the S10+ though. I don't see nearly as much distortion on the edges when viewing things head on. It's barely there on mine.

Just got yet another software update 9.5.11 with August security patch today. Not even August yet. Nice.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Got a brand new (sealed) OP 7 Pro for just €600 being delivered tomorrow morning.

Really excited for it, especially reading all the very good experience from you guys ;)
Nice! Please post your impressions. It's not the end all be all of phones obviously, but the smoothness and screen will amaze you (and likely spoil you) once you are up and running. Fine piece of kit.

Reactions: Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Nice! Please post your impressions. It's not the end all be all of phones obviously, but the smoothness and screen will amaze you (and likely spoil you) once you are up and running. Fine piece of kit.

I am usually not into the big fat smartphones, but that screen is screaming my name :D

Will post some impressions this weekend.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
first impressions:

that (90Hz) screen...just wowww! I think it's THE main selling point of this 7 Pro.
Scrolling through the menus or webbrowsing is just beautiful.
Screen wise this 7 Pro is the best smartphone of 2019, imho. Just like a few others mentioned here.
the iPhone Xs is my daily driver upon till today.

Everything feels just insanely fast, switching apps also very very fast.

When it comes to the cameras/photos; its not the best, but I guess okay for sharing photos with family and/or social media.
Zooming in on photos and you see clearly the camera is not the selling point of this phone ;)

When it comes to ergonomics; just to be honest....for me it's terrible :eek: (but yeah, I knew that in advance)

Gonna play some this weekend with this absolute beast (the phone, that is :p )

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
In what way are the ergonomics bad for you?

I would say my hands are medium sized. So one handed use of the 7 Pro is out of the question.

About 2 days in now; Oxygen OS is such a nice breath to work with. Well optimized! I think I prefer OOS over One UI.
Hardly any bloat on my 7 Pro.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
Ok, just checking! My biggest dislike about the phone is weight. But apart from that, I love everything else. I actually like the slightly curved screen edges. And it is lovely and fast.

Reactions: Harthag and Geert76

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Hmmm

I've owned my Almond OP7 Pro for a few weeks now and I do believe it's the best phone I've ever owned.

Absolutely love the screen, and that 90 Herz refresh rate hype is real.

Love how quick those updates are (already 2 in the last week) and Nova atop Oxygen is brilliant.

With my last few phones including wireless charging, initially I was bummed. But Warp charging is the real deal- from 0 to 100 in an hour and some change is noice.

And that on-screen fingerprint is as fast as any on the market (on-screen or a hardware button).

What else?

The speakers are very great(alllllllmost as good as an iPhone- low end leaves a bit to be desired).

Playing games is among the best experiences on Android, especially with the screen on offer.

Battery is really good, in my estimation.

But usage mileage will vary, of course.

All that being said, if I had to live with just one phone for the next year, OP7 Pro would be my choice.

Oh, I enjoy taking photos with this phone; having three different cameras, that do three different things more than proficiently is awesome sauce.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.