Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Battery life reviews say it's just ok, not bad, but not amazing.

A phone this super spec'd and OnePlus's mantra of "Never settle" this phone should at least have a 5,000mAh battery.

And then the camera, yeah it's better then previous OnePlus phones, but that's not saying much. It's still not as good as the current competition.

But now the price of the phone is up there, high with the big names, but it's just clearly not as good as the S21 Ultra or 12 Pro Max.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
They need to stay in the minor leagues, they are not ready even at number 9 somehow if all these early reports are valid

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Battery life reviews say it's just ok, not bad, but not amazing.

A phone this super spec'd and OnePlus's mantra of "Never settle" this phone should at least have a 5,000mAh battery.

And then the camera, yeah it's better then previous OnePlus phones, but that's not saying much. It's still not as good as the current competition.

But now the price of the phone is up there, high with the big names, but it's just clearly not as good as the S21 Ultra or 12 Pro Max.

To be fair, OP has taken a difference approach to the battery life problem than other companies. Rather than put in battery saving modes, aggressive app killing, giant batteries, or lower resolution displays OP has just increased the speed or their wired and wireless charging to lead the industry. Just "ok" battery life is passable when the battery can charge from 0-100 in 30 minutes, which for the record is insane.

But yeah, the camera is a joke. When you hype up a feature that much, it better be special. Funny thing is, like another reviewer mentioned, if OP hadnt said anything about the camera most would be pleasantly surprised with the results. But because they went on and on about their partnership with Hasselblad, it created high expectations. Their own marketing team shot them in the foot.

With the camera issues, software updates slowing, and the price there are just too many better options in that range. Drop this into the $800 range and its a great phone.

Reactions: TheBestAccount

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Last year's OnePlus 8 Pro for $799 was a killer deal and an amazing phone. For Android phone releases in 2020 it was right up there as a super smartphone. Maybe not #1 best but still up pretty high.

But this new 9 Pro for the crazy $1100+ price and it's really just a typical 2021 Android phone.

OnePlus are douchebags for every year shooting up the prices. I know all phones have gone up in price, but not as rapidly as OnePlus. They need to stay in that mid range $749 price bracket for the Pro model. But not pushing $1200 for an OPO phone LOL no way.

And they blow on supporting phones over a year old.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Personally i think the regular One Plus 9 is the one to go for. Reasonably priced at £629 with the Sd 888, Haselbad colour profile and same amount of battery, but with a flat screen rather than curved.

The more I look at this, Oneplus 9 vs Oneplus 9 Pro looks a lot like the iPhone 12 Pro vs iPhone 12 Pro Max discussion.
Looking forward as we start seeing more detail and live comparisson, this will become clearer.

Reactions: snipr125

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
I had a 1+ 7 Pro, it was a good phone with a great price. But, the camera was weak and updates were slow. I don't see 1+ being competitive in today's market with their ridiculous pricing.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

Last edited:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Considering the hype about the camera, it's a bit disappointing really.

Nice phone though, night mode is great.

Pricing is on point.

Reactions: dk001

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What a joke, especially after the big theatrics and build up. I really hope reviewers tear them up if they really didn't deliver
Let's hope so, but most of them probably want to keep getting freebies from OnePlus.

Mkbhd: so far the only one that pointed out the severe shutter lag. I give him credit for that, even though he still ended his review with overall positive note.

MrMobile: more balanced, pointed out the horrible typing experience (should be a huge deal breaker for anyone) and the prices, although missed on the shutter lag. Kudos.

Mrwhosetheboss: Oppo Shill. Pitting the OnePlus with Samsung S21 ultra, and despite Samsung winning majority of his comparisons, he still justified the OnePlus 9 Pro based on the price. But Samsung has the S21+, which is the same as 21 ultra minus the telephoto and also cost less. And no mention of the shutter lag. This guy officially goes to my nowatch list.

Last edited:
Reactions: airbusking

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I had a 1+ 7 Pro, it was a good phone with a great price. But, the camera was weak and updates were slow. I don't see 1+ being competitive in today's market with their ridiculous pricing.
Yup. Back then, you can excuse the drawbacks due to the lower price. But now when the price is on par, OnePlus has to be seen with the same glasses as Samsung and Apple, and some major issues should be inexcusable.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Yeah I like the phone but its not worth the piece. I'm not a heavy camera guy but it's not what I'd pay a grand for. The regular would do for most people.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Been checking the Pro out and reading/watching all kinds of content.
Biggest take-away: OnePlus needs a camera software update. Soon.
Other take-away: It is a flagship level device and pretty much what I thought it would be.

When you look at the Pro and compare it to other flagship devices, it holds it’s own. The camera issues so far appear to be a software problem. Not sure just what folks were expecting at this price point however from all I have seen it is a contender to other top tier devices. People can nit-pick but you can do that with any device at this level.

It will be interesting to see how OnePlus addresses the issues.

For those interested, here is a decent camera comparisson between the 9Pro, 12 ProMax, and 21 Ultra.

Last edited:
Reactions: magicman32

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Other take-away: It is a flagship level device and pretty much what I thought it would be.

When you look at the Pro and compare it to other flagship devices, it holds it’s own. The camera issues so far appear to be a software problem. Not sure just what folks were expecting at this price point however from all I have seen it is a contender to other top tier devices. People can nit-pick but you can do that with any device at this level.

For those interested, here is a decent camera comparisson between the 9Pro, 12 ProMax, and 21 Ultra.
max tech did a blind camera test with the same phones. one plus was a distant 3rd. one test the ultra and pro max was even and the other ultra won by one point.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

For $1000, yeah, there will be a lot of nitpicking for sure. And not only that, can OnePlus have the same 3 years of updates and 4 years of security patches promise like Samsung?

So far, one strength of the OP9P is just the high res ultra wide camera.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
For $1000, yeah, there will be a lot of nitpicking for sure. And not only that, can OnePlus have the same 3 years of updates and 4 years of security patches promise like Samsung?

This is the biggest thing IMO when considering the OP9 Pro...how does it compare to the competition. Before OP were the only ones making flagship type phones in the mid-tier budget range. Now they've been beaten in that market by Samsung. Google, and Apple. Now that they've brought a phone into the flagship $1k price range, they fast that same competition. And really, what does the OP9 Pro do better than say. the S21 Ultra? You can argue they have a better UI, but thats about it. Everything else is worse and it will probably be the worst supported phone in terms of updates of anything else in that price range. IMO, OP needed to knock it out of the park with the camera system for the OP9 Pro to have a chance and they obviously failed.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

You can bet that.
I upgraded my 11ProMax to the 12PM for the camera primarily.
Replacing my Razer and I want something decent all around and would prefer something other than Samsung.
Want to see how/if 1+ handles the camera as most issues look software driven. Camera is not #1 for my Android replacement but it would be nice to have comparable cameras on both devices.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Looks like the cmera software got a much needed upgrade … of something.

One of the later reviews.
I always admire companies who bring out updates for camera issues to try and fix it and sometimes it does fix the issues but sadly first impressions is what people will base on phones out the gate and repetition is already been done even if it fixes the problems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.