Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
I like OnePlus phones but the camera has always been the one major downside. I’m excited that they are partnering with Hasselbld to attempt to make improvements but I think Apple and Google have proven that the imagine processing (machine learning) may be more important that the camera glass itself.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I like OnePlus phones but the camera has always been the one major downside. I’m excited that they are partnering with Hasselbld to attempt to make improvements but I think Apple and Google have proven that the imagine processing (machine learning) may be more important that the camera glass itself.

Totally agree! Post imaging processing is sometimes more important than the big hardware upgrades.

Bass

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
UK
I'll keep an eye on it, but I don't think I'd go back to OnePlus (I had a 7 Pro for about a year and a half, and it was a great phone but I moved back to a Pixel in January and am loving the experience again).

I wouldn't be surprised if their cameras underwhelmed again and, as Awesomesince86 said, they have dropped the ball massively on the software update side of things. I think they are going through a cycle of releasing new phones so regularly now, that they forget about their old ones and keeping them up to date. For instance, Android 12 DPs are coming out now, whilst the 7T/7 Pro is still in the beta phase of Android 11. It's not good enough.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I like oneplus and what they have done but I don't understand how after 8 phones they are still struggling with the camera

I believe that's the internal decision within parent company. Oppo has to stay flagship product with flagship features and price while OP is some weird hybrid between Oppo spin off for western markets but discount product at the same time. So something has to give right? But I would assume things are changing now that OP is not in a discount market as much as before. From what I can tell and I maybe wrong, OP9 Pro and Find X3 Pro will have the same set of sensors for all three essential shooters. X3 Pro does microscope thing while OP9 Pro will do panorama thing instead.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
More leaks. This is shaping to be quite a phone. Fastest charging phone around

6f3c1d726e17f61c1a42897a06e42234.jpg

Reactions: ColdShadow

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
$1100 for the 9 Pro, LOL, I'll pass. Aren't they running the Chinese software on the OnePlus 9's sold in China, but will still use Oxygen OS for now elsewhere, some rumors saying that might change, and they go full OPPO soon.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
So with OnePlus shooting up to sky high prices now, it's time for the next "OnePlus One" type flagship killer again, and it's not OP. I loved the original OnePlus One, it was $299 and at that time flagships phones were selling for like $700, best thing was the clean smooth OS, Cyanogenmod and had great battery life.

Who is the next OnePlus type phone, selling a spec'd out smartphone for half the price, so that'd be like a $499 phone.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Marques says " It's a pretty good phone, but the same old, same old, in regards to a OnePlus phone and the camera, overall it's a fast and smooth OS, with good battery life of 5h SoT. "

Basically he's saying it's an ok phone, not amazing, But pretty good, with ok battery life and a decent camera, but the price keeps going up year to year.

HARD PASS. No offense, but you have to be a special kind of stupid to blow $1200 on this Chinese phone. OnePlus has officially jumped the shark. I think their OnePlus 8 Pro was their best flagship they made, and at the $799 price it was selling for last year, was a very good deal, for a very good phone. But $1200 for the 9 Pro, and now it's just an ok phone, uh nope.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Shame how one plus has gone from flagship killer to now being priced similar to everybody else. For the price and if you want the best android phone and you are willing to spend 1k+ the s21 ultra is the best and only option.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm no Samsung fan, but if your going to spend $1,100+ on an Android phone today, it's gonna be the Galaxy Note 21, Never an LG crap, or even my fav Google Pixel, and certainly not OnePlus. Not sure what OnePlus is thinking here, going the $1,200 smartphone price, that's insane, and even more so by them.

I can't believe I am still using this iPhone 12 Pro Max, I actually like it and I'm pretty satisfied with it, 3 months in, and my 12 Pro Max was $999, which is cheaper than the 9 Pro, but at least this iPhone holds it's value and gets great support.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
how is the rest of the phone, beside camera?
do they work?
do i need a google account to use an app?

they look nice and are not big brother.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Marques says " It's a pretty good phone, but the same old, same old, in regards to a OnePlus phone and the camera, overall it's a fast and smooth OS, with good battery life of 5h SoT. "

Basically he's saying it's an ok phone, not amazing, But pretty good, with ok battery life and a decent camera, but the price keeps going up year to year.

HARD PASS. No offense, but you have to be a special kind of stupid to blow $1200 on this Chinese phone. OnePlus has officially jumped the shark. I think their OnePlus 8 Pro was their best flagship they made, and at the $799 price it was selling for last year, was a very good deal, for a very good phone. But $1200 for the 9 Pro, and now it's just an ok phone, uh nope.

At this point I am hesitant to rely on these initial reports as fully accurate. Depending which I which I watch / read they deliver different impressions and results. For me it says this is worth a further look to replace my failing Razer.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The shutter lag is ridiculous!! Seriously, for a $1000 phone with Hasselblad name on it, with a top notch chipset, and they have this severe shutter lag? Even my cheap $250 Poco doesn't have this issue. This is laughable.

Bass

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
UK
As I expected, the cameras seem pretty underwhelming.

OnePlus unfortunately, and I say this having owned what was a great phone in the 7 Pro for a couple of years before I went back to a Pixel (4XL), is a no go for me going forward. Samsung now updates it's phones for longer, and turns around updates quicker, whereas OnePlus almost seems to treat it's older models as an afterthought, pushing out more and more phones these days. I mean, it won't be long before the 9T and 9T Pro and out!

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Weak camera specs and visible lag. With the price increase to boot I don’t see why this would be an option over the S line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.