Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewill586

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
No because once the Java old guard retires, AI will be used to just convert that old Java code into Python! 🤣

Apart from C. That just comes and it makes other things go.

This thread pique my interest into the most popular computing languages based on tutorial searches.
python is at 29% whereas Java is at 16%. So, Java is still not dead.

it seems that python is the easiest language to learn but still not as powerful and versatile as c++ and Java.

i started with pascal and it was easy to learn c after that.

c++ can be coded like c, but the programming logic is quite different in object oriented programming.

anyone remember awk and perl?

wtn

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
United States
I use a few Java-based tools, so I'm glad I saw this story before my upgrade to Sonoma 14.4 kicked off.

Will hold off a bit.

upgrade.png

Reactions: grad

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Java will not go away anytime soon. But more important, a lot of newer language are built on top of the JVM. BTW, a lot of code in the Apple ecosystem is still based on Objective-C, which is not 90's but 80's.

It just that there are a ton of reasons you still go with objective C over swift in iOS. Biggest one is some core frameworks and things objective C can do that swift can not.

All the big crash monitoring sdks are objective c based and do nothing in swift. iOS itself core is objective c. Any application on iOS that is more than 7-8 years old still has a lot of objective c.

Any applications using SQLite or coredata is using heavy objective c based items in it. Even if app is not using objective c. All logging is objective c base frameworks.

Joys of old stuff. I find as an iOS developer being comfortable going into Objective c a huge asset and has gotten me interviews and even multiple job offers because I am not scared of it and comfortable when I need to. I don’t like going into it but am perfectly happy doing it and have zero fear of it. Now I am amount a dying group of iOS developers but it is a huge asset. I will freely admit I am rusty at it but can read it and do it.

Zapski

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2021
Speaking only as someone who supported consumer Macs and not Devs for 20 odd years, I spent a lot of time removing the malware that gets installed when consumers install Java. There’s some stupid adware garbage in the installer that would regularly mess up my clients who needlessly installed it

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
So funny, this only proves you know absolutely nothing about software development, and since you don’t, why are you even here? Because you’re a fan… of a brand? Lol

There is a reason as even an iOS developer I tend to drag my feet updating my dev machine. It was not until January did I update it to the current OS. I was using Xcode 14 until then all because of **** Apple broke in Xcode 15 and Xcode 14 is not supported on the current OS.

Xcode and major iOS updates always scare me as that is when stuff breaks that has worked fine for years.

This made worse by lovely bugs I had to scramble to fix as the first release made on Xcode 15 caused a crash to happen in code that has not been touch in 10 years. Real kicker is their is another crash related to the deprecated method that is in Apple own car play framework and I can not fix that one as it is Apple own code causing it. A method they deprecated iOS 10 car play is using it for image resizing.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Java NullPointerException! I never want to see one of those again! And let's not even bring up Maven! Thank God for more modern programming languages!

Reactions: cogzero

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
Well, outside your little Apple-desktop-and-apps-world there is the great wide internet with big business servers, which are mainly driven by Java - surprise! :eek:
All developers for that well needed backends are now extremely handycapped - simple as that! Apple should asap provide a patch, or the fellow developers insisting of using a mac will be target for laughter from colleagues... 🤣
Who says the devs all use macs?

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
To put things into perspective…
When Mac OSX Snow Leopard was released, it broke Adobe CS software. Photoshop was broken, InDesign, etc. it wasn’t until 10.6.8 that Snow Leopard became the masterpiece that history remembers.
Exactly. The issue isn’t just the fact that there are bugs, bugs happen. The issue is the length of time Apple takes to fix them. (Of course more testing pre-release isn’t a bad thing either.)

Reactions: dricci

DougieS

macrumors regular
May 31, 2019
Unfortunately, JetBrains IDEs (PyCharm, Goland, etc.) are based on Java, so many developers are affected even if they don't develop Java apps.
Yup, I was wondering why I was having rare crashes with PhpStorm recently. Thought it was to do with some project files I added at first.
I don’t develop in Java but at least the crashes aren’t happening frequently so not causing any major issues.

Krazykev

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021
I've seen a pretty big shift away from Java and toward Python in my role that involves IT and business consulting. Not sure if there are any hard stats but I will say that Python is typically what the younger developer set seems to be using. This is of course anecdotal and I would be interested in seeing actual numbers if they're available.

• Love
Reactions: wilhoitm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.