Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Oh you poor soul. Spring's acres of XML era was pretty awful. I avoided that but I did inherit a Spring.Net project a number of years ago. That was like Spring on Java but less mature, with poor documentation, land mines everywhere and ran on top of IIS just because you needed your balls kicking just that little bit harder.

Glad I don't do that now!
We have 2 spring apps I have to deal with on our backend that are a constant thorn in my side, I want them gone and buried so badly.

Reactions: mashdots

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
We have 2 spring apps I have to deal with on our backend that are a constant thorn in my side, I want them gone and buried so badly.

If you saw our platform the Spring stuff would bring tears of joy to your eyes. I'm only still working part time at this outfit because they are paying me danger money not to leave or they are SOL. Just adding to the retirement fund while I concentrate on the academic side of life 🤣

Edit: verbatim port of VB6 desktop app to VB.Net, the guts of which were wrapped in a web app and dragged along for the last 2 decades. They got rid of the VB.Net about 5 years ago but it's basically C# that looks like VB6 still. Occasionally I have to sacrifice a couple of chickens next to it.

Edit 2: before anyone says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", we don't know if it's broke or not because no one dares test it in case they work out it is broken and we'll have to start again.

matsan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2022
Apple killed Flash and I initially had hopes of them killing Java, but alas - it's still around and kicking. In my development toolchains I have tools still using Java and it's a Royal P**A to have them running smooth. Required to have four of these pesky Java runtimes on my system.

$ /usr/libexec/java_home -V
Matching Java Virtual Machines (4):
21.0.2 (arm64) "Eclipse Adoptium" - "OpenJDK 21.0.2" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/temurin-21.jdk/Contents/Home
18.0.2.1 (x86_64) "Azul Systems, Inc." - "Zulu 18.32.13" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-18.jdk/Contents/Home
17.0.9 (arm64) "Oracle Corporation" - "Java SE 17.0.9" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-17.jdk/Contents/Home
1.8.0_392 (x86_64) "Azul Systems, Inc." - "Zulu 8.74.0.17" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-8.jdk/Contents/Home
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/temurin-21.jdk/Contents/Home

Sigh!

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Let's hope you don't have a technical position with anything to do with the Internet. If you do, god help your employer.

To be fair the poster will probably do a better job than our technical management which seems to go to conferences and generate a lot of expenses and come back talking about Kubernetes, the cloud and how we should outsource everything to India, then spend loads of money on that and deliver nothing and then magically disappear and be replaced with people who do exactly the same thing again.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
So you’re saying younger Java devs stand to rake in a fortune after the old guard retires? ;)

Personally though I actually do work a lot more in python, though I occasionally have to touch java code for some of our backend apps

No because once the Java old guard retires, AI will be used to just convert that old Java code into Python! 🤣

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
To put things into perspective…
When Mac OSX Snow Leopard was released, it broke Adobe CS software. Photoshop was broken, InDesign, etc. it wasn’t until 10.6.8 that Snow Leopard became the masterpiece that history remembers.

Speaking of Adobe-Apple relationship: this somehow happens still today. Every MacOS release breaks something with Adobe. Adobe blames Apple, Apple blames Adobe.

For example: InDesign suffered a flickering bug on Sonoma for months. Only recently it has been fixed through an Apple update.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Does anybody remember "Enterprise Java Beans"? Those were a complete and total nightmare! I'm sure there's probably still some running somewhere! 🤣

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Well, outside your little Apple-desktop-and-apps-world there is the great wide internet with big business servers, which are mainly driven by Java - surprise! :eek:
All developers for that well needed backends are now extremely handycapped - simple as that! Apple should asap provide a patch, or the fellow developers insisting of using a mac will be target for laughter from colleagues... 🤣
IKR?!? I mean GEEZ! Nobody is able to Java develop now because of this!

Think of the internet, people! Wake up!

All backend Java deving has now completely stopped as a result. The internet is doomed!

Get your bug out bags and run for the hills. The End is nigh.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
So funny, this only proves you know absolutely nothing about software development, and since you don’t, why are you even here? Because you’re a fan… of a brand? Lol

Sadly I just heard that the EU is going to force Oracle to convert anything that uses Java to Progressive Web Apps or they will fine Oracle 20 Billion dollars! 🤣

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I don't use Java much, but I thought Apple had backed out of it completely and Oracle was maintaining it solo now.
That might be indeed that case. Apple obviously is utilizing Swift now. You still read about Python usage with Macs these days with its more extensive standard library then Java. Google still has its Go language as another choice.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: jlnr and wilhoitm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.